Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Migeman posted:

Welcome to The Madhouse, Bats: Let's Play Batman Arkham Asylum

Batman Arkham Asylum was released in 2009 by Rocksteady and has gained very favourable reviews, being one of the better Superhero games to be released in recent years. This isn't part of any sort of continuity, it borrows many elements from the comics and the Animated series and contains its own set background, we aren't given an origin story we are thrown in media res, Batman and the setting is done for us.

The gameplay is very simple and rewarding, I will go into more detail as options and tactics expand as the game goes on.

Part 1: http://youtu.be/YZVwDreMC9Y

I will make work expanding this OP soon enough, but I want to iron out any flaws with the content at the moment.

First thing that stood out, I don't believe we need to watch the game boot. Maybe just start with the main menu or, preferably imo, the opening cinematic. This is pretty minor, though.

Second thing is that the commentary is quite sparse. I think it's about twelve minutes until you say a word. I know that the first sequence with the Joker is pretty incredible to hear, but some light commentary would be appreciated. Introduce yourself, the game, throw in some Batman background here and there, etc. The incidental dialogue in this game is great, but some of it isn't terribly important and you should definitely work on saying what you want before the good stuff cuts you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

djw175 posted:

Hello, I'm back again. I'm still working on the combined video, but while working on it a question came up. Should I use some type of transition while switching between the two screens? It looks too abrupt to me without it, but I don't know what the general consensus on transitions here is.

Transitions should be fine. I've played around with Star Force videos before when I was bored and I found that either having the bottom screen slide up to cover the top screen or having the top screen slide up to reveal the bottom screen when you're selecting cards and then reversing whichever transition you choose looks nicest. I'm not sure if AVISynth can do this though. I think the Animate command might actually work, but I'm not sure.

Here's an example I just made. I can't provide an AVISynth script here because I edited this in Vegas and frameserved it to MeGUI, but this is just an example of what I'm suggesting.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Ah, he didn't archive it but it's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437505

But yea, he did all that and more so. Like he found absolutely everything, had everything.

Well, I don't know what I can add to it then. How old is that LP though? I can't actually view it.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

First thing that stood out, I don't believe we need to watch the game boot. Maybe just start with the main menu or, preferably imo, the opening cinematic. This is pretty minor, though.

Second thing is that the commentary is quite sparse. I think it's about twelve minutes until you say a word. I know that the first sequence with the Joker is pretty incredible to hear, but some light commentary would be appreciated. Introduce yourself, the game, throw in some Batman background here and there, etc. The incidental dialogue in this game is great, but some of it isn't terribly important and you should definitely work on saying what you want before the good stuff cuts you off.

Well my main thoughts is that for the first 12 minutes it's just a continuation of the opening cinematic, I didn't really think it would be 'right' to talk over it, and being the first part, it is more story, I've recorded the footage for the second part and these two parts are quite story heavy. I can imagine the commentary getting more involved as I go along.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

ChaosArgate posted:

Transitions should be fine. I've played around with Star Force videos before when I was bored and I found that either having the bottom screen slide up to cover the top screen or having the top screen slide up to reveal the bottom screen when you're selecting cards and then reversing whichever transition you choose looks nicest. I'm not sure if AVISynth can do this though. I think the Animate command might actually work, but I'm not sure.

Avisynth can definitely produce that effect - if the TransAll library doesn't have what you need, then you can write a custom function that takes the two clips and an integer n, and crops, say, the bottom n pixels from the bottom clip and the bottom (height - n) pixels of the top clip, then StackVertical them together. Animate over n from height to zero. I could probably write the custom function for you if you want, but I'd need a bit of time to test it before posting it here (or perhaps more appropriately in the TSF).

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Migeman posted:

Well, I don't know what I can add to it then. How old is that LP though? I can't actually view it.

It's about a year old; you can see the status and dates of all LPs, archived or no, on the LP Master List: http://lparchive.org/lpmaster

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Migeman posted:

Well my main thoughts is that for the first 12 minutes it's just a continuation of the opening cinematic, I didn't really think it would be 'right' to talk over it, and being the first part, it is more story, I've recorded the footage for the second part and these two parts are quite story heavy. I can imagine the commentary getting more involved as I go along.

