Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
How's the difficulty on Dark Mode? Fun or not?

(I've beaten the game before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Szurumbur posted:

I've bought the game because of gog Christmas sale, and my PC can barely run it on the lowest settings, hell yeah :downs:!

See, I'm running this with an i5 2500k and HD6850 and it runs like poo poo even on low settings/removing fancy effects. I know its supposed to be demanding, but I didn't expect to download 18gb worth of game for it to run like rear end.

(Least it was only a fiver on GoG though.)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Super Slash posted:

See, I'm running this with an i5 2500k and HD6850 and it runs like poo poo even on low settings/removing fancy effects. I know its supposed to be demanding, but I didn't expect to download 18gb worth of game for it to run like rear end.

Those are better than the specs on my old computer, which ran the game at almost full settings (minus Ubersampling) at around 30FPS. So something must be royally messed up somewhere, you should definitely be getting good FPS with that setup.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Smol posted:

How's the difficulty on Dark Mode? Fun or not?

(I've beaten the game before)

Get a mod that removes that godawful "dark effect" that makes it impossible to see and it is pretty fun, brutal early game but once you get some good gear its good times.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Super Slash posted:

Something's up, because you have a better computer than me, and the game runs very good for me at 1080 with settings on High (with a couple things here and there turned off).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Two things:

1. A quest telling you to come back "at dusk" when your clock has a designated "Dusk" time, but the quest actually means "3 hours after that" is stupid as hell.

2. How the hell is anyone supposed to deal with the Fire Golem without cheesing it?

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

PlushCow posted:

Of all the magic in the game I think I used the stun 90% of the time, the shield 8% of the time, and maybe the trap for a couple big bad guys; likewise I mostly used bombs and no traps, just because you have so many options you don't need to actually use many of them (unless you want to)

Just always drink potions if you know youre going to be fighting!

Trap and roll is was my go to for most fights.

And drink every potion I could find.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Xander77 posted:

2. How the hell is anyone supposed to deal with the Fire Golem without cheesing it?

Much like Phancy said, do a lot of rolling around and backstabbing. It also helps to have an upgraded Quen, if you like to have some buffer time to recoup.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 21, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Quen up, drop an Yrden and roll is a fair strategy for dealing with big enemies.

The worst part about elementals is that the game loves to throw them at you in tight areas.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you spec into magic then Igni is pretty awesome. Pick up all of its talents, get a bunch of +vigor and enhance all your armor/runes to +sign intensity. You can pretty much spam anything to death with your AoE fire DoT.
Putting in two talent points into extending the range of your combat roll is also a good idea, you want to stay away from enemies.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
I finally beat the first one and started the second, and this cloud save bullshit nonsense is driving me up the wall.

Every time the game crashes (which happens all the freaking time) or any number of totally random and unknown things happen, it doesn't recognize most of my saves anymore. And I can't figure out how to fix it, it just seems to get fixed sometimes. I tried all the enable/disable/reboot crap and it doesn't work and I just wish I had known not to enable Steam cloud in the first place. Anyone have any tips?

I looked up how to go back to the Documents save folder but I can't get that method to work. Any time I delete the vdf file or whatever I never get the Sync Conflict dialog to pop up, which is what everyone on the internet says should happen. If I have no save files or no vdf, Steam just waits to re-download everything before launching the launcher, and then it's the same as before I did anything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've spent my first playthrough being annoyed by the fact that my health bar disappears the moment I leave combat, which means that any sort of kiting against dangerous enemies (like the troll / enderga queens in the first chapter) is basically guesswork. Only when I started to prepare for my second playthrough I realized I downloaded a dynamic hud mod that was pulling that poo poo.

My first playthrough was focused on blade talents with a bit of aard/igni thrown in. What would be an interesting talent combo for the second playthrough?

Also, is it just me, or is axii quite pointless? I never managed to tag two guys even with the upgraded sign, it would occasionally fail even against ordinary mooks, and the casting time means the guys friends can reach you and start bashing away by the time you're done.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Xander77 posted:

which means that any sort of kiting against dangerous enemies (like the troll / enderga queens in the first chapter) is

I just laid 30+ snare traps like an rear end and stood with the traps between Geralt and the enemies. Geralt: The Master Trapper.

