Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Schpyder posted:

If you want something cheap and peaty, it's hard to go wrong with Black Bottle.

I've got black bottle around right now and it is nice and peaty, but it seems kind of simple and a touch on the harsh side. I guess I might be spoiled by mostly sticking with Ardbeg and Lagavulin for peaty whisky.

edit: Woops, I was thinking you were talking about JW Black Label which is what I have.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
If you want to be adventurous, you can try the cheap-o independent Islay bottlings like Finlaggan Old Reserve and McClellands Islay (which is a young Bowmore, if I'm not mistaken). Black Bottle is very cheap and I recall it being good when I had it over a year ago, but I can't vouch for it now. Although at $16, it's hardly a big gamble.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Yeah below $50 a bottle basically. I've not heard much about Highland, how does it compare to my current favorite Islay: Lagavulin 16?

Highland Park 12 is an all rounder whiskey for those without a particular region preference, since you like Islay Caol Ila 12 and Laphroaig 10 are your best bets.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

kidsafe posted:

For single malts, Laphroaig 10 was once found as low as US$30, but now it's US$43 just about everywhere.

Which is suuuuuuuch a drag. :(

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got a package today

:D

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

Schpyder posted:

Highland Park isn't an Islay. They're on Orkney. Getting some Highland Park thinking it'd be anything like an Islay peat monster would be a bit of a disappointment. It's a lovely whisky, but the peat is merely a backdrop, not up in your face.

If you want something cheap and peaty, it's hard to go wrong with Black Bottle.

This x 1000. My favorite single malts are Balvenie Double Wood & Lagavulin 16. While cheaping out, I was a Famous Grouse devotee until I met Black Bottle.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Kenning posted:

Which is suuuuuuuch a drag. :(
Honestly, it doesn't affect me as much since I'm a Quarter Cask guy and that hasn't seen any sort of a price hike lately. It's been $55 for as long as I can remember. I did see the Finlaggan suggestion though. There's also Ileach from the same bottler.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cheap islay or islay-inspired, in no particular order:
Black Bottle (Islay blend)
Black Grouse (Islay cask finished blend)
Six Isles (Vatting of all-island whisky, including Islay)
Smoke Head (Single malt Islay, likely Ardbeg)
Finnlaggan (Single malt Islay, likely Lagavulin)
Big Peat (Vatting of several Islay whisky's)
Peat Monster (Islay Blend)

There's a couple more that I can't remember off-hand, but this should get you started.

P.S: someone mentioned Glen Moray Don't want to knock anyone's recommendation but I did not care for it at all.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
As the story's told, my father's best friend never had a chance to meet his grandfather. Blame the weather, blame bad luck, blame Andrew Volstead, or blame Al Capone, his boss; his death was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

On a dark rainy night, his Model T was packed with rye whiskey from Iowa and headed toward Chicago. The wheels sank into the soft ground along a commonly-used runner's road. He walked to a nearby farmhouse to ask for help, and was subsequently shot in the gut by the homeowner.

This brings me to the beer I tried on Thursday night. Boulevard has released their Rye on Rye, a Rye ale that is aged in charred oak barrels formerly housing Templeton Rye. It happened to be on tap at one of my favorite establishments, The Rusty Horse Tavern in Parkville, MO. While I had a 750ml bottle of it sitting in the fridge at home, I knew I had to try it, and I knew what I had to do.

I paired it with two fingers of Templeton Rye, neat.

I had never tried Templeton Rye, but now it's one of my new favorites. The nose is dignified, but amazingly full. It's everything you could ask from a rye, with strong tobacco, vanilla, and leather notes.

I wish I had a room that smelled of nothing but a freshly-emptied rocks glass of Templeton Rye.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Frankston posted:

I got a package today

Always someone else in this thread to make me jealous. Nice haul! Let me know how that Glenfiddich 18 turns out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Frankston posted:

I got a package today

You can buy this stuff online?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You can buy this stuff online?

What whiskeys can't you buy online?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

What whiskeys can't you buy online?

This is probably going to be bad for my wallet, but is there like an Amazon place I can get like, those tiny little bottles of whiskey online? You know, the little like sampler size ones that hobos buy and litter everywhere.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I always use Master of Malt and The Whiskey Exchange.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Is there an American site? $32 just to ship two bottles is kind of...

