Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just print screen on the iPhone once you're done and it goes to camera roll :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Just print screen on the iPhone once you're done and it goes to camera roll :)

thanks, that's a great work around.

bit annoying to have to duplicate pictures but hey.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ropes4u posted:

The popular page is still filled with poo poo photos of Hollywood douche bags and Facebook slogans.
Well yeah, that's because the update didn't delete old posts, and it also hasn't gone through for Android devices. Hopefully they'll start banning people now too though honestly I'm not sure how much that will help. Part of the problem is that these lovely accounts have thousands of followers who like and comment on the images, and they end up on the popular page because of that. So unless IG starts deleting old content, it's all gonna keep showing up.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Is it not good that I have been using Instagram to share my other photography then? I guess I know it's not in the spirit of the app, but it's still a good platform to share with my friends who aren't nerdy enough to have a Flickr account.

Have a cellphone picture I edited in Lightroom and uploaded to the internet and also happened to share to Instagram.

o2 Arena. by Clwn, on Flickr

Le fog.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Paragon8 posted:

it is annoying because it also circumvents people editing pics in other apps like vsco or snapseed. Hopefully there is a patch for it because the fun thing about instagram is the sharing not necessarily the filters
Not sure I get what you're saying here. I still use Snapseed for my edits, and I can still post something to instagram in one of two ways: hit the export arrow and choose "open in..." and choose instagram, or "save to photo library," and then browse to that from instagram. Since Snapseed saves to the camera roll, that works.

Dominoes posted:

Why is post-processing every image so important? I notice many of the photos posted here over heavily processed, to the point where the colors don't look obviously manipulated.
Eh, a lot of times for instagram I'll process photos in a way I like, but wouldn't necessarily do with my "real" photos. Film scratches, grunge, vignettes - I'll get made fun of if I do that stuff on real photos, but instagram is just for fun.

the kawaiiest posted:

Part of the problem is that these lovely accounts have thousands of followers who like and comment on the images, and they end up on the popular page because of that.
Honestly, I look at some of the lovely stuff that makes the popular page and it's just weird. poo poo photo of someone's foot with 4,000 likes, then I'll look at the profile and it's a 17 year old girl from San Jose with 30,000 followers; I look at that and I'm like "What the gently caress?" I guess when instagram was new it was easier to get popular like that, I really don't know. You're right though, if they want to fix it they'll either have to completely reset the system (which would be hilarious) or do some major work on whatever algorithm calculates popularity.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jackpot posted:

Honestly, I look at some of the lovely stuff that makes the popular page and it's just weird. poo poo photo of someone's foot with 4,000 likes, then I'll look at the profile and it's a 17 year old girl from San Jose with 30,000 followers; I look at that and I'm like "What the gently caress?" I guess when instagram was new it was easier to get popular like that, I really don't know. You're right though, if they want to fix it they'll either have to completely reset the system (which would be hilarious) or do some major work on whatever algorithm calculates popularity.
Unfortunately I understand why a 17 year old girl's foot would be on the popular page and why she would have 30,000 followers. I guess the pervs are moving from Flickr to IG.

That said, I think there is a way to cheat your follower count and it's messing with the popular page too. I'm not sure how it works but I've seen accounts with stupid high follower counts that made no sense, and when I checked their followers page there were a ton of ghost accounts -- nothing posted and the userpic was just something random taken from Google Images. I think when the Android version came out someone figured out a way to trick the system with some sort of bot or something.

Clown posted:

Is it not good that I have been using Instagram to share my other photography then? I guess I know it's not in the spirit of the app, but it's still a good platform to share with my friends who aren't nerdy enough to have a Flickr account.
People are actually pretty divided on that. I don't believe that Instagram is meant for that at all and a lot of people (myself included) feel that folks posting DSLR shots are missing the point. We want to see photos taken that moment, with your phone; part of the appeal is that we are all using the same equipment -- a cellphone -- and working with its limitations. I follow a bunch of professional photographers on IG, but they are all shooting with their iPhones. Seeing what a very skilled photographer can do with a cellphone camera is pretty awesome and inspiring.