You aren't wrong, but it's just... awkward, not to hear an LPer talk until halfway in the video. You certainly should let the opening sequence speak for itself, but maybe at least an introduction before the game begins proper. Maybe that's just me, though. Maybe someone else could weigh in here.

V Well, there you go.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 28, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You aren't wrong, but it's just... awkward, not to hear an LPer talk until halfway in the video. You certainly should let the opening sequence speak for itself, but maybe at least an introduction before the game begins proper. Maybe that's just me, though. Maybe someone else could weigh in here.
I agreed with that sentiment on the previous page ;)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think that first 12 minutes would be a nice place for some subtitle commentary. You say you'd like to get into some Batman lore and trivia, so that would be the time to start. Talk about them bringing back Mark Hamill as the Joker, or the guy who plays Batman. Give us a little bit of context for some of the stuff we see, like Killer Croc, that might not mean as much to someone who isn't into Batman.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I'd like to address this point from a few pages ago (I'm sure it's that far back by now) to say that you're mostly wrong. Not completely wrong, but mostly wrong. I would say that if you don't enjoy what you're doing enough to make videos even if there's no audience, then making videos is not the hobby for you.

I completely disagree. It's extremely disheartening to post an update to my LP, and after a week only have one post by Glazius in response.

I try to show off games and provide some entertainment, but what's the point of going through all the work that I do when all I get is a complete radio silence?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I completely disagree. It's extremely disheartening to post an update to my LP, and after a week only have one post by Glazius in response.

I try to show off games and provide some entertainment, but what's the point of going through all the work that I do when all I get is a complete radio silence?

For me it's the opposite. The less people watching my LP the less self-conscious I am about my videos. Fewer people are seeing something I am going to be embarrassed about in a year or so.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Suspicious Dish posted:

It comes with the territory of doing weird stuff, though. On top of that, most people don't really post much. I know that in between my FE6 updates, I generally get the same 5-10 people who actively post. When I open it up for voting, however, suddenly I have 50 people following the thread. They don't really have anything to add, so they don't post. I know that's how I am with your De Blob LP. I like it, and they tried something cool and different, but what can I really add to the discussion? "Oh, the soundtrack was great for that level." "Wow, I can see why you never want to 100% any of these levels."

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
But Mico, why should you have to feel ashamed? As long as you're working, paying your taxes, and generally being a good person, it's up to you what you do with your free time, isn't it?

My thing though, is that I have so much free time, that I feel bad whenever I don't do something at least semi-productive with it, such as hanging out with my cousins or what have you. And I know that there are times whenever I'm feeling really bored, or doing chores or whatever, that I like to put on a really good podcast or LP to listen to during those times, and I've even heard of people who have reported that the LP's of various people have given them some comfort during really hard times.

So, since I love video games so much, since I love LP's so much, and since I like entertaining so much, I oughta combine those habits to make something awesome. I have games I really like, and I'm the kind of guy who always loves to find the fastest, most efficient ways of beating them. I only show extraneous flavor text and the like because I know there are people who like that stuff.

That's why I don't think LP's ought to be considered weird, or looked down upon, and why one shouldn't be ashamed of doing them.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Eh, video games are still kinda looked down upon. The last thing I want my co-workers to know is that I record myself talking to pretend people about a video game.

Well, maybe not last thing but it is definitely in the top 3 things that I don't want my co-workers to know.

