Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So I received the ps3 version for Christmas, so once I get back from break I should be able to participate finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Let me just move this for the new page.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Just signed up for PS3. Haven't played in months but annoying people with X-23 never gets old.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

cams posted:

Just signed up for PS3. Haven't played in months but annoying people with X-23 never gets old.

God, I hate fighting X-23s :argh: TRY THIS! TRY THIS! x1000

She's second to Nova for characters I hate to fight based purely on voice alone.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

theguy2687 posted:

God, I hate fighting X-23s :argh: TRY THIS! TRY THIS! x1000

She's second to Nova for characters I hate to fight based purely on voice alone.
That's cool, I play X23/Nova/Sent. Come play with me!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

cams posted:

I would probably explode. *not an exaggeration

I won't be near my PS3 until Jan. 9th, but once I'm back you'll see me on Thursdays.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
For some reason Mibbit doesn't seem to want to connect me to the mvc3 room...

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST
Signed up! Gonna try this again.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results:ohdearsass:

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/psmgoons29
First Place: Shiki Dan Julk/Dormammu/Sentinel
Second Place: Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull
Third Place: Hawaiian Shirt Nova/Frank West/Doctor Doom

:qq:

Next week Thursday January 3rd 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/aH75Hh4ou3

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xbce8pb6u8

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 29, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry I didn't show guys, something came up.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Signed up, maybe the usual token 360 guy will also wander in and we can get a game in or two maybe. It says Fooblat is signed up already, that's not the same Hulk/Haggar guy from the streams, is it?

Is the IRC room active at all outside of Thursday nights?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Merton Blask posted:

It says Fooblat is signed up already, that's not the same Hulk/Haggar guy from the streams, is it?

Nah b, that's not him. :wink:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Merton Blask posted:

Is the IRC room active at all outside of Thursday nights?

It's usually got well over 80 people in it and is sitting at 101 right this second

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

It's usually got well over 80 people in it and is sitting at 101 right this second

He's talking about #sa-mvc3.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Brosnan posted:

He's talking about #sa-mvc3.

Oh okay.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I've been trying to pick up Haggar recently, but I am having trouble figuring out what his best solo and team BnBs are. It seems every Haggar player has a different combo. What's the best place to start with him? I'm running Haggar-a/Taskmaster-a/X-23-b.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Figure out how you can use your assists to convert off an otg cr.C->forward+C. Once you can do that, you'll probably find a 100% combo pretty quickly.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Jmcrofts posted:

Figure out how you can use your assists to convert off an otg cr.C->forward+C. Once you can do that, you'll probably find a 100% combo pretty quickly.

Pretty much this. Figure out how to relaunch off of assist calls + OTG cr.C -> f.C, figure out if your THC does worthwhile damage/has relaunch possibilities afterwards, and also probably figure out the best way to use your assists to combo into rapid fire fists, because that fully mashed + a DHC into taskmaster will probably do a ton of damage on it's own.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

cams posted:

Clearly you should play X23/Nova/Chris

TRY THIS LIKE THAT SUCK ON THIS

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I see people do a lot of different things for the hard knockdown. Is there any difference between air pipe->wildswing/j.S or headbutt->j.S?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Padical posted:

I see people do a lot of different things for the hard knockdown. Is there any difference between air pipe->wildswing/j.S or headbutt->j.S?

There are some subtle differences.

Early in a combo, you can do sj.MMH->pipe/j.S and it works. After a relaunch or two, hitstun scaling will break that. So then you'll have to do sj.H, U+H, S.

Also note that ending your air combo with wild swing leaves you point blank next to them when you OTG, which is necessary for some assist conversions.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
That helps quite a bit. Thanks!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Why? Why would you suggest this? :saddowns:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

My favorite team is Spider-Man/Sentinel just for the voice clips when you do a DHC.

"How about a nice - SENTINEL!"

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World

Endorph posted:

My favorite team is Spider-Man/Sentinel just for the voice clips when you do a DHC.

Along this same line of thought, if you DHC from Hulk into Haggar Level 3, right as you slam them on the ground you can hear hulk say "BYE BYE."

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Fun with MarlinPie: Unflying with QCB+S+attack makes you unfly with that button coming out immediately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CdMofaoz4

And for more fun here's his midscreen Doom infinite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChHj6xteVGI

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone here still a newbie at the game? I haven't really played this since last year, and have been itching to play again but every time I go online it's a sad, sad experience. Wouldn't mind finding someone who wants to play a few matches here and there without delusions that we're ever going to be experts.

