Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
A CTN can go IA from some shops, but the positions are rare enough and there are enough CTNs that actually want to deploy such that I've only heard of volunteers doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So anyone know anything about the day-to-day life as a 35P in the Army? Does it depend a lot on which language you get assigned for DLI?

Bonus question: same for 35T and 35N.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Aranan posted:

Bonus question: same for 35T

35T, like most jobs in the army, is dependent on where you are and your leadership. AIT is 30-something weeks now and you learn a lot of neat things, get some college credits and even get some certifications (3M Fiber optic, Security + and they're planning on Networking)

I (and another guy I work with) spent a lot of time working in an arms room because they didn't have a slot for me. I went to a place with a ton of 35T's, I don't know his story but it's probably the same. I don't think that's going to happen as much as it used to, luckily. The army is remembering what we do now and with cutbacks to contracts going up and new systems getting fielded we will be needed again.

Right now, if you're in a shop, you can work on computers, army systems, network admin and maintenance or a combination of all of those things. There are other units that lean ONLY on equipment in planes or UAVs. The way I've seen it you'll get a call from the people you support saying "Hey, this is broken" They'll either bring it to you or (more commonly) you'll go to it. Normally you can take a look and fix it right there, if not you'll go order parts and replace them as it comes in. After that you do a little time filling out a workorder and closing it in the system so they can track how many hours the shop works.

That's pretty much it, it's a pretty chill job if you like fixing things. If you go to a unit that's not just UAVs or a specific plane system you will most likely have to work on a TON of different systems but most of them aren't too terrible. If you don't know something you can network with people and probably find someone that's an expert on it fairly easily, if not the manuals usually help out. AIT is long enough and they teach you enough about electronic theory that you can figure out how things are supposed to go from a manual and troubleshoot it yourself.

If you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
If I reenlist in the Army Reserves will I get to keep my benefits like MGIB-SR and the Student Loan Repayment or do they terminate after the initial enlistment?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Huskalator posted:

If I reenlist in the Army Reserves will I get to keep my benefits like MGIB-SR and the Student Loan Repayment or do they terminate after the initial enlistment?

You are eligible for the MGIB-SR benefits as long as you are a member of the Selected Reserve.

The Student Loan Repayment thing I know nothing about.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I went out today and first stopped into the Air Force office. They were playing home alone on the TV, and it was all very office-ish... Lots of brushed metal accents and frosted glass. The recruiter told me they strictly don't do age waivers. Not a big deal.

Drove down the street to the Navy recruiter's office (which is shared with Marines and Army). The place was a huge departure to the Air Force Office, in that it was dank and concrete with lots of grey paint. The Navy office was closed, in fact the Marine office was the only one that was open, and they were bustling. It was filled with propaganda posters and workout equipment. They did have a TV, but it was playing recruitment videos on mute. The Gunnery Sgt was nice enough to fill me in on the Navy recruiter's hours, and try to recruit me (gently caress some of that). It led to a sort of awkward situation where he was underhandedly insulting the Navy to sway me. I'll be back after the first of the year.

I posted this experience because I'm assuming this contrast between the AF and the rest of the military is indicative of the overall situation. Sort of funny, but at the same time, it seems a bit bizarre.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Haha that actually sounds about right yes

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Was home alone playing on a flat screen? Because if so, then yeah, that's pretty much 100% accurate for the military at large.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I went out today and first stopped into the Air Force office. They were playing home alone on the TV, and it was all very office-ish... Lots of brushed metal accents and frosted glass. The recruiter told me they strictly don't do age waivers. Not a big deal.

Drove down the street to the Navy recruiter's office (which is shared with Marines and Army). The place was a huge departure to the Air Force Office, in that it was dank and concrete with lots of grey paint. The Navy office was closed, in fact the Marine office was the only one that was open, and they were bustling. It was filled with propaganda posters and workout equipment. They did have a TV, but it was playing recruitment videos on mute. The Gunnery Sgt was nice enough to fill me in on the Navy recruiter's hours, and try to recruit me (gently caress some of that). It led to a sort of awkward situation where he was underhandedly insulting the Navy to sway me. I'll be back after the first of the year.

