Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe I'm a weird Frenchman but I've never felt any real animosity towards English speakers, the last war we had against the English dates quite a bit.

Actually we had the same time as England until the German Occupation during WW2,when the occupant changed our timezone for military purposes.

After the war we didn't bother switching back to our previous timezone.

I think it is more indignation that some shithead comes up to you, in YOUR country, talking a foreign language at you and expecting you do be ok with that.

You shouldn't be forced to be ok with that. Americans would not be ok with that. It's rude and presumptuous.

Think about it, American friends: if someone came up to you on the street and started squawking Spanish at you, with the full expectation that you understand and reply to them with helpful information, would you truly be alright with that?

(I am American and I wouldn't mind too much but ONLY because I have imposed myself this way upon so many people in their own countries (Sorry!)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

the difference is that English is the world's de facto universal language

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
From my experience, there are some people who care about it and some people who don't, as is the case everywhere. I've found both responses. I've panickedly asked "do you speak english" instead of parlais-vous anglais, etc, etc, and it's been find. You just have to be polite. If you rush up to someone and start "squawking" at them in ANY language it's going to make you look a bit stupid.

Politeness and respect is actually the universal language so just do that and you'll be fine.

Third Murderer, as for London, eating out somewhere basic is probably £8 for a plate, £3.50 for a sandwich, around £4 for a pint, £8 for 20 cigarettes, and then transport or whatever extras on top of that. If you need any more specific suggestions for things to do PM me or ask here, I like helping come up with advice for people visiting :)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe I'm a weird Frenchman but I've never felt any real animosity towards English speakers, the last war we had against the English dates quite a bit.

Actually we had the same time as England until the German Occupation during WW2,when the occupant changed our timezone for military purposes.

After the war we didn't bother switching back to our previous timezone.

Shhhh! You're letting facts get in the way of his stereotypes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

Shhhh! You're letting facts get in the way of his stereotypes.
Well, I guess you don't realize that I'm also French, so not really stereotyping.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Australians traveling in Turkey; what is the best way to utilize money? a money card at international ATMs in Turkey or ???

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Any polish goons in or near Warsaw/Krakow, Poland? looking for grub and sites to see next week...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Australians traveling in Turkey; what is the best way to utilize money? a money card at international ATMs in Turkey or ???
I've never been to Turkey, but some Australia ATM cards don't work overseas. My husband banked with Suncorp and when we came to Canada for the first time he had to depend 100% on my NAB card, since it turned out you can't use a Suncorp card anywhere outside of Australia.

If you're with a big five bank it probably doesn't apply to you, but watch out if you use one of the smaller ones.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DNova posted:

I think it is more indignation that some shithead comes up to you, in YOUR country, talking a foreign language at you and expecting you do be ok with that.
Why is the person a shithead? How do you know they are a shithead exactly? Im curious.

As for your hypothetical scenario, it has happened to me before. Ive helped tourists in my city and I managed to do it without being a total asswipe who brings people to the wrong metro train stations. In fact when it happens, im pretty happy to help and it makes me feel pretty special that someone would come half way around the world to see the city I live in every day.

So yeah I really dont get your justification, like, at all.

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 22, 2012

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Limastock posted:

Why is the person a shithead? How do you know they are a shithead exactly? Im curious.

As for your hypothetical scenario, it has happened to me before. Ive helped tourists in my city and I managed to do it without being a total asswipe who brings people to the wrong metro train stations. In fact when it happens, im pretty happy to help and it makes me feel pretty special that someone would come half way around the world to see the city I live in every day.

So yeah I really dont get your justification, like, at all.

You're reading way too far into it. It's just extremely rude. I've been the shithead in my scenario, and I felt like a shithead about it.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Because this thread is old and it needs refreshing and we have averted the mayan apocalypse I am going to make a new, super awesome OP for 2013. What does it need besides local translations for chickencheese (kaesehuenchen)?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

DNova posted:

You're reading way too far into it. It's just extremely rude. I've been the shithead in my scenario, and I felt like a shithead about it.

God forbid people have the audacity to visit a country where they don't speak the language. We had lots of Japanese tourists in my hometown in the 1990s, who never spoke English. I usually sent them to the ghetto to get stabbed because, they don't speak English and come to me in Japanese? gently caress 'em. They can "sumimasen, arigatou gozaimasu" their way to hell.

(E: Sarcasm & exaggeration were turned up to 11 for this post.)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Saladman posted:

God forbid people have the audacity to visit a country where they don't speak the language. We had lots of Japanese tourists in my hometown in the 1990s, who never spoke English. I usually sent them to the ghetto to get stabbed because, they don't speak English and come to me in Japanese? gently caress 'em. They can "sumimasen, arigatou gozaimasu" their way to hell.

