Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

David Frum posted:

Over the past generation, American society has closed route after route into the middle class. Wages are stagnant, upward mobility has slowed, job security has deterior­ated, higher education has become more expensive, and two-parent families have dwindled. Meanwhile, we have opened more and more roads to self-harm. Must we now open another?
Am I getting concern trolled by David loving Frum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
The fact that David Frum's poo poo pieces were actually published by Newsweek demonstrates pretty well why nobody liked them. Him and Niall Ferguson both odious morons that they regularly gave space for which they browbeat the reader from for not holding the same views as themselves, given the magazine's center-left (by American standards at least) political stance.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Crasscrab posted:

The fact that David Frum's poo poo pieces were actually published by Newsweek demonstrates pretty well why nobody liked them. Him and Niall Ferguson both odious morons that they regularly gave space for which they browbeat the reader from for not holding the same views as themselves, given the magazine's center-left (by American standards at least) political stance.

Every time one of my profs would make us read an article by Ferguson on how American military hegemony was totally the best thing that ever happened to the planet, or about how sad we should all be that the cold war was over, presenting it as a valid, thoughtful viewpoint, I would die a little inside. His reaction to this election has been the sweetest of sweet conservative tears.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

lil mortimer posted:

1340 AM from 9 to 10 AM during the week. I'm in Palm Beach County, though, and the show broadcasts from Lake Worth. I don't know if you guys get it.

http://www.wpbr1340am.com/

It's this

Pretty funny sandwiched between all those other shows.

Found a link: http://wpbriradio.com/cm/blogs/derek-black

I put this on on my laptop to see what sort of filth it was, then fell asleep. Woke up to some racist ranting, thought it was some other thing I listened to and almost threw my laptop across the room in a fit of anger.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Those of you hating on Frum are ignoring the fact that he's one of the few NeoCons to develop an actual brain and thought process against the current GOP. Hell, he posted that NY Mag piece on the GOP being so drat crazy before the election, and all he has done since is advocate for the party to stop being such a bunch of insane blowhards. He's pro-gay marriage and pro-environment, which is better than the vast majority of his party. Don't bully the lesser of two evils here. Do you really want the Mark Levins of the world having more say over the GOP than the Frums? Hint: One is willing to compromise.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

Those of you hating on Frum are ignoring the fact that he's one of the few NeoCons to develop an actual brain and thought process against the current GOP. Hell, he posted that NY Mag piece on the GOP being so drat crazy before the election, and all he has done since is advocate for the party to stop being such a bunch of insane blowhards. He's pro-gay marriage and pro-environment, which is better than the vast majority of his party. Don't bully the lesser of two evils here. Do you really want the Mark Levins of the world having more say over the GOP than the Frums? Hint: One is willing to compromise.

Doesn't matter if you're the most rational man in the madhouse when you still think the Bilderberg Group put a chip in your molar that makes you scream at lamp posts.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, Frum is sometimes worth reading (to me) and, even if you think he isn't you have to admit he's better than 99% of conservative columnists. (Okay he's barely worth reading but I still do it sometimes.)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheGreyGhost posted:

gently caress's wrong with you? He's not the lesser of two evils, he's the savvier of two evils. The right needs to be crushed.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

TheGreyGhost posted:

Frum is a scumbag who supported the worst of Bush's policy decisions, including the Iraq War. He may not be tinfoil hat crazy like the Tea Party, but he's still a hardline neocon who believes in American hegemony and military interventions. I mean, it says something about the modern GOP the David Frum could be considered "one of the good ones", and to his credit he did try to sound the alarm when the Tea Party lunacy machine was revving up in 2008-2010, but that doesn't mean his ideology is any less odious then it was in 2003 when he was writing about how Iraq was part of the "Axis of Evil".

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

colonelslime posted:

Frum is a scumbag who supported the worst of Bush's policy decisions, including the Iraq War. He may not be tinfoil hat crazy like the Tea Party, but he's still a hardline neocon who believes in American hegemony and military interventions. I mean, it says something about the modern GOP the David Frum could be considered "one of the good ones", and to his credit he did try to sound the alarm when the Tea Party lunacy machine was revving up in 2008-2010, but that doesn't mean his ideology is any less odious then it was in 2003 when he was writing about how Iraq was part of the "Axis of Evil".

You can argue how odious his past decisions are all day, and I won't rebuke any of that. He's been an absolute tool and a half in that respect. My point is that Frum is markedly better than most of the lunatics mentioned in this thread on account of his lack of tinfoil. He's not Alex Jones, Mark Levin, or Michael loving Savage, and he's not nearly the problem that any of those three represent. If I'm picking who I take down in right wing media first, it's the Medveds of the world.