I posted this experience because I'm assuming this contrast between the AF and the rest of the military is indicative of the overall situation. Sort of funny, but at the same time, it seems a bit bizarre.

Every high school kid who has ever thought he wanted military benefits without going through military bullshit has thought Air Force.

It's not entirely accurate but the generalization exists for a reason.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
There are exceptions to every rule but GENERALLY the Airforce is the least "military" and the Marine Corps the most. It's usually seen as Marines, Army, Navy, Airforce. I'm sure there are some lame rear end Marine units and some high-speed airforce ones but most of the time this is a fair view. The Navy seems to vary a bit in this, there can be a lot of rear end-busting hard work in it compared to other branches.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hardcore Navy Job: Diver

Lame Navy Job: Changing lightbulbs on an aircraft carrier

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Maybe it's just the people I talk to but the navy seems to have a lot of labor intensive jobs that require lovely working hours and don't really have a benefit. If you're joining the military purely for benefits and don't give a gently caress about the job itself, you may as well get the easiest one you can, since whether you're shamming or busting your rear end you get paid the same.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Maybe it's just the people I talk to but the navy seems to have a lot of labor intensive jobs that require lovely working hours and don't really have a benefit. If you're joining the military purely for benefits and don't give a gently caress about the job itself, you may as well get the easiest one you can, since whether you're shamming or busting your rear end you get paid the same.

I would go CTN in Navy since I would want to get good working experience along the way. My Marine buddy told me that as long as you can test into your job, you can choose whatever you want. He told me the job is more of an umbrella and you have no real say in what you'll be doing under said umbrella. As long as I get decent resume beef I don't mind. The desire for hard work is part of why I'm doing this... assuming that hard work will lead to progress. My cousin has done time with Marines and Air Force, and I've consulted him on quite a bit of this. He told me flat out the Navy is the hardest working branch.

Squandering away time in a poo poo retail job for the last 6 months is killing me, and I swear to god the next person who says "At least it's a job, and it's easy." is getting stabbed in the throat. I'm not looking for easy, I'm looking for progress.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JesusDoesVegas posted:

assuming that hard work will lead to progress.

Last time I warn you: Do.Not.Enlist.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

JesusDoesVegas posted:

He told me the job is more of an umbrella and you have no real say in what you'll be doing under said umbrella. As long as I get decent resume beef I don't mind. The desire for hard work is part of why I'm doing this... assuming that hard work will lead to progress.

If you have questions about CTN I can answer them. Right now it's the fastest track to getting to do cool poo poo in the military. The other branches will have you go though their A schools just to get into the Navy A school (which is kind of like a C school).

Yea, don't enlist and all that. I enlisted, at 29 years old, with a college degree. I've been in for a year and a half. My job is awesome and I can apply all the classroom work I've done into credit hours for my masters degree. I'm a single E4 that gets BAH. If you do it right you can avoid a lot of bullshit that everyone else hates.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You've only been in for a year and a half and you're an E-4?

gently caress the air force promotion cycle :smith:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Had to sign a 6 year contract, but you get free E4. I'm not sure they're still doing that for the rate or not though.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I would go CTN in Navy since I would want to get good working experience along the way. My Marine buddy told me that as long as you can test into your job, you can choose whatever you want. He told me the job is more of an umbrella and you have no real say in what you'll be doing under said umbrella. As long as I get decent resume beef I don't mind. The desire for hard work is part of why I'm doing this... assuming that hard work will lead to progress. My cousin has done time with Marines and Air Force, and I've consulted him on quite a bit of this. He told me flat out the Navy is the hardest working branch.

Squandering away time in a poo poo retail job for the last 6 months is killing me, and I swear to god the next person who says "At least it's a job, and it's easy." is getting stabbed in the throat. I'm not looking for easy, I'm looking for progress.