Also, I resolved my Steam drama by downloading it from GOG and saying gently caress you to Steam.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Super Slash posted:

Check your preferences and make sure Ubersampling is turned off. I was in a similar situation with framerate and once I switched that off (it either defaults to on or I switched it and didn't notice I did) the framerate spiked up to what I expected.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Xander77 posted:

which means that any sort of kiting against dangerous enemies (like the troll / enderga queens in the first chapter) is basically guesswork.

Here's your problem right here, never kill the trolls :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Xander77 posted:

My first playthrough was focused on blade talents with a bit of aard/igni thrown in. What would be an interesting talent combo for the second playthrough?

Since you now know when to potion up and how to use mutagens to their full advantage, you can try to play an Alchemy-heavy spec. Recommend that you put 2 points into Side Effect as soon as possible to maximize the chances of getting enough greater mutagens (with Side Effect, I had more than I would ever need by the middle of Act 2), and don't use any of them until you put 2 points into Impregnation. If you want, you can turn around and re-spec those 4 points out in Act 3, because you get to keep the full effect of Impregnation for mutagens you've already used.

Catalysis lets you get more creative with potion choices instead of just being restricted to Swallow, Tawny Owl and Rook all the time.

Also, make shitloads of bombs and throw them everywhere.

Xander77 posted:

[Also, is it just me, or is axii quite pointless? I never managed to tag two guys even with the upgraded sign, it would occasionally fail even against ordinary mooks, and the casting time means the guys friends can reach you and start bashing away by the time you're done.

It's not just you. I liked it alright in the Prologue and Act 1, but it gradually becomes not very useful.

As for the casting time issue, the only way I could consistently get the full potential out of Axii was to Quen first, then Axii the closest enemy.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 22, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I made a thing

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ok, this is the second playthrough in a row in which Anezka refused to accept the ingredients for the amulet ritual. WTF.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Ok, this is the second playthrough in a row in which Anezka refused to accept the ingredients for the amulet ritual. WTF.
Just to be absolutely sure: Are you looking for a new dialogue option upon talking to her? Because if I'm remembering correctly, it doesn't come up right away. You have to ask her to explain the ritual again first, then it will come up.

Maybe there is a bug here, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple first.

My favorite part of the Prologue.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 24, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

How does the impregnation exploit with the Vran work again? Get impregnation, mutate everything, rearrange your talents without ever touching the alchemist tree?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Xander77 posted:

How does the impregnation exploit with the Vran work again? Get impregnation, mutate everything, rearrange your talents without ever touching the alchemist tree?
That's it. Note that when you re-spec, you have to reacquire each talent that you mutated in order to get back the buffs that you attached to it. So only use mutagens on talents that you're going to ultimately keep. But you can safely get rid of Impregnation and any talents you took on the path to it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Posted something to the "What Should I Know Before I Play" thread. Anything I've missed / got wrong?

Here are some things I wish I knew when I started playing The Witcher 2:

* Delete your outdated save files constantly. The game autosaves often and never overwrites the saves. This starts to affect your game performance very quickly. Ideally, you shouldn't have to scroll through your save games list at all.

* The game's combat system takes inspiration from Dark Souls and the like more than it does from conventional RPG's. That means you need to roll around. A lot. The moment I realized I could just let most guys swing, roll, then flank and shank them instead of slugging it out made combat SO much easier.

* If you're having trouble with a particular opponent at the start of the game, you always have the basic options of: rolling behind them and backstabbing / hitting them with the Aard sign and whaling on them while they stagger (if a shield guy is hit with the Aard and goes down on one knee, roll behind him, otherwise you'll still hit the shield) / get the riposte talent, then block and riposte when prompted.

* Enemy Quen can't really be dispelled. You have to wait it out (or better yet, disrupt them with an Aard as they try to cast it)

* Get the Riposte talent. You want the basic Swordsmanship path talents regardless of your build, but more importantly, there are a number of sections where you're playing a different character, and riposte is the only Witcher skill you have that carries over.

* Do you see all those "Bonus to X when poisoned" talents in the Alchemy tree? "Poisoned" means "Under the effects of a potion."

* Make sure you destroy 5 training dummies in Foltest's camp in the prologue, then destroy another 5 anywhere in Floatsam for a minor but important bonus.

