Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Ol Uncle Anime posted:

Terry Cavanagh is such a sweetheart! He's one of welcoming indie devs around.

I'm getting close-ish to releasing a twine game called Depression Quest (because we couldn't think of a better name) about living with depression. I'm trying to figure out more ways to make it not look like "a twine game". Already I'm adding more pictures than I've seen in any so far, and tweaking the css a bit, but this is more or less how it looks (with obvious horrible placeholder images)
Anyone working with twine with any advice on how to deviate from the default without making it to a trainwreck?

I have no experience with tweaking visuals in twine (although I'd imagine just moving where the left menu bar appears would go a long way to changing the feel of it) but are you using any sound in the game? It's pretty straightforward to embed mp3s into the html and I don't think a lot of twine games use sound, could be interesting if it fits with the vibe.

I haven't played many twine games recently actually, I wonder if they are incorporating sound/video in interesting ways. I should work on a new one at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Anyone had success with getting Unity to work in Linux? Having to boot into Windows every time I use it is the biggest hurdle at this point. :sigh:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Does anyone have any advice on importing skeletal meshes from Blender into Unity?

Most of the basic parts imported fine, but some of the small bits refuse to be weighed to the bones properly.

Don't know if there's a right way to do this, but what I'm doing isn't working.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Xand_Man posted:

Anyone had success with getting Unity to work in Linux? Having to boot into Windows every time I use it is the biggest hurdle at this point. :sigh:
Does it not work in Wine? I'd just kind of assumed it would - it isn't like it makes huge requirements of the graphics hardware or anything (or at least, you can turn that down).

... regardless, you'd probably want to treat it the same as any other platform. Work mostly in (Mac or Windows or whatever), dump a platform-specific build every week or so. Much like Android or iOS, it just sucks when you're doing something that is troublesome only on your target platform - those few cases aside, it basically "just works" and you can ignore it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GI_Clutch posted:

I haven't worked on anything game related since I put together DYSH for one of the goon game jams earlier this year using GameMaker's HTML5 edition. I purchased the Android export module earlier this year because I've always liked the idea of being able to say, "Hey, try this mobile game I made!" The other day I decided I'd try making another adventure game along the lines of DYSH, only doing it properly as I have more than a week to do so.

I figured I'd make it a mobile game to kill two birds with one stone. The big thing I'm trying to figure out right now is exactly how I want to implement the interface for commands. I grew up playing Sierra adventure games, so my first instinct was to have a bar of commands as seen in this WIP shot.

I'm trying to figure out if this is the route to go down or maybe something else. Part of me feels like it's too much of an old school design choice for a mobile game. Another part of me says it is completely intuitive and reduces the number of clicks a user would need to perform (I'm used to users complaining if a process now takes an extra click to perform, but maybe gamers don't care about clicks as much as government employees). I realized I'm missing a talk command, but I could probably just integrate that into the interact command to keep the number of commands down to keep them large enough and easy to select.

Another idea I had was to display a context menu when an object was clicked with a list of applicable commands. I loved the smell and taste commands in Space Quest IV, so it would be nice to be able to fit in some extra fluff commands.

The correct answer is probably "do whatever you want to do", but I figured I'd see if anyone had any opinions or better ideas.

Personally I'd think a context menu would be the best approach for anything on a touchscreen. It's a lot easier to back out of accidentally touching the wrong thing by going noun -> verb instead of verb -> noun, since the latter involves the verb step before the mistake happens, which is one extra button press that is probably going to end up happening a lot of times (I don't think I've ever played a game on my iPhone where I never had the screen register something way off of where I actually pressed).

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
For anyone who's interested, Mo_Steel started up a thread for the One Game A Month not-really-a-contest game making thingy.

Mo_Steel posted:

Not sure how many people are going to take part in One Game A Month, but I've created a thread over in the Games forum for anyone interested in sharing what they're working on once this thing gets rolling.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I can't seem to get text working in Futile. I load the font with:
code:
Futile.atlasManager.LoadFont("Arial", "Arial_0.png", "Atlases/Arial");
Let me make sure I understand this. The first parameter is the name other things will refer to it as. The second is the file from your Atlas, and the third is the config file location? I've checked to make sure the second and third are spelled correctly and they seem to be.
Anyway I'm getting a NullRefrenceException on line 76 of my code (here), but I have traced the issue to the line where I load the font, because it works fine when I comment it out.

