Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Dr Mark Kleiman (some drug policy 'expert' from UCLA) has posted this on his blog:

quote:

In my view, an increase of as little as 10% in heavy drinking would wipe out any benefits from cannabis legalization http://www.samefacts.com/2012/12/drug-policy/cannabis-and-alcohol-reprise/

This seems rather disingenuous to me. The primary benefit of cannabis legalisation is that the law becomes more 'just' and people are no longer locked in cages for buying or selling plant matter. I don't see how alcohol consumption can erase this benefit or how he can possibly calculate such a precise figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KingEup posted:

I don't see how alcohol consumption can erase this benefit or how he can possibly calculate such a precise figure.

Yeah, it doesn't necessarily follow that marijuana legalization would increase alcohol consumption. If I could smoke instead of drink, I would switch in a heartbeat. Alcohol is terrible for your body and everyone knows it, but if you want to be inebriated it's the only legal game in town. Even if you don't think there are many people who switch over fully, I think there would be be lots of cases where people substitute a lot of alcohol for weed with a little alcohol as a potency booster.

For what it's worth Kleiman is actually addressing that as a claim someone else made, he doesn't think it automatically follows either.

quote:

But he ignores the opposite possibility, equally plausible in terms of both logic and evidence. If legalizing cannabis (under some specified set of taxes and regulations, including, for example, a ban on lacing beer with cannabinoids) turned out to decrease heavy drinking by 10%, then any “public health case against cannabis legalization” would vanish in – pardon me – a puff of smoke.

Since the benefit-cost analysis of cannabis legalization turns crucially on its effect on heavy drinking, and since that effect is unknown, dogmatic assertions about whether legalization would, on balance, be beneficial or harmful are not justified by the current state of knowledge. (Principled support for legalization on libertarian grounds, or principled opposition to it on cultural-conservative grounds, remain logical possibilities.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 28, 2012

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So he's basically arguing that heavy drinking is a public health menace completely orthogonally to anything to do with cannabis?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dusseldorf posted:

So he's basically arguing that heavy drinking is a public health menace completely orthogonally to anything to do with cannabis?

He's saying that since alcohol use and cannabis use are correlated, the legalization of cannabis could potentially cause an increase in the use of alcohol, and if it does so beyond a certain degree then the benefits of cannabis legalization would be neutralized.

If there's anyone that starts drinking alcohol (or begins to do so more heavily) because they've just started smoking legal marijuana (instead of smoking or not smoking illegal marijuana), then I need to find that person and make a case study of their intoxication psychology. Otherwise this screams "correlation != causation" in my view. Alcohol use and cannabis use are correlated because people who want to intoxicate themselves are likely to use whatever substances are available to them. You could write an exact analogue to his blog post by substituting heroin for alcohol and every one of his points would still be applicable and stupid.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 28, 2012

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dusseldorf posted:

Honestly it would be an enormous, enormous boon to public health if we could convince even a small portion of the people who self-medicate with alcohol to do so with marijuana instead. Just because Prohibition didn't work doesn't change the fact that alcohol is the most destructive drug in America.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Paul MaudDib posted:

For what it's worth Kleiman is actually addressing that as a claim someone else made, he doesn't think it automatically follows either.

Sure, but that's not what I take issue with.

I take issue with the idea that anyone has the knowledge or prescience required (other than the God Emperor himself) to calculate, down to a precise numerical unit, the harm caused buy alcohol and then how many of these 'units' would offset the benefits of ending cannabis prohibition.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 28, 2012

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Later on he tried to get me and my girlfriend to

I am so glad this post did not go where I thought it was going.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eSports Chaebol posted:

Just because Prohibition didn't work doesn't change the fact that alcohol is the most destructive drug in America.

Somebody find that Lancet study and post the main bar-chart figure, if you would. I've lost track of the article and I'd like to know which of the "hard" drugs came in underneath alcohol.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KingEup posted:

Sure, but that's not what I take issue with.

I take issue with the idea that anyone has the knowledge or prescience required (other than the God Emperor himself) to calculate, down to a precise numerical unit, the harm caused buy alcohol and then how many of these 'units' would offset the benefits of ending cannabis prohibition.

