Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
Tomorrow I'm taking the plunge and buying a B-52 Matrix 2000 system with the 2 12" speakers and the 18" sub woofer, so I can start getting paid more to play at house parties. I found it for about $750 at a local store. After I get my next check I'm playing on splurging on a lighting system. Luckily my girlfriend is a theater teacher, so I have a full time roadie to help run stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Save Russian Jews posted:

Those V-Modas look amazing and my current Sonys don't really rotate the way I want them to (and are consequently getting returned); I'm really not trying to spend money today, but ughhh, they're so tempting.

Also, I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the Numark Mix Deck (there's one sitting open-boxc at my work I can probably talk my boss down to $300 on), is it even worth buying as a complete beginner's controller?

Djtechtools did a pretty good headphone review http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/12/05/dj-headphones-battle-royale-5-headphones-reviewed/
, the v-modas did pretty well.

Save your money on the mixdeck, and buy some gear that will last the long haul.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

ZHamburglar posted:

Tomorrow I'm taking the plunge and buying a B-52 Matrix 2000 system with the 2 12" speakers and the 18" sub woofer, so I can start getting paid more to play at house parties. I found it for about $750 at a local store. After I get my next check I'm playing on splurging on a lighting system. Luckily my girlfriend is a theater teacher, so I have a full time roadie to help run stuff.

Why is it 750? I don't know if I could ever trust a used B-52 system, especially since it's one of those where if one thing breaks then the entire thing is unusable.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Old Man Pants posted:

Djtechtools did a pretty good headphone review http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/12/05/dj-headphones-battle-royale-5-headphones-reviewed/
, the v-modas did pretty well.

Save your money on the mixdeck, and buy some gear that will last the long haul.

Thanks for the advice and the review; I'd been looking for something legit-looking/reputable that wasn't some weirdo on a youtube video telling me "see, this one just sounds clearer" while pressing his Beats Studios to the webcam.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The earcups on the v-modas don't rotate. If you're looking for that look elsewhere.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Merry Christmas to me: I finally sucked it up and bought the Crane Stand Pro. My Stanton one is a wobbly piece of junk and I'm tired of it. I borrowed a friend's Crane stand one night and I was sad when I had to go back to my Stanton one.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
So my mix is https://soundcloud.com/phractured/october-31st-yall-tricks-love

tracklist posted:

tracklist * Dat poo poo Cray - DJ Slink and Jason Paul *
Goin Crazy (f. Jocelyn Ellis) - Bobby Green *
Signal - Overwerk * Atlas (Fred Falke Radio Edit) *
Space Jump - Wolfgang Gartner *
Shots- LMFAO f. LIL Jon *
Test Me - Flosstradamus and DJ Sliink *
Sippin On Some Syrup - Three 6 *
Busta rear end Niggas (ft. Chip Tha Ripper and Bun B) - Hit-Boy *
Your Bitch Chose Me (ft. Juicy J) - Twista *
Trap On Acid - RL Grime *
Mt. Goon - Jiclo *
Like A Pimp - The Esseph *
In My Mind (Fresh Direct & DStar Remix) - Axwell *
Bass Cannon (Proper Villains Remix) - Flux Pavillion *
Big Fat (Party Favour's Big FAT RE-FIX) - Deorro *
Jello - gLAdiator * Bussin - Trouble *
The Joker Lucid Bootleg - Caleb Mak/Lucid *
Black Mane - ASAP Mob

And the transition times

transitions posted:

* 1:52 * 3:52 * 5:36 * 7:06 * 10:48 * 12:06(lovely transition) * 13:17 * 14:28 * 15:24 * 16:58 * 18:28 * 20:40 * 22:00 * 24:00(Abrupt but intentional) * 24:50 * 26:27 * 27:50 * 29:17 * 31:19

It's all house/rap/trap, so if you like that kind of stuff and would be willing give me a constructive listen, that would be much appreciated.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

First transition - technically, it is fine - but I think you needed an edit on both tracks. When you're coming in 1:52 after the track has dropped, it's a good idea to chop down the track so you can at least go out on the track's natural outro (or create your own outro with the rest of the track). That'll make it sound really clean. Same thing with the second transition - you're just dropping into really busy parts of the track.

Actually, going through the rest of the mix, I think that's what you're really missing - I think you want to shorten up the playtime on the tracks, but in the process you're mashing together the tracks kind of tightly - it'll work for tracks you know really well, but sometimes it gets a little busy. This'll bite you especially on hip-hop tracks - those, you really need to use those intro/outro loops and drop in at the right time. Use the intros and outros to lead the songs in and out and you should be ok.

