Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Went for a shakedown ride and had the shift linkage fall apart just as I rolled into the street again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

High Protein posted:

Went for a shakedown ride and had the shift linkage fall apart just as I rolled into the street again.

There are definitely worse things that could fall apart on a shakedown ride.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah it wasn't too bad, the bolt that backed out was still hanging from the linkage so I just used the clutch to get to a safe spot in 4th gear and then fixed it. Anyway, I need to find some rubbers to protect the linkage joints from the elements, bike isn't supposed to have them, but there's probably something that works off another bike.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I enjoyed the nice winter Phoenix weather (after moving down from Idaho where it didn't get above freezing some days, yeah) and did a top-end refresh: head gasket, valve stem seals, valve adjustment, etc. I also painted the exhaust and head. I was also going to pull the cylinders and paint them, but I don't have a proper ring tool and I'm too :effort: to use pipe clamps.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/CUOn4

Still need to attack it with a dremel and get the old airbox off.

I am bad at tool organization during a project.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 25, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
hosed up the kickstarter, apparently :smith:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Decided to take it for a proper Christmas shakedown in a large empty park near my house. Found out that speedhumps designed to restrict traffic to >15mph are hilariously good fun at 30-50, also found out that the bolts on the passenger grab-handle that I'd meant to get round to should really have been gotten round to. Oops.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Now I've never worked in an i4 bike or something with a larger V angle so maybe those are worse, but the huge beam frame these bikes have makes working on them pretty lovely.

After rotating the engine on a '07 Uly, I'm not so concerned with getting at the engine through the frame. It seems like a pretty big feat, but it's just a list of little things and suddenly you have the engine rotated out. We kept the bike upright with a couple harbor freight wheel chocks bolted to a steel door, which we thought was appropriately redneck.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I find it easier on Japanese i4s to put the entire bike on its side and unbolt the engine from there, then lift the bike itself away from the [now laying on the ground] engine. Seems easier than hoofing it out by hand while standing.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I tested the right handlebar switch gear I got from Europe today.

I've not added both right and left handlebars from the European MK2 Bandit.

The left switch added a flash to pass button.

The right added manual headlight switch on the right. It has three settings. Off, marker, headlight. Since I have a North American reflector, I don't have the marker light for the front. So the marker setting just lights up the tail light and dash.

Neat to just plug in a new switch to add functionality to your motorcycle.

I intend to use this to eek out a bit more life out of my high powered headlight bulb. (Which is known to have a shorter lifespan) I can now leave the light off while warming/gearing up.

(I found it annoying that those switches were just blanked off for the NA market. I can understand leaving the headlight switch off for DRLs and such, but why leave the flash to pass off?)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Ziploc posted:

I tested the right handlebar switch gear I got from Europe today.

I've not added both right and left handlebars from the European MK2 Bandit.

The left switch added a flash to pass button.

The right added manual headlight switch on the right. It has three settings. Off, marker, headlight. Since I have a North American reflector, I don't have the marker light for the front. So the marker setting just lights up the tail light and dash.

Neat to just plug in a new switch to add functionality to your motorcycle.

I intend to use this to eek out a bit more life out of my high powered headlight bulb. (Which is known to have a shorter lifespan) I can now leave the light off while warming/gearing up.

(I found it annoying that those switches were just blanked off for the NA market. I can understand leaving the headlight switch off for DRLs and such, but why leave the flash to pass off?)

Wouldn't the shorter life be due to a thinner filament which burns brighter but is more susceptible to vibration? I'd imagine any gain you make by leaving the light off while gearing up would surely be minimal compared to the reduction in lifespan the bumps and vibes of riding would cause.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Wouldn't the shorter life be due to a thinner filament which burns brighter but is more susceptible to vibration? I'd imagine any gain you make by leaving the light off while gearing up would surely be minimal compared to the reduction in lifespan the bumps and vibes of riding would cause.

Maybe. But for 20$ I'll take the added functionality.

(Now I can run from the cops with no lights on. :ninja: )

NOT EVEN INTERESTED IN DOING THAT.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also, being able to turn off the headlight while the bike is idling and warming up can be the difference between a dead battery and a working one.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Ziploc posted:

Maybe. But for 20$ I'll take the added functionality.

(Now I can run from the cops with no lights on. :ninja: )

NOT EVEN INTERESTED IN DOING THAT.