* When you've fired the ballista in the prologue, find and examine a corpse near a nearby haystack for another neat bonus.

* When you arrive at Floatsam, you are invited to visit the commander. Doing so will give you a fairly good armor and silver sword design, so that should probably be the first thing you do before you go out and do some sidequests.

* Whenever you need to gather certain alchemical ingredients for a particular quest, drop them off into a storage chest (you get one at any inn) as you gather them. The game does NOT make an exception for quest items when preparing potions, and will happily use them up, leaving you screwed. So keep one copy of: Endrega embryo, Troll Tongue, Arachas Eye, Essence of Death, Queen endrega's pheromones and Bullivore Brain. Your stored items transfer from chapter to chapter.

* Your basic potion list when exploring should be some combination of: Swallow (health regeneration), Gadwall (high health regeneration, can be combined with Swallow), Tawny Owl (high vigor regeneration), Rook (+sword damage) and Petri's Philter (+ sign damage). The other potions are bit situational (though they can be quite good when combined with the alchemist's tree "greater potion bonuses, lesser potion disadvantages" talents).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is it ok to talk about the books here? Because the publisher of the US translations has already made some hosed up decisions and I now understand that after multiple delays there's no established deadline for the third (second in the US) book's release. How likely is it to actually arrive at some point?

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Are you talking about Blood of Elves? I picked it up pretty cheaply as an ebook from Kobo a while ago (haven't read it yet though)

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

The Sharmat posted:

Is it ok to talk about the books here? Because the publisher of the US translations has already made some hosed up decisions and I now understand that after multiple delays there's no established deadline for the third (second in the US) book's release. How likely is it to actually arrive at some point?

try to find the second book online (fan translated). It'll make Blood of Elves easier to read I hear.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've read Blood of Elves, that's why I was asking about the next book, Time of Contempt. It's slated to be out in June 2013, but that's just one of those totally unreliable Amazon release dates rather than an official one. Plus, they've apparently missed multiple deadlines already. I'm worried that it's in publication limbo, and I've rather enjoyed what I've read so far and want to continue. I know that there are fan translations of most of them, but I was unsure of the legality. Wouldn't they be :filez: ?

The confusion is understandable though, since apparently English speakers are dealing with an early Final Fantasy series kinda deal due to the publishers being weird and not releasing things in order. Final Fantasy 2 US= Final Fantasy 4 Japan. Witcher Book 2 (Blood of Elves)= Witcher Book 3 (Crazy Polish Title). Incidentally, that sort of thing is also why I fear development limbo. This publisher seems...odd.

And is it just me, or was Blood of Elves translated more poorly than Last Wish? I don't mean that it was difficult to understand. The prose just seems to lack a lot of the flair of the first one. Granted, I understand Blood of Elves was the author's first novel length book, so maybe that's true of the untranslated version as well.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The Witcher works as the opposite of Game of Thrones - as the series went on, the books came out faster and with less thought put into them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's rather depressing. Is each book worst than the last? I got some serious :smith: and occasional :unsmith: from the first two. Things like Renfri's story in Last Wish. If it goes downhill from here is it still worth reading, considering it looks like I can only continue via fan translation? Although the latter part may not be that big a burden since Blood of Elves seems to have been about the same quality as the better fan translations of Sword of Destiny.

EDIT: Gave up and checked out the fan translation of Times of Contempt and...ugh. This is absolutely awful. It reads like it was run through an online translator and then left alone. I can't do this.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 28, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sapkowski still has the gift of crafting really good scenes. The Battle of Brenna, or more specifically the hospital scenes with Shanni and Rusty. Leo Bonhart's introduction. The ice and fog fight. It's just that the overall plot if rushed and pretty much all over the place.

On the other hand, the games appear to be taking my least favorite book subplot (the Wild Hunt and dimension hopping) in an interesting direction, so who knows.

Back to the actual games. Doing the Secret of Loc Muinn quest with Cynthia. The very first monster encounter is four Greater Rotfiends in a small crypt. Those guys have killed me like four times before I backed up and let the NPCs get their attention before flanking. I'm level 34, loaded with potions and rotfiends were never a problem before. What's so special about this fight that I'm missing? Do they have an insta-kill attack just for this occasion?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Welp, finally finished my second playthrough (My first was Iorveth), so I guess it's safe to go back through the thread and read all the spoilers for the Roche path. Honestly, I'm not prepared to say that either path was better than the other. They both encompassed everything the series seems to be about, they just emphasized different aspects. I actually loved how you don't get the full story without playing both paths. Just feels more real.