I think you are having some reading comprehension issues, and that you probably need a hug :glomp:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Im trying to get from Salzburg (actually, Burhausen/Altoetting) to anywhere in Croatia as cheaply as possible next Friday. Thoughts? train is pretty expensive, as are flights. Rideshare has been kind of a bust. Cant seem to find info on buses.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

eviljelly posted:

Im trying to get from Salzburg (actually, Burhausen/Altoetting) to anywhere in Croatia as cheaply as possible next Friday. Thoughts? train is pretty expensive, as are flights. Rideshare has been kind of a bust. Cant seem to find info on buses.

http://www.eurolines.at/sites/default/files/eul_schedule/pdf/5140.pdf

39 euros one way... I think.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Landsknecht posted:

Because this thread is old and it needs refreshing and we have averted the mayan apocalypse I am going to make a new, super awesome OP for 2013. What does it need besides local translations for chickencheese (kaesehuenchen)?

It'd be really cool if there was a small guide for all the major cities (or countries) of Europe for trips of various days (1-3, 5-7, 7-14).

I think it'd be possible if you could get one or two goons who know various cities (or even regions, like say, Bavaria, the South of France, the Swiss Alps, etc) to do a writeup for each one.

That said it would probably be way more trouble than it's worth.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

HookShot posted:

It'd be really cool if there was a small guide for all the major cities (or countries) of Europe for trips of various days (1-3, 5-7, 7-14).

I think it'd be possible if you could get one or two goons who know various cities (or even regions, like say, Bavaria, the South of France, the Swiss Alps, etc) to do a writeup for each one.

That said it would probably be way more trouble than it's worth.

maybe just general well known/cool poo poo to do in each area? As someone who's lived in Munich, I can tell you that there is so loving much to do in bavaria a guide like that would be absolutely insane

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Landsknecht posted:

maybe just general well known/cool poo poo to do in each area? As someone who's lived in Munich, I can tell you that there is so loving much to do in bavaria a guide like that would be absolutely insane
Yeah, I know, there's just so loving much, that's the problem for everywhere. I'm French and know Paris really, really well, which has the exact same problem of having thousands of things to do.

So yeah, I was kind of thinking the "If you have X days in this city do this" sort of guides would limit the number of things listed, but yeah, general cool poo poo sounds godo too.

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
Sorry if it's already been covered. I'm heading to Europe in January and I'm gonna get a credit card as a just in case. Is there any specific brand to avoid/go for or will visa/MasterCard be fine?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

sewersider posted:

Sorry if it's already been covered. I'm heading to Europe in January and I'm gonna get a credit card as a just in case. Is there any specific brand to avoid/go for or will visa/MasterCard be fine?

Mastercard/Visa are fine. Just make sure your card is chip and pin ready and you know your pin. If your bank does not offer cards with chips, ask them for your pin anyway. All credit cards have one and at least that way you can get money from an atm in europe.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Landsknecht posted:

Links to the bus lines (see DNova's post above) and train lines would be good, probably a link to the Saving money on a plane ticket thread. Maybe include a list of how Ryanair will try to gently caress you over?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Maybe some transportation options/links on popular routes like London - Paris - Amsterdam or Berlin - Praque - Vienna.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Hey peeps

Heading to Barcelona for like 4 days, what's some can't miss stuff? So far we've got Parc Guell, Las Ramblas area, and Gaudi area. Food recommendations (Spanish or local food definitely, cheap preferably) would be great too.

Sorry for the lazy post, I would do a search but only have my phone and there's no search feature.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

elwood posted:

Mastercard/Visa are fine. Just make sure your card is chip and pin ready and you know your pin. If your bank does not offer cards with chips, ask them for your pin anyway. All credit cards have one and at least that way you can get money from an atm in europe.

Try to get a credit card with a chip. ATMs that accept magnet stripes are getting replaced more and more as an anti-skimming measure. You will still be able to get money for now as the old models will still be around for years but you might run into machines that won't accept a chipless card.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

peak debt posted:

Try to get a credit card with a chip. ATMs that accept magnet stripes are getting replaced more and more as an anti-skimming measure. You will still be able to get money for now as the old models will still be around for years but you might run into machines that won't accept a chipless card.

Not to mention there's a lot of places in Europe now that literally can no longer accept cards without chips.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Can anyone recommend a prepaid phone provider in Brussels with data? Don't need a whole lot as I'll only be there a couple days; just need enough for basic email and google maps to help me get around the city. I've got an unlocked phone, just need a sim.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

So my vacation starting June 18th in London and ending three weeks later is coming to crunch time for booking things.

First, is it worth taking the train from Amsterdam--->some German city--->Prague or would I be better off just booking a cheap flight like Ryanair? I don't know what's its like in Prague but I've heard the airport in Amsterdam can be difficult.