As for feedback and people seeing my stuff, that personally makes me happier. But just creating a better final result makes me pretty happy, too. I still rewatch my old videos.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I mean it in the sense that as I get better at commentary, going back and listening to my older videos becomes incredibly painful.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Suspicious Dish posted:

The problem is that sometimes there really isn't much to say. Some games, taking Spec Ops for example, evoke thought and discussion. Others, like De blob, are just kinda chill and are fun to listen to but don't really bring up a lot of talking points.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Suspicious Dish posted:

I suppose now is the time to say: God bless you, Glazius, you crazy bastard for apparently reading every single LP. :patriot:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'd also like to point out that too much of a good thing and all that; look at DarkId's or orenronen's LPs. People go totally nuts there.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Magnetic North posted:

I suppose now is the time to say: God bless you, Glazius, you crazy bastard for apparently reading every single LP. :patriot:
Amen. I always know I'll get one more post from him. :patriot:

To add to postchat, though, I'd say that how good it is to have lots of posts depends heavily on the game. To use Brainamp's example, I wouldn't really want a lot of posts if I did a thread about de Blob because honestly, what the gently caress would people have to say? If there were a lot of posts I'd imagine that they'd stray away from talking about the game itself almost immediately. Posts are great and all, but I'd like them to, y'know, actually talk about the game.

On the other hand, I do have to support Suspicious Dish's assertion that not getting a lot of posts for certain games can be really disheartening. I haven't done that many LPs, but I know that's the case for me, especially considering that the games I've done (Exit Fate & Last Scenario) are huge loving achievements for what they are and I honestly think it's a shame that more people don't know about them. I mean, I'm still going to finish what I've started, but it is a little annoying when only 4-5 people comment on an update you've worked a lot on.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SSNeoman posted:

I'd also like to point out that too much of a good thing and all that; look at DarkId's or orenronen's LPs. People go totally nuts there.

That's why the view count's probably a better indicator of that sort of thing. Having lots of replies is nice, but if 90% of them are white noise bullshit, I'd probably be more demoralized.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

To add to postchat, though, I'd say that how good it is to have lots of posts depends heavily on the game. To use Brainamp's example, I wouldn't really want a lot of posts if I did a thread about de Blob because honestly, what the gently caress would people have to say?

That wasn't Brainamp's example :saddowns:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If there were a lot of posts I'd imagine that they'd stray away from talking about the game itself almost immediately. Posts are great and all, but I'd like them to, y'know, actually talk about the game.

The commentary approach I've been taking is to just let the conversation happen, because the game, while fun to play, isn't very fun to watch, so discussing random garbage is better than dead air, and talk about the game when it presents something new and exciting. So, in this case, if there isn't anything new to say about the game itself, I'd hoped the thread would continue the discussion.

I don't really care if the thread is talking about the game itself, because really, what exactly are you going to say about the game? Hopefully what I upload is enough to inspire some form of conversation; if not, I feel I failed in some way.

I guess as a more general forums question: are people really afraid to have a conversation about silly things in threads, even if it's not directly related to the game? Is it even off-topic from a rules standpoint? I see the thread as an extension of the conversation in the video, so I'd say that continuing the conversation is on-topic.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Amen. I always know I'll get one more post from him. :patriot:

To add to postchat, though, I'd say that how good it is to have lots of posts depends heavily on the game. To use Brainamp's example, I wouldn't really want a lot of posts if I did a thread about de Blob because honestly, what the gently caress would people have to say? If there were a lot of posts I'd imagine that they'd stray away from talking about the game itself almost immediately. Posts are great and all, but I'd like them to, y'know, actually talk about the game.

On the other hand, I do have to support Suspicious Dish's assertion that not getting a lot of posts for certain games can be really disheartening. I haven't done that many LPs, but I know that's the case for me, especially considering that the games I've done (Exit Fate & Last Scenario) are huge loving achievements for what they are and I honestly think it's a shame that more people don't know about them. I mean, I'm still going to finish what I've started, but it is a little annoying when only 4-5 people comment on an update you've worked a lot on.

I raised a lot of these points a while ago, and I definitely agree. I haven't worked on a major update yet that didn't take me 5-6 hours of work, and that's for a relatively vanilla update that doesn't require that much effort. I have to play the game, write the scripts, get the videos, upload the videos, take the screenshots, edit the screenshots (which usually are around 100-140 per update the way I work, maybe I'm crazy), grab all the extras and such, then finally check everything looks right and none of the tags are off or whatever mistakes may pop up while I'm writing.