If you want to go to the extreme and get into quickmixing, chop every song down to like 1:50 with intros and outros and have fun

tl;dr edits dude

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

I was doing this by accident. My wife (aka my audience of 1 as I do my thing in the living room) pointed out that I'm not letting the tracks play out enough to be actually enjoyed.
I took her advice, and I'm letting songs play for more than just a minute, and I can tell that there's a much better flow of energy if you let the tracks do their own thing.
My problem was that I felt like I was just standing there as a track plays, but I guess that's when I'll do my Jesus poses.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Alfajor posted:

I was doing this by accident. My wife (aka my audience of 1 as I do my thing in the living room) pointed out that I'm not letting the tracks play out enough to be actually enjoyed.
I took her advice, and I'm letting songs play for more than just a minute, and I can tell that there's a much better flow of energy if you let the tracks do their own thing.
My problem was that I felt like I was just standing there as a track plays, but I guess that's when I'll do my Jesus poses.

I've found that it is very entertaining (and effective) to quick mix in bar-driven clubs that are top40/house format and during/after peak hour. Keeps the energy high and you get to plow through a bunch of new and old songs. Elsewhere, people are going to think you have ADD.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I think the thing to remember guys is that there's no "one approach fits all" for DJing. Quick mixing is a good way to keep the energy up if you have a solid crowd but it's not one of those things that you should do all the time. It also is very genre specific.

Read your room and let them be your guide.

edit: drat it, beaten

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

dj bobby bieber posted:

First transition - technically, it is fine - but I think you needed an edit on both tracks. When you're coming in 1:52 after the track has dropped, it's a good idea to chop down the track so you can at least go out on the track's natural outro (or create your own outro with the rest of the track). That'll make it sound really clean. Same thing with the second transition - you're just dropping into really busy parts of the track.

Actually, going through the rest of the mix, I think that's what you're really missing - I think you want to shorten up the playtime on the tracks, but in the process you're mashing together the tracks kind of tightly - it'll work for tracks you know really well, but sometimes it gets a little busy. This'll bite you especially on hip-hop tracks - those, you really need to use those intro/outro loops and drop in at the right time. Use the intros and outros to lead the songs in and out and you should be ok.

If you want to go to the extreme and get into quickmixing, chop every song down to like 1:50 with intros and outros and have fun

tl;dr edits dude

When I am playing in a room I usually let the songs ride longer because I can gauge the crwods reaction, but when I am making mixes for myself I usually just mix in and out based on how song is amusing me. I definitely agree though. I need to let some tracks play out longer.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
So I'm completely new to the DJing scene, what kind of hardware controller would you guys recommend?

Also here's my soundcloud with some mixes i made: https://soundcloud.com/phev

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What do you want to do with it?

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."

revmoo posted:

What do you want to do with it?

I'd like to eventually go on to DJing around the city I live but for now just house party stuff, I'd like something that's capable of both but not too complicated. Price ins't really much of an issue.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
so I want to DJ, but I'm a little intimidated by the OP. I don't have anyone elses equipment to mess around on. I have FL Studio. I have a simple goal of just mixing a couple of songs/transitioning them into each other, probably some electrohouse or trance but maybe hip-hop as well. How would I go about doing this?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Isn't FL Studio more for making songs rather than DJing?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

I'd like to eventually go on to DJing around the city I live but for now just house party stuff, I'd like something that's capable of both but not too complicated. Price ins't really much of an issue.

Rane Sixty Two or Traktor Z2 and some 1200s.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

dj bobby bieber posted:

Rane Sixty Two or Traktor Z2 and some 1200s.

Thanks for the response, but I clearly underestimated the cost of this stuff. I have about 1 grand to spend total, can you recommend anything in a lower price range?

Edit: I'm taking a look at the ns7, looks pretty good, any advice? What's the difference between the ns6 and the ns7, and is the price difference worth it?

ManSauceGuzzlr fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 29, 2012

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

an skeleton posted:

so I want to DJ, but I'm a little intimidated by the OP. I don't have anyone elses equipment to mess around on. I have FL Studio. I have a simple goal of just mixing a couple of songs/transitioning them into each other, probably some electrohouse or trance but maybe hip-hop as well. How would I go about doing this?

You want dj software, not fruity loops. Try the trial version of Traktor out

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Thanks for the response, but I clearly underestimated the cost of this stuff. I have about 1 grand to spend total, can you recommend anything in a lower price range?

Edit: I'm taking a look at the ns7, looks pretty good, any advice? What's the difference between the ns6 and the ns7, and is the price difference worth it?