Which is exactly what he's saying in the post:

"Since the benefit-cost analysis of cannabis legalization turns crucially on its effect on heavy drinking, and since that effect is unknown, dogmatic assertions about whether legalization would, on balance, be beneficial or harmful are not justified by the current state of knowledge. (Principled support for legalization on libertarian grounds, or principled opposition to it on cultural-conservative grounds, remain logical possibilities.)"

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Space Gopher posted:

"Since the benefit-cost analysis of cannabis legalization turns crucially on its effect on heavy drinking, and since that effect is unknown, dogmatic assertions about whether legalization would, on balance, be beneficial or harmful are not justified by the current state of knowledge. (Principled support for legalization on libertarian grounds, or principled opposition to it on cultural-conservative grounds, remain logical possibilities.)"

Then why the hell does he assert that:

quote:

an increase of as little as 10% in heavy drinking would wipe out any benefits from cannabis legalization

Why should the cost benefit analysis of cannabis legalisation turn crucially on its effect on heavy drinking and not say, heavy eating? After-all, the prevalence of obesity is lower in cannabis users than non users.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 29, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KingEup posted:

Then why the hell does he assert that:

Why should heavy drinking and not say, heavy eating, be factored into a cost benefit analysis of cannabis legalisation? There's evidence that cannabis users weigh less than non users.

We know that there's some correlation between cannabis use and heavy drinking, and we know that heavy drinking causes all sorts of massive social problems. Therefore, it's reasonable to think (at least at first blush) that the alcohol/cannabis connection might be a reasonable thing to think about in a cost/benefit analysis of ending cannabis prohibition.

Kleiman's point, though, is that we don't know the details of that connection. Anyone who says either, "we can't legalize weed, it'd make people drink more and ruin everything!" or, "we have to legalize weed, it'll make people drink less and make everything better!" is making an ideological rather than a data-driven claim. Frum is using Kleiman's article to try to say that the former is supported by research, and Kleiman is refuting him.

As for the 10% number, it's basically a back-of-the-envelope estimate. Kleiman freely admits it's not an exact thing (note the "in my view" disclaimer and talk about how different people might assign other weights and probabilities, and come up with different answers), but the overall conclusion is not "we should base policy on this back-of-the-envelope estimate." Rather, it's more like, "it's not going to end the world, or singlehandedly save it - the best thing to do is let WA and CO do their thing, and see exactly what happens."

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
He's got a PhD in public policy, meaning that he doesn't understand math.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Delta-Wye posted:

The nice thing about it being legalized in Washington and Colorado is that the culture was such it was drat-near legalized already and isn't a huge shift to begin with. I imagine that half or more of that 45% disagreed, but probably not strongly enough to think it would really change much.

Yeah, I think the ultimate answer to the question in the thread title is "nothing really." The reason marijuana should have been legal all this time was always that nothing would really happen if it were, except fewer people pointlessly going to jail.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Space Gopher posted:

As for the 10% number, it's basically a back-of-the-envelope estimate. Kleiman freely admits it's not an exact thing

Not exact? It's freakin' guesswork.

We do not live a science fiction novel where human computers have the ability to make accurate projections based on an limitless number of variables.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 29, 2012

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

KingEup posted:

Not exact? It's freakin' guesswork.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-of-the-envelope_calculation

Yeah. Pretty much. He even admits it.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Did you not see the part about how a back of the envelope calculation is not a guess?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

So why does he even bother?

"Hey guys, I came up with this meaningless figure, check it out!"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Did you not see the part about how a back of the envelope calculation is not a guess?

The way I read it was that it is considered an educated guess. Seeing as he has a PhD in social policy, I'd say that likely makes him qualified to do so.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
In light of the change in policy, Seattle police have relaxed their drug-use policies amongst applicants. Potential cops will not be disqualified for marijuana use before 12 months prior to applying... I imagine other police departments will adopt similar policies or will face a shortage of applicants in a few years.

http://www.seattle.gov/police/jobs/hiring/qualifications.htm for reference

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I think the ultimate answer to the question in the thread title is "nothing really." The reason marijuana should have been legal all this time was always that nothing would really happen if it were, except fewer people pointlessly going to jail.