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Cheap islay or islay-inspired, in no particular order:
Black Bottle (Islay blend)
Black Grouse (Islay cask finished blend)
Six Isles (Vatting of all-island whisky, including Islay)
Smoke Head (Single malt Islay, likely Ardbeg)
Finnlaggan (Single malt Islay, likely Lagavulin)
Big Peat (Vatting of several Islay whisky's)
Peat Monster (Islay Blend)

I had a fifth of Black Grouse I picked up out of state over the holidays (NC only carries handles, for some reason), and really enjoyed it. You're not going to mistake it for a single malt, but if you have an itch for peat and a $20 in your pocket, it'll do.

It's one of the few >$30 scotches that I would buy alongside >$30 bourbons.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

US liquor laws suck and keep us from having nice things.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tigren posted:

US liquor laws suck and keep us from having nice things.

Works both ways, it's a drag getting the rarer bourbons here, forget about rye.

Maybe a goon liquor exchange program is in order.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just about every state which isn't governed by a beverage control entity will allow shipping from an online shop within that state. For inter-state shipping, it varies...some states like California are easier to ship to.

Major US online bottle shops include BevMo and Binny's. Ones local to me that will ship to some states are D&M, K&L, and Beltramo's.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
+1 for Black Grouse as an affordable, tastey blend. My wife and I have also enjoyed Monkey Shoulder (when we can find it).

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I get mine from Master of Malt. Excellent website and great service if anyone is thinking about using them.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I just had a neat discovery. Staying at my grandmother's for the new year, where my brother lives too now to help her out, and was talking with my sister in law about what we need to get for a New Year's Eve get together. I decided to check the high cabinet where my grandfather used to keep the liquor. Found an open bottle of wine which had been there for maybe 20 years and got immediately dumped, half bottles of cognac(cork sealed) and amaretto(capped) which I guess won't be noxious but probably aren't much good, and then three unopened boxed bottles of Old Granddad he probably got as gifts when he was in local political office during the 1980s. Not like it ages any in the bottle, of course, but guess we don't need bourbon this year.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nice find, even though they stop aging old bottles of booze are generally better than their modern day counterparts.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I drove past Imperial distillery earlier on which is in the process of being demolished. If I'm at all fit enough tomorrow I'll go back and get some video.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I was lamenting the fact I didn't have a bottle of the Balvenie Double Wood after Christmas the other day while sat in the pub with a few mates. So I turn to the other guy in the group who likes whisky and ask if he got any bottles for Christmas. Yeah, he says, the Double Wood! Looks like I'll be doing some trading.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Theres a new 17 year old Doublewood out. Very tasty.

Got a single cask Glendronach from 93. Sherried perfection.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

biglads posted:

Theres a new 17 year old Doublewood out. Very tasty.

Got a single cask Glendronach from 93. Sherried perfection.

Glendronach seems to be getting a lot of attention lately. I'm sorely tempted to pick up the 15 Y0 Revival.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What do goons think of McIVOR? It's a scotch whiskey and of the cheaper stuff I kind of like it! It's smooth.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

NightConqueror posted:

Glendronach seems to be getting a lot of attention lately. I'm sorely tempted to pick up the 15 Y0 Revival.

The Glendronach 15 is very nice. I prefer it to the 18 which is still very nice but a little over oaked for me.

E: Glendronach is as a rule quite the sherry bomb, so if that isn't your thing then look elsewhere.

biglads fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 2, 2013

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

kidsafe posted:

Jefferson's is a bottler and not a distillery, so they have to buy their new make spirit or barrels from actual distillers like Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Make's Mark, etc. The Stitzel-Weller "Van Winkle" distillery stopped distilling in 1991. Even though the stills had gone silent, they had huge vats/tanks full of Stitzel-Weller distillate to sell off. So I'm guessing Jefferson's bought some in the early 90s and put them in their own casks.

Suffice to say, there's very little of it left today...if you bought a new batch of Pappy Van Winkle 23yr today, you'd be getting something that is some Stitzel-Weller juice and some Buffalo Trace distillate. The 12 and 15yr products are completely Buffalo Trace.

I saw this in the store today and they were marked $80. I am thinking about heading back and grabbing a bottle, because there is no way in hell I will get Pappy.

The reviews online say do it. I have never paid that much for a bourbon, but I think I may this time.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Have you guys seen this hit the stores yet? http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/index.php/2012/10/12/4269/george-dickel-rolls-out-a-new-rye/

I've been on a big rye kick lately and at 95% rye mash bill bottled at 90proof I want it so bad.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Have you guys seen this hit the stores yet? http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/index.php/2012/10/12/4269/george-dickel-rolls-out-a-new-rye/

I've been on a big rye kick lately and at 95% rye mash bill bottled at 90proof I want it so bad.

