Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

kaujot posted:

I desperately need more westerns in my collection. What are the best westerns/highest quality discs out there? I've got The Wild Bunch (not a great disc, I don't think, but a great movie) and that's about it.

According to Blu-ray.com: Unforgiven, Once Upon A Time in The West, and True Grit (both of them).

Sort-of-joking answer: Blazing Saddles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
OUATITW is my definitive western.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

If you are looking for the demo quality stuff, ignore what follows. The western mini-series Lonesome Dove is astounding. It's $15 but it's six hours+. It starts a little slow but ends up being one of the greatest mini-series ever. Also, 2008's Appaloosa is underrated and terrific. Only $10. Also, you can't beat the non-western western that led to so many great ones, Yojimbo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kaujot posted:

I desperately need more westerns in my collection. What are the best westerns/highest quality discs out there? I've got The Wild Bunch (not a great disc, I don't think, but a great movie) and that's about it.

The Searchers was pretty amazing looking. I remember hearing good things about the Smilebox version of How The West Was One. The American version of The Man With No Name Trilogy can't compare to picture quality of the Italian version but you can't beat the content.

I didn't like it but 3:10 To Yuma is $4 on Amazon so... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XRO3MQ...RZ7V97PY8PT2C4S

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 29, 2012

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Steve Yun posted:

OUATITW is my definitive western.

OUATITW in the definitive western.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Starscream posted:

OUATITW in the definitive western.

I remember this because he so rarely gives any personal views, but David Letterman had a film critic on (can't remember if it was Ebert, I think it was) and he told him that his favorite movie of all time was OUATITW.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think everyone should own Stagecoach and Once Upon A Time In The West.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Is there no Blu-Ray version of Peter Jackson's King Kong that contains all the special features from the 3-disc deluxe DVD edition?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

kaujot posted:

Definitely get The Searchers and Once Upon A Time In The West--they're both gorgeous flicks with great blu-ray transfers. I also like How The West Was Won--it's a little campy but beautifully restored in it's crazy widescreen Cinerama format (it was originally shown using three projectors to make a 160 or so degree image).

Beyond those, it depends what kind of westerns you like. I'm a big fan of the golden age stuff from the 40's, 50's and early 60's. You can't go wrong with anything directed by John Ford, especially if it stars John Wayne.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think everyone should own Stagecoach

Uh wow I am an idiot for forgetting I own this already.

To everyone else: thank you for the suggestions! Aren't there some issues with the BD transfer of The Searchers, or am I thinking of a different format?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I remember this because he so rarely gives any personal views, but David Letterman had a film critic on (can't remember if it was Ebert, I think it was) and he told him that his favorite movie of all time was OUATITW.

Can't imagine that was Ebert. He tends to shy away from definitive film statements like that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

kaujot posted:

Uh wow I am an idiot for forgetting I own this already.

To everyone else: thank you for the suggestions! Aren't there some issues with the BD transfer of The Searchers, or am I thinking of a different format?

It looks good to me, although I'm not really an expert on what makes a transfer good or bad. The story and amazing shots are worth it though, check out the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI2AZb04HAc

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mod sassinator posted:

It looks good to me, although I'm not really an expert on what makes a transfer good or bad. The story and amazing shots are worth it though, check out the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI2AZb04HAc

I really should watch this movie sometime. I see this trailer every time I visit the "Great Movie Ride" at Disney World and each time I keep reminding myself to watch it when I get home.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Oh I've seen it and it's great! Don't know why I haven't bought it before or why I didn't think of it myself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

kaujot posted:

Can't imagine that was Ebert. He tends to shy away from definitive film statements like that.

I'm pretty sure there are two dozen films he's called the Worst Movie Ever

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

kaujot posted:

Letterman said it, not whoever the critic was.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

kaujot posted:

There are no problems that I'm aware of. It's a gorgeous blu-ray.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Westerns: I really enjoy 3:10 to Yuma. Great picture quality and one of the best sounding blu-rays I've ever watched. (Assuming you use the lossless sound.)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
An update on the forthcoming X-Files Blu-rays. Le sigh.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Aatrek posted:

An update on the forthcoming X-Files Blu-rays. Le sigh.

This is why everyone hates you FOX. Cheap bastards.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
What does he mean by "upscaling"? The establishing shots are going to be upconverted from the VHS masters or something? That might suck, but honestly I can't imagine it looking worse than the DVDs.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

What does he mean by "upscaling"? The establishing shots are going to be upconverted from the VHS masters or something? That might suck, but honestly I can't imagine it looking worse than the DVDs.

I don't remember a noticeable change in quality during the establishing shots on the DVDs. But as you say, the DVDs look terrible.

How much could it possibly cost to just shoot it again?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CPL593H posted:

Yes. At first I thought he was saying the whole thing is just being upscaled. But instead it's the establishing shots. They don't have negatives for them so it'll just be low grade sources.

Really though, it's just establishing shots, all in all it's nothing too bad.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't remember a noticeable change in quality during the establishing shots on the DVDs. But as you say, the DVDs look terrible.

I meant that they look terrible overall.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lizard Combatant posted:

It could end up being a cost/benefit thing. How much is it going to cost to do new master shots versus how much is it going to improve the overall experience. You can see both sides of the equation. One Burnett side, there's a strong case for getting it absolutely right and not cutting any corners, no matter how small they may be. But there's also something in saying "this is how the original producers made the show." And there's also something in saying it's very minor and if you have to make a cut, I rather it be something like that rather than special effects.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

I meant that they look terrible overall.

