Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cardboard Fox posted:

Tactics is incredible so that's a must have. You can pick up the classics like Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Grandia, Chrono Cross, and of course IX. All of the games have problems(except for IX), but they're all worth playing at least once.

Yeah, I'd definitely suggest Grandia 2, having never played 1 myself. Maybe the WD Lunar games, those are pretty solid titles. Some folks don't care for their casual, gabby, tongue-in-cheek localizations, though.

Maybe Okage if you're looking for another charming game with tons of weird hidden mechanics (if its battle system is unpolished and unfair). Great music in all those titles, too.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Maybe Okage if you're looking for another charming game with tons of weird hidden mechanics (if its battle system is unpolished and unfair). Great music in all those titles, too.

Okage is seriously like the worst game that I wholeheartedly enjoy. It has so so so many problems but it's still somehow incredibly charming. :smith:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

You can also try the Suikoden series. I haven't personally played them, but most goons seem to like them quite a bit.

I like suikoden but its a very different thing than most FF. Your character is a silent protagonist (at least with 1,2 & 5), you aren't saving the world, it drives the point that wars arent a game and that they are horrible, that there really isnt anything (or maybe very little) that could be considered actually evil. That everything really is a conflict of opinions, of whether the ends justify the means.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like suikoden but its a very different thing than most FF. Your character is a silent protagonist (at least with 1,2 & 5), you aren't saving the world, it drives the point that wars arent a game and that they are horrible, that there really isnt anything (or maybe very little) that could be considered actually evil. That everything really is a conflict of opinions, of whether the ends justify the means.

Everything you just mentioned is exactly what makes the series so great. It's like a Japanese Game of Thrones! :)

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Mill Village posted:

You don't consider the long, awkward pauses for certain enemy attacks to be a problem? It really drags some of the random encounters in that game.

You know, I've honestly never heard this complaint about the game until I read it in this thread a few times. I always thought the battle speed was fine, maybe a bit slower than other FF games, but never so slow that I would consider it a negative feature.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

that there really isnt anything (or maybe very little) that could be considered actually evil.
Counterpoint: Luca Blight

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think that's something Suikoden has traditionally tried to achieve, and you usually get several villains saying stuff about how they were just fighting for what they believe in, but rarely do games earn it. Suikoden 5 was particularly egregious about it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

SpazmasterX posted:

This man is a liar.

No, not really. 8 is a pretty bad game, with moments of being fun.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

No, not really. 8 is a pretty bad game, with moments of being fun.

I'd recommend trying it last, among those listed. It has a pretty steep learning curve and the storyline is no 7.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Regarding FF8:

dans posted:

I've never paced back and forth from boredom in a video game before.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I think the idea is that 8 is an acquired taste. I for one love all the settings and music, and the fact that its mechanics are so easily breakable is really fun. Try it for yourself!

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
If you do give Vagrant Story a go, do yourself a huge favor and play with a crafting guide open. The game has a lot going for it but the crafting system, which is absolutely essential to gameplay, is incredibly awkward and fiddly and you really need to know what you're doing to avoid lots of dumb grinding.

The atmosphere, writing, environments are all awesome, but that crafting is just a huge, unintuitive millstone around the game's neck and you'll enjoy Vagrant Story about 1000% more if you don't have to struggle with it.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Last Emperor posted:

I missed out on Xenogears and finally tried to play it again recently but I just could not get into it. I just found myself really uninterested with the whole game, maybe I didn't get far enough? I got to the first 'dungeon' after you exit the city with the mech fighting

I tried damned hard to play through Xenogears because the story and tone interested me, but between the combat, the customization, and the dungeons the actual gameplay is offputting. I'll settle for a Let's Play.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

thoraxfetish.com posted:

I think the idea is that 8 is an acquired taste. I for one love all the settings and music, and the fact that its mechanics are so easily breakable is really fun. Try it for yourself!

The attack on the beach, Edea's parade, the battle of the Gardens, the Lunar Cry, the final dungeon, Seifer. Even if people find the battle system dull, it still has lots of great moments.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Eggie posted:

I tried damned hard to play through Xenogears because the story and tone interested me, but between the combat, the customization, and the dungeons the actual gameplay is offputting. I'll settle for a Let's Play.

xenogears has no logical story and makes zero loving sense. Its more convoluted and muddled then a metal gear solid game.

Krad posted:

The attack on the beach, Edea's parade, the battle of the Gardens, the Lunar Cry, the final dungeon, Seifer. Even if people find the battle system dull, it still has lots of great moments.

FF8 was retarded and you find a random working spaceship and... Actually, all of it is pretty dumb.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Instead of playing Vagrant Story you should just watch an LP of it. And after playing Xenogears again for the first time since my childhood I have a hard time not seeing how terrible the game actually is. I think when I was younger it seemed more awesome because I didn't really keep track of the ridiculous story.

Krad posted:

Absolutely. I have way more memorable sequences where I deliberately set aside saves just to replay them over and over in Final Fantasy 8 than anything else. Would've done it in FF6, too, but only 3 slots and one of those slots was always my "Level 99" slot. The story, as a whole, tried really hard to reach the peak ridiculous that Xenogears, too but never quite got there.