Ol Uncle Anime
Jul 3, 2009

And no one ate dinner that night.

Oddx posted:

I have no experience with tweaking visuals in twine (although I'd imagine just moving where the left menu bar appears would go a long way to changing the feel of it) but are you using any sound in the game? It's pretty straightforward to embed mp3s into the html and I don't think a lot of twine games use sound, could be interesting if it fits with the vibe.

I haven't played many twine games recently actually, I wonder if they are incorporating sound/video in interesting ways. I should work on a new one at some point.

Yeah actually, we've got the same composer who did all the music for Analogue: A Hate Story doing the music. The plan is to make one 15+ minute track looping in the background with some ambient sounds playing over it for certain scenes (like people chatting quietly over the party scene and so forth)

I'll see if there's a better place for the bar. Thanks for the suggestion!

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

mnd posted:

If anyone wants someone to help out on sound effects/sound design/soundtrack work for some short term game projects, I'm game (ahem).

I still haven't decided on the genre of music for my game Neon. You can watch a video of it by clicking on the 'Game Dev' link under my avatar.

If you think your style could fit with the game I'd be interested in hearing a test piece. Maybe make something to fit with the video if you are interested?

Incidentally, I'm working towards starting closed alpha in a couple of months and an alpha demo hopefully soon after.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Screenshot Saturday, the best kind of Saturday! Most of the stuff we did this week was concept stuff for menus and behind the scenes junk (which you can read about on our dev blog if you want) but here is a reworked version of the mining suit and a cool sci-fi energy blade thing:

Torch Dexter
Dec 3, 2006

Serenade posted:

Does anyone have any advice on importing skeletal meshes from Blender into Unity?

Most of the basic parts imported fine, but some of the small bits refuse to be weighed to the bones properly.

Don't know if there's a right way to do this, but what I'm doing isn't working.

When you say some of the small bits refuse to be weighted properly, do you mean they aren't being modified at all, as if they aren't assigned to any vertex groups - or the weighting is just off, giving you slightly strange results? If it's the latter this could be the result of the 'quality' settings on the Skinned Mesh Renderer - i.e. the number of bones that can affect a particular vertex, try pushing that to the maximum and see if you still have the same problem. Bear in mind, if a vertex is weighted to more than 4 bones, Unity will give different results to Blender.

I've found in general the Blender importer in Unity is pretty solid, although I am still using Blender 2.49 & Unity 3.5, so there may be bugs in later combinations I haven't encountered.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Screenshot saturday! Although more like mockup saturday. I can't wait to officially announce this one / get started on it. Definitely our biggest project to date.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Suran37 posted:

I can't seem to get text working in Futile. I load the font with:
code:
Futile.atlasManager.LoadFont("Arial", "Arial_0.png", "Atlases/Arial");
Let me make sure I understand this. The first parameter is the name other things will refer to it as. The second is the file from your Atlas, and the third is the config file location? I've checked to make sure the second and third are spelled correctly and they seem to be.
Anyway I'm getting a NullRefrenceException on line 76 of my code (here), but I have traced the issue to the line where I load the font, because it works fine when I comment it out.

The second is the font's element (image) name (mine is buried in a bigger atlas), the last param is the path to the font's txt file. Looks like you have the right stuff, make sure Arial_0.png exists in an atlas that has been loaded before you call LoadFont.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Torch Dexter posted:

When you say some of the small bits refuse to be weighted properly, do you mean they aren't being modified at all, as if they aren't assigned to any vertex groups - or the weighting is just off, giving you slightly strange results?

Both, for different parts. Some things (like the sole of a boot) end up mutilated even though they just have to follow a single bone. Other things (like the "laces" which are solid meshes) stay near the origin, despite being fully weighed to a single bone. Quality is at max.

The max of four bone thing is good to know though, I'll have to redo some of the torso knowing that.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

the chaos engine posted:

Screenshot saturday! Although more like mockup saturday. I can't wait to officially announce this one / get started on it. Definitely our biggest project to date.

