Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

But what if I want to wear a black and yellow striped helmet with a mirror visor?

only if you have pink laces and a 69/99 jersey.

Santa brought me new blue waxed laces. They were a bitch but feel oh so good now that they're on my skates.
And a new stick and socks. 60 flex with the Stamkos curve. I think it's an intermediate bauer nexus 600. It's wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Nope I love zetterberg pattern, the one I lost was a Hall pattern which sucked. Haha. If I like this one a bunch I might go pick up a few more. Need to get it in and go find some pickup to try it out.

Love my Widows, but they went a bit soft sooner then I was happy with.

I'm in LA until the 2nd if theres any hockey going on?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You've got about 10x the force going into your stick on shots than I do so hopefully mine will last a little longer!

I get back into town tomorrow and I'll start digging around. Right now the only chance I can see is maybe my buddy's team in Valencia that plays in the gold level up there. A very good skate. Not sure I could keep up honestly. You'd have no problem of course. I'm just not sure if they're even skating this week...

I'll let you know

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Holiday breaks suck. Pickup does not fulfill my need for competition.

Our league started using pointstreak for stats and billing. I see lots of leagues and teams and whatever, but I'm curious if this is a defacto standard or what other stats tracking software is used.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

You've got about 10x the force going into your stick on shots than I do so hopefully mine will last a little longer!

I get back into town tomorrow and I'll start digging around. Right now the only chance I can see is maybe my buddy's team in Valencia that plays in the gold level up there. A very good skate. Not sure I could keep up honestly. You'd have no problem of course. I'm just not sure if they're even skating this week...

I'll let you know

Hope we can skate, I need the ice time.

You still have my #?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Benson Cunningham posted:

But what if I want to wear a black and yellow striped helmet with a mirror visor?

I have a plum helmet and a mirrored visor.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Santa brought me a new stick, hockey socks and my first clinic session is Jan. 6 :woop:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Rented the ice for tomorrow night, and worked hard all week to find 2 goalies - most of our usual guys are out for the long holiday weekend. I managed to get everything sorted just before noon today.

Now the forecast is calling for a decent amount of snow, with the peak of the storm running from a few hours before to a few hours after the ice time. How long until the first "cant make it" email rolls in?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey players bitching about driving in snow aren't really hockey players anyways.

"oh, I can sprint around on a sheet of ice with nothing to stop me but razor blades and solid walls, but as soon as a couple snowflakes hit the asphalt that's where I draw the line. :qq:"

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

Hockey players bitching about driving in snow aren't really hockey players anyways.

"oh, I can sprint around on a sheet of ice with nothing to stop me but razor blades and solid walls, but as soon as a couple snowflakes hit the asphalt that's where I draw the line. :qq:"

I made this a few years ago, we had a team practice ice time from the league, but it had snowed that night so no one else showed up... In Vancouver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY06CZF_MDQ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, Vancouver is basically the Canadian Seattle, and Seattle inhabitants are legendary in their capacity to lose their poo poo whenever there's snow. I don't think any other city in the world shuts down as completely.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

To be fair, Vancouver is basically the Canadian Seattle, and Seattle inhabitants are legendary in their capacity to lose their poo poo whenever there's snow. I don't think any other city in the world shuts down as completely.

Have you been to the south?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I should have clarified, "no city that actually gets measurable snowfall on an annual basis".

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Apparently one of our goalies is 'not a real hockey player'
Shooter Tutor may have a better lifetime SV% anyway :argh:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Have you ever tried to drive around Seattle after it snows? The place is rather hilly and doesn't have much of a plow fleet.

The streets downtown can range from a 5% to 20% grade and they can't use salt on the ice on the roads because of the salmon.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 30, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

He should have clarified, "inhabitants including the local salmon"

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

Have you ever tried to drive around Seattle after it snows? The place is rather hilly and doesn't have much of a plow fleet.

The streets downtown can range from a 5% to 20% grade and they can't use salt on the ice on the roads because of the salmon.
Seattle has good public transit, though, right? I'd hope so.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Gio posted:

The busses slide down the hills too.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

D C posted:

The busses slide down the hills too.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of light rail and stuff.

e: I live in Detroit so I literally have no conception of public transit.

