Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

I thought that was just her being nervous about Paz thinking her and Annie are a couple. She clearly has issues about people thinking she's gay.

That's what I assumed as well. I don't recall any point since "She Came From The Forest" talking about Paz being Kat's roommate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Them being roommates is definitely the kind of information that would have been included earlier if it were going to be important now.

Looking back, though, I guess I didn't really grasp the dorm situation. Was the court counting Renard as a roommate? He should room with Winsbury now.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Haledjian posted:

Them being roommates is definitely the kind of information that would have been included earlier if it were going to be important now.

Looking back, though, I guess I didn't really grasp the dorm situation. Was the court counting Renard as a roommate? He should room with Winsbury now.

End of chapter page will be Renard giving Winsbury tips on flexing those guns to excite the girl in your life. :allears:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Haledjian posted:

Was the court counting Renard as a roommate? He should room with Winsbury now.

Either that or they didn't want to put any other kids with a trickster god except for the one that actually controls it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Haledjian posted:

So THAT'S what those comics have been leading up to.

Incidentally I just checked the site comments for the first time since I started reading and the number of posts along the lines of "I don't understand, who is that other girl? What is happening" kinda makes me want to cry.
Tell them she's Eglamore.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Ursine Asylum posted:

End of chapter page will be Renard giving Winsbury tips on flexing those guns to excite the girl in your life. :allears:

Does this excite you, girl?! *rrrrip*

Yes. :syoon:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Haledjian posted:

I think the idea is that everyone had their own room, except now Kat and Annie will room together and Renard takes the empty room for himself.

Kat looking at Paz wasn't 'they're roomies and it would be awkward to leave', it's comic shorthand to call back to Kat's insecurities since Paz was the one who brought up the topic in the first place.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

This is all a ploy of Renard's so he gets a room to himself.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

This is all a ploy of Renard's so he gets a room to himself.

But if Annie's not in his room, how will he find the dolls for his tea parties :smith:

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
All right; this might be crazy talk or even have been discussed before but in re-reading a couple of chapters today I had an idea.

What if Kat is Anja's special computer that gets mentioned here and there? Anja could have had the same ideas about the fusion of human/robot growth that Kat has and have already done it, producing Kat. The robots were freaked out that she could read their code and said no human should be able to. If she's not the computer it could be possible that she's some aspect of it.

Robot also once said 'she grows more beautiful by the day'. What if he and the other robots see what Zimmy sees?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If Kat does will she be revived as a robot?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

The robots were freaked out that she could read their code and said no human should be able to. If she's not the computer it could be possible that she's some aspect of it.
Weeeelllll, I wouldn't go as far to say that Kat is a 'tech elemental', but I wouldn't be surprised if Kat's engineering mojo is some kind of etheric ability. Sort of like gadgeteer/inventor superheroes like Forge or Tony Stark. I mean, when she first met Annie, she could already put together an anti-grav unit.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

Weeeelllll, I wouldn't go as far to say that Kat is a 'tech elemental', but I wouldn't be surprised if Kat's engineering mojo is some kind of etheric ability. Sort of like gadgeteer/inventor superheroes like Forge or Tony Stark. I mean, when she first met Annie, she could already put together an anti-grav unit.

My idea is that she's something completely new, the very thing that she thinks she wants to design. So she's Anja and Don's daughter in the sense that they created her; she just wasn't born quite the way she thinks she was.

I'm aware that it's a stretch, but we all know she's something special.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tupperwarez posted:

Could be she is just, y'know, really good at science. I mean, yeah an anti-grav unit sounds crazy to us in the real world, but the court has some pretty loving advanced tech too.

Oh and "bird" is just British slang for a girl in certain places, that's it. Just like chick, lass etc.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Prison Warden posted:

Could be she is just, y'know, really good at science. I mean, yeah an anti-grav unit sounds crazy to us in the real world, but the court has some pretty loving advanced tech too.

Oh and "bird" is just British slang for a girl in certain places, that's it. Just like chick, lass etc.