Be sure to hook it up to something like this too.

http://youtu.be/CTAC1wXYqZk?t=2m37s

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

I find it easier on Japanese i4s to put the entire bike on its side and unbolt the engine from there, then lift the bike itself away from the [now laying on the ground] engine. Seems easier than hoofing it out by hand while standing.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
loving brilliant. So using that trick the next time I have to drop an engine.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
How is the cross member attached to the jacks?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Spent all goddamn day at the DMV, but I finally nutted up and got the Ninjette salvage titled. Got the brake and light done yesterday after riding it to a shop a block up the street :siren:~*illegally*~:siren: (expired reg), then today went to the DMV. I forgot the title for trip #1 (took the car), so I got a temp tag and brought the title back with the bike for the VIN verification. The guy couldn't find an emissions sticker and was giving me a hard time even while I pointed to the loving charcoal canister and three nipples on the back of the tank trying to explain that it was a CA model and had always been registered here.

I hate the DMV. No wonder I put that off for so long. Feels great to ride again though.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 29, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I either blew both rear blinkers or have a failing relay. They are both flashing rapidly up front with no lights in back. Both have been working fine. Any bets as to what I broke this time?

I want to replace the standard blinkers with LED's. Are all relays the same or are they bike specific?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I either blew both rear blinkers or have a failing relay. They are both flashing rapidly up front with no lights in back. Both have been working fine. Any bets as to what I broke this time?

I want to replace the standard blinkers with LED's. Are all relays the same or are they bike specific?

They are all broadly similar, if you know even a little bit about wiring you should be able to make a relay with the same general design work just fine. You shouldn't have any problems with LED rear blinkers provided you use ballast resistors.

I've seen one blown bulb cause another to fail in the same system, but never on blinkers. Just check the bulbs and see, stranger things have happened.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Backov posted:

How is the cross member attached to the jacks?

gravity.
In that picture, you move the bike not the jacks.
When I did it, I used milk crates instead of jacks and put a board across the top of them.
Then I put the bike on the centerstand, put a board on the ground between the crates, and pushed one of the milk crates (which pushed on the board, and subsequently the other milk crate) and the motor slid right out.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Old, tired hotness ditched for a younger model.

Rebuilt and resprung Sachs shock has just gone back into the Tuono in place of a slightly tired RSV Ohlins.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Just found out my buddy has a set up to powdercoat stuff. Looks like I'll be taking off a bunch of stuff so he can black out all the grey from the triples and pegs.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Finished my 1955 USB adapter.

Bolted a little heat sink on the IC, put it in a box with a lot of holes.

Fits great in the headlight shell. Even some space left over.

Didn't wanna drain the system all the time, cause the 60W generator isn't all that beefy even for stock usage, so I added a vintage on/off switch. So no one will be able to tell I've got modern accessories on my vintage bike. Impossible to tell.

See? Can't tell at all.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

the drz flasher relay is integrated with the sidestand safety relay , so you'll probably need a specific relay or do a bit of bodging to get a generic one to work.

Cheap LED indicators don't last pissing time on the drz in my experience, i went back to the stock ones, they're really well damped from vibrations and can take an impact without breaking off the bike.

it being a suzuki though it probably uses the same relay as half the model range so i doubt it'd be hard to find/expensive

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

echomadman posted:

the drz flasher relay is integrated with the sidestand safety relay , so you'll probably need a specific relay or do a bit of bodging to get a generic one to work.

Cheap LED indicators don't last pissing time on the drz in my experience, i went back to the stock ones, they're really well damped from vibrations and can take an impact without breaking off the bike.

it being a suzuki though it probably uses the same relay as half the model range so i doubt it'd be hard to find/expensive

I found some led flashers with built in resistors, went ahead and installed them. I'll see how they work out.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Just found out my buddy has a set up to powdercoat stuff. Looks like I'll be taking off a bunch of stuff so he can black out all the grey from the triples and pegs.