I definitely enjoy the work, and it's something to spend my free time on, but it definitely doesn't seem worth the effort a lot if so few people are seeing it. In any case, you're right. If you started it, it's your obligation to finish it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Suspicious Dish posted:

I guess as a more general forums question: are people really afraid to have a conversation about silly things in threads, even if it's not directly related to the game? Is it even off-topic from a rules standpoint? I see the thread as an extension of the conversation in the video, so I'd say that continuing the conversation is on-topic.

This isn't universal, but I'm willing to bet it just comes down to someone starting the conversation by a post rather than the LP video itself, though these posts tend to happen because of the video. If there's nothing there to spur it on it's rather unlikely for someone to post in a thread with no recent posts attempting to spur on a new topic of conversation.

That said, I don't know how this applies to your videos because I haven't watched them. Checking the first one out of guilt makes me think I should probably go watch the rest because drat that music is great. :allears:

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes, people are really afraid, because some LPers get really pissy about it (the reason why I stopped following the Pokemon Black/White LP, for example), and if a mod sees it, the person will probably get probated.
Unlike Elentor FF7's thread, where there was a nice and relatively informative derail. :shobon:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yea, being friends with Deceitful Penguin and knowing his probations, I can definitely tell you that off topic posting can definitely be frowned upon. I suppose it has to do with the OP and what they normally have to deal with; I personally let people ramble and do what they want to, but I can see how it's cumbersome to deal with at times.

And I too try not to get brought down by a poor thread response, but it's hard sometimes. I mean when I did Silent Hill 2, I actually put a lot of time and effort into making it a well thought out LP (which required me to play through the game some 14 or 15 ought times and trying to keep all the inane lore straight), and I still see that LP as a failure due to the lackluster response it got. Fast forward a couple years later, and I do some minimal effort LP of Silent Hill 4 and it got a massive response. Such fluctuations have occurred throughout my LP's and I just try to not think about it too much ahead of time, cause it drives me insane.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think it's a little unfair to say that derails aren't allowed. I think the problem is more what comes with them: a lot of times when derails start you end up with further meta-derails where some people start posting how the derail is stupid and can we please talk about the game, and others start posting about how the derail is just fine and blah blah blah. If you can have a derail that doesn't descend into that bickering then I'm sure it's fine, but those kinds of derails are rare.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Not to derail the conversation about derails, but...

Test post has been updated.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sylphid posted:

I raised a lot of these points a while ago, and I definitely agree. I haven't worked on a major update yet that didn't take me 5-6 hours of work, and that's for a relatively vanilla update that doesn't require that much effort. I have to play the game, write the scripts, get the videos, upload the videos, take the screenshots, edit the screenshots (which usually are around 100-140 per update the way I work, maybe I'm crazy), grab all the extras and such, then finally check everything looks right and none of the tags are off or whatever mistakes may pop up while I'm writing.

I definitely enjoy the work, and it's something to spend my free time on, but it definitely doesn't seem worth the effort a lot if so few people are seeing it. In any case, you're right. If you started it, it's your obligation to finish it.

To bring up another point - SSLPs suffer a bit more if people aren't posting. If you get 5-6 posts between updates, given that each page on SA has 40 posts, you're looking at a good 5-7+ updates on a single page. Which can be brutal for a SSLP, especially if you're not using something like Infranview to reduce the bandwith of your screenshots.

It certainly doesn't mean people are obligated to post, but I think it's understandable sometimes when the LPer's enthusiasm flags a little. It's not an ego thing (though it can be), it's mostly just wanting to make sure you're making something people enjoy. It's good to hear 'you're doing such a great job, I don't really have anything to contribute', but there always lies the limitations of the forum structure.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah, practically all of my LP's have been of the four replies or less per update variety, but that comes with the territory of doing lesser known games. I hate having to beg for more posts so that I don't have 5 big-image updates a page, but there's not much else that can be done. Too much white noise is bad, but none at all can be just as bad for the opposite reason.

:patriot: I should also salute Glazius for posting in almost every LP, and not just with white noise, but comments that show he actually read the LP.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

Basically, the issue I see is that derails can get "circlejerky" meaning that there's a topic maybe a group of posters know about, but don't explain and leaves most others unable to contribute in a meaningful way.