I need to figure out a team and start practicing with them. I loved Wesker but I think he's just so popular that my mediocre playing makes it even worse since everyone knows his moves. How is Thor these days? I started learning him and liked some of his stuff.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Endorph posted:

I like Nova/Frank, because the combo you do to level up Frank ends with Nova yelling "The Power of FRANK"

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Medullah posted:

How is Thor these days? I started learning him and liked some of his stuff.

He isn't a great character, but that can work in your favor. He is uncommmon enough that a lot of people won't know what to expect when you use him. He also has a large health pool, which is an asset at lower skill levels because the people you play against will need a few combos to kill him. My suggestion is if you like him, use him! I find characters I like, learn them, and build a team around them, and then use the team until it isn't fun any more. At that point, I identify what I didn't like about the team and either tweak the team or start from scratch with a new character that looks interesting. I've learned about half the cast doing that, and I'm never stuck playing something I don't want to just because it's "good". My current team, for example, is Tron/She-Hulk/Sentinel.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

iPodschun posted:

Fun with MarlinPie: Unflying with QCB+S+attack makes you unfly with that button coming out immediately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CdMofaoz4
If that's the glitch that Marlin was hinting at in his twitter the other month I'm pretty unimpressed. Isn't QCB ATK+S to unfly + toss out an attack already one of the essential bits of Iron Man's KK BnB?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I thought the big bit was that you could 100% get tac infinites off of any flyer. Execution barrier way down.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Merton Blask posted:

If that's the glitch that Marlin was hinting at in his twitter the other month I'm pretty unimpressed. Isn't QCB ATK+S to unfly + toss out an attack already one of the essential bits of Iron Man's KK BnB?

I always did the KK BnB with unfly <pause> j.H. It would probably be easier with this technique.

The cool thing about the QCB ATK+S unfly is that it lets you throw out your normal after an unfly without worrying about the delay after unfly during which you cannot use a normal. This makes certain stuff in the game easier to execute. For instance, Iron Man's KK, Nova's lots of H combo, and Sentinel's cha cha. It also makes TAC infinites easier to perform. Anyone who can fly can fly to the lowest fly height then do any button followed by QCB ATK+S unfly to easily continue the infinite. There's no timing involved so the execution is FREE.

Marlin called the effect of QCB ATK+S "buffering a normal during hitstop". While the effect is similar to having buffered a normal during hitstop that's not quite what happens. Unfly with QCB ATK+S cancels the previous move then immediately unflies and does whatever normal you pressed. So, if you unfly too fast, you'll cancel the current normal attack. This is in contrast to a buffered move which waits for the previous move to finish.

Now if this technique worked on fly as well as unfly then we'd really be unlocking the cheap poo poo.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
The important thing is that doing QCB Button + S won't result in a QCB air special coming out. Iron Man KK combo is easy because IM has no QCB specials in the air. If Nova tries to fly H xx unfly H without hitting S+H a Nova Strike will come out instead.

Dren posted:

Now if this technique worked on fly as well as unfly then we'd really be unlocking the cheap poo poo.
Give Sentinel MvC2 fast fly. :getin:

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

Medullah posted:

Anyone here still a newbie at the game? I haven't really played this since last year, and have been itching to play again but every time I go online it's a sad, sad experience. Wouldn't mind finding someone who wants to play a few matches here and there without delusions that we're ever going to be experts.

I need to figure out a team and start practicing with them. I loved Wesker but I think he's just so popular that my mediocre playing makes it even worse since everyone knows his moves. How is Thor these days? I started learning him and liked some of his stuff.

I wouldn't say that I'm new, but I've taken a long hiatus and most of my combos involve nothing more exciting than abcs j.abcs into super into DHCs. I also like dicking around with characters I'm bad with on occasion. If you're on 360, feel free to bug me, GT is Chambragne.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone got any tips for Hawkeye? I'm trying to pick him up, if anyone has any good tips on getting his full screen arrow loops down (the one with the net capture arrow or whatever it's called I'm finding especially difficult) and throw combos, I'd appreciate it tremendously. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to extend Dormmamu's, Taskmaster's or Nova's combos with his Greyhound assist, I'd really appreciate it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You all may or may not be familiar with the concept of using spaced repetition software (SRS) to help learn something.

The idea is that once you learn something there is a rate at which you forget it. A computer program can pretty accurately model how quickly you're forgetting stuff then remind you about it just before you forget, so that you don't. This way you can get the greatest benefit from time you spend studying or practicing. One such program is Anki.

This could be applied in fighting games to help you remember to train combos, setups, escapes vs some setup that someone else has, or whatever.