I'm interested to hear more about this, I powder coated for about 5 years, and while I would never do it for a living again, I plan on having my own system in my garage someday. I know Harbor Freight sells powder guns, and possibly even ovens, but I'm not exactly confident in their ability. A decent gun costs anywhere from $2000-5000 in a commercial setting, and I think the HF comes in at less than $100. They also have all sorts of different settings for spray density, voltage, air flow, powder-over-powder specific settings, etc. I'm still kicking myself for not going to the auction when one of the places I'd worked at closed, I probably could've gotten a sweet deal on an otherwise expensive rear end gun. Probably couldn't fit the oven in my garage though :v: Powder coating ovens are built to have as even a temperature profile as possible throughout the entire space, so while a regular rear end oven would probably work, you likely won't end up with an even cure, especially if it just has the heating element at the bottom. Also curious about what his pre-treatment setup is like.. So many questions!! Ask him if you can go in there and take some pictures!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Over the weekend, I started the the big bike and took it for a ride in 37-degree foggy weather to top up the fuel, which I'd neglected to do before the winter riding schedule took over. Hooray for grip heaters. I'd settled into the "sedate" acceleration, handling, and braking that the Mustang is capable of over the last couple months, and the Buell gave me a nice refreshing wheel-in-the-sky wake-up.

I also put a friend on the XL175 for some splashing in the mud and he ran it into a tree on a trail. Good thing I managed to convince him to put on my gear. "I got this bro, I used to tear up the desert on my Kawasaki!" It didn't need turn signals or that front fender anyway!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

marauderthirty posted:

I'm interested to hear more about this, I powder coated for about 5 years, and while I would never do it for a living again, I plan on having my own system in my garage someday. I know Harbor Freight sells powder guns, and possibly even ovens, but I'm not exactly confident in their ability. A decent gun costs anywhere from $2000-5000 in a commercial setting, and I think the HF comes in at less than $100. They also have all sorts of different settings for spray density, voltage, air flow, powder-over-powder specific settings, etc. I'm still kicking myself for not going to the auction when one of the places I'd worked at closed, I probably could've gotten a sweet deal on an otherwise expensive rear end gun. Probably couldn't fit the oven in my garage though :v: Powder coating ovens are built to have as even a temperature profile as possible throughout the entire space, so while a regular rear end oven would probably work, you likely won't end up with an even cure, especially if it just has the heating element at the bottom. Also curious about what his pre-treatment setup is like.. So many questions!! Ask him if you can go in there and take some pictures!

Should be headed over there soon, he just texted me again about it today. I will def take some pictures and let you know what goes on.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sometimes you have to get creative when all you have is a two-arm steering wheel puller.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Sometimes you have to get creative when all you have is a two-arm steering wheel puller.

This deserves an applause. Not visible in the picture is the hours of sweat, tears and consternation.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

This is what Futurists envisioned all buildings would look like-- one hundred years ago.

It is both aesthetically and functionally beautiful.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

Over the weekend, I started the the big bike and took it for a ride in 37-degree foggy weather to top up the fuel, which I'd neglected to do before the winter riding schedule took over. Hooray for grip heaters. I'd settled into the "sedate" acceleration, handling, and braking that the Mustang is capable of over the last couple months, and the Buell gave me a nice refreshing wheel-in-the-sky wake-up.

I also put a friend on the XL175 for some splashing in the mud and he ran it into a tree on a trail. Good thing I managed to convince him to put on my gear. "I got this bro, I used to tear up the desert on my Kawasaki!" It didn't need turn signals or that front fender anyway!

Yeah they don't have too many trees in the desert.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Didn't feel like doing any work at work today so instead I decided the shop needed a vintage pit bike for our vintage race days. Found this thing sitting in a corner and got it running.

Then spent the rest of the day riding it from one end of the shop to the other at walking speed, since I can't ride it outside in a foot of snow.

Productive day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

since I can't ride it outside in a foot of snow.

Bullshit, put on your snowmobile suit and go for it. After the first couple passes (with you pushing) you'll have a clear-ish lane to use.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nice metal panniers, people sure didn't need to carry that much poo poo back in the day.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

Nice metal panniers, people sure didn't need to carry that much poo poo back in the day.

That's why milk crates are basically standard equipment on mopeds:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ola posted:

No poo poo, right? I've got huge panniers on all my bikes and they're still not big enough for all the poo poo I commute with. Did people just like, not eat or buy anything back in the day?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

No poo poo, right? I've got huge panniers on all my bikes and they're still not big enough for all the poo poo I commute with. Did people just like, not eat or buy anything back in the day?

What the hell do you guys pack to commute with?

I've got a 19l alpinestars backpack, fits a laptop, energy drink, pair of shoes if I don't have one in my office, and few other bits of miscelany. Helmet, jacket and shoes go in my office, so what else is there? You guys going camping?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

KozmoNaut posted:

My moped is a big moped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Milk crates are strictly for vintage vinyl these days, which makes sense in this context.

For your commute? Do you have a turkey for lunch and work at a space station with a "bring your own suit"-policy?