Speaking of Medved, have a terrible column: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/12/28/the-liberal-god-delusion.html

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SedanChair posted:

gently caress's wrong with you? He's not the lesser of two evils, he's the savvier of two evils. The right needs to be crushed.

Ra-loving-men, man. And I mean this politically. The Republican Party is a poison in the world right now, doing serious damage. That poo poo needs to be purged.

Can anyone recommend a general interest Wingnut/Paulian/Republican discussion website other than Freep, Redstate, and Brietbart? I'm looking for some alternatives.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Frum is enjoyable specifically because he's losing his mind in apostasy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

redshirt posted:

Can anyone recommend a general interest Wingnut/Paulian/Republican discussion website other than Freep, Redstate, and Brietbart? I'm looking for some alternatives.

TexAgs is full of proper shitheads. It's primarily an A&M football board, but the politics forum and some of the others are full of libertarians and social regressives and all manner of terrible people.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

TexAgs is full of proper shitheads. It's primarily an A&M football board, but the politics forum and some of the others are full of libertarians and social regressives and all manner of terrible people.

Little Green Footballs is another world class rear end in a top hat community.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crasscrab posted:

I thought the guy who ran that had a change of heart.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Crasscrab posted:

I thought the owners of that site went to the edge and stared at the abyss. Then they turned back to slightly more palatable positions.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I haven't followed them for awhile, so it's possible. But I do know that Moonbattery is still poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Crasscrab posted:

I haven't followed them for awhile, so it's possible. But I do know that Moonbattery is still poo poo.

Moonbattery is one of my favorite sites because its amusing to watch a genuine lunatic criticize everyone else for being insane. Its has to be the blackest pot in a world of kettles.

"Look at this liberal moonbat psycho who thinks the solution to crime is greater social welfare and not posses of armed men and public executions"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

This article is terrible, but goddamn it might have my favorite title of any pundit screed ever written.

Smoke Pot, Ban Guns, Kill Kids

It's like when reality and parodies from the political cartoons thread merge.

I just want to say I really love the crazy eyes on this one. That picture makes the article so much better.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Well it is a bunch of Aggies.:rimshot:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

That's not even close to true at least for the past 3 years.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

colonelslime posted:

He's going to get lumped in as a liberal in sheep's clothing for not supporting the crazy party line anyway so if the left doesn't attack him then it just lends credibility to the idea that liberals like him.

It's not the left squeezing rational conservatives out of the Republican party, it's the new "moderate" form of the right.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
When it comes to hating David Frum, you're either with us or against us. Simple as that. :smug:

Don't make me put you on the Axis of Evil.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Joementum posted:

Frum is enjoyable specifically because he's losing his mind in apostasy.

That's only entertaining for so long, though.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Crasscrab posted:

Well, seems like the guy who runs LGF did a 180 at about the time the tea party craze picked up:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/35243_Why_I_Parted_Ways_With_The_Right

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
In more "We are so loving persecuted :qq:" news, the new Rove talking point apparently is that secret money is important in elections because conservatives groups are facing the same kind of discrimination and intimidation that the NAACP faced in the 50's, and people who want disclosure are in fact segregationists.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/12/30/168216783/conservatives-invoke-naacp-case-in-fight-for-secret-donors

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Amused to Death posted:

In more "We are so loving persecuted :qq:" news, the new Rove talking point apparently is that secret money is important in elections because conservatives groups are facing the same kind of discrimination and intimidation that the NAACP faced in the 50's, and people who want disclosure are in fact segregationists.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/12/30/168216783/conservatives-invoke-naacp-case-in-fight-for-secret-donors

I hope someone tries to push this, and it gets to the Supreme Court, and they laugh right in Rove's face.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

colonelslime posted:

I hope someone tries to push this, and it gets to the Supreme Court, and they laugh right in Rove's face.

Even Scalia gets it this time:

Justice Scalia posted:

"Running a democracy takes a certain amount of civic courage. And the First Amendment does not protect you from criticism, or even nasty phone calls."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

Even Scalia gets it this time:

Scalia is never one to let his past judicial decisions influence his future ones though, especially when it's ruling in favor of his sideTM.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I think my personal favorite right wing moment of 2012 was this: http://www.queerty.com/right-wing-analyst-says-nate-silver-is-too-much-of-a-sissy-to-crunch-poll-data-20121031/

quote:

Nate Silver is a man of very small stature, a thin and effeminate man with a soft-sounding voice that sounds almost exactly like the “Mr. New Castrati” voice used by Rush Limbaugh on his program.
In fact, Silver could easily be the poster child for the New Castrati in both image and sound. Nate Silver, like most liberal and leftist celebrities and favorites, might be of average intelligence but is surely not the genius he’s made out to be. His political analyses are average at best and his projections, at least this year, are extremely biased in favor of the Democrats.