One of the big issues in Geop's Dark Souls LP is that it's supposed to be blind, and posters are supposed to comment on what's been presented in the LP. To that end, I think the thread is good both for people who know what's coming and want to see his reaction to it, and also people who want to watch it blind themselves. But occasionally, people will post things like "Wait til Geop gets to the next level! poo poo will go down!"

That's an in-group/out-group kind of post, especially because other posters in the know will continue the derail with things like "Do you mean the thing with that one temple? Or the thing with the magic cursed item?" And it'll go on from there, and people who want to watch the LP, but don't know enough about Dark Souls, either have to try and change the topic, or just not post because they can't contribute.

(Spoiler tags can help this, but it can also hurt as you get a series of black-bar posts that people who want to remain unspoiled just have to skip altogether.)

It's a tricky line, and in cases like that, it's easier to say "This topic belongs in the Dark Souls Games thread" but people will still toe it (or cross it).

I wouldn't mind people talking about Super Mario Sunshine in the Mario Galaxy 2 thread, because Mario's well known enough that even you hadn't played a specific game, the odds are that you can at least figure out what the poster means by it, or contribute by comparing it to another Mario game, or hell, even another platformer in general. Even if the Super Mario Bros. cartoon show or movie comes up, that's okay by me*.

One of my (many) issues in the Super Dangan Ronpa 2 thread is there's a lot of hardcore anime fans in a thread that I feel could appeal to people not necessarily of that bent. If people compare a character from that game to a game like Persona 4? Eh... well... it's a similar game... maybe... But when people compare a character from the game to K-On... well... I've personally never heard of K-On. But maybe...

But worse, other people who've seen those things will start talking about those comparisons, and you end up with a page or two that appeal to people who've had to have seen that specific media to contribute. I know some of you reading this may think Persona 4/K-On aren't "out there" enough, or comparable to Mario on some level, but I'm using that point to illustrate what I'm getting at.

The line crosser to me: Someone will post "Is everyone named Hanamura like that?" by itself. And I have no loving clue what the person's talking about. (It's Persona 4, I figured out, thanks to someone else's post.) I can't reply to it, I can't contribute; I just have no idea. I hit someone else for a low-content post and I was annoyed because the person used the term "yandere" (with no explanation or context) and I don't feel that's a well-known enough term to contribute discussion. Anime fans probably disagree with me on both those points, but no matter the game's animation style, I just don't think it's fair to everyone else.

But again, it's a tricky thing to legislate. Those play-by-post war strategy threads? A lot of them go into D&D territory as posters argue historical politics and "what if" scenarios. I hate those reports because I have to take a mini-history lesson every time. But to be fair, the thread itself will usually provide that context to some degree; it's not a topic divorced from the game itself.

tl;dr - I don't think it's necessary to triple-check all your posts for inclusivity to all posters on SA, and it's fair to assume people in here know a lot about video games. But if a topic's going on longer than usual, and it seems like no one's talking about anything else, it could be because it's derailed into a topic that people don't feel knowledgable/comfortable enough with to contribute to.

Or yeah, it could be that the LP update just didn't leave a whole lot to talk about.

* (Side note: there was a short pun derail in Galaxy 2, which I think is sort of a ubiquitous thing in SA. Puns can get annoying because it's not even about building off a person's previous joke to make something funnier; it can end up just being a string of "Oh hey, I've got one too!" and it ends up being a bunch of low-content, low-effort wordplay jokes. That's the sort of derail where, if you see 6-7 people post a pun, and you think of one, you should probably just review real quick and see "Is this actually pretty clever, or was it just the first thing I thought of?")

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's good to hear 'you're doing such a great job, I don't really have anything to contribute', but there always lies the limitations of the forum structure.

I agree with your points on SSLP posts, especially insofar as having 2-3 updates on a given page.

In the past, I've let positive-encouragement white-noisy posts go for reasons like that - and because it is good to reward good posting when it happens. It's gotten a little out of hand lately, though.

I would say to try and pad positive reinforcement with... just something. Even like...