Marijuana prohibition is such a failure we're already experiencing the worst effects of widespread marijuana use considering a majority of Americans have tried marijuana and millions use it frequently.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mdemone posted:

Somebody find that Lancet study and post the main bar-chart figure, if you would. I've lost track of the article and I'd like to know which of the "hard" drugs came in underneath alcohol.
There's actually been a couple that I'm aware of. The first one I know of was published in 2007 and gave rise to this BBC graphic simply titled "Most harmful drugs" (the colours represent the UK classification of each drug at the time)
Source

And a paper in 2010 included "Drugs ranked by 'harm to users' and 'harm to others'

...and "Drugs ranked by overall harm"
Source

Sorry I don't have links to the actual papers handy but I'm typing this on my phone and frankly this is as much hunting, copying and pasting as I'm willing to do right now ;)

TACD fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 29, 2012

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

TACD posted:

graphs

So I know the backstory behind why cannabis was made illegal, but when and why were magic mushrooms made illegal?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Good ol shrooms, no effects besides trippin out some hippies. :lsd:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Lacrosse posted:

So I know the backstory behind why cannabis was made illegal, but when and why were magic mushrooms made illegal?

Create a bureaucracy that bans stuff and it just keeps banning stuff.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

KingEup posted:

For a very recent and ongoing example, see Salvia.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Space Gopher posted:

I take great exception to the idea that "the benefit-cost analysis of cannabis legalization turns crucially on its effect on heavy drinking". I think it is nanny-state nonsense.

KingEup posted:

I don't dispute this, but if you look at the social backdrop to the institution of the CSA, there was broad public support for it because affluent blocks of society were terrified by the counter-culture movement and the drugs that came with it. While I believe both should be legal to consenting adults, I believe that mushrooms are more 'dangerous' than pot, both in terms of the severity of adverse reactions, and in terms of the ability of the drug to disrupt accepted social norms.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

spengler posted:

I take great exception to the idea that "the benefit-cost analysis of cannabis legalization turns crucially on its effect on heavy drinking". I think it is nanny-state nonsense.

That is a non-sequitur. Even if you believe that the state should be minimally involved in people's lives, and therefore account the cost of even minor restrictions on liberty as extraordinarily high, such costs are nonetheless clearly not infinite; otherwise there'd be no difference in the affront the liberty posed by regulation and summary execution! As such, you can measure costs and benefits even if you don't believe that cost-benefit analysis is a legitimate basis for policy. So even if you believe that a cost-benefit analysis of legalization is immaterial to whether or not marijuana should be legalized, that doesn't mean that the cost-benefit analysis of cannibis legalization doesn't turn crucially on its effect on heavy drinking.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

spengler posted:

The decision to legalize or prohibit marijuana use is a social policy decision, with costs and benefits to society. It's perfectly reasonable to look at the data we have now, and try to figure out possible costs and benefits before we make any changes to the status quo.

But, it sounds like you're making the argument for "principled support for legalization on libertarian grounds." Which, you'll notice, Kleiman explicitly says is a logically valid argument. It's just one that's outside his professional consideration, because he's a public policy analyst rather than a political philosopher.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, people smoke cigs while they drink, why don't we make them illegal again? No, legalizing marijuana is simply the right thing to do and I reject anything less than that. I really hate that even with legalizing weed people want to talk about how much money it will save instead of the very real human cost of people being sent to prison, being killed in the drug war, or being denied their medicine. How it effects heavy drinking is - or should be - completely, utterly irrelevant, even if(and it will be) it is good for the cause.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lacrosse posted:

To a majority of people, 'drug use' is a Bad Thing in and of itself and reducing it is therefore always a noble aim. There used to be a loophole in British law where mushrooms were illegal to sell dried / prepared (i.e. for consumption), but could be freely sold if they were wet / fresh. So despite the lack of any actual harm coming from the sale and consumption of fresh mushrooms, closing the loophole was seen as a 'good thing' for the government to do. The law went into effect in July 2005 but I don't remember when it was first written or anything.

(I was actually at a music festival when the law came into effect, so every stall selling mushrooms had a huge, blow-out "this poo poo is illegal at midnight" sale that evening. It was awesome.)