Of course, Nate's "effeminate" methods consisted basically of averaging polls - it's just a lot of number crunching based on actual data. Nothing really fancy - but a lot of busywork.

Anyway, when it turned out reality had a liberal bias: http://www.businessinsider.com/unskewed-pollster-dean-chambers-nate-silver-election-dick-morris-michael-barone-2012-11#ixzz2GaUz42yV

quote:

"Nate Silver was right, and I was wrong," Chambers said in a phone interview.
Chambers' method of "unskewing" polls involved re-weighting the sample to match what he believed the electorate would look like, in terms of party identification. He thought the electorate would lean more Republican when mainstream pollsters routinely found samples that leaned Democratic.
But as it turned out, the pollsters were right — self-identified Democrats outnumbered Republicans by 6% in election exit polls.

They're being nice here, but the "unskewing" method is literally just ham-fisting facts to match what you want them to be.

In other words, the unskewed methods didn't work because they were "too macho." :allears:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Spacedad posted:

I think my personal favorite right wing moment of 2012 was this: http://www.queerty.com/right-wing-analyst-says-nate-silver-is-too-much-of-a-sissy-to-crunch-poll-data-20121031/

Of course, Nate's "effeminate" methods consisted basically of averaging polls - it's just a lot of number crunching based on actual data. Nothing really fancy - but a lot of busywork.

Anyway, when it turned out reality had a liberal bias: http://www.businessinsider.com/unskewed-pollster-dean-chambers-nate-silver-election-dick-morris-michael-barone-2012-11#ixzz2GaUz42yV

They're being nice here, but the "unskewing" method is literally just ham-fisting facts to match what you want them to be.

In other words, the unskewed methods didn't work because they were "too macho." :allears:

Why you trying to interpret those numbers and read those words? You a fag or somethin?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

BiggerBoat posted:

Why you trying to interpret those numbers and read those words? You a fag or somethin?

Yes, and enjoying when over-macho homophobic-hetero male privilege falls apart as the weak little house of cards it is. :laugh:

What, you mean clenching my buttocks and flexing my pecs real hard as I strain to speak in a deep voice actually DOESN'T make my research more valid? :tizzy:

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

lil mortimer posted:

1340 AM from 9 to 10 AM during the week. I'm in Palm Beach County, though, and the show broadcasts from Lake Worth. I don't know if you guys get it.

http://www.wpbr1340am.com/

It's this

Pretty funny sandwiched between all those other shows.

Found a link: http://wpbriradio.com/cm/blogs/derek-black

Seems like this prick will be going off the air soon:

quote:

Don Black, the founder of Stormfront, the oldest and largest white nationalist forum, is apparently trying to figure out what to do with his and his son Derek’s radio show, “The Derek Black Show.”

In a recent Stormfront thread, Black noted that as of January 20, 2013, the ownership of south Florida’s WPBR, the surprisingly Haitian-oriented station where the Black show which caters to white racists is based, changes. However, he said that the current owner would like Black to stay with the internet broadcasting service after January 20, but Black isn’t sure he wants to do that, and said that he may end the show because of a recent “screw-up,” he said, with the radio show’s archives.

According to Black, longtime conspiracist and broadcaster Jeff Rense has offered his network to Black, which is “less expensive,” Black says, and provides a separate server for smartphones. The Rense network also harbors David Duke’s radio show. But even that doesn’t appear to be a perfect solution, because Black is worried about scheduling with his current hosts and, ultimately, he says, “I never intended to do this show, not even going into the station when we first set it up for Derek three years ago.”

Don’s son, Derek, is currently attending New College in Florida and has not been active on the radio show in some time. Recently, there have been questions about Derek’s commitment to the racist views of his father. In response to student concerns at the college he attends, Derek posted in an online student forum that he is not a white supremacist, supports gay marriage and is pro-choice.

Perhaps Derek is signing on with his mother, Chloe Black? She told the Palm Beach Post in 2008, “I am not involved with the Web site [Stormfront] and do not agree with extremist or racially prejudiced views.” When queried recently by Hatewatch about these rather unorthodox statements given Derek’s long history of white activism, Derek confirmed that he had made them. But he also claimed that he still thinks multiculturalism is harmful to whites and that he still believes in white nationalism.

While the fate of the show remains unknown, Don Black encouraged anyone who wanted to save “the over 600 shows archived by the station” to do so now. He did say he’d put the archived shows on the Stormfront servers, but he’s not sure what arrangement will remain with the station.