You should enlist and throw it in peoples faces when that hard work makes you happy, they don't even know you man :shobon:.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

DrCuntmuffins posted:

You've only been in for a year and a half and you're an E-4?

gently caress the air force promotion cycle :smith:

Waivers to SPC at 18 months TIS in the Army. :smug:

Does it really take 36 months to hit E-4 in the AF?

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Secret Spoon posted:

You should enlist and throw it in peoples faces when that hard work makes you happy, they don't even know you man :shobon:.

lol ya ya ya... I'm not as angsty as all that. Just jaded by the job search while watching my debt rise.

Kabul I appreciate the warning. I'll be sure to post back here in a year and tell you you're right if I do go through with this.

EDIT - instead of thread hijacking, I'm just messaging Lucius.

VVV - That's what this thread is for right?

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 28, 2012

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Your best bet is to talk to the actual CTN here and ignore the people who tell you not to join no matter what its literally hitler!!!!!

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DoktorLoken posted:

it takes 30-36 months depending on which contract you choose or what grade you come in as :)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DrCuntmuffins posted:

it takes 30-36 months depending on which contract you choose or what grade you come in as :)

A nice set of tits and some volunteer work makes it 20 months TIS, FWIW.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

DoktorLoken posted:

Did they bump it up? I picked up SPC with 13 months TIS.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
6 months to e-4, navy :smug:

this shouldve been a red flag :smith:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

6 months to e-4, navy :smug:

this shouldve been a red flag :smith:

I put on E-4 after 3.5 years TIS.

loving air force.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

I put on E-4 after 3.5 years TIS.

loving air force.

Man, how the gently caress, I put on E-5 at two years in the Navy, gently caress the air force.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

bengy81 posted:

Man, how the gently caress, I put on E-5 at two years in the Navy, gently caress the air force.

Came in E-1 with a 4 year contract.. I was actually promoted at 3 years but was deployed and poo poo got messed up because I wasnt with an AF unit or under their PERSCO.. So when I got back and was still wearing A1C at my unit the first sergeant did some digging and found out I had been eligible for promotion or whatever 6 months prior. Anyway I came in to work and they surprised me with it. I got I think 4 or 5 of the months of back pay too which was actually not that much money at all.
Would have been nice to be a SrA 6 months earlier tho so I didn't have to take poo poo from all those other E-4's.

My E-5 promotion also got equally hosed up.

E-6 went smoothly (enough) though.

I just have bad luck.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I got five at two years in the Army because I'm a battle proven super-trooper. :smug:

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
puttin on 6 after like 8 years :smithicide:

over half my tis as an e5 :smithicide:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 29, 2012

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Aranan posted:

So anyone know anything about the day-to-day life as a 35P in the Army? Does it depend a lot on which language you get assigned for DLI?

Bonus question: same for 35T and 35N.

It sucks and no it has nothing to do with what language you get assigned. Understand this, once your rear end leaves Goodfellow, kiss your language goodbye because you won't be seeing it again until you get to an RSOC or to the fort (Meade)

You will literally waste all of that time and effort to become a poorly trained 35N when you inevitably deploy to a country that doesn't speak the language you were trained in, but that's okay, because I have yet to meet a 35N that was as good as his job as a 35P. I don't know why. It just is.

If you're smart and can knock out a 270 or above on your APFT consistently, try and go to SF group. It's dope. 35Ps are hit up heavily for a lot of special assignments too, and if you're competent, physically fit, and you are well rounded (as in, you have other certificates or training besides your language training from the army) the sky is the limit. Those opportunities will become apparent to you throughout the course of your career.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Two and a half years to E5 Navy. :smugdog:

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Commoners posted:

Two and a half years to E5 Navy. :smugdog:

Marginally acceptable aptitude to commissioned Army officer. :chord:

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
E1 to E6 in five years and I never had to go to any of those lovely "leadership" schools. Army is gay, promotions are gay, smoke weed everyday.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Went and spoke to a recruiter today. Taking my ASVAB on Wednesday, and the jobs available to me will dictate whether or not I proceed.