Perversely, the law as written applied only to psylocibin mushrooms, and did not apply to fly agaric mushrooms - the one species that actually can cause serious harm. This is because it contains muscimol and not psylocibin. Naturally, most headshops and stalls that used to sell harmless magic mushrooms therefore ended up selling the much more dangerous fly agaric mushrooms to their customers as a result.*

If you ever want a single story that captures how drug policy is rear end-backwards, and is fear-based rather than fact-based, I think that sums it all up quite neatly. Whenever I find myself talking to somebody who thinks drugs are bad because they're illegal or vice versa it's fun to point out that magic mushrooms went from being entirely legal to as bad as heroin or crack cocaine literally overnight.

* I haven't found any figures that state whether or not harm from mushroom consumption went up after the ban due to this, but I'd be interested to find out if anybody knows. Truthfully I don't know if fly agaric is still legal in the UK because I've never been interested in taking any.

spengler posted:

I believe that mushrooms are more 'dangerous' than pot, both in terms of the severity of adverse reactions, and in terms of the ability of the drug to disrupt accepted social norms.
Sorry buddy but I just posted the summarised results of a scientific study which states otherwise. If there are other similar studies out there I would love to know about them.

TACD fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 29, 2012

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Thanks for those papers, TACD. Exactly what I was looking for, and the later studies were new to me as well. Interesting, if not totally surprising, to consider that a reasonable scientific assessment finds that alcohol is the most dangerous drug of all.

Diogenes Ex
Feb 4, 2011

by T. Finninho

spengler posted:

I don't dispute this, but if you look at the social backdrop to the institution of the CSA, there was broad public support for it because affluent blocks of society were terrified by the counter-culture movement and the drugs that came with it. While I believe both should be legal to consenting adults, I believe that mushrooms are more 'dangerous' than pot, both in terms of the severity of adverse reactions, and in terms of the ability of the drug to disrupt accepted social norms.

Banning something because it "disrupts accepted social norms" is one of the most fascist and insidious things I've heard in a bit.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

eSports Chaebol posted:

you can measure costs and benefits even if you don't believe that cost-benefit analysis is a legitimate basis for policy.

True. The tobacco companies once argued that premature death was a desirable thing because it was cheaper than providing healthcare. I believe there's some evidence that criminalising truancy makes sense from a cost benefit perspective too.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mdemone posted:

Thanks for those papers, TACD. Exactly what I was looking for, and the later studies were new to me as well. Interesting, if not totally surprising, to consider that a reasonable scientific assessment finds that alcohol is the most dangerous drug of all.
No problem. I also snagged the actual papers today if anybody wants to download them.

Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse (2007 paper)

Drug harms in the UK: a multicriteria decision analysis (2010 paper)

And as another side note, the lead author on both papers (David Nutt) lost his job as chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs as an eventual result of the 2007 paper. Facts that contradict the prevailing opinion are simply not welcomed in this debate.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

eSports Chaebol posted:

That is a non-sequitur. Even if you believe that the state should be minimally involved in people's lives, and therefore account the cost of even minor restrictions on liberty as extraordinarily high, such costs are nonetheless clearly not infinite; otherwise there'd be no difference in the affront the liberty posed by regulation and summary execution! As such, you can measure costs and benefits even if you don't believe that cost-benefit analysis is a legitimate basis for policy. So even if you believe that a cost-benefit analysis of legalization is immaterial to whether or not marijuana should be legalized, that doesn't mean that the cost-benefit analysis of cannibis legalization doesn't turn crucially on its effect on heavy drinking.

My point was that I believe there are other more crucial factors to such a cost-benefit analysis than the effect on heavy drinking (including but not limited to the effect on incarceration rates, economic effects, etc). Deciding to base such an analysis purely on health effects based on use of another substance seems like a subjective decision to me, and it's not one I agree with.

TACD posted:

If there are other similar studies out there I would love to know about them.
Nope, I was speaking from a purely anecdotal and personal viewpoint. Adverse reactions to mushrooms were more subjectively unpleasant to me than adverse reactions to marijuana, and mushrooms made me challenge accepted social norms to a greater degree than marijuana. I don't think either drug is dangerous enough to warrant prohibition, but I can appreciate that someone could rationally endorse marijuana legalization but still support the criminalization of psychedelics.