People have been talking about this for as long as I can remember, too. I personally just don't follow people who post DSLR shots; if I want to see that sort of thing, there are countless places I can go. It's annoying to see them on the popular page though, because that's where I go to find cool iphoneography (or androidography now too). But it's not as annoying as this: http://instagram.com/funnypix

Ughhh.

Anyway

:3:

e: here's a very old thread about DSLRs on IG: https://getsatisfaction.com/instagram/topics/indicate_non_iphone_photos
Kevin Systrom is the founder of IG and he says

quote:

We're looking into this issue right now. To be clear, I'm not sure how we fall on non-iphone photos. I think gorgeous photography is gorgeous no matter what you use. But it seems disingenuous to simply post your portfolio in a stream. So I hear ya -- we're working on it.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 13, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

jackpot posted:

Not sure I get what you're saying here. I still use Snapseed for my edits, and I can still post something to instagram in one of two ways: hit the export arrow and choose "open in..." and choose instagram, or "save to photo library," and then browse to that from instagram. Since Snapseed saves to the camera roll, that works.

I am basically complaining that they took away functionality as a feature. I like to post my professional work as my audience is a lot of makeup artists, stylists, and models. I used to be able to select the images folder on my iPhone as a source for these images but now I have to screengrab my phone to get the image to the camera roll to be able to post via instagram.

I often don't use any filters on these images, so I wasn't aware you could export from other applications to instagram. I just assumed that and wanted to give people a heads up in case they wanted to hold off on updating.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

the kawaiiest posted:

People are actually pretty divided on that. I don't believe that Instagram is meant for that at all and a lot of people (myself included) feel that folks posting DSLR shots are missing the point. We want to see photos taken that moment, with your phone; part of the appeal is that we are all using the same equipment -- a cellphone -- and working with its limitations. I follow a bunch of professional photographers on IG, but they are all shooting with their iPhones. Seeing what a very skilled photographer can do with a cellphone camera is pretty awesome and inspiring.
Yeah, it's not something I get too worked up about, but that's why I like it too. Some guy might carry a $20,000 Hassy when he's on a photoshoot, but me and him are using the same piece of poo poo when posting to instagram. The fact that his shots are all still better than mine just reinforces the fact that it's not the camera, it's the photographer.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Who are you guys following? Who's good? Some of my favorites:

spacioverde
kbasta
curious2119
13thwitness
chrisconnolly
vasssf
thiswildidea - at 150k followers pretty much everyone's following this guy, but holy poo poo, that dog!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

jackpot posted:

Who are you guys following? Who's good? Some of my favorites:

spacioverde
kbasta
curious2119
13thwitness
chrisconnolly
vasssf
thiswildidea - at 150k followers pretty much everyone's following this guy, but holy poo poo, that dog!

There's no way these are all being shot with a cellphone...

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Personally, I upload both my cellphone shots and my DSLR shots. I do feel it is a bit cheaty but I'm just sharing my pictures. I actually did a photo a day for a month project on Instagram. That was hard.

Week one started here if anyone cares. http://andrwb.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/a-photo-a-day-for-most-of-september-week-1/

It's over now anyway. Don't think I would do it again, I don't want photography to become a chore for me.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

the posted:

I'm pretty sure that spacioverde shoots with an iPhone 4 and 13thwitness uses an iPhone as well. Dunno about the rest though, never heard of those guys.

Anyway, I follow a lot of folks whose photos are not very artsy but they make me smile. Lots of baby photos and cute dogs. Nothing you guys would be interested in.

Here's one anyway though http://instagram.com/huxxi :3:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Watermarked instagram pics? For fucks sake.

I really like this guys things: http://instagram.com/peterchanur

This guy is insane and I'd love to know how he edits: http://instagram.com/jaredchambers

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Watermarked instagram pics? For fucks sake.
It's because people save and repost to their own IG streams constantly. It's yet another thing that started happening recently and is extremely annoying.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

It's because people save and repost to their own IG streams constantly. It's yet another thing that started happening recently and is extremely annoying.

poo poo like this is why I never could get into Instagram. I have a habit of snapping photos with my iPhone (now iPod) that I never shared till Instagram came around, because Instagram was basically "Twitter but for photos." Off-the-cuff, candid snaps from your phone.

But then it got flooded with people's DSLR shots, images from Reddit and 4chan, pictures of celebrities, and girls taking pictures of themselves in bathroom mirrors.

