Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?
Henry's been with the company for years, seems like a real nice guy in real life, found a gimmick that was absolutely perfect for him and the company decided to ride it out. Henry getting his moment in the spotlight, and entertaining the audience in the process, sure didn't hurt the careers of Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, Sandow, The Shield, or any other "youngsters" who seem to all be carving out their own niches despite Mark's "Hall of Pain" run.

The WWE isn't an NBA team where the veteran point guard limits the rookie point guard's minutes and stalls his development. So stop crying about a hard-working veteran wrestler like Mark Henry getting the push of his career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Hamass posted:

Henry's been with the company for years, seems like a real nice guy in real life, found a gimmick that was absolutely perfect for him and the company decided to ride it out. Henry getting his moment in the spotlight, and entertaining the audience in the process, sure didn't hurt the careers of Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, Sandow, The Shield, or any other "youngsters" who seem to all be carving out their own niches despite Mark's "Hall of Pain" run.

To the contrary, Bryan feuding with Henry and everything that followed is what started his rise. And the three match mini-feud with Punk was pretty amazing. Add to that helping Sheamus become face I think he did put over newer guys.

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".
All this reading makes me miss Mark Henry. :(

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hamass posted:

The WWE isn't an NBA team where the veteran point guard limits the rookie point guard's minutes and stalls his development. So stop crying about a hard-working veteran wrestler like Mark Henry getting the push of his career.

Is Hulk Hogan Derek Fisher in this scenario?

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

And the three match mini-feud with Punk was pretty amazing

Seriously. I still love this one(the No DQ match with the awesome chairbow drop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV90h3cS26k

I also have a question: Is it worth tracking down video of the whole Punk-run Nexus angle? I've seen clips and I'm not sure if there's anything worth watching in it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Quasipox posted:

Seriously. I still love this one(the No DQ match with the awesome chairbow drop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV90h3cS26k

I also have a question: Is it worth tracking down video of the whole Punk-run Nexus angle? I've seen clips and I'm not sure if there's anything worth watching in it.

The Elimination Chamber where Punk is acting like a mad man from the safety of his pod was pretty great. There were a bunch of great segments he had with Randy Orton but their matches were never anything special.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Oatgan posted:

The Elimination Chamber where Punk is acting like a mad man from the safety of his pod was pretty great. There were a bunch of great segments he had with Randy Orton but their matches were never anything special.

Thanks. I'll have to look into the EC stuff at least.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Quasipox posted:

Thanks. I'll have to look into the EC stuff at least.

Punk beating down Cena and putting on the Nexus arm band was a pretty cool moment. Also, his name plate during his entrance at Money In the Bank 2011 had him listed as part of Nexus.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Punk teasing jumping from the top of the titantron then calling the audience a bunch of monsters for wanting him to jump was pretty fantastic!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oatgan posted:

It didn't help that Punk just lost every match against Randy Orton and the New Nexus was basically punted to Superstars/FCW

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Two questions:

1. Has Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose ever worked face? That seems like it'd be bizarre.

2. How in the gently caress does anyone take the Vertabreaker/Gringo Killa safely?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

2. How in the gently caress does anyone take the Vertabreaker/Gringo Killa safely?

It's possible to tuck enough to take it on your upper back/shoulder blades but 9 times out of 10 I've seen it the guy takes it on his neck.

For a great compare and contrast, B Boy and Drake Younger had a match in PWG recently and Drake hits a picture perfect vertebreaker, and a little later B Boy just spikes Drake right on his head with the same move

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

In the Wrestlemania X Falls Count Anywhere match between Macho Man and Crush, the loser of the fall had 60 seconds to make it back to the ring.

Were there any other Falls Count Anywhere matches with that added stipulation? And what would happen if you pinned somebody in the ring? That's WCW level booking.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

GB888 posted:

All this reading makes me miss Mark Henry. :(

The Royal Rumble is coming up ;)

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Corzaa posted:

The Royal Rumble is coming up ;)

If I charge for air you better keep the bill paid!

This is still the greatest in ring Mark Henry line.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Hockles posted:

In the Wrestlemania X Falls Count Anywhere match between Macho Man and Crush, the loser of the fall had 60 seconds to make it back to the ring.