It is unclear if fundraising issues are contributing to the current situation. According to Stormfront, the site is today about $2,500 away from receiving enough donations to cover its monthly expenses of $7,500. That number includes the cost of the radio program.

Prominent Stormfronters were downbeat. Al Kelz, one of several Stormfront supporters recently contacted by the SPLC regarding their reasons for backing the site, posted, “We took over a small part of the enemies airwaves and used them to broadcast our message to a much wider audience. An audience that would never read SF [Stormfront], or other WN [White Nationalist] sites…I had hoped the show would be syndicated. But every time we got a chance, The Jewsual, I mean usual suspects complained and the results were as disappointing as they were inevitable.”

Kelz ended his posting lamenting his financial difficulties and how they were contributing to those of Stormfront. “I don’t care about me but this is yet another WN project that must go under because of my financial collapse. I accept full responsibility for the loss of the show and for the loss of Guilt Free Radio.”
http://www.salon.com/2012/12/30/white_nationalist_radio_program_going_off_the_air/

From the way that article is written, it looks like they actually have to pay to get that trash on the air, rather than the other way around.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Looks like people have been jumping off the "Stop Obama Express" - http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/sean-hannity-big-loser-2012-election-article-1.1228269

Daily News posted:

"In a fitting coda to 2012, we’ve learned that the ratings for rock-ribbed conservative Sean Hannity cratered after Barack Obama won his second term, with viewers tuning out the Fox News Channel talk-show host in droves.
According to Nielsen numbers, Hannity lost around half of his audience in the weeks after the election, while his Fox News colleague Bill O’Reilly — who steadfastly refuses to identify himself politically as a conservative — retained around 70% of his audience.

I get a perverse joy out of seeing his ratings crumble...I just wish the guys radio ratings would fall like his Fox News Channel Neilsens have.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Seems like this prick will be going off the air soon:

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/30/white_nationalist_radio_program_going_off_the_air/

From the way that article is written, it looks like they actually have to pay to get that trash on the air, rather than the other way around.

Even though it's maybe just a smokescreen, I do really hope that Derek Black is drifting away from his father and changing his views. Breaking away from that kind of indoctrination isn't easy, but I'd like to hope it's possible for people like him to have a sincere change of heart when they leave the bubble.

Hot Yellow KoolAid
Aug 17, 2012

bigtom posted:

Looks like people have been jumping off the "Stop Obama Express" - http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/sean-hannity-big-loser-2012-election-article-1.1228269

I get a perverse joy out of seeing his ratings crumble...I just wish the guys radio ratings would fall like his Fox News Channel Neilsens have.

More than likely, this was the result of his ratings being inflated in the weeks leading up to the election. What we are seeing here is just a return to normalcy (unless his ratings are different from where they were a year ago)...

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Something to keep an eye on here. The Tribune Company (owners of the LA Times, Chicago Tribune and other newspapers and tv stations) just emerged today after 4 years in bankruptcy. And in naming their new board, they named a lot of people associated with News Corp., fueling further speculation that Murdoch is gonna buy at least the newspaper part of Tribune:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/12/tribune-co-names-news-corpheavy-board-amid-rumors-153045.html#.UOHLAe21HiQ.twitter

Also, I know those radio shows usually take a ratings dip post-election. But I heard that certain stations in some cases didn't even rise this time to begin with.

hotgreenpeas
Apr 12, 2008

colonelslime posted:

Even though it's maybe just a smokescreen, I do really hope that Derek Black is drifting away from his father and changing his views. Breaking away from that kind of indoctrination isn't easy, but I'd like to hope it's possible for people like him to have a sincere change of heart when they leave the bubble.

I am shocked that a white supremacist conservative let his son go to New College of Florida. Not that mostly-white, hippie, liberal arts colleges don't have their share of clueless racists, but unless things have really changed in the last few years, NCF is basically the Hampshire College of the South. Not exactly a comfortable and accepting environment for neo-nazis.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hotgreenpeas posted:

I am shocked that a white supremacist conservative let his son go to New College of Florida. Not that mostly-white, hippie, liberal arts colleges don't have their share of clueless racists, but unless things have really changed in the last few years, NCF is basically the Hampshire College of the South. Not exactly a comfortable and accepting environment for neo-nazis.

I am shocked by nothing, any longer.

The question becomes - is there any way to roll these fools back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I am shocked by nothing, any longer.

The question becomes - is there any way to roll these fools back?

Yes. When someone in your presence announces that they're a neo-Nazi, you kick the poo poo out of them. And when they come back the next time and talk about how you just used violence to oppress them and haven't really refuted their argument, you kick the poo poo out of them again.

There really is only one way to properly communicate with neo-Nazis.