I've heard people say Roche's path is darker than Iorveth's, and thus suits the themes better, which I want to address. I don't entirely agree. I'd say they're both dark in different ways and in different parts.

Note that while I'm trying to keep spoilers for each path separate, the fact that I'm comparing and contrasting the two means that there's still a decent chance I'll inadvertently ruin something for a reader that hasn't played through both.

Roche: Act 2 is where the 'dark and gritty' is concentrated. Henselt went from badass who's vaguely off-putting to a competent monster who made me feel sick to work for. Plus it all obviously ended very badly for Roche, Ves, and company; and Geralt actively helps bring down one of the only positive movements in the northern kingdoms. But then we move on to Act 3. Roche's version feels a lot less desperate, since we're now free to move around most of the city without being attacked, plus we find light and hope for Temeria (which is nice even though I played Geralt fairly apolitical) and get to see some bad people thoroughly punished. I rescued Triss, which I thought might bite me in the rear end since Roche then has to go through the Kaedweni camp alone, but the magnificent bastard actually pulled it off by himself and rescued Anais. All in all, while there are still threats out there, I felt like the end was overall a triumph. One made sweeter by how dark the preceding act had been.

Iorveth: Act 2 in Iorveth's path is overall brighter. Unlike Act 1, we seem to have a clear good. For the first time, a multi-racial group has united and is attempting to counter the corrupt nobility and establish a free state for humanity, elves, and dwarves. Iorveth starts out abrasive but slowly gains a grudging respect and even friendship for Geralt, resulting in a lot of heroic moments along the way; particularly his return during the siege of Vergen. The characters are much more likeable than the ones you meet in the alternate Act 2, and it's a pleasure to help them.

But then the act ends. Act 3 is where it gets dark. Just as Roche's depressing Act 2 made his version of Act 3 brighter by contrast, so does Iorveth's heroic Act 2 make Act 3 seem darker. Saskia's enslavement and Philippa's betrayal instantly turn the triumph at Vergen to ash. After all that, it seems to have been for absolutely nothing. Follow that with an Act 3 opening that feels very desperate, sneaking into a city where almost everyone is hostile, and the entire thing is much faster paced. This adds to the desperation, as the pacing makes me feel that I had no time to gently caress around with sidequests, what with sneaking through the sewers and finding Radovid and Philippa and all. Instead of repaying old wrongs and finding hope for Temeria as I prepare for the end game, I stumble upon Shilard the Nilfgaardian ambassador and the whole thing turns into a mad rush to save Triss (Yes I saved her on both paths. Had to, to be consistent with my Witcher 1 run). After the huge series of combats first through the city, then the sewers, and finally cutting through the Nilfgaardian camp, I finally get a feeling of triumph when I rescue Triss against all odds, and it's quite a rush. But the end game is significantly less positive than in Roche's path. Saskia remained enslaved, and in this run I have a lot more of an emotional attachment to the character than in the one in which the dragon's identity is never revealed. In addition, my choice to save Triss means Iorveth was critically wounded and captured, he's lost his dream, and Saskia has very little hope of becoming her own person again.

In summary: Roche's Act 2 is more depressing than Iorveth's Act 2; but Iorveth's Act 3 is more depressing than Roche's Act 3. They both have bittersweet endings, but Roche's bittersweetness is more sweet than Iorveth's.

This game was entirely worth two playthroughs. I can't believe how many hours of entertainment I got per dollar here; and I can only imagine how much work CD Projekt Red put into this. I daresay this is the best story driven RPG I've ever played, and the developer has set an entirely new standard. Witcher 2 puts every other modern 'choice driven' RPG to shame, and as far as I'm concerned CD Projekt is now the best name in RPGs, easily surpassing Bioware and perhaps even Obsidian. I can't wait to see Witcher 3.

Now if only they'd get those novels translated...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Sharmat posted:

That's rather depressing. Is each book worst than the last? I got some serious :smith: and occasional :unsmith: from the first two. Things like Renfri's story in Last Wish. If it goes downhill from here is it still worth reading, considering it looks like I can only continue via fan translation? Although the latter part may not be that big a burden since Blood of Elves seems to have been about the same quality as the better fan translations of Sword of Destiny.