I wrote a plugin for Anki 2.0 that allows SRK style combo notation in the Anki flashcards to help with practicing Marvel. It looks like this:

If you're interested in using this you can get my plugin by entering the code "69499234" in the Anki plugin download window (it's inside the app) or you can go here to get it, https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/69499234.

There was a thread about the idea of using SRS to help with fighting games a while ago on SRK: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-a-19th-century-german-scientist-could-help-you-win-at-fighting-games.158462/

Dren fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 2, 2013

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone got any tips for Hawkeye? I'm trying to pick him up, if anyone has any good tips on getting his full screen arrow loops down (the one with the net capture arrow or whatever it's called I'm finding especially difficult) and throw combos, I'd appreciate it tremendously. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to extend Dormmamu's, Taskmaster's or Nova's combos with his Greyhound assist, I'd really appreciate it.

I just double/triple tap the M for net arrow loop fullscreen. It's just a timing thing, nothing complicated to it.

Here's how you extend Taskmaster's combos with triple arrow assist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak_bUxrOO3g

It's really simple, just buffer the dash back after the down arrow and charge into arrows into charge sting. Using triple arrows straight up is the easiest timing variation on that extension and it adds a really good amount of damage.

For Hawkeye tips, the big thing is using speed shot whenever they're not in midscreen or less range- it's his strongest ground tool if they're trying to get anything started on the ground. If they're in the air use jumping triple arrows or well placed DP arrows. Don't forget to use st.m to swat at people trying to go ham near you, and use your qcb flips as defensive movement tools when using H shot arrows- either flip forward past them when an assist is going or flip back and ice shot for a combo if it hits.

Don't be too liberal with Gimlets, but don't be too conservative either- when they're at about 60% health you can start gimleting to make them really scared- anything that puts them in range of dying due to chip+another gimlet is the best time to start using them. If you feel the opponent is getting too close use super scatter shot, unless they're in a position to teleport past it/a character who can always teleport past it and hit you.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 1, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Here's a Hawkeye tip: don't fight Vergil with him, ever. He'll screw you up with teleports and swords. It's his worst matchup in the game.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Dorm is pretty easy.
Call Hawkeye, throw flame carpet, then launch or do whatever you like. Quick Shot is fast enough that the timing is fairly lenient.

For the full screen arrow loops, I assume you mean the (H, Net Arrow, H, whatever, Gimlet)? The loop itself is all link timing. There are no easy shortcuts other than practice. For me the 2nd H after Net Arrow is probably the hardest part. It's like a 2 frame link. Don't bother trying it online too much.

In XF2 or XF3, the loop is significantly easier and can easily continue without the Gimlet super. A good meterless way to get a kill if you need.

Even most online scrubs now know better than to try to approach Hawkeye on the ground without significant projectile backup, so honestly I wouldn't worry too much about the ground loop.

Most of your time should be spent using Air Triple Arrow to control space, following by whatever ground arrow to chip them or start a combo.

Best air normal (and one of the best air normals in the game, period) is his Pizza Cutter (air H).
While not as ridiculous as Zero's, it's still pretty drat beefy:
-9 frame startup (quick for a Heavy normal), 11 freaking active frames, does 2 quick hits (to destroy super armor), and can be used for option selects with his massive air throw range.

Best ground normals are st. M and Slide.
St. M is only -3 on block so it's not too bad but don't whiff it.
Slide is definitely unsafe on block so get into the habit of using Trick Maneuvers (the flips) to make it safe.
L Flip xx Poison is +5 on block so it's always a good option if you want to be completely safe.
You can also mix it up and be a little bit more aggressive and go for the crossup H Flip. H Flip xx Speed Shot is the only safe crossup option (+1), but the only way to get a combo off from H Flip is Freeze Shot (+11 on hit, but -4 on block).

It's also important to know which characters can duck under ground Triple Arrow.
In these matches your ability to zone on the ground is a lot more limited.
Unfortunately, this includes a lot of annoying and top tier characters like Phoenix, Frank West, Wolverine, Morrigan, and Spiderman. I think that drat dog can even STAND under it.
The good news is that Net Arrow WILL hit all these characters.

Always remember that Gimlet is -8 ON HIT.
NEVER Gimlet any opponent that in is range to punish you unless you plan ahead of time to X-Factor and continue the combo.
Gimlet is also pretty bad for DHCs for partly this reason, and partly in that it just plain scales like poo poo.
It also doesn't do much chip, unless you're in X-Factor.
Use Super Scatter Shot for DHCs or chipping instead.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
A lot of great Hawkeye advice here. One thing I would add is get into the habit of firing off an arrow with hard attack and canceling that into triple arrow or roll, speed shot. (Speed shot does great chip damage.)

• Locked thread