Gio fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 30, 2012

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Gio posted:

Well I was thinking more along the lines of light rail and stuff.

e: I live in Detroit so I literally have no conception of public transit.

Nope, only busses, there is 1 rail line but its only for the airport.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Gio posted:

Here's what the buses do.
http://youtu.be/rhZCyQ3emQg?t=3m13s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you can't use salt (and why not, salmon loving live in salt water, so use sea salt on your roads instead if the chemical crap) then use gravel. Or buy a plow fleet. I know Seattle typically only gets one big snow a year, but it does such an amazing job shutting the city down you'd think they'd find a solution.

I lived in the Seattle region for several years, and their behavior still confuses me.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

SAS Hockey Player Thread: HockeyMonkey sales and salmon in Seattle

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Gio posted:

SAS Hockey Player Thread: HockeyMonkey sales and salmon in Seattle

And Goalies Who Dont Show In The Snow

13 out of 16 skaters, no goalies. Shooter tutors + a foam pad at the bottom made it work well enough.
Still had fun, but the ride home was rough. I think I ran over a salmon.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

If you can't use salt (and why not, salmon loving live in salt water, so use sea salt on your roads instead if the chemical crap) then use gravel. Or buy a plow fleet. I know Seattle typically only gets one big snow a year, but it does such an amazing job shutting the city down you'd think they'd find a solution.
Not all salmon live in salt water. Also just because they are born in salt water doesn't mean they can continue to survive in it.

Also you are concerned about more than just whether or not salmon can survive; they return to fresh water to reproduce. You mess with the life cycle putting salt in the water.

The salt is not there to provide traction. It lowers the freezing point so that the snow melts. Gravel doesn't do that because it doesn't dissolve.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

I lived in the Seattle region for several years, and their behavior still confuses me.

In addition to what coldwind said, since Seattle only gets one decent snow a year, why would you spend the millions of dollars on snow plows?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SAS Hockey Player Thread: Also you are concerned about more than just whether or not salmon can survive; they return to fresh water to reproduce.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Seattle gets more snowfall than xzzy gets league games yet xzzy has the full equipment to handle it. So naturally Seattle should do the same when it comes to snowfall.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Bradf0rd posted:

In addition to what coldwind said, since Seattle only gets one decent snow a year, why would you spend the millions of dollars on snow plows?

How many millions is lost the 4 days Seattle is at a stand still each year?

Also, weren't you how said Seattle were bad at this because of stupid hippies?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm guessing all the money Seattle isn't spending on snow plows is going into the bank accounts of random forum posters defending the emerald city's honor. :v:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

I'm guessing all the money Seattle isn't spending on snow plows is going into the bank accounts of random forum posters defending the emerald city's honor. :v:
What!? Others are getting paid!? Son of a bitch!!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anders posted:

This is a pretty remarkable sentence.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I'm a pretty remarkable guy :manning:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Anders posted:

I don't even know how to respond to this. I'm going to go with no.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does this seem like good advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WVf1ONvVI

Mostly curious about putting a hand on the guy and pushing or holding him back, will that get you whistled in a no-contact game?

Putting the low hand high on the stick to do a poke seems suspicious to me too. Does anyone actually do that.. it seems like you'd be giving up a lot in that case.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

3 weeks since my last game :negative:

In Colorado pond hockey news, I'm about to order our team's jerseys. These are gonna be ballin' as gently caress.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There's no such thing as a no contact game.

That should answer your question.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry, no checking.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

There's no such thing as a no contact game.

That should answer your question.

These kinda snarky comments are getting annoying and unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

xzzy posted:

Does this seem like good advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WVf1ONvVI

Mostly curious about putting a hand on the guy and pushing or holding him back, will that get you whistled in a no-contact game?

Putting the low hand high on the stick to do a poke seems suspicious to me too. Does anyone actually do that.. it seems like you'd be giving up a lot in that case.

This happens all the time and is perfectly legal in every league I've ever played in. The problem arises if the puck handler isn't skilled enough to remain standing after a little bump like that. If the ref sucks, or thinks you were primarily playing the body and not the puck you may get called.

Also, do adult checking leagues exist? I thought as a matter of policy, every adult league was technically "no checking."