Both games came around during the time when Square's storytelling hubris was at all time highs.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 28, 2012

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Yeah the first time I played 8 I really didn't like it since it was just coming off of the back of 7. Playing it now I think it's aged okay. It's by no means a perfect game but it's still worth playing through once at least. The plot goes pretty out there towards the end but I think it's not too bad through the majority of the game barring the Orphanage stuff.

And yeah, some really great moments/scenes in the game along with some of the most memorable music in the series.

It's a very divisive game, you either really enjoy it or you can't stand it I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the 'selling points' of FF8 is that you can break the game incredibly hard so you never need to fight battles and can unlock the ability to never fight enemies aside from bosses very early on, thus rendering the game nothing but trivial boss battles, card games, and story. If that is appealing to you then hey, there you go. I can't imagine why you'd play FF8 just for the story but people do it.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The selling point is that it's a pretty flashy game and some people really liked the protagonist and storyline.

It's fine that you don't like it, but I'm not really sure why the dislike for it has to turn into animosity or being smug or making poo poo up for many people.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 28, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

One of the 'selling points' of FF8 is that you can break the game incredibly hard so you never need to fight battles and can unlock the ability to never fight enemies aside from bosses very early on, thus rendering the game nothing but trivial boss battles, card games, and story. If that is appealing to you then hey, there you go. I can't imagine why you'd play FF8 just for the story but people do it.

No one in their right mind would throw on Enc-None at the earliest possible moment unless they're doing some sort of gimmick run.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Eggie posted:

You're in luck then. You can find one in the LP Archive by The Dark Id. Very enjoyable.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Captain Backslap posted:

The selling point is that it's a pretty flashy game and some people really liked the protagonist and storyline.

It's fine that you don't like it, but I'm not really sure why the dislike for it has to turn into animosity or being smug or making poo poo up for many people.

People liked the protagonist and storyline? There's absolutely nothing to like about any of it. Disc 1 is tolerable, but after that point you might as well tune every single bit of it out.

It's flashy set piece after flashy set piece with no substance; it's basically Michael Bay the jRPG.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Final Fantasy 8 is a good bad game; it is a failure, but it fails in interesting ways. The story is ambitious but inconsistent, with promising characters who never get a chance to shine, in a setting that goes out of its way to obscure its most creative parts. The gameplay defaults to generic JRPG combat, but there's a far more unique game that's about exploiting the highly abstract systems in order to find ways to avoid and trivialize it.

It's worth playing if you're capable of approaching it with a certain critical distance, enabling the mindset that you are sifting through the ruins of something weird and broken to find the accidental and incomplete gems, all the rarer for their malformed nature. If you take it at face value you will probably not have a positive experience.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Azure_Horizon posted:

People liked the protagonist and storyline? There's absolutely nothing to like about any of it. Disc 1 is tolerable, but after that point you might as well tune every single bit of it out.

It's flashy set piece after flashy set piece with no substance; it's basically Michael Bay the jRPG.

I know man, I thought same. 13 was really terrible like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

No one in their right mind would throw on Enc-None at the earliest possible moment unless they're doing some sort of gimmick run.

Really? I hear it recommended all the time. There's no reason to fight regular enemies at all in the game and gaining levels is actually detrimental in some cases.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I hear it recommended all the time. There's no reason to fight regular enemies at all in the game and gaining levels is actually detrimental in some cases.

If you're a gibbering moron that can't figure out the simplest aspect of the junction system, sure. Even half-assed junctions work fine for the entire game. The "scaled leveling" in the game is nothing but a few milestones that make enemies marginally stronger (access to higher tier spells, slightly better stats, better or rarer drops).

The only time to use Enc-None is during timed segments, especially the Odin sidequest, or if you're doing a lot of running on the world map for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

If you're a gibbering moron that can't figure out the simplest aspect of the junction system, sure. Even half-assed junctions work fine for the entire game. The "scaled leveling" in the game is nothing but a few milestones that make enemies marginally stronger (access to higher tier spells, slightly better stats, better or rarer drops).

The only time to use Enc-None is during timed segments, especially the Odin sidequest, or if you're doing a lot of running on the world map for some reason.

Yes, but you can gain access to all of those things without combat. In fact it is often easier and involves less time invested than random battles would take up, even with the random battles trivialized by semi-competent junctioning. In fact once you get access to Tonberry you can manipulate levels even without gaining a single level should you need/want a certain drop.

AP is the only thing to really be concerned about and Cactaurs trivialize that without any significant level gain, especially due to Squall's innate hit percentage being basically "can't miss."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 29, 2012

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I love Enc-None and used it pretty frequently both times I played FF8. In a game with random encounters, it is fantastic being able to just turn them off entirely once you've gotten all the drops/cards/magic you want from monsters in a location, or if you just want to get through an area, finish a quest, or solve a puzzle and you're sick of being interrupted every 30 seconds.

I also like the characters and enjoyed the story.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, but you can gain access to all of those things without combat. In fact it is often easier and involves less time invested than random battles would take up, even with the random battles trivialized by semi-competent junctioning. In fact once you get access to Tonberry you can manipulate levels even without gaining a single level should you need/want a certain drop.