Thanks for the studies, they are interesting.

Diogenes Ex posted:

Banning something because it "disrupts accepted social norms" is one of the most fascist and insidious things I've heard in a bit.
Well, yes, but it was a major factor in the banning of hallucinogens in the context of the CSA against the backdrop of 60's counterculture. Anslinger and his cohorts were fascists.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

spengler posted:

My point was that I believe there are other more crucial factors to such a cost-benefit analysis than the effect on heavy drinking (including but not limited to the effect on incarceration rates, economic effects, etc). Deciding to base such an analysis purely on health effects based on use of another substance seems like a subjective decision to me, and it's not one I agree with.

I think you're misunderstanding the timeline of the argument.

Kleiman put up a blog post, talking about unanswered questions surrounding marijuana legalization. One of them was, pretty much, "we know there's some kind of link between weed and alcohol; we don't know exactly how legalizing weed might change things, but it's worth keeping an eye on because we know just how damaging alcohol abuse can be." Noted conservative jackass David Frum took that blog post and ran with it, saying something to the effect of, "Social scientist Mark Kleiman says that legalizing marijuana would destroy society by making everyone drink more." The linked post is Kleiman's rebuttal to Frum, where Kleiman uses polite language to say, "David Frum is wrong, and lying about my work."

The 10% number would represent a massive spike in heavy drinking. Kleiman is admitting that there is a theoretical point where, if marijuana legalization caused a huge spike in drinking, it might not come out positive in a cost/benefit analysis. That's not a particularly controversial statement, because there's a well-established causal link between heavy drinking and all kinds of social ills (including incarceration, domestic violence, DUIs, acute alcohol poisoning, cirrhosis, homelessness... there's a reason alcohol tops those charts posted earlier). If there was a similarly clear link between marijuana legalization and increased heavy drinking, it'd be hard to justify legalization on anything but ideological grounds.

But - and here's the important part, which Kleiman is trying to point out in the post - that link between marijuana legalization and increased alcohol abuse, where Frum has based his argument, doesn't necessarily exist. We don't have any data on it. It's just as likely that legalization would lead to a massive decrease in alcohol abuse, which would make legalization an incredible win from a cost-benefit standpoint on that basis alone. Or, more likely, it'll have a smaller but still unpredictable effect. In any case, it's not reasonable to use the effect of marijuana legalization on drinking as the basis for social policy - which is the argument many posters in this thread have been making, and the argument Kleiman is making.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spengler posted:

I don't think either drug is dangerous enough to warrant prohibition, but I can appreciate that someone could rationally endorse marijuana legalization but still support the criminalization of psychedelics.

No, there is no rational or sane way to defend criminalization of any drug. Control, sure, but throwing people in jail for possession of personal amounts of recreational drugs with little to no dangers associated with their use will never be acceptable.

There might be consequences for supplying harmful substances without proper warning, it might disqualify you from insurance coverage if you irresponsibly ruin your body, but jail? No.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Warchicken posted:

No, there is no rational or sane way to defend criminalization of any drug. Control, sure, but throwing people in jail for possession of personal amounts of recreational drugs with little to no dangers associated with their use will never be acceptable.

You just contradicted yourself. You say you can't criminalize any drug then immediately turn around and add a "little to no danger" requirement. Which is it?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Install Gentoo posted:

You just contradicted yourself. You say you can't criminalize any drug then immediately turn around and add a "little to no danger" requirement. Which is it?

There obviously has to be a line drawn somewhere about what people can have - that is, having things like poisons and huge quantities of controlled substances. But personal amounts of recreational drugs should never be illegal, though there may be other unavoidable consequences of use, and those consequences will have to be codified somehow. But jail time? No. I guess I did word that stupidly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Warchicken posted:

There might be consequences for supplying harmful substances without proper warning, it might disqualify you from insurance coverage if you irresponsibly ruin your body, but jail? No.

Even that's a bad idea because the overall societal harm from people with untreated medical needs is worse.

• Locked thread