God drat, dude.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
First Screenshot Saturday for a few weeks! (The game is too small to show different things every week :()

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

the chaos engine posted:

FUK U

You should keep that.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Orzo posted:

FUK U

You should keep that.

Oh don't worry, we are.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orzo posted:

FUK U

You should keep that.
I was actually gonna say the opposite, "Well that's a bit of unnecessary crassness in a sea of what's otherwise awesome," but hey, if it flies, it flies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not crass it's a totally legit name for a person in some parts of the world.

None of them are primarily english speaking, but that's just details. :v:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Scornshoot shuturmnblk

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

The White Dragon posted:

I was actually gonna say the opposite, "Well that's a bit of unnecessary crassness in a sea of what's otherwise awesome," but hey, if it flies, it flies.

It'll make sense eventually. Dumb as it may sound, "putting naughty words and penis drawings on giant murderous robots" is a part of the world we're building.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
"When cyber-chavs ruled the world!"

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

GetWellGamers posted:

"When cyber-chavs ruled the world!"

haha nah it's more "gently caress what these big shot scientists say, I'm out here putting these robot parts together for minimum wage and no benefits, it's gonna roll off the assembly line with a cock on it somewhere."

Another way to look at it is the way soldiers wrote "born to kill" on their helmets and poo poo like that.

Game design

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Here's a short video of my game prototype with terrible programmer art. I was trying to slice up a big game idea into small enough workable chunks for a newbie. So my plan for making a small scale turn based space rpg was:

1: make a game prototype where the gameplay is card based with animated results (done)
2: refine the card based gameplay
3: implement ancillary systems (shops, encounter system, etc)
4: abstract out the card gameplay and implement 3D pov interface

Dunno if that's a silly way to go about it, but its nice to have something playable quickly.

Animated gif wooo. Thanks for the tip earlier in the thread Mug

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 30, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I didn't do much work this week, just did christmas stuff and played with my new computer. I made it so windows in-game can resize smoothly if you need them to, as you can see the window at the top-right do when it overflows.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Made it so I can connect levels in the level editor, video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcua5osTXv8

Related blog post here

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

The second is the font's element (image) name (mine is buried in a bigger atlas), the last param is the path to the font's txt file. Looks like you have the right stuff, make sure Arial_0.png exists in an atlas that has been loaded before you call LoadFont.

Apparently there is an issue with BMFont and certain fonts when using Futile. Anyway is there documentation somewhere? I can't find anything about collision detection and any code examples I can find of other things never work since he has seemingly renamed every method in the package at least once.

EDIT:
At least he responds pretty drat quickly if you post on reddit.
Although that might not be a good thing since he gave me a wrong answer. :smith:

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 30, 2012

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Vankwish posted:

I still haven't decided on the genre of music for my game Neon. You can watch a video of it by clicking on the 'Game Dev' link under my avatar.

If you think your style could fit with the game I'd be interested in hearing a test piece. Maybe make something to fit with the video if you are interested?

Incidentally, I'm working towards starting closed alpha in a couple of months and an alpha demo hopefully soon after.
Hey there!

I took a look at the video on the Steam Greenlight page. Looks interesting. I'll admit it didn't immediately hook me, but I'm interested in seeing where it goes. I'll start thinking about a piece of background music to go with that video and maybe making some audio doodles and throw something over the transom to you when I have a thing for you listen to. Sound good?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

PDP-1 posted:

For anyone who's interested, Mo_Steel started up a thread for the One Game A Month not-really-a-contest game making thingy.
Aww jeez. I just got done saying I wasn't going to have time to work on my extant game dev projects at least for January, but now this thing is making me want to use it as a convenient excuse to experiment with a bunch of tech choices on extraordinarily simple games. F it, I'm in. I'll post over in Mo_Steel's thread to that effect.

PDP-1, thanks for cross-posting this!

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

abraham linksys posted:

My problem is that I can't come up with one idea, let alone twelve in a year :v:

I know that it's impossible to really describe the "creative process" in any medium, but, well, how do you guys develop your ideas? I should probably just start working on something generic to get my feet wet, but it's hard to get excited about making Yet Another Indie Platformer. The only ideas I ever have for games tend to be narrative ideas and not actual gameplay concepts, which is unfortunate. That's the kind of dark path that leads to things like the original Zybourne Clock - I'd rather come up with, you know, a game instead of a plotline.