Were there any other Falls Count Anywhere matches with that added stipulation? And what would happen if you pinned somebody in the ring? That's WCW level booking.

No it isn't. If you pinned him in the ring, he made it back to the ring after the three count. How is that so hard to understand? You have to beat your opponent up away from the ring in order to win. Simple as that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

No it isn't. If you pinned him in the ring, he made it back to the ring after the three count. How is that so hard to understand? You have to beat your opponent up away from the ring in order to win. Simple as that.

The basic idea of that gimmick was pretty lovely, though. It's worse than the Texas Death Match, because it makes nearfalls almost impossible.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The drama with that gimmick would become "can the guy get back into the ring in time," rather than "can he kick out before 3." Which I think was how it was worked at that show, leading to the finish.

I haven't heard of that variation being used any other time, though maybe it was at some regional promotion.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Is AJ the most heavily pushed woman in the history of the WWE besides Stephanie? I honestly can't think of anyone else. Maybe Miss Elizabeth?

I don't know about most heavily pushed in history, but Sable certainly weighs in above many of the names people have been bandying about.

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011
So the commentary team often mentions Big Show's "ironclad contract" - is this literally just "he can't be fired"? If so, did they do anything with it that was actually significant? Seems like having him just straight up murder some people at PPVs for belts (getting disqualified and then keeping punching the guy until he's physically restrained or whatever) could be a cool angle for a couple of months.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
For a while he beat the crap out of the tag teams whenever he wanted but that's all I can remember he's done with it.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ChaosSmurf posted:

So the commentary team often mentions Big Show's "ironclad contract" - is this literally just "he can't be fired"? If so, did they do anything with it that was actually significant? Seems like having him just straight up murder some people at PPVs for belts (getting disqualified and then keeping punching the guy until he's physically restrained or whatever) could be a cool angle for a couple of months.

Big Show was a face who got fired by Johnny Ace. Johnny Ace had a match with Cena later and Big Show interfered and hit Cena. The ironclad contract was his reward, and part of the reason for his heel turn (he didn't have to smile and act dumb for the fans anymore).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Since we were discussing Austin signing with ECW/All Japan instead of the WWF in another thread, how about some what if scenarios?

- What if Owen Hart decided he could move to Atlanta and signed with WCW in 1991?
- What if Bret Hart had signed with WCW in 1990 after meeting with Ric Flair?
- What if Chris Benoit signed with the WWF in 1995?
- What if the Undertaker debuted as the Eggman?
- What if Terry Taylor got the Mr. Perfect gimmick instead of Curt Hennig?
- What if Marty and Shawn went to WCW instead of splitting up in the WWF?
- What if WCW didn't reject Dave Batista at the Power Plant?
- What if Sting properly went over Hogan at Starrcade 97?
- What if Sting went to the WWF in 1992?

This one isn't really based under a real rumour floating at the time but what if it was HBK and HHH jumping to WCW in 1996 instead of Hall and Nash? How would that have changed things?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Since we were discussing Austin signing with ECW/All Japan instead of the WWF in another thread, how about some what if scenarios?

- What if Owen Hart decided he could move to Atlanta and signed with WCW in 1991?
- What if Bret Hart had signed with WCW in 1990 after meeting with Ric Flair?
- What if Marty and Shawn went to WCW instead of splitting up in the WWF?
- What if WCW didn't reject Dave Batista at the Power Plant?
- What if Sting properly went over Hogan at Starrcade 97?
- What if Sting went to the WWF in 1992?

This one isn't really based under a real rumour floating at the time but what if it was HBK and HHH jumping to WCW in 1996 instead of Hall and Nash? How would that have changed things?

I can't field all of them but I'm certain that Bret going to WCW wouldn't have led to a push for the Hitman. WCW weren't embroiled in a steroid scandal at the time so there would have been no incentive to push Bret as their top babyface over Sting, Luger or Sid.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Here's a question: Why when a company like WCW or TNA is getting more and more mainstream attention do the NWA demand to remove their belts from the product?

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sonic would have been in trouble.