As a joint question, is it really worth it to just get the full blow rail pass to get from London-Paris-Amsterdam-(possible German city)-Prague-Berlin or would we be better off just buying tickets individually?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Mr.AARP posted:

So my vacation starting June 18th in London and ending three weeks later is coming to crunch time for booking things.

First, is it worth taking the train from Amsterdam--->some German city--->Prague or would I be better off just booking a cheap flight like Ryanair? I don't know what's its like in Prague but I've heard the airport in Amsterdam can be difficult.

As a joint question, is it really worth it to just get the full blow rail pass to get from London-Paris-Amsterdam-(possible German city)-Prague-Berlin or would we be better off just buying tickets individually?

The up-front cost of the plane ticket is a lot cheaper, especially if you book months in advance. It's also a lot faster. However, there are quite some hidden costs in time and money for flying, because the airports are in the middle of nowhere, and departure times are sometimes god awful (6am). Trains go literally from downtown to downtown, and you get to see some country side, but a ride like that can take 10-12 hours, while only 1.5 hour net flying time. Nighttrain is also an option, because it will save you a hotel booking, but not sure if that is your thing, because of poor sleep and no shower.

Ryanair and Wizzair (the Eastern European equivalent) don't fly from Amsterdam, you have to start from Eindhoven (~1.5 hour train ride from A'dam, 20 minute bus ride). The Prague airport is reasonably close to the city.
The more regular carriers also will have flights from A'dam to Prague, but they are more expensive. I don't which specific hassle from A'dam airport you are referring to, but I like it. There is plenty of activity, and no 5 terminals separated by a light rail. The only thing is that it can be quite busy sometimes.

I don't know the specifics of the rail passes and which trains you can get on and which not, but the direct lines between London-Paris and Paris-Amsterdam are private business-ran high-speed trains which require supplemental tickets and reservations.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

NihilismNow posted:

For those planning to visit Amsterdam in 2013: The planned closure of the Coffeeshops for foreigners has been lifted for Amsterdam. The city has been granted permission to deal with the issue as they see fit (keep everything as it has been basically).

Is it cool if I PM you with a few questions about this stuff?

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
Going to Budapest for 4 days at the end of February and looking for suggestions for things that shouldn't be missed. Going to be a group of 5 guys in our mid-twenties. Appreciate that the timing is probably not the best and that it's going to be pretty chilly but it is what it is. Open to any ideas be they cultural or alcohol based.

We're all fairly well traveled but any specific getting about advice, accommodation advice or scams to watch out for would also be appreciated.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Is it cool if I PM you with a few questions about this stuff?

Probably more usefull if you just keep it in the thread. We've had (short) Amsterdam related derails earlier.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Mr.AARP posted:

An option is to take a StenaLine ferry to Amsterdam. A ticket costs about $150, but includes a ferry ride with sleeper option (so you save a hostel/hotel room; there after different room and meal options to make it cheaper, I think like $100 or even less. you can also go during the day for cheaper.), and then once you dock a train takes you straight to Amsterdam Centraal. And it's cool to ride a huge ferry. All you have to do extra is buy a ticket to whatever dock they leave from, a train from Liverpool Street station in London takes you directly there and is relatively cheap.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

Laminator posted:

An option is to take a StenaLine ferry to Amsterdam. A ticket costs about $150, but includes a ferry ride with sleeper option (so you save a hostel/hotel room; there after different room and meal options to make it cheaper, I think like $100 or even less. you can also go during the day for cheaper.), and then once you dock a train takes you straight to Amsterdam Centraal. And it's cool to ride a huge ferry. All you have to do extra is buy a ticket to whatever dock they leave from, a train from Liverpool Street station in London takes you directly there and is relatively cheap.

Sorry I forgot to include my itinerary from a few pages back. I plan on going London-->Paris-->Amsterdam. I also need some hostel recommendations if anyone has some advice.

June 17 - 21: London
June 21 - 26: Paris
June 26 - 29: Amsterdam (Flying Pig Downtown)
(?)June 29/30: Aachen, Cologne (?)
June 30 - July 3: Prague (Fusion?)
July 3 - July 6: Berlin

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Rojkir posted:

Probably more usefull if you just keep it in the thread. We've had (short) Amsterdam related derails earlier.

Well, alright then. I'll try to break this up into a few areas of inquiry.

I'd like to take a day trip to Amsterdam with some friends. We want to go to an art museum, but apparently Rijksmuseum is closed until April? So maybe Stedelijk, I don't know. Van Gogh is great, but I think we'd rather see a variety of things than a whole museum of all one person.

We'd also like to go to a coffee shop, but I have no idea how to find information about which ones are better or worse or less touristy. A friend who will be coming with was pretty involved in the California pot thing for a while, so I'd like to be able to point out someplace that would impress. Also I have absolutely no idea what prices to expect on pot / food / drinks, so any information on that would be great.