Sorry, I meant that the establishing shots didn't look worse on the DVDs than the rest of the show. I wonder if the version they put on the DVDs is the best copy they have, or whether they have a slightly nicer master of those shots?

Cemetry Gator posted:

It could end up being a cost/benefit thing. How much is it going to cost to do new master shots versus how much is it going to improve the overall experience. You can see both sides of the equation. One Burnett side, there's a strong case for getting it absolutely right and not cutting any corners, no matter how small they may be. But there's also something in saying "this is how the original producers made the show." And there's also something in saying it's very minor and if you have to make a cut, I rather it be something like that rather than special effects.

Fair enough maybe, but I'm sort of expecting a similar announcement regarding the SFX to surface. But I really do hope I'm just being pessimistic and wrong.

e: \/\/\/ Yeah, that all makes a lot of sense. Have to wait and see, I'm just being touchy cause I expect them to screw it up.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 29, 2012

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It might also be not as simple as going out and getting new establishing shots. I mean, how many of the buildings still exist in their original form? If they have been modified or updated, would they use CGI to bring them back around to what we see in the series? They will have to get permission to film at these buildings again, this might be tricky, and costly. It's it all establishing shots, or just major locations that they record? What about city shots? Should new buildings be kept, or erased? Will fans care? What about weather, lighting, signage, etc.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Seeing the Highlander reference I went to check out the series blu-ray reviews. Wow.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Highlander-Season-One-Blu-ray/3155/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

It might also be not as simple as going out and getting new establishing shots. I mean, how many of the buildings still exist in their original form? If they have been modified or updated, would they use CGI to bring them back around to what we see in the series? They will have to get permission to film at these buildings again, this might be tricky, and costly. It's it all establishing shots, or just major locations that they record? What about city shots? Should new buildings be kept, or erased? Will fans care? What about weather, lighting, signage, etc.

Not to mention all the 90s cars.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Letterman said it, not whoever the critic was.

Oh gotcha. Misread you.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'd rather just deal with the worse-looking original shots than see something that clearly was filmed decades later. It's not like my eyes haven't gotten used to seeing a sudden drop in quality for an occasional shot in these remastered shows. In the Star Trek TOS remastering, any shot that fades out/in to commercial is noticeably crappy compared to the rest of the scenes. In THOSE cases, the degraded quality begins at the shot itself, so if people still talk for a short bit and pause for dramatic music, it just looks crappy for the entire duration. These establishing shots last... what? 3-5 seconds tops?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Space_Butler posted:

I'd rather just deal with the worse-looking original shots than see something that clearly was filmed decades later. It's not like my eyes haven't gotten used to seeing a sudden drop in quality for an occasional shot in these remastered shows. In the Star Trek TOS remastering, any shot that fades out/in to commercial is noticeably crappy compared to the rest of the scenes. In THOSE cases, the degraded quality begins at the shot itself, so if people still talk for a short bit and pause for dramatic music, it just looks crappy for the entire duration. These establishing shots last... what? 3-5 seconds tops?

My favorite is Cheers. If you remember the show before it was remastered, it looked dark and grungy. Well, when they remastered it, they really were able to bring out a ton of detail. However, there's obviously a few reels of film missing, meaning that some scenes go from dark and grungy to bright and clear, just depending on what camera angle is used.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance/Oldboy/Lady Vengeance) is back in stock at $22.49

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BI76WI...RTAQK4H3P2PR8CP

I expect it to sell out again pretty quickly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress I wish I had the cash for that. My Oldboy and Lady V collectors DVD are just sitting here since I can't play them in anything (region locked and I got rid of my old region free player).

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 29, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
edit: Oh my god why did it take me to that post and why did I quote without realizing it was four months old

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 30, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Sporadic posted:

The Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance/Oldboy/Lady Vengeance) is back in stock at $22.49

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BI76WI...RTAQK4H3P2PR8CP

I expect it to sell out again pretty quickly.

Thanks, I missed the Black Friday sale and was pissed, nabbed it this time

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
The David Lynch boxset is down to £14 on amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Lynch-Box-Set-Blu-ray/dp/B007NYDVV6/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1356921639&sr=1-1

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Have the quality issues that all the reviews note been corrected yet? Even for that cheap of a price, the sets not worth it if it has that many glitches.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Have the quality issues that all the reviews note been corrected yet? Even for that cheap of a price, the sets not worth it if it has that many glitches.

The description says the technical glitches have been fixed.

It's region-locked, though, so people in the US like me with just a PS3 for playback are still out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

The Product Description says this:

quote:

Soundtrack and Audio Problems:
Early customers of this title experienced problems with the audio tracks included on the discs. Faulty products were recalled by the manufacturer, replaced, and the issues have now been fixed.

* Lost Highway - some customers experienced intermittent sticking of the disc, and the film was authored in 2.0. The sticking has been fixed and the 5.1 soundtrack reinstated.
* Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - some customers experienced audio glitches, and the film was authored in 2.0. The film has been reauthored in 5.1 and the audio glitches fixed.
* Wild at Heart - this film was originally authored using the 2.0 censored US master, and has been reauthored using the UK uncensored 5.1 cut.
* Dune had no problems and is presented in HD with 5.1 sound.
* Blue Velvet had no problems and is presented in HD with 5.1 sound.
* Eraserhead had no problems and is presented in HD with the original 2.0 stereo as requested by David Lynch.

Please note: some packaging may still state 2.0 stereo on certain films, however all films are presented in 5.1 surround except for Eraserhead which preserves the original 2.0 stereo.

Can anyone confirm that the set is locked to Region B?

• Locked thread