Not long after Instagram for Android was released, the problem got worse, and I deleted my account. I really dislike Facebook, too, so I don't regret leaving IG at all.

Flickr has much better users and photos in its mobile photography communities, generally. I hate to pin the blame on teenagers since it sounds so typical, but I really do get the impression that kids are to blame for IG being a cesspool. Flickr users tend to be older.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr is a cesspool too, you know. Just in different ways.

The rule applies to the entire internet, really. If you focus on carving your own little niche that doesn't suck you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

Flickr is a cesspool too, you know. Just in different ways.

The rule applies to the entire internet, really. If you focus on carving your own little niche that doesn't suck you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Oh, definitely. I just personally find it much more difficult to find interesting photos on IG than on Flickr.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hypersleep posted:

poo poo like this is why I never could get into Instagram. I have a habit of snapping photos with my iPhone (now iPod) that I never shared till Instagram came around, because Instagram was basically "Twitter but for photos." Off-the-cuff, candid snaps from your phone.

But then it got flooded with people's DSLR shots, images from Reddit and 4chan, pictures of celebrities, and girls taking pictures of themselves in bathroom mirrors.

Not long after Instagram for Android was released, the problem got worse, and I deleted my account. I really dislike Facebook, too, so I don't regret leaving IG at all.

Flickr has much better users and photos in its mobile photography communities, generally. I hate to pin the blame on teenagers since it sounds so typical, but I really do get the impression that kids are to blame for IG being a cesspool. Flickr users tend to be older.
Yeah, the release for Android really opened the floodgates. There were always problems but it got so much worse in a matter of like, a couple of days after the Android app came out. Suddenly you just couldn't avoid the crap anymore. I very nearly left IG too. But I'm a shutterbug, always have been, and I love to share my photos, and Flickr drives me crazy with the "YOU'VE BEEN AWARDED A GLITTERY STICKER" bullshit that people do over there.

But hey, you have an iPhone, right? You might want to try Starmatic. It's just like Instagram, but the popular page is curated by the Starmatic team. There's a review here that lists all the features: http://www.iphoneography.com/journal/2012/12/13/starmatic-an-alternative-to-instagram.html

The only thing I dislike about it is the repost feature, which lets other people post your photos to their stream, though the image remains linked to your account so it's not that bad, I guess.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Might be time to close your Instagram accounts, unless you are fine with your photos being used for any and all purposes without compensation.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Sounds like it's time to start posting photos of my balls on Instagram. SELL THAT ZUCKERBERG.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

There's a lot of knee jerk reactionary stuff going on with this. Instagram isn't really helping anything with the way it's pushing it through.

A lot of the "points" in that cnet article are a lot of vague interpretations supported with people bitching on twitter and getting in catchy oneliners.

As I see it instagram isn't going to become a free stock library. It seems the model they're going for is like Delta being able to use stuff which is all #aruba and be like check out these great shots from one of our many destinations.

That's what I hope at least.

I wish companies doing stuff like this wouldn't be so dumb because people are so very dumb. You could mitigate a lot of the drama by actually being aware that it's doing to make some drama. Walk people through it with examples and stuff.

Of course the irony of most of the complaining being on facebook is hilarious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Considering the way Facebook has been trying to monetize everything since their IPO, a little bit of knee jerk is appropriate. The company is not doing anything responsibly at this point, any idea that could conceivably earn them a buck is getting implemented.

The quantity of bitching is pretty funny though, especially when the remedy (closing your account) is so simple. It's not like there's a shortage of image hosting sites out there.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

oh yeah, they could be better for sure.

Just I don't think it's all as malicious as some people are making it out to be. Lawyers writing TOS unopposed will push for the most favourable terms as possible. It shouldn't be that way, but that's going to be the default until we get a generation of legal experts who actually grew up with the internet practicing law.

Not to mention there isn't great precedent for web based TOS being that enforceable. It comes down to lawyer against lawyer but I'm sure at one point we'll get a case of huge web company vs. joe public which will clarify how enforceable these TOS are. However companies are verrry careful and treading on eggshells about it. Not to mention different countries have different approaches to this kind of thing.