"I loved the update, you're doing a good job. By the way, what's with [this level's gimmick]?" Or even "This reminds me of [something]"

One white noise post I would allow, by the by? (Note: Once in awhile.) "Hey, we're near the end of page 6 and I've already got 3-4 updates here. So I just wanna push us to the next page." It's better to be clever about that, and maybe ask a question of your thread posters, even if it's a silly/bullshit question, but if you have to for the sake of bogging down browsers, I'd let that slide.

But again, once in a while - every page of your LP thread shouldn't be suffixed with that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

asymmetrical posted:

Yes, people are really afraid, because some LPers get really pissy about it (the reason why I stopped following the Pokemon Black/White LP, for example), and if a mod sees it, the person will probably get probated.

You know how easily a derail in a Pokemon thread can spiral out of control? Very easily. There's a lot of Pokemon and very little of it is relevant at the time. The derails stop being about the LP and end up about Pokemon in general in no time flat. It took next to no time at all for someone mentioning Dream World abilities for the thread to start discussing Truant Durants. It will be more than a few updates until we see any Durants, even longer to see the ability Truant, and Durants with Truant will never be part of the LP. No one has shown the dream world, no one has seen a Durant, and Durants don't even get their hidden ability until the sequel. It's not part of the LP. It's off-topic.

I don't squash derails because I hate discussion, I do it because the derails will end up somewhere vaguely related in a very high traffic thread, which will spell disaster. And because the discussions would be better suited for the very real and active Pokemon megathread in Games. You can talk about Truant Durants all you want there. It is and will be relevant. And that's the problem: The derails aren't relevant to the thread besides the broad topic of "Pokemon" when there is a thread whose topic is "Pokemon". This isn't like Digimon World where my LP was the only thread for the game, there is a better place for these discussions. I'll even link it right now.

The LP is geared towards people who haven't played Pokemon since Red and Blue, or at all. The derails almost invariably go towards things we haven't seen or will not see. If your only Pokemon memories are Pikachu being everywhere in the late 90's and having trouble with Brock, how much does Truant Durant mean to you? Jack poo poo, it's exclusive. Regardless of how the thread's audience actually turned out I'm still going to work to the goal of presenting Pokemon to someone who doesn't know it inside and out. To that, I'd honestly much prefer people not post at all rather than post something only somewhat related that involves Pokemon content not seen or will never be seen. High traffic really isn't a blessing, you know.

I don't recall Zorak probating anyone for derailing as long as they quit, it's always for something stupid they shouldn't have posted anyway, derail or no.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Please, just shut up OFS.

I hit people for derailing when it is awful and it is quite often awful. Is a derail is remotely interesting and doesn't break instructions or belong somewhere else, such a derail can exist. It almost always doesn't.

Silly things are fine. Lots of goofy fanart come out of those threads. The issue is people talking about things that really equivocate to "The gently caress is a megathread?" Which means they're largely contributing things that are of minimal worth and belong in a general discussion thread anyway, and have nothing at all to do with the LP in question.

General positive reinforcement posts are fine, I feel, since authors do need some level of positive feedback in order to continue. The line between that and white noise is admittedly thin, yes, but there is a line.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 28, 2012

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

You have to believe wholeheartedly in what you are doing with LPs. I started Leisure Suit Larry with no inclination of how much work an SSLP takes. What went from easy became vastly more complex as I went through the series. What started as capping some screenshots and making a few gifs turned to recording and editing audio, transcribing scripts, making nonstop gifs, etc. And all it took for me to burn out was the inkling creeping into my head of "I don't get enough viewers and commentors to keep doing this poo poo. Look at idonotlikepeas thread...why the gently caress does he get so much attention...gently caress it..."

I fought guilty feelings for a while and kept the LP on life support but my spirit for doing it was broken, just because I let the desire of constant attention to my thread get in my way. So please, if you start it, don't give a crap who reads it. Treat it like you are a writing a novel. Nobody may read the thing but as time passes, you can still see that your contribution is there on the shelves for that one curious person who may just be looking for that LP that you took the time to do. That should mean more than post counts.