I dunno, it's pretty clear that Kat's ability with tech is etheric in some way. There've been a lot of heavy hints dropped here and there, especially with the fact that when people do pay attention to her crazy-good science, she blows their minds. I wouldn't go so far as to say Kat is some crazy experiment carried out by her parents, after all, the Court brings children in that show some special talent.

Kat's talent is to be every bit a technological savant in ways that should be impossible.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
What the heck has Kat ever done to suggest to you all that her abilities are in any way magical? Just that one page in "Divine"?

I think she's more "special" as the one character that doesn't have magical powers but is super awesome anyway.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

DontMockMySmock posted:

What the heck has Kat ever done to suggest to you all that her abilities are in any way magical? Just that one page in "Divine"?

I think she's more "special" as the one character that doesn't have magical powers but is super awesome anyway.

Most notably, it's that her mother is a literal Etheric Magician, as noted most directly Here, but also any time Anja's "computer system" is brought up.

e: Also, most of this chapter!

Niton fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 27, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DontMockMySmock posted:

Creating an antigrav device and having epiphanies of How Things Work(tm) just by looking at a pigeon wing, an air conditioner, or a datacube unreadable by humans would do it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Creating an antigrav device, for someone in a world where the Court exists, is not magic. it is exceptional, and indicates Kat is some kind of scientific genius, but nothing else. The Bird Wing is just her being inspired by nature, which happens to real scientists all the time. the air conditioner is just her looking at something and finding herself thinking about it's fundamental construction! The computer code used by the obots isn't somehow mystically imperceptible. The Court robots are, if i remember right, specifically pure technology, as the original golems couldn't replicate the partially etheric process Diego used. They said Kat shouldn't be able to understand it just because it was so complex.

I still fail to see any definitive evidence of an etheric ability possessed by Kat, just brains. There are plenty of scientists working at the court who not only don't have etheric powers but actively disdain it's use and they STILL have incredible sci-fi technology.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Prison Warden posted:

Creating an antigrav device, for someone in a world where the Court exists, is not magic. it is exceptional, and indicates Kat is some kind of scientific genius, but nothing else. The Bird Wing is just her being inspired by nature, which happens to real scientists all the time. the air conditioner is just her looking at something and finding herself thinking about it's fundamental construction! The computer code used by the obots isn't somehow mystically imperceptible. The Court robots are, if i remember right, specifically pure technology, as the original golems couldn't replicate the partially etheric process Diego used. They said Kat shouldn't be able to understand it just because it was so complex.

I still fail to see any definitive evidence of an etheric ability possessed by Kat, just brains. There are plenty of scientists working at the court who not only don't have etheric powers but actively disdain it's use and they STILL have incredible sci-fi technology.

When she made the antigrav device for her science fair project (ABOUT CRYSTALS!) people were pretty amazed by it, Kat is definitely special, it's just a question of how special

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Prison Warden posted:

Again: her mother is at minimum a techno-wizard, if not an actual one. It's pretty likely she shares at least some of her mother's talents.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Niton posted:

Again: her mother is at minimum a techno-wizard, if not an actual one. It's pretty likely she shares at least some of her mother's talents.

In the chapter talking about mom the techo wizard, I seem to recall her bitterly making a comment about "stuff just working isn't good enough if you can't explain it entirely", which directly echoed an opinion Kat voiced to Annie a couple pages earlier. I can't really see Kat delving into the etheric side of things much unless she gets to the point where she can explain it in it's entirely w/r/t what she's doing with it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I like the new art in this chapter.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Ursine Asylum posted:

But if Annie's not in his room, how will he find the dolls for his tea parties :smith:

The dolls are Kat's anyway. She'll probably keep loaning him them.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Ah, Christmas, when I have some time to work through my backlog of "Webcomics to check out". Everyone raves about this Gunnerkrigg Court thing, and there are a lot of avatars based on it, so I might as well check it out...

Now my wife's been wondering why I've been ignoring the family so much. I'm really enjoying this, aside from finally hitting the "present". I usually hate having mountains of archives to sift through, but now I'm wishing there were more.

