Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I know that when I have children I certainly want them to grow up in a world run by right-wing, conservative/neoliberal types.

Imagine how great it would be for them to have zero privacy, be completely unable to learn things in school that aren't directly related to getting jobs, taught be completely intolerant and distrustful of everybody, accept today's perverse bastardisation of Christianity as the One True Religion, to have no understanding of their own sexuality, to suffer entirely preventable and treatable illnesses because I can't afford their healthcare, prepare to be arrested and imprisoned for saying mean things on the Internet and to rack up massive amounts of debt before they even set foot in the workplace.

Then when they're old enough to work they can have all the joy of working for longer hours for lower pay and no benefits, and enjoying the freedom of being able to be sacked any time someone above them feels like it. That's if they can get a job. According to Our Glorious Leader David Cameron, young people should be prepared to live with mum and dad for longer so they can save money but simultaneously need to be looking for work further from home (despite transport being unfeasibly expensive).

And through all of these things they can learn to hate any of their fellow humans that happen to be disabled/gay/an immigrant/a muslim/on welfare/a single parent or whatever the scapegoat of the month is. Because it's obviously those people that are responsible for their present situation; it couldn't be the fault of those perfect 'Wealth Creators'.

I'm clearly just too stupid and naive to not want all this glorious Freedom right now, while I don't have children.

Yes, but, all the black peoplecriminals will be in jail so my child can grow up free from the fear of getting mugged in our middle class, entirely white cul-de-sac. Checkmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nenonen posted:

According to a British study, becoming a father to a daughter turns your views more liberal than if you had a son.

So it seems like there is a connection between political outlook and parenthood - how and why, we don't know, but just having children doesn't automatically turn you into an rear end in a top hat.

I wonder if this is related to women being more left wing than men, on average.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Orange Devil posted:

I wonder if this is related to women being more left wing than men, on average.

I would argue it's more likely to be related to the inherent misogyny in conservative philosophy, where some attitudes ("No abortion", "No birth control" etc) are changed based on conflicting evidence in a moment of introspection rather than the usual doubling down ("My girl needed an abortion and she's not a horrible irresponsible spawn of satan and her best friend who is the nicest, whitest girl I know uses birth control! Maybe not everyone who uses these things should be put up against a wall and shot").

Since conservative philosophy doesn't limit males in such obvious ways, it's possible to argue that such an effect would be lesser for male children than female ones.

Still, I wonder if anyone has done any research on the underlying factors at play?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
The usual Facebook macro format

"This year will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" - Hitler 1935.

Me: So guns shouldn't have to be registered just because Hitler also did it?

Him: DMS666 I'm not arguing with you on Facebook anymore. You always play naive to the things going on. You and I both know you are much smarter than this... Act like it.

Me: What am I playing naive to? I just asked for an explanation about what I found out was a fake quote from Hitler about guns having to be registered. I'm not trying to argue, it just didnt make any sense to me, which is why I asked a question about it.

He is a big fan of posting fake image macros, mostly anything anti-Obama. One of the better ones was him defending the "All This for a drat Flag" Obama video to be 100% indisputable lip reading.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

dms666 posted:

"This year will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" - Hitler 1935.

Me: So guns shouldn't have to be registered just because Hitler also did it?

Him: DMS666 I'm not arguing with you on Facebook anymore. You always play naive to the things going on. You and I both know you are much smarter than this... Act like it.

Me: What am I playing naive to? I just asked for an explanation about what I found out was a fake quote from Hitler about guns having to be registered. I'm not trying to argue, it just didnt make any sense to me, which is why I asked a question about it.

He is a big fan of posting fake image macros, mostly anything anti-Obama. One of the better ones was him defending the "All This for a drat Flag" Obama video to be 100% indisputable lip reading.