Edit: I loved idonotlikepeas thread too, just to be clear.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 28, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zorak posted:

Please, just shut up OFS.

I felt called out and forced to respond. It's a problem of mine, I'll admit. :saddowns:

And now for something actually useful:

Edward_Tohr posted:

Not to derail the conversation about derails, but...

Test post has been updated.

First, you don't mention that FE12, what Teracrane is LPing right now, is a remake of this game.

I'd suggest including your own coverage of the events of Book 1, as the game's summary is really vague. Requiring people to read a whole other LP before yours is asking a bit much, and even if they have read them, people might need a refresher more succinct than rereading an LP. And since neither the FE1 nor the FE11 LPs are in the LP archive, you'd be further cutting your audience once those threads fall off the live forums. Furthermore, your own summary would allow you to emphasize things that are important for this game.

Characters name Wendel, and neither LP uses him much. In fact I think they both kill him. It would be worth explaining who he is. Hell, I had to look him up to make sure I was thinking of the right guy. Same with Jeigan, Lawrence, Oguma, Gordin, and Doga being characters from FE1. Nothing expansive, just like "Jeigan was a Paladin in FE1, serving the same role as Alan does in this game."

You mention the Red/Green Cavalier pair but call the one in pink "green" and the one in green "red". Might want to make it clearer it's the name of the archetypes and is based on stats.

Avoid seems to be Speed+Luck, without regards to attack speed, but I don't think you mention this anywhere. Enemies' Luck and Weapon Level being -- should warrant comment, too, since it's kind of strange. Critical rate is equal to Skill, it seems, not Luck.

quote:

One of the major changes from the first game comes in here: Healers can gain XP by healing now.

What was it before, then? It's getting hit in the face, yeah, but the FE1 LP levels its main cleric to 20 on the 4th map and never mentions it again so it may not be easy to remember.

Since levels only show increases, you could show a stat line like in the FE5 LP. It would help keep track of how units are doing.

Basically, I think you assume too much familiarity with FE1 and even people who followed those might still have to look things up.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Mouser.. posted:

You have to believe wholeheartedly in what you are doing with LPs. I started Leisure Suit Larry with no inclination of how much work an SSLP takes. What went from easy became vastly more complex as I went through the series. What started as capping some screenshots and making a few gifs turned to recording and editing audio, transcribing scripts, making nonstop gifs, etc. And all it took for me to burn out was the inkling creeping into my head of "I don't get enough viewers and commentors to keep doing this poo poo. Look at idonotlikepeas thread...why the gently caress does he get so much attention...gently caress it..."

I fought guilty feelings for a while and kept the LP on life support but my spirit for doing it was broken, just because I let the desire of constant attention to my thread get in my way. So please, if you start it, don't give a crap who reads it. Treat it like you are a writing a novel. Nobody may read the thing but as time passes, you can still see that your contribution is there on the shelves for that one curious person who may just be looking for that LP that you took the time to do. That should mean more than post counts.

Edit: I loved idonotlikepeas thread too, just to be clear.

I was enjoying that thread, since I never got to play the Leisure Suit Larry games before they became nearly impossible to find. This is what I was talking about, though - if you depend on reader response for your enjoyment, then inevitably, you're going to stop enjoying what you do. You end up driven by either obsession with completing what you started or guilt over leaving your few readers hanging, and neither equates to fun. I've done LPs that got tons of responses proportional to how many videos I made, and I've done some that ended with a dozen videos in a few pages. The short ones are easier to read through at the end to make sure I didn't miss any requests or questions that I intended to address in bonus videos, but the important thing to me is that I had fun making the videos and posting in the thread regardless of how many or how few responses I got. The few times when the process got to be too much trouble, I stopped without doing all of the bonuses I'd planned. Maybe there aren't very many people who can honestly say that they enjoy the work that goes into making LP videos, or screenshot updates. There also aren't very many people who are great at it. I hope that's because there's a lot of overlap between the two groups.