Has Tom indicated about how long he anticipates the story to run?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

For some reason I don't think Shadow was who they were expecting?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I don't know if it's because I haven't done a reread in a while, but it seems Tom is making these two seem more mature, somehow. When they met they were two little girls, but now they seem to be becoming who they are. Maybe he's just drawing them taller/better, but it's a neat effect to notice. :)

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Is that Paz creeping in panel 4?

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
If I might post my own crazy theory for a second, I have been rereading some of the old chapters and came across this:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=646

The robots see the TicTocs as being older than the court, and sent by the a deity to watch over the court. The TicTocs are robotic and not controlled by the court, plus the only active role they have played in the comic so far is to actively save Annie's life.

In light of what could be seen as the deification of Kat by the robots, and the fact that that human (and robot?) belief seems to be retroactive, could the creation of the TicTocs be in some way related to that? Whether sort of poofing into existence at some point through the robots belief in an Angel, or I dunno, being sent back in time by Kat?

It's not as if Kat doesn't have a thing about birds...

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
After reading the archive of this comic yesterday I have to say I've found one very, very major flaw in it - It's way too short.

Aside from that though - this is a great read. I guess I now have another thing to follow!

T-man posted:

I don't know if it's because I haven't done a reread in a while, but it seems Tom is making these two seem more mature, somehow. When they met they were two little girls, but now they seem to be becoming who they are. Maybe he's just drawing them taller/better, but it's a neat effect to notice. :)

Well several years have passed in the story, so it makes sense they'd grow taller and start looking less like children and more like young women.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jenx posted:

Well several years have passed in the story, so it makes sense they'd grow taller and start looking less like children and more like young women.

I think it's also their clothes- both in how they've been moving away from the sweater/skirt uniform, but also how their regular styles have changed.

I've got a younger sister who's just a few years older than Kat and Annie and their styles actually matched up pretty well I think (although I wasn't really paying that much attention...)

edit: Also, anyone want to bet that this chapter or maybe the next will be the last one in vol 4? Each vol seems to be about 250-300 pages and we're closing in on that if not there already, so seems likely. And 'Changes' sounds pretty dramatic and totally like an end of vol. chapter name.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 28, 2012

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Goatmask posted:

In light of what could be seen as the deification of Kat by the robots, and the fact that that human (and robot?) belief seems to be retroactive, could the creation of the TicTocs be in some way related to that? Whether sort of poofing into existence at some point through the robots belief in an Angel, or I dunno, being sent back in time by Kat?

It's not as if Kat doesn't have a thing about birds...

This is a great theory! I think it has a lot of potential, and seems to fit with what we know so far. I wonder - if Kat sent them back - what did she send them back for? To find out some mystery about the founding of the court?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Axiem posted:

The only thing I can think of is that there are five years of school, and we're now in the third. Of course, the comic doesn't necessarily have to end at the end of secondary schooling/sixth form.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I imagine that this formal occasion Annie is stressing about is related to the announcement of the new medium. Lots of changes gonna happen this chapter!

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Axiem posted:

For ever and ever! I might even sell my soul to get a planet-destroying high-paying job, of cracking open bedrock using carcinogenic chemicals to give gas to power humanity's energy greed, just to keep Tom in business. (Drat, now I'm associating myself with that obsessive fan from that Stephen King book who kidnaps the writer and forces him to write books.)

Anyway, there are many many issues still to resolve. I will be patient and enjoy every moment.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Haledjian posted:

Is that Paz creeping in panel 4?

It does look like her silhouette. I like Paz and hope she isn't going to be all weird and meddle-y about this whole thing.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

It does look like her silhouette. I like Paz and hope she isn't going to be all weird and meddle-y about this whole thing.

This. I like you, Paz! Don't go all ChibiSoma on us! There are more important things in life than schoolgirl lesbians!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I lost interest in Doctor Disaster and skipped to the next chapter, and subsequently skipped every Spacemonauts chapter in the archives. Have I missed any plot, or am I right to approach them as stand-alone adventures?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I lost interest in Doctor Disaster and skipped to the next chapter, and subsequently skipped every Spacemonauts chapter in the archives. Have I missed any plot, or am I right to approach them as stand-alone adventures?

Next you'll tell us you skipped over the City Face, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Don't skip over Spacemonauts. You're missing out.