Check out the Traktor S2. Runs a bit under 500 bucks on amazon it looks like

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

I'm selling an NS7 if you're interested. It is kind of a niche product with the turntables. I personally love the feel because I started on turntables, but the ns6 has more features as a controller. The new Pioneer controller is the one to beat at the moment (I think anyway) and I can see it being adopted in the clubs. The Traktor controllers are very nice and generally cheaper. Both will do more than you need to get started.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

an skeleton posted:

If you have no gear you can try to start to learn with virtual dj home free which is what I did. Bind keys on your keyboard to change the EQ's of the tracks so you can try to get a feel for EQing more naturally rather than just doing it with your mouse.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 31, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

vanilla slimfast posted:

Check out the Traktor S2. Runs a bit under 500 bucks on amazon it looks like

Or the S4.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

dj bobby bieber posted:

I'm selling an NS7 if you're interested. It is kind of a niche product with the turntables. I personally love the feel because I started on turntables, but the ns6 has more features as a controller. The new Pioneer controller is the one to beat at the moment (I think anyway) and I can see it being adopted in the clubs. The Traktor controllers are very nice and generally cheaper. Both will do more than you need to get started.

I want a DDJ-SX but it's like 2 Grand in New Zealand Pesos. And that's a lot of pesos.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Solus posted:

I want a DDJ-SX but it's like 2 Grand in New Zealand Pesos. And that's a lot of pesos.

I think there's a strong possibility that you'll see those installed in clubs in the future. I'm not rushing out to buy one, but it has the namepower and the features to possibly overtake CDJs. It's $999USD here, which is a lot for what it is but not too unreasonable.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

dj bobby bieber posted:

I think there's a strong possibility that you'll see those installed in clubs in the future. I'm not rushing out to buy one, but it has the namepower and the features to possibly overtake CDJs. It's $999USD here, which is a lot for what it is but not too unreasonable.

So we're paying over a USD$800 Markup for the same thing to be shipped to here. gently caress everything. I might just import it.

Solus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 29, 2012

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

Blowdryer posted:

If you have no gear you can try to start to learn with virtual dj home free which is what I did. Bind keys on your keyboard to change the EQ's of the tracks so you can try to get a feel for EQing more naturally rather than just doing it with your mouse.

e; ps. can somebody please critique my mix? :( all I want to know if I'm doing anything wrong other than vocal overlaps.

Can you post another link to it? I'd love to check it out, I might not know much tenchincal stuff but I know good music when I hear it

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

dj bobby bieber posted:

Yeah after doing some research I'd prefer an ITCH controller, but I'm still not sure if the NS6 or NS7 is right for me...

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Yeah after doing some research I'd prefer an ITCH controller, but I'm still not sure if the NS6 or NS7 is right for me...

Try a Novation Twitch. It's cheaper.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

I personally have a V7 and an X5 right now. The V7 is essentially a half of the controller portion of an NS7, and you control both decks from it. The X5 is basically the standalone equivalent of the mixer of the NS7. I got a refurbished X5 on ebay for around $230 and a used V7 for $300, so altogether a fair amount cheaper than an NS7 probably. I'll though I've only played one show so far, it's really nice when they have a house mixer to just bring your V7 and plug it in.

I would like to switch CDJ's the summer if I have the extra funds though, and my current plan is to keep on using the X5 since it's an alright mixer. Would anybody recommend starting out on CDJ-350s though? They seem like a fairly easy transfer over from a laptop, with the USB playback and rekordbox stuff. I just don't want to blow a lot of money and then have an "oh poo poo how do I DJ without my laptop" moment.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

Solus posted:

Try a Novation Twitch. It's cheaper.

Wow I am seriously impressed with this, thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Okay so I've basically narrowed it down to the Novation Twitch or the Pioneer DDJ-SX, the only thing keeping me from the DDJ-SX is the size. I live in a city and use the metro, I can't even imagine having to lug that thing around with me. Any thoughts?

ManSauceGuzzlr fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 29, 2012

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

Okay so I decided on the Twitch, now I'm looking at laptops. Does anyone know of a solid windows laptop that comes with a sound card, or am I going to need to add that on my own?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The audio interface is built into Twitch.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Okay so I decided on the Twitch, now I'm looking at laptops. Does anyone know of a solid windows laptop that comes with a sound card, or am I going to need to add that on my own?

The simplest solution at this point is for you to get youself the Novation Twitch, Get some headphones, Get a Lapop that came out in 2011 or 2012. If you decide you don't like Djing later, you have a decent laptop and some headphones for listening to music. And you haven't spend massive amounts of money on a Controller.