Hitler's gun law was passed in 1938. It lowered the restrictions of gun ownership compared to the Weimar Republic's gun law from 1928 and only applied to handguns. It's not just a made up quote, it's a made up quote about something that never happened. Here's a good article I found through a citation on Wikipedia: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/files/harcourt_fordham.pdf It even directly addresses that quote(SHOCKER: It's a fraudulent quote).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
E: f,b

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1791/did-hitler-ban-gun-ownership

Oh well, this is another source, and quotes a pro-gun cite during the explanation that might be more palatable to a close-minded weirdo. Maybe. It's not like things like evidence actually matter to people like that :smith:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

E: f,b

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1791/did-hitler-ban-gun-ownership

Oh well, this is another source, and quotes a pro-gun cite during the explanation that might be more palatable to a close-minded weirdo. Maybe. It's not like things like evidence actually matter to people like that :smith:

The source I posted does too. The translation of the laws it used was published in a book that argued that Nazis increased gun control. :v:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Nenonen posted:

According to a British study, becoming a father to a daughter turns your views more liberal than if you had a son.

So it seems like there is a connection between political outlook and parenthood - how and why, we don't know, but just having children doesn't automatically turn you into an rear end in a top hat.

A women's traits should have nothing to do with whether or not she had a boy or girl because females do not determine the sex of the child. You would think a biologist would know this.

Men however, can produce larger numbers of X or Y sperm: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/boy-or-girl-it-s-in-the-father-s-genes

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They might miscarry boys and girls and different rates.

Here are two conflicting studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3150206/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3565477

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

dms666 posted:

Nazis had traffic laws, too. That's why I ignore them and run stop signs all the time. This is AMERIKA not Hitler Germany!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I'm so glad it's budget season again and my Facebook gets filled with stupid "imagine the US budget is a household budget..." crap.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'm so glad it's budget season again and my Facebook gets filled with stupid "imagine the US budget is a household budget..." crap.

Well, he already got his math wrong on his bullshit household common sense huurdget :downs:

Probably on purpose, but that's idiots for you.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My house is full of poo poo because I have a mortgage.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

quote:

"Dear President Obama,

My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year. People meeting me for the first time don’t believe my age because I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.

I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos’n Mate. Now I live in a “rest home” located on the western end of Pearl Harbor , allowing me to keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.

One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.

So here goes.

I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.

I can’t figure out what country you are the president of.
You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies like:

” We’re no longer a Christian nation”
” America is arrogant”

– (Your wife even
announced to the world,” America is mean-spirited. ” Please tell her to try preaching that nonsense to 23 generations of our
war dead buried all over the globe who died for no other reason than to free a whole lot of strangers from tyranny and hopelessness.)

I’d say shame on the both of you, but I don’t think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House.

After 9/11 you said,” America hasn’t lived up to her ideals.”

Which ones did you mean? Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British? Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War? I hope you didn’t mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom.

I don’t think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people understood when they helped to get you elected.

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man.

Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don’t, I’ll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue . You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don’t want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts , who was putting up a fight? You don’t mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don’t want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you’re the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you’re not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you’re thinking of.

You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president.
You’re not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That’s not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight now.
And I sure as hell don’t want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle…

Sincerely,
Harold B. Estes

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mentally alert, huh?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

'Angry Old Man Letter'

We're a Christian nation? That is news to me? You figure a veteran of World War 2 would have noticed the transition to the addition of 'Under God' to the pledge of Allegiance in 1951, or how most of the 'In God We Trust' stuff wasn't really settled until 1951 as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pledge_of_Allegiance

I wonder if he remember E Plurubus Unum?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

We're a Christian nation? That is news to me? You figure a veteran of World War 2 would have noticed the transition to the addition of 'Under God' to the pledge of Allegiance in 1951, or how most of the 'In God We Trust' stuff wasn't really settled until 1951 as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pledge_of_Allegiance

I wonder if he remember E Plurubus Unum?

The Treaty of Tripoli

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dear Obama, I'm a hot old man, here's why you suck.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

quote:

You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

Well, I agree with him on this one, but unfortunately we're talking about different people.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Soviet Commubot posted:

I don't know about the creator of this notice but I think if I were in that family's position increasing income seems like a better solution to my debt woes than kicking out grandma, no longer buying medicine and food for the kids, and turning off the heat to the house during the winter. We could also spend less of our household budget on a massive armament of weapons intended for use on our neighbors.