EDIT: Gave up and checked out the fan translation of Times of Contempt and...ugh. This is absolutely awful. It reads like it was run through an online translator and then left alone. I can't do this.

I'm lucky in this regard because the whole series was translated into german actually! The last book just came out in 2011 and I've read all of them by now except the last one. They definitely provide the answer why Yennefer is so important and how Geralt interacted with various characters in his past.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Speaking of, judging from the first three books, CD Projekt has its work cut out for it in the Witcher 3. I mean, at least if the plot is going where I think it is. Yennifer has yet to appear in any of the games, and for the majority of English speaking players, it's going to be hard to make them care so much about Yennifer. Especially given her...complicated personality. With Triss (or Shani I guess) already in the game as a love interest, and without a fleshed out backstory, it'll be very easy for players to just say "Why am I putting in so much effort to save this psychotic bitch?". I think they can pull it off though. I played The Witcher 1&2 without having read any of the books and they still managed to make me care about the characters. Hell, this if the first RPG I've played where I made choices that were objectively illogical, purely out of concern for the characters. I normally have no difficulty at all going for the pragmatic options.

I think it helps on both these counts that Geralt isn't a generic PC, but an established character. There's more than one version of him based on your choices, of course, but somehow it always feels in character, even in light of the books. A far cry from Mass Effect's Shepard, for example.

Not that I mean to imply that a completely customizable PC is a bad thing. I still like games like that. Just that it's different, and it works well here.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the great OP (which made picking this and the first game up a no-brainer), and to all of you in advance for taking the time to help. I have a problem that three hours of Googling (Witcher forums, GOG, Steam and elsewhere) has not solved. I went through each page of this thread with a few select keywords. Either I'm SOL or a moron and someone will point out that, and the solution, within minutes.

Everyone talks about the game being smooth with a Xbox 360 controller, and this certainly seems to be true for the gameplay: Movement and combat are without issues. Any time I need to navigate a menu, however, be it game UI or actual options, and things fall apart. I believe the problem to be tied to sensitivity but adjusting those in the config file proved fruitless. Also, the keyboard and mouse do not suffer from this annoyance.

Here's a rundown of my problem and what I tried: All menus (game, dialogue, UI, etc.) options are not responsive.
Set input to controller and keyboard = no change
Reinstalled controller drivers = no change
Reinstalled graphic card drivers = no change
Checked for Windows updates = N/A
Adjusted config file sensitivity settings high and low = no change
Trashed config folder and preferences = no change
Used Xpadder = no change
Used Pinnacle = no change
Various performance settings in tweaker (Ultra, High and Low) = no change
Vsync on/off = no change
Windowed vs. fullscreen mode = no change
Two different (wired) controllers = no change
Different USB ports = no change
Mixing and matching many of the above tests = no change
Reinstalled game = no change

fake edit: Looking things over, I notice I didn't try USB 2.0 ports. I'll give that a shot in the afternoon. The thing is, no other game has had a problem with my front 3.0 slots since building this thing a month ago. In other words, it's unlikely that this is the culprit when old DOSbox titles and newer Windows releases play without problems.

The closest I came to success was to play with the keyboard input activated. Aside from staggered movement (tied to WASD?), I had the benefits of using a controller with an on-screen cursor that could be manipulated by the right analogue stick. Unfortunately, the first time I tried viewing something, I could not find a working button or combination and needed to use the mouse. Due to my setup, amongst a few other reasons, a controller is preferable when the option is present. At the moment, it seems like it actually is not an option. Using the two input methods is only possible for quick tests and impossible, so I'd like to either solve the problem or eliminate the hope of using a controller and move forward.

If I cannot get this working, I guess I'll have to go at it with the keyboard and mouse. Easy difficulty and beneficial mods will be in my future. Any tips for someone who has only used these things in a working capacity these past 10-11 years, and on a Mac at that? Sigh.

The Sharmat, posts like yours make this situation all the more frustrating. I'm hoping that by the time I start The Witcher, I'll have solved my problems with the sequel and can play them consecutively.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

hojusimpson posted:

If I cannot get this working, I guess I'll have to go at it with the keyboard and mouse. Easy difficulty and beneficial mods will be in my future.