Seen it in Illinois, haven't tried it. I'm not a huge Tennessee Whiskey guy, but this particular rye has gotten good reviews it seems. $25ish is enough for a buy, I think. If it's not great for sipping, it's always good to toss in cocktails. I don't know if it'll beat out my standby of Rittenhouse 100.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I picked up a Talisker 10 today, hadn't tasted it before. Delicious! So much flavour it's impressive. It's funny I can actually recognise the flavor of Talisker from Johnnie Walker Black which I'm very familiar with.

Also picked up a Glenfiddich 15 Solera over christmas, which I also enjoyed.

Cellophane S fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 5, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Wish they stuck with that simple old box and label. This is the one they introduced last year and has been slowly making it into shops.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

kidsafe posted:

Wish they stuck with that simple old box and label. This is the one they introduced last year and has been slowly making it into shops.

Yeah that's the one I got, nice enough I suppose but the old one is more elegant.

But what's inside the bottle is still great :)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I didn't like Laphroaig 10 years due to being too smokey, I liked Highland Park 15 for deep and caramelly flavors, Macallen 10 years Fine Oak for a light introductory body with enough smokeyness to be interesting, Balvenie Caribbean Cask for vanillaness and sparky kind of flavor. I'm totally open to recommendations for something else interesting up to $80ish.

Yamazaki 12 years was really good too, but from what people have told me it's pretty out there.

Any recommendations to help me develop my scotch tastes? Toying with Caol Ila but not sure which one, simply to branch out.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

MJP posted:

So I didn't like Laphroaig 10 years due to being too smokey, I liked Highland Park 15 for deep and caramelly flavors, Macallen 10 years Fine Oak for a light introductory body with enough smokeyness to be interesting, Balvenie Caribbean Cask for vanillaness and sparky kind of flavor. I'm totally open to recommendations for something else interesting up to $80ish.

Yamazaki 12 years was really good too, but from what people have told me it's pretty out there.

Any recommendations to help me develop my scotch tastes? Toying with Caol Ila but not sure which one, simply to branch out.
If Laphroaig is too smoky and you characterize Macallan Fine Oak as having smoke, then I'm afraid Caol Ila, Ardbeg and Kilchoman will also be too much for you. Lagavulin 16 may have enough other flavors to mask some of its smokiness, but probably not. Just behind those is Bowmore, and Talisker...there's also peated expressions of Jura and blended malts like Peat Monster that aren't quite as smoky as typical Islays.

Yamazaki is definitely not "out there." It's the opposite, it's so immaculate and perfect, some people will knock it for lacking such intangibles as 'charm' and 'character.'

Possibly try one of the following next: Bunnahabhain, AnCnoc, Oban, Springbank, Glenfarclas, Glendronach, Glengoyne, Clynelish

If you're adventurous, try Amrut from India. I especially like their limited Intermediate Sherry release, but that one is just out of your price range and hard to find now.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 6, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

MJP posted:

If you didn't like Laphroaig, you might not like Caol Ila. Maybe Bunnahabhain 12 would be fun to try since it is still an Islay but it is definitely the tamest of the Islays. Aberlour A'bunadh or Glendronach 15 would be nice if you wanted to explore the sherry finished scotches. Old Pultney or Clynelish are great coastal highlands if you wanted to explore something similar to Highland Park.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

MJP posted:

Bunnahabhain 12 is a solid choice - I bought a bottle on a whim once, and it was not what I expected, but I was still pleased with the purchase. I personally love the peaty Islays, and the Bunnahabhain isn't anywhere near the rest in that regard, but it's still smoky enough to taste. Aberlour A'bunadh or Glenlivet Nadurra (both cask strength) also spring to mind as good values within your price range and taste preferences. Nadurra is actually only $39.99 at my local Costco right now, though I'm not sure if their prices are consistent at all stores.

Caol Ila is awesome IMO, but not really any milder than Laphroaig.

FasterThanLight fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

FasterThanLight posted:

Bunnahabhain 12 is a solid choice - I bought a bottle on a whim once, and it was not what I expected, but I was still pleased with the purchase. I personally love the peaty Islays, and the Bunnahabhain isn't anywhere near the rest in that regard, but it's still smoky enough to taste. Aberlour A'bunadh or Glenlivet Nadurra (both cask strength) also spring to mind as good values within your price range and taste preferences. Nadurra is actually only $39.99 at my local Costco right now, though I'm not sure if their prices are consistent at all stores.

Caol Ila is awesome IMO, but not really any milder than Laphroaig.

I'll toss Nadurra out there too. I got it for a good price, and am really enjoying it. It's much, much different than the base Glenlivet 12 and has quite a bit of depth to it. It retails some places for ~$70, but it can be had for around $50.