Not that it matters; if we had a household budget with the current interest rate the U.S. gets on debt it takes on I'd be more than happy to borrow enough to ensure the kids go to college, grandma keeps a nice place to live, we renovate our electrical system to reduce future waste from inefficient wiring and install some renewable sources to use while resurfacing the driveway and setup a fund to make sure our whole family is covered in case of a medical emergency. You know, things that would ostensibly secure our household's place in the present and future as a safe, strong, healthy, productive and wealthy. Then when the economy picks up we can improve our household income to cover the expenses without any real issue.

Or I guess we could try the first set of things and when grandma dies in the streets and the kids are working in a factory then we'll have enough money for just dad to take a vacation. :toot:

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Text of angry old man letter

Apparently, the old man in question actually did write the letter in question: http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/haroldestes.asp

Here's the full Obama quote:

U.S. President Barack Obama posted:

Whatever we once were, we are no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers.

Here's what gets me: if conservatives get to call America sinful, why don't liberals get to call America arrogant? Or is this just one of those things that when conservatives do it it's good, when liberals do it it's bad?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

This one showed up on my Facebook, accompanied by a scary photo of the president and first lady, with the macro "OBAMA AND MICHELLE GET OWNED BY VETERAN". And it added "I think this Veteran deserves our time to read this letter to President Barack Obama. OH! Wait! And before the liberals say this is a fake, even your favorite "fact checkers" Snopes has posted this to be true. Check it out...
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/haroldestes.asp"

Love the quotes around fact checkers, and the fact that the Snopes article only says that the old man probably wrote the letter. It doesn't address any of the made-up crap contained within the letter. Plus, it was written at the very start of Obama's term. The idea that people still convince themselves that Obama is anti-military after the last 4 years just doesn't compute.

Of course, then there's my Marine cousin who posted a picture of himself wearing a
One
Big
rear end
Mistake
America

tshirt while serving active duty. I surely don't think Obama did anything to him personally while he served. I just don't get it.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
An oldie but the photo really makes it

quote:

Bill Gates recently gave a Commencement speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes; learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

If you agree, pass it on.
If you can read this - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a soldier!!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Soviet Commubot posted:

I wonder if the person who wrote this has any idea what the Fiscal Cliff is, since it's made to drastically cut the deficit.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Defenestration posted:

I get that this is pretty old (only vice presidents get car phones!) but wow, that speech is so condescending that I'm sure it's as fake as the accompanying picture. I know there are some teenagers that need to learn a few life lessons, but most of them are not living in a world where "Daddy didn't buy me a new BMW this year" is their biggest problem. Pretty much everyone I knew as a teenager had it figured out that bosses can be mean and jobs don't have summer breaks. Because we all had jobs, all year round.

The one about how everyone on TV hangs out in coffee shops instead of working is getting weird. Friends was the biggest offender, and it hasn't had new episodes in over a decade. Most popular sitcoms these days are about people at work. I get that Parks and Recreation isn't always realistic, but at least they're at the office from 9-5.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Defenestration posted:

I've done a line-by-line refutation of this, but it's mostly hateful vitriol from a fed-up liberal, rather than the usual tactic of "I'm sorry you feel that way, I hope you live a happy life even if you hate me." responses that actually work

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Leospeare posted:

I get that this is pretty old (only vice presidents get car phones!) but wow, that speech is so condescending that I'm sure it's as fake as the accompanying picture. I know there are some teenagers that need to learn a few life lessons, but most of them are not living in a world where "Daddy didn't buy me a new BMW this year" is their biggest problem. Pretty much everyone I knew as a teenager had it figured out that bosses can be mean and jobs don't have summer breaks. Because we all had jobs, all year round.

The one about how everyone on TV hangs out in coffee shops instead of working is getting weird. Friends was the biggest offender, and it hasn't had new episodes in over a decade. Most popular sitcoms these days are about people at work. I get that Parks and Recreation isn't always realistic, but at least they're at the office from 9-5.