Consider: How many of the people who migrate from Youtube to SA to get more views for their LPs are well-received? We all tell them that getting views isn't the point. Why should that be any different to people who read all the rules before they start and don't make it obvious how much they just want people to watch their videos?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm sorry, but I never got this, no matter how often you (or others) repeat it. I have some friends who do "real" creative work, and only the most pretentious among them claim they would do so even without an audience, because doing [whatever] is an inner need, or a means of self-expression. If you create something, it's generally because you want people to react to it (I'm equivocating because many of said friends would claim they don't need people to "like" their work, but I'm pretty sure that's not quite the place most LPers come from).

Wanting a reaction - both coherent criticism that will help you improve your future output and, yes, ego-stroking feedback that lets you know people have be affected by your work and you're doing good - is neither unusual nor counterproductive.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I'm sorry, but I never got this, no matter how often you (or others) repeat it. I have some friends who do "real" creative work, and only the most pretentious among them claim they would do so even without an audience, because doing [whatever] is an inner need, or a means of self-expression. If you create something, it's generally because you want people to react to it (I'm equivocating because many of said friends would claim they don't need people to "like" their work, but I'm pretty sure that's not quite the place most LPers come from).

Wanting a reaction - both coherent criticism that will help you improve your future output and, yes, ego-stroking feedback that lets you know people have be affected by your work and you're doing good - is neither unusual nor counterproductive.

Just to clarify, I was well aware that my LP was "liked", I got enough of an ego-boost from Al Lowe himself writing me e-mails to praise what I was doing. It didn't stop me from feeling that it wasn't worth my time because of the feeling that I wasn't getting enough post participation and "meaningful conversation". I don't feel now that this is the right way to view things and I was reminded numerous times that there just isn't that much to say about an SSLP sometimes.

Getting criticism is easy, getting meaningful conversation other than "Good job!" and "Yay update!" is something that can be frustrating if you are expecting that each one of your SSLP updates (that can take MANY hours to complete) sparks a conversation. Does this mean that you will get a puffed up ego writing your SSLP or start getting jealous of other threads attention? No, but with time and perspective, I'm not ashamed to say that started happening to me. Life is way too short to be clamoring for wannabe LP superstardom. (Especially when you're a relative nobody around these parts).

My point is and remains start an LP with the hopes that everyone loves it and discusses it 24/7. Expect that your LP gets a few "good jobs" in between updates and finish the loving thing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

Consider: How many of the people who migrate from Youtube to SA to get more views for their LPs are well-received? We all tell them that getting views isn't the point. Why should that be any different to people who read all the rules before they start and don't make it obvious how much they just want people to watch their videos?

It's not the view count or the statistics or any of that. I want to show off good games that went under the radar, and have a good time doing it. If nobody's watching, I feel I've failed in that goal.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Xander77 posted:

You have weird "real" creative friends. If they can't do work without the aid of an audience then they should probably look for another line of work. Most producers I know would keep on doing what they do if they could survive on their work without an audience. Then again I may just know more "pretentious" people than you do.

I am not disagreeing with the sentiment that wanting a reaction is bad or wrong. But it shouldn't be your main motivation for doing something. That just seems like a very "hey look at me doing this thing" approach which seldom works well in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

cKnoor posted:

I am not disagreeing with the sentiment that wanting a reaction is bad or wrong.
You're sure you don't want to add or drop a "not" in that sentence?

Seriously though: I don't see where you're jumping from "I want people to appreciate my work" to "I want people to appreciate me for my work". I don't view the latter sentiment as negatively as you seem to, but I am aware of the fact that the two are quite separate and the former is more acceptable.

You may know a lot of painters who would be content to paint what would amount to extended wallpapers in their private rooms. Or comedians that only want to make themselves laugh (granted, that one is actually a popular expression, but it should not be taken literally). Or film people who... I guess would make a film purely for the private screening amongst the film crew?

I don't. In my experience, you create because you have something to say. Whether that's something profound, or silly, political or "generically" entertaining. Not being a crazy person, when you speak, you speak to someone besides yourself. Creative work purely for the benefit of the creator is probably the one case where "intellectual masturbation" is an appropriate term.

• Locked thread