Is this a real thing?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Oatgan posted:

For a great compare and contrast, B Boy and Drake Younger had a match in PWG recently and Drake hits a picture perfect vertebreaker, and a little later B Boy just spikes Drake right on his head with the same move

I thought PWG had a pretty professional reputation, but a match where two guys just casually trade Vertebreakers with each other sounds indie as gently caress :{

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Benoit ends up in a stable with Brian Pillman in both timelines.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Here's a question: Why when a company like WCW or TNA is getting more and more mainstream attention do the NWA demand to remove their belts from the product?

WCW began treating the NWA title as the secondary title by the end and put the belt on people the NWA didn't want as champion, so it didn't make sense for the NWA to continue the relationship. TNA wanted to establish its own brand and the NWA didn't like the decisions TNA was making with the NWA titles so it was kind of a mutual thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

WCW began treating the NWA title as the secondary title by the end and put the belt on people the NWA didn't want as champion, so it didn't make sense for the NWA to continue the relationship. TNA wanted to establish its own brand and the NWA didn't like the decisions TNA was making with the NWA titles so it was kind of a mutual thing.
I remember it being more the NWA's decision. When Russo came back to TNA he made decisions without consulting the NWA beforehand and when they put the title on Abyss by DQ in a lovely gimmick match the NWA got pretty pissed. Those kind of arguments continued for some time until they pulled their titles.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also, the whole booking formula behind the NWA title is :

* Big star from televised company gets NWA title.
* NWA champion tours shows held by other NWA members.
* NWA champion wrestles local star, makes him look like gold, but ultimately leaves with the belt.

It's a mechanism for putting over the stars of various companies, by creating one mega-star that looks invincible on television, but gives everyone the rub in dark matches. I assume WCW and TNA stopped co-operating with the established formula at one point, and so there was no point in having them hold the belts?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The way I see it, using the NWA titles gives your new promotion a certain amount of instant credibility, but once you grow to a certain level you have less and less need for the NWA's brand recognition (which is very limited these days anyway), and you won't want to have to answer to an outside organization anymore.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

The way I see it, using the NWA titles gives your new promotion a certain amount of instant credibility, but once you grow to a certain level you have less and less need for the NWA's brand recognition (which is very limited these days anyway), and you won't want to have to answer to an outside organization anymore.

Even most hardcore fans probably have no idea who the NWA champion is at this point, and hardcore fans also know that the NWA stopped being important about 20 years ago. The entire thing with the NWA/TNA split is strange, because at first glance it would seem like the NWA has significantly less leverage than even TNA.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Sears Poncho posted:

Sonic would have been in trouble.

Is this a real thing?

There is a story, possibly apocryphal, that when he signed with the WWF he was so desperate for a push that he would do "anything... except come out of that egg".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I remember it being more the NWA's decision. When Russo came back to TNA he made decisions without consulting the NWA beforehand and when they put the title on Abyss by DQ in a lovely gimmick match the NWA got pretty pissed. Those kind of arguments continued for some time until they pulled their titles.

At first it definitely seemed like it was more on the NWA, but I think by the end TNA wanted their own belts too, I remember there being a desire to sell replicas of TNA belts and such.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Then it would have been Curt Hennig's career being ruined by that horrible Red Rooster gimmick.

How about this one; What if Jim Helwig had gone to New Japan and wrestled under the Big Van Vader name and gimmick instead of Leon White?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
He would've gotten stretched. Hellwig barely made sense to American promoters. If he was even a ** success story, his translator would be world reknowned.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I posted:

Then it would have been Curt Hennig's career being ruined by that horrible Red Rooster gimmick.

How about this one; What if Jim Helwig had gone to New Japan and wrestled under the Big Van Vader name and gimmick instead of Leon White?

Stan Hansen would have knocked out more than his eyeball.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

MassRayPer posted:

At first it definitely seemed like it was more on the NWA, but I think by the end TNA wanted their own belts too, I remember there being a desire to sell replicas of TNA belts and such.

Yeah TNA really wanted the image rights for their title belts, as theres a surprising amount of money in replica belts. Also TNA was paying a fee to the NWA to use the belts, and once the inital rub of having the NWA titles had passed as TNA got more established as a company in it's own right, the expense though not particularly great didn't seem worthwhile to them.

Jarrett's talked about the politics of the decision at length in radio interviews. If anything it's a surprise the deal lasted as long as it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
How far back does the "titles don't change hands on a DQ or count out" rule go?