New Years is around the corner, is it worth making our trip then, or would it be better another time? We can watch fireworks pretty near by and I don't like clubbing, but if you think the trip would be more fun on New Years I'm totally up for it.

We'll be coming from Belgium and if you have any tips on cheap tickets I'd love to hear them.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

Ryanair and Wizzair (the Eastern European equivalent) don't fly from Amsterdam, you have to start from Eindhoven (~1.5 hour train ride from A'dam, 20 minute bus ride). The Prague airport is reasonably close to the city.
The more regular carriers also will have flights from A'dam to Prague, but they are more expensive. I don't which specific hassle from A'dam airport you are referring to, but I like it. There is plenty of activity, and no 5 terminals separated by a light rail. The only thing is that it can be quite busy sometimes.

It seems Easyjet has a direct flight once a day from Amsterdam to Prague for about $70. Would this be worth pursuing?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Mr.AARP posted:

It seems Easyjet has a direct flight once a day from Amsterdam to Prague for about $70. Would this be worth pursuing?

I would go for it: it's a good deal, and better than traveling to Eindhoven first. Just watch the departure times.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

Mr.AARP posted:

...I've heard the airport in Amsterdam can be difficult.

I'm curious, what did you hear that make it sound difficult? It's one of the easiest airports I've ever visited.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Well, alright then. I'll try to break this up into a few areas of inquiry.

I'd like to take a day trip to Amsterdam with some friends. We want to go to an art museum, but apparently Rijksmuseum is closed until April? So maybe Stedelijk, I don't know. Van Gogh is great, but I think we'd rather see a variety of things than a whole museum of all one person.

Rijksmuseum will be closed except for a small section showing the very best pieces (like the nightwatch) until Q2 2013 ish. Van Gogh museum is also closed until April 2013, until then part of the collection is on display in the Hermitage dependance. Amsterdam's museums are under reconstruction a lot.
The Stedelijk is fully open after having been renovated for god knows how many years. It has a pretty varied collection, it would probably be your best bet right now (or the Hermitage dependance).

quote:

We'd also like to go to a coffee shop, but I have no idea how to find information about which ones are better or worse or less touristy. A friend who will be coming with was pretty involved in the California pot thing for a while, so I'd like to be able to point out someplace that would impress. Also I have absolutely no idea what prices to expect on pot / food / drinks, so any information on that would be great.

As for what shops are best there are a lot of different opinions on this, Grey Area, Dampkring, "de Rokerij" and Bluebird are great shops from personal experience, no doubt there are dozens of others worth visiting. You can find coffeeshops pretty easily through google maps. Dampkring especially has a great atmosphere (and a great selection of weed with knowledgeable salespeople).
Amsterdam is a little more expensive than the rest of the country for pot due to the tourist effect. Expect to pay €7-8 a gram for regular strains, about €10-12 a gram for haze (sativa) based strains. A cup of coffee will be €2-3 (outside really expensive places like Dam square) a beer or softdrink about the same. Expect to pay around €5-8 for a cheap fast food meal (Fries, Donner kebab) and around €7-12 for something decent-ish (Wok restaurant, Surinamese Roti).

quote:

New Years is around the corner, is it worth making our trip then, or would it be better another time? We can watch fireworks pretty near by and I don't like clubbing, but if you think the trip would be more fun on New Years I'm totally up for it.

We'll be coming from Belgium and if you have any tips on cheap tickets I'd love to hear them.

New years can be ... chaotic. This is not a organised fireworks show. This will be thousands of people in varying degrees of intoxication playing with their own fireworks. Statistically speaking it is not very dangerous but it is entirely possible to have the poo poo scared out of you by heavy illegal fireworks going off 2 meters behind you, it certainly is a sight to behold if you are cool with this come check it out (maybe buy some fireworks for yourself).
The clubs and bars will be packed as well and a lot of them charge a entry fee on NYE. Januari 1st almost everything will be closed, so there won't be much to do then. Unless you really want to experience the new years eve chaos i'd go some other time myself.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

What exactly are the EU laws air needing to carry your passport with your at all times? I have never carried it and left it back in my bag in my room, but I guess legally you're supposed to carry it at all times. What punishment can you get from not having it on you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Laminator posted:

What exactly are the EU laws air needing to carry your passport with your at all times? I have never carried it and left it back in my bag in my room, but I guess legally you're supposed to carry it at all times. What punishment can you get from not having it on you?

Legally, I don't know, but I have never, I mean NEVER been asked for my passport aside from when doing formal government stuff or crossing borders. Theoretically, crossing borders within the eurozone shouldn't require any identification at all, but that's not always the case in my experience.