Btw, it's interesting seeing a lot of artists in this thread who are learning coding, whereas I'm thinking of doing the opposite - I know how to code (in broadest terms), but have absolute poo poo in terms of art skills. Everyone's screenshots always make me really jealous, since I know if I ever really started on a project it would look like rear end by comparison.

A little thing I am working on with a friend we are using all Nicki Minaj placeholder art. It's a minajathon.

The key to being creative is stealing ideas and refining them, find a game you like, or even one you only kind of like, take apart its gameplay, Egoraptor style, wok out what you liked about its gameplay, what makes it work, work out what you think you can do to improve those concepts, be it refining them, combining them or even taking a new perspective (I mean that literally). Also to be noted- I'd consider controls to be core to gameplay. Try switching those around as well.

But really and above all, make *something* even if it is YAIP. You'll learn far more actually building a game and all the problems you will come across than just thinking about making one.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

mnd posted:

Hey there!

I took a look at the video on the Steam Greenlight page. Looks interesting. I'll admit it didn't immediately hook me, but I'm interested in seeing where it goes. I'll start thinking about a piece of background music to go with that video and maybe making some audio doodles and throw something over the transom to you when I have a thing for you listen to. Sound good?

Neon is still only 50% complete. Basically the ground work is done and now it's time to add all the content for the game. Obviously if you aren't into fast spaceship combat it's not going to appeal.

I can't promise I'm going to go with any music or sound effects you produce but I'm definitely interested in hearing what you throw together. :)

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I spent the entirety of New Year's day making my drag and drop interface functionally and graphically complete (previously it was just a graphical hack and didn't do anything functional at all).
Have a look if you like to look at things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYEnNl1iT0w

It's really hard to manage the information exchange between the windows without leaving loopholes where players can dupe creatures.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
So, I'm working on a thing and I spent some time trying to make a mockup, figured I'd post it here to see if anyone had any feedback on it.

I'm not that happy with how the UI looks right now, and I only have it positioned at the top so it wouldn't interfere on a Android device where the system home/back keys could get in the way.

Also, has anyone ever used Haxe much? I'm messing around with it right now before jumping in to just using Unity since all I'm doing is 2D, but I'm wondering if I'm better off just biting the bullet to avoid any kind of compatibility issues.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

TheOrange posted:

So, I'm working on a thing and I spent some time trying to make a mockup, figured I'd post it here to see if anyone had any feedback on it.

I'm not that happy with how the UI looks right now, and I only have it positioned at the top so it wouldn't interfere on a Android device where the system home/back keys could get in the way.

Also, has anyone ever used Haxe much? I'm messing around with it right now before jumping in to just using Unity since all I'm doing is 2D, but I'm wondering if I'm better off just biting the bullet to avoid any kind of compatibility issues.

The UI clashes with the rest of the game. I would just simplify it kinda like this

or like this

because I dig how the game looks but the UI really wrecks the style for me.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

the chaos engine posted:

The UI clashes with the rest of the game. I would just simplify it kinda like this

or like this

because I dig how the game looks but the UI really wrecks the style for me.

Wow, thank you, that's so simple and it looks so much better... do you mind at all if I use one of those designs? I'm still trying to find out how I want this game to look, I was a bit afraid I might make something that fell too far into the steampunk category but I'm glad to see someone likes the vector style.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

TheOrange posted:

Wow, thank you, that's so simple and it looks so much better... do you mind at all if I use one of those designs? I'm still trying to find out how I want this game to look, I was a bit afraid I might make something that fell too far into the steampunk category but I'm glad to see someone likes the vector style.

Yeah go for it! Also I wouldn't be too concerned about looking too steampunk. I mean some people might say that, but for the same money some people will say the silhouette style is overused, and again others would say retro pixel art is overused, and on and on.

It's a style, it has visual coherence, and it works for the game. If you like it, run with it. gently caress em.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Dunno if this is the right place to say it, or if I'm behind the curve, but I just talked with the E3 organizers today and they're bringing back Kentia Hall!

The Gaming Ghetto lives!! :whatup:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
What is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Mug posted:

What is that?

Kentia Hall! Also, supposedly where Guitar Hero originally generated its buzz.