I was actually just talking about how shows like Happy Endings and How I Met Your Mother depict characters who spend a really large amount of time hanging out with their friends at bars/restaurants/doing fun things. My friends and I don't even have kids, and we don't have time to just hang at a bar every two weeks. I certainly wish we did.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I was actually just talking about how shows like Happy Endings and How I Met Your Mother depict characters who spend a really large amount of time hanging out with their friends at bars/restaurants/doing fun things. My friends and I don't even have kids, and we don't have time to just hang at a bar every two weeks. I certainly wish we did.

That's like how Al Bundy went from being a guy to look down upon to a guy to look up at.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Tharizdun posted:

I've done a line-by-line refutation of this, but it's mostly hateful vitriol from a fed-up liberal, rather than the usual tactic of "I'm sorry you feel that way, I hope you live a happy life even if you hate me." responses that actually work

That's not really a refutation, I wouldn't show that to anyone whose mind you hope to change.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Soviet Commubot posted:

I think a much more apt analogy for the debt-ceiling issue would be if you decided that when one of your credit cards reached their limit, you were just going to stop paying all your debtors, utility bills, buying food, etc.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Sarion posted:

I think a much more apt analogy for the debt-ceiling issue would be if you decided that when one of your credit cards reached their limit, you were just going to stop paying all your debtors, utility bills, buying food, etc.

While continuing to buy sports cars and assault rifles.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

This one pisses me off.
It's so frustrating to hear someone whine about how unemployed people think they're too good to work in fast food. But then when those fast food workers try to unionize they argue that if you're an adult and you're working in fast food then you've probably made some really bad life choices and should look in a mirror to find the real source of your problems in life.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sarion posted:

Or point out that if you have no real limit on your credit card and your interest rate is near-zero you'd be stupid to not spend it. It's literally cheaper than doing nothing.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2012/12/20/is-president-obama-really-a-socialist-lets-analyze-obamanomics/

quote:

Any normal person would say that such an income tax system is more than fair, or maybe that “the rich” pay more than their fair share. So why does President Obama keep saying that the rich do not pay their fair share? Is he ignorant? Wouldn’t somebody in his Administration whisper to him that he is peddling nonsense?

The answer is that to President Obama this is still not fair because he is a Marxist.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

The irony is

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Taerkar posted:

Or point out that if you have no real limit on your credit card and your interest rate is near-zero you'd be stupid to not spend it. It's literally cheaper than doing nothing.
Yeah no kidding, if I could borrow at rates below inflation you bet your rear end I'd borrow everything I possibly could and then some.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This one pisses me off.
It's so frustrating to hear someone whine about how unemployed people think they're too good to work in fast food. But then when those fast food workers try to unionize they argue that if you're an adult and you're working in fast food then you've probably made some really bad life choices and should look in a mirror to find the real source of your problems in life.
Not to mention just GETTING a job flipping burgers. I was out of work a couple of times in the past few years, and I applied to every single fast food place, dollar store, and gas station in my small town, and not a single response.

When there are a lot of people looking for work, companies like that don't want to hire the older person with experience in other fields, because they're going to be looking elsewhere and leave as soon as a better job offer comes along.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

the article posted:

Moreover, the official data, as reported by CBO and the IRS, show that the bottom 40% of income earners, instead of paying some income taxes to support the federal government, were paid cash by the IRS equal to 10% of federal income taxes as a group on net.
What kills me about arguments like this is that of course some people are going to receive more in benefits than they pay in taxes. If we never provided benefits to anyone, why the hell would we levy taxes in the first place? Where exactly do people think tax money goes, just into some hole never to be seen again?

e:

quote:

To a Marxist, the fact that the top 1% earn more income than the bottom 99% is not fair, no matter how they earn it, fairly or not.
If we're talking about the top 1% combined making more than the bottom 99% combined, then yes, that's a pretty big load of horseshit. Apparently having common sense is Marxism now.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 29, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

That's like how Al Bundy went from being a guy to look down upon to a guy to look up at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem
So I shouldn't tell that one guy on my FB feed who's been incessantly bragging about his post-Newtown gun and ammo purchases that I hope his 3-year-old accidentally shoots herself with his new "super cool" Bushmaster?