These are the interfaces of the twitch, Front and Back.As you can see by the outputs it has 1/4inch TRS output for the Master out and RCA output for the booth output. Headphone otput has a 1/4inch and 1/8th inch TRS output so you aren't limited by the jack on you headphones (Converters are like a dollar each anyway)

As far as laptops go. This link has the Laptop requirements for the Serato DJ software, which a good chunk of Itch controllers are upgrading too free of charge. And Traktor specs are here. If your laptop meets both of those then you'll be laughing. Try and beat it by a good margin though. While your controller does come with a Traktor mapping, it is designed for Itch/Serato DJ. But it doesn't hurt to make sure you can use Traktor as well. I would reccomend a Macbook, but I use a Windows laptop because that's what I had lying around the house when I started and I haven't needed to upgrade yet.

That should meet all the basics you need for DJing, aside from speakers. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on studio monitors and other poo poo yet.Just grab yourself one of these, which will convert the Master outut of your Controller into an input compatible with this. Which is what I used until I upgraded to proper monitors/speakers.

That will last you until you leave the house and start playing out.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
So, I talked my boss down to a very reasonable price for the Numark Mixdeck at my work, brought it home... and it's got at least one dead disc drive. Yes, of course I got the extended/replacement warranty (which will essentially pay out $700).

So, bearing in mind that I have my employee discount to figure in here (think 25% off of MSRP on equip), no brand loyalties, and no experience, what suggestions would you have for me in that price range? I'm currently eyeing up the Traktor Kontrol S4 and the DDJ-SX. I particularly like the amount of buttons on the DDJ-SX, but it just seems like for a beginner controller, it might be too complicated? I'm not sure.

Are there any other ideas any of you might have? Possibly going cheaper on the controller and adding some other things?

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 30, 2012

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

Solus posted:

The simplest solution at this point is for you to get youself the Novation Twitch, Get some headphones, Get a Lapop that came out in 2011 or 2012. If you decide you don't like Djing later, you have a decent laptop and some headphones for listening to music. And you haven't spend massive amounts of money on a Controller.

These are the interfaces of the twitch, Front and Back.As you can see by the outputs it has 1/4inch TRS output for the Master out and RCA output for the booth output. Headphone otput has a 1/4inch and 1/8th inch TRS output so you aren't limited by the jack on you headphones (Converters are like a dollar each anyway)

As far as laptops go. This link has the Laptop requirements for the Serato DJ software, which a good chunk of Itch controllers are upgrading too free of charge. And Traktor specs are here. If your laptop meets both of those then you'll be laughing. Try and beat it by a good margin though. While your controller does come with a Traktor mapping, it is designed for Itch/Serato DJ. But it doesn't hurt to make sure you can use Traktor as well. I would reccomend a Macbook, but I use a Windows laptop because that's what I had lying around the house when I started and I haven't needed to upgrade yet.

That should meet all the basics you need for DJing, aside from speakers. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on studio monitors and other poo poo yet.Just grab yourself one of these, which will convert the Master outut of your Controller into an input compatible with this. Which is what I used until I upgraded to proper monitors/speakers.

That will last you until you leave the house and start playing out.

I just ordered an IdeaPad Y500 from Lenovo, should easily be able to run anything I throw at it. I don't think the twitch is updated for Serato DJ yet but it should be soon, guess there's no harm in learning ITCH in the meantime. And I already have a pair of sick headphones so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help!

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Save Russian Jews posted:

I'm currently eyeing up the Traktor Kontrol S4 and the DDJ-SX. I particularly like the amount of buttons on the DDJ-SX, but it just seems like for a beginner controller, it might be too complicated? I'm not sure.

Both of these are going to be nice controllers, it will eventually come down to what software you want to use, and whether or not you are going to be playing out with it. The s4 is already a pretty big controller, and the ddj makes it look tiny:

I cant imagine lugging that thing around.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Dr. Goonstein posted:

I would like to switch CDJ's the summer if I have the extra funds though, and my current plan is to keep on using the X5 since it's an alright mixer. Would anybody recommend starting out on CDJ-350s though? They seem like a fairly easy transfer over from a laptop, with the USB playback and rekordbox stuff. I just don't want to blow a lot of money and then have an "oh poo poo how do I DJ without my laptop" moment.

Why would you do this? Most people go the opposite direction (cdjs/turntables -> controller+laptop)

Seems like a waste of money if you're already invested with a controller and laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

Why would you do this? Most people go the opposite direction (cdjs/turntables -> controller+laptop)

Seems like a waste of money if you're already invested with a controller and laptop

Not sure where he is, but in the UK, you never, ever see someone taking a controller to a 'proper' club (can't think of a better term). You'd get laughed at. So if you want to graduate to playing clubs etc, you want to learn how to use CDJs or turntables, whether that's through CDs, vinyl, timecode, whatever.