The recruiter said something that concerned me. He said Army and Marines have a habit of letting you sign up for a job (MOS, or whatever its called in the given branch) and after boot they can change it on you without your consent. He stated Navy DOESN'T do that. How true is this?

Lastly, some advice. I'm current'y on 50mg Zoloft, but I already know I'll have to be off of it, so I'm starting the process of slowly weening myself off. If you are in this position, just don't mention anything to the recruiter. I was upfront and he had to take me to the back and tell me it disqualified me, then let me retake the questionnaire and give the right answer. This wasn't an issue for me, but your mileage may vary... best to just not mention anything if you're already going to be off it and you know you can handle it.

My half sleeve wasn't even a concern to him, since its not drug/gang/robbing old lady related.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Kind of true. About 6 months after Army OSUT I got involuntarily reclassed from tanker to scout. Is this going to happen straight after basic for you? No. It happens when the dickheads in charge of recruiting numbers completely gently caress up and recruit way to many of one MOS and they desperately need to push some people elsewhere. This does not, historically, happen very often at all. As for the other services I have no loving clue.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Went and spoke to a recruiter today. Taking my ASVAB on Wednesday, and the jobs available to me will dictate whether or not I proceed.

The recruiter said something that concerned me. He said Army and Marines have a habit of letting you sign up for a job (MOS, or whatever its called in the given branch) and after boot they can change it on you without your consent. He stated Navy DOESN'T do that. How true is this?

Army guarantees your Basic and your AIT (mos training) before you swear in. not caring here is an exception to that and it generally doesnt happen because that cost the army more money, and 19K were downsizing and they were upping 19D size.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

not caring here posted:

Kind of true. About 6 months after Army OSUT I got involuntarily reclassed from tanker to scout. Is this going to happen straight after basic for you? No. It happens when the dickheads in charge of recruiting numbers completely gently caress up and recruit way to many of one MOS and they desperately need to push some people elsewhere. This does not, historically, happen very often at all. As for the other services I have no loving clue.

Unless contracts in the Army and Marine Corps are totally different, you had the option of walking away when they tried to give you a different job than the one you signed up for. Unless you never had a job guarantee to begin with.

JesusDoesVegas, your Navy recruiter is just telling you bullshit that recruiters tend to. The Marine Corps falls under the Dept of Navy. All of our paperwork is almost identical. As long as you have the job guarantee in your contract, if at any time that job is no longer available, your contract is void because the military didn't uphold their end of your agreement. You can walk away from the military or take another job.

If this happens after you go through recruit training, the vast majority of people will accept another job. After all, who wants to go through the lovely initiation and then have nothing to show for it. However, some choose to walk away and are released with an entry level discharge and do not have to report military service on job applications. As far as I know, this exists DoD wide.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 4, 2013

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Granted my experience was from like five years ago but the reason I specifically did not join the Air Force is that their paperwork states, once you untangle the legalese, 'You go to basic and if you graduate this is your MOS. Probably. Unless we change our minds, in which case gently caress you do what we say'. I never went any further than that with the Air Force and went around the corner to the Army recruiter asking for their enlistment agreement. That one was as Hekk says, 'This is your MOS and we are contractually obligated to let you attempt the training'. Now if you gently caress up that training and fail out of it that's a whole different ballgame, but you were guaranteed the attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
We can only realistically guarantee your MOS for your AIT anyhow, not 3+ years. If you signed up as a Bradley Maintainer, then magically in a year the Army got rid of 100% of the Bradleys, of course you're going to face reclass. And even then it likely wouldn't be "mandatory", you would just have a bar to reenlistment unless you reclassed, and be shuffled off somewhere lame to finish your contract.

• Locked thread