AP is the only thing to really be concerned about and Cactaurs trivialize that without any significant level gain, especially due to Squall's innate hit percentage being basically "can't miss."

I can't imagine myself having any fun playing like this my first time through, not to mention I'd have no idea how to do half of this stuff.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The scaling also makes most of the bosses easier because as you level, enemies get better spells to Draw and Junction and for some reason bosses cap out while normal enemies don't until 100.

The worst part about playing the game by grinding to 60 on disc 1 and 100 on disc 2, difficulty-wise, is dealing with enemies that cast Level 5 Death. They were real dicks to make the cap 100 instead of 99!

EDIT: And yeah, "good bad game" is the most appropriate description I've ever seen of FF8. It's busted as gently caress and idoitic in a lot of ways but it's also sort of a fascinating trainwreck and legitimately fun to screw around with, and Triple Triad is the best FF minigame as long as you keep the worst rules from spreading.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

I can't imagine myself having any fun playing like this my first time through, not to mention I'd have no idea how to do half of this stuff.

Most of it is pretty self-explanatory actually, it isn't like Lionheart on Disc 1 stuff.

Diablos is easily obtained because Cid gives you the lamp. He is vulnerable to gravity attacks so beating him is trivial since you can draw them from him, and also he is vulnerable to Blind which you can draw earlier on. In fact if he's blinded I'm pretty sure it is almost impossible to die to him thanks to him using Gravity attacks.

Junctioning is as easy as "equip good spell into good slot." Getting a good spell is easy as pie. You play the card game or refine some easily obtained items and you shatter the game without thinking.

Cactaurs are by this point a FF tradition and so going to them to get lots of AP but no experience is pretty easy to puzzle out.

There we go. Everything explained in like two to three sentences each and none of which requires anything more obscure than "find where Cactaurs are" which I believe a NPC hints at anyway.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 29, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Krad posted:

Alternatively, you know what isn't fun? Playing through the game most of us probably did as kids thinking, "You know what would've made this game a lot easier? Equipment" not realizing--because of the hamfisted way it's presented--that Juctioning is equipment.

That's seriously all they had to frame it as, but noooooo. Instead of giving it to you straight, they present Junctioning as this mystical paramagic pseudoscience involving things living in your brain. In the tutorial. That's not good game design, at least from what's comparable to a pedagogical point of view.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 29, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The GIG posted:

I know man, I thought same. 13 was really terrible like that.

There is quite a bit of difference between 8 and 13.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Azure_Horizon posted:

There is quite a bit of difference between 8 and 13.

As much as there can be between a great card game and a great action film, roughly.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The White Dragon posted:

Alternatively, you know what isn't fun? Playing through the game most of us probably did as kids thinking, "You know what would've made this game a lot easier? Equipment" not realizing--because of the hamfisted way it's presented--that Juctioning is equipment.

That's seriously all they had to frame it as, but noooooo. Instead of giving it to you straight, they present Junctioning as this mystical paramagic pseudoscience involving things living in your brain. In the tutorial. That's not good game design, at least from what's comparable to a pedagogical point of view.
Did you really play a chunk of the game without figuring out how to junction? I figured when most of us played it as kids we just screwed around in the menus (pretty easy when anything you can't use is greyed out) until we had a rough idea of how to do that sort of thing.

I can't find a video of the magic-junctioning tutorial, but the GF-junctioning tutorial doesn't go mystical at all. It's extremely straightforward. Between these and five minutes of playing around, it's a pretty simple system to grasp, even for a kid.

Edit: The magic-junctioning tutorial. Same deal.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 29, 2012

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

Counterpoint: Luca Blight

Well the info given in the game you can see him as a pretty evil dude. But in reality he's just as much of a victim of the many conflicts in the continent. He went trough some seriously hosed up things in his early childhood, its easy to see why he went insane.

Really, the only really evil characters we see are Yuber and Neclord. One of them gave us dapper clothing and the other gave us this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Did you really play a chunk of the game without figuring out how to junction? I figured when most of us played it as kids we just screwed around in the menus (pretty easy when anything you can't use is greyed out) until we had a rough idea of how to do that sort of thing.
poo poo, I beat the game without Junctioning. It was the worst thing ever.

I didn't bother dicking around in menus. I just forged my equipment up best I could, slapped on Enc-None to avoid attrition, and hoped for the best.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Aureon posted:

As much as there can be between a great card game and a great action film, roughly.

So... worlds apart. Seriously, though; while 13 has its own bombastic action-packed setpieces that are all crazy and frenetic and hard to keep track of, 8 just does it because its own plot is riddled with logic holes and stupid bullshit that makes no sense. While 13 has its own share of problematic leaps in logic and motivations, its internal logic is pretty sound and the mythology supports it. 8's mythology actively works to counteract the entire point of the game.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Sound logic and 13 being mentioned in the same post is the most hilarious thing I read all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The GIG posted:

Sound logic and 13 being mentioned in the same post is the most hilarious thing I read all day.

It's like hating 13 is a new religion or something, i swear.