I have no idea how to help you with your problem, so rather than say anything constructive I'll just advise you to go ahead and play with the keyboard and mouse on medium difficulty. It's really hard at first, but that's just because Witcher 2 is a hard game, and getting destroyed a lot is the only way to learn to be good at it. What everyone in this thread says about the prologue and chapter 1 being brutal and then things suddenly just 'clicking' is true. You'll pick it up.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I have no idea how to help you with your problem, so rather than say anything constructive I'll just advise you to go ahead and play with the keyboard and mouse on medium difficulty. It's really hard at first, but that's just because Witcher 2 is a hard game, and getting destroyed a lot is the only way to learn to be good at it. What everyone in this thread says about the prologue and chapter 1 being brutal and then things suddenly just 'clicking' is true. You'll pick it up.

Thank you, and I'll definitely give it a shot. A challenge is welcome, provided it's reasonable and supported by strong gameplay, so no worries there. I predict some sort of tray or lapdesk/stand is in my future. Currently, I play with both keyboard and mouse on the keyboard's box -- you can tell I'm new to all of this, eh?

Thanks again!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Anyone with more knowledge of the books know how good healing magic is in this setting? Iorveth's Path spoilers: Is Philippa Eilhart permanently blinded after Radovid has her eyes put out? I've only read up to Blood of Elves; and while Yennefer lost her eyesight at the battle of Sodden, it seemed to me more that her retinas had been burned out rather than her eyes actually being lost. Even then, it seemed to be implied that it took awhile for her to be able to see again.

On a related note, the games' writers seem to have forgotten that Triss is apparently pretty scarred on her chest. She mentioned something in Blood of Elves after the healing about how she'd never wear anything with a low neckline again.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
To answer that spoiler question:

Given enough powerful ingredients for spells etc mages especially can regenerate whole bodyparts and burned off skin etc over time. It may take a while but if they are not outright killed they can pretty much heal themselves up over time. It is implied that Yennefer used to be a rather hideous/deformed girl before she started her sorcery training, so that's quite a change over the years.

And yes, they totally forgot about the apparently huge scar on her chest.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Spoiler reply. Um...if book talk counts as spoilers, anyway: So that one lady in Blood of Elves that had to use an illusion to recreate her face and only spoke telepathically...that wasn't because of the injury being incurable so much as the fact that her lower face and voice box had a significant mutation that they had to get rid of before healing? Because they did mention that they couldn't get rid of it no matter how hard they tried.

I know they can change appearance, but magical cosmetic surgery seems a lot less invasive than the real world kind and I assumed it was a lot different than healing a major injury. And I didn't take that "Eyes of a hunchback." thing about Yennifer literally. In context I just thought it meant she was very ugly before she became a sorceress rather than actually deformed. But maybe there's more about that in a book I haven't read.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Anyone with more knowledge of the books know how good healing magic is in this setting? Iorveth's Path spoilers: Is Philippa Eilhart permanently blinded after Radovid has her eyes put out? I've only read up to Blood of Elves; and while Yennefer lost her eyesight at the battle of Sodden, it seemed to me more that her retinas had been burned out rather than her eyes actually being lost. Even then, it seemed to be implied that it took awhile for her to be able to see again.

On a related note, the games' writers seem to have forgotten that Triss is apparently pretty scarred on her chest. She mentioned something in Blood of Elves after the healing about how she'd never wear anything with a low neckline again.
Didn't sorceresses have some kind of glamour ability that alters their appearance in this universe? That and simply having enough spare time/reagents to do some magic plastic surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Sharmat posted:

I know they can change appearance, but magical cosmetic surgery seems a lot less invasive than the real world kind and I assumed it was a lot different than healing a major injury. And I didn't take that "Eyes of a hunchback." thing about Yennifer literally. In context I just thought it meant she was very ugly before she became a sorceress rather than actually deformed. But maybe there's more about that in a book I haven't read.

Theres a flashback scene in the 6th book (second to last one) which elaborates a bit more on her past, also you learn her actual age in that book. Im buying the last one next month, I'm kind of sad that the book series is ending. But at least the story continues in the games, even if Sapkowski actually really dropped a lot of hate about the games.

• Locked thread