Facebook fortunately is smart enough to know that doing what people think it wants to do (sell images for stock) is never going to work. As soon as a story about some baby picture being bought be some random company to promote a product hits the news that's going to severely damage facebook's rep and stock price.

What we're really getting is targeted ads and the possibility that some of your pictures are going to be appearing in other feeds based on their hashtags or content to promote an advertising company. I doubt Coca Cola is going to be buying images from Instagram's library to use on billboard campaigns.

There's a weird sense of entitlement with social media that is hard to really talk about because it is coming from a genuine place and we tend to side on the individual, but companies do need to support themselves. You can't power instagram on venture capital forever. People are overwhelmingly unwilling to pay for web services which mades an ad based model attractive to nearly everyone.

That being said companies need to really build these TOS with PR in mind and that linkbait blogs with do their best to whip people up in a frenzy.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

There's a weird sense of entitlement with social media that is hard to really talk about because it is coming from a genuine place and we tend to side on the individual, but companies do need to support themselves.

In my business life I deal with managing and coaching people. The Entitlement attitude is EVERYWHERE, not just social media.

I will continue to post to IG but as of late it has been so spamy I quit looking at much. I have been toying with streamzoo and Flickr.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Instagram has posted a clarification on their blog already.

I am also enjoying Flickr a great deal now that they updated the app. I love instagram but I'm so unhappy with the spam and the lovely lolcat accounts that I'm not posting as much as I used to. They really need to do something about that.

E: honestly I hate ads and would gladly pay for an app to avoid them. I wish that was an option for instagram.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 19, 2012

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MPro is currently free. It's a monochrome only camera from the same dev that made Nofinder.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
This phone is sooo much fun.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

the posted:

Maybe, but I have a hunch they're real. Now are they amateurs, and are they all spontaneous "hey look at this perfect scene I've randomly come upon" shots? Not a chance. But there's not much that I can see in there that can't be done with an iphone.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I love how convenient this thing is.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jackpot posted:

Maybe, but I have a hunch they're real. Now are they amateurs, and are they all spontaneous "hey look at this perfect scene I've randomly come upon" shots? Not a chance. But there's not much that I can see in there that can't be done with an iphone.
Yeah, the iPhone has a really amazing camera. Even the older iPhone 4 takes amazing pictures.

e: in the hands of someone ho knows how to take good pictures anyway

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Clown posted:

Lightroom :)

I've been uploading the pictures to Dropbox and then uploading from Lightroom. Is there something I can use to watermark from my phone?

Just in case anyone was still interested in this question:

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/03/marksta-an-app-for-adding-watermarks-to-photos-on-your-smartphone/

is free for the time being after launch.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Spent the day shooting a 5D III, and the most fun shot for me took 10 seconds on my iPhone. :downs:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Spent the day shooting a 5D III, and the most fun shot for me took 10 seconds on my iPhone. :downs:

Sounds like you should trade in your DSLR for a Fuji GX617.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I opted not to bring my DSLR to Thailand and decided instead to shoot exclusively with my iPhone 4S. I'm really happy with the shots I left with.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Same here. Went to MAGfest this year, and while I'm glad I brought a DLSR for some portraits. The "fun" photos were done on my iPhone.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Macintosh posted:

I opted not to bring my DSLR to Thailand and decided instead to shoot exclusively with my iPhone 4S. I'm really happy with the shots I left with.
While I definitely wouldn't go on vacation without my dSLR, I went to Ireland and Rome for ten days this year and definitely had more fun shooting on the iphone. There's something about shooting with a square format in mind (I instagrammed the poo poo out of that trip) that just makes things more interesting, for some reason.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
When I went to Europe, I took most of my people photos with my iPhone as opposed to my DSLR. It's so harmless-looking and non-intimidating.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

jackpot posted:

While I definitely wouldn't go on vacation without my dSLR, I went to Ireland and Rome for ten days this year and definitely had more fun shooting on the iphone. There's something about shooting with a square format in mind (I instagrammed the poo poo out of that trip) that just makes things more interesting, for some reason.

Oh yeah it was a tough decision but I wanted to pack light and the deciding factor was that I didn't want to lug around a camera around my neck in 95 degree weather with crazy humidity. If I were traveling anywhere else, I probably would have brought it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I got the Slow Shutter app. Works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The 3g camera still sucks a lot.