Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I made the interior of a private jet a while ago but it wasn't needed in the end.

edit: poo poo, too big? it's an attachment and I cant edit it :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

I made the interior of a private jet a while ago but it wasn't needed in the end.

Uhhh is that machine-stitched leather? loving GROSS.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

This is making me really thirsty.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It looks great except (if you were looking for feedback) you can see on the seat cushion that the UVs get compressed on the side of the cushion and the stitches get really tiny. Otherwise really great textures and DOF!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

cubicle gangster posted:

Your renders always make me insanely jealous and want to learn more about Vray.

Since I know you are OCD about every little detail, I will point out the mint leaves look flat to me. Maybe it is just me but they look like they need bump or a normal map.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Flesh Forge posted:

It looks great except (if you were looking for feedback) you can see on the seat cushion that the UVs get compressed on the side of the cushion and the stitches get really tiny. Otherwise really great textures and DOF!

The stitches are all modeled - I made the mistake of making the seat in isolation and kinda hosed up the scale/didn't double check with the others :(
It was shortly after i'd figured it out so I was barrelling forward & not being as careful as I should have.
Just before I did this I spend a day or so doing r&d into fabric modeling and got a few things nailed, i'll post up a quick method if anyone's interested.

Good spot on the leaves sigma :)

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Also, that drink has way too many limes. How are you even supposed to drink that.

Just kidding, looks great. I love the SSS on the limes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there any reason why an IES light in V-Ray has such an abrupt fall-off outside the cone (which I guess is defined in the IES file)? It's smooth when using a light cache for primary bounces and enabling direct light storage. But rendering without any GI, it's like projecting a circle.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Is this a trick question? Without GI, no lights will bounce, right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GI isn't the issue. My IES lights are being crappy, i.e.:

If I were to use the light cache with direct light storage for all bounces, it goes away. Except that using LC everywhere ends up in lovely patterns all over the image. I stuffed the IES files into Maxwell for a test, and it works just fine there, as in a smooth fall-off.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

cubicle gangster posted:

This is amazing, that drink is actually making me thirsty. Do you find Vray to be more powerful than Mental Ray or just a lot easier to get results with? I've heard people say MR is the more powerful engine but the good poo poo all seems to be VR.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

I'm in the process of experimenting with a number of different ideas, both architectural and sculptural.
This is my latest quickie I churned out using Rhino V5 and 3ds Max rendered with Mental Ray. I call it "Widget".
I'm going to be upgrading to VRay soon so hopefully I'll be posting some more ideas when I get it...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't get what's wrong with V-Ray's own IES emitter. Left is the photometric light from 3dsmax, right the VRayIES light. I guess I'll be using the 3dsmax one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

When I want to chamfer the edges of a model, and the edge orientation isn't properly, it seems the respective tool won't work. Am I screwed or is there a function in 3dsmax that averages the rotation of all edges according to geometry? I turned a C-Ext in a mesh and the chamfer tool gives me grief.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for some feedback for this:

I've been doing 3d for about a year and a half now and this is my first full room scene. I didn't OCD it much at all, and at the moment it still seems somewhat too empty, but I don't want to spend another 50 hours just filling it with stuff because I wouldn't learn much from that. I'm open to criticism on pretty much anything you see here, from modelling to lighting and beyond. The final render will be much larger of course and with higher settings. The settings on this one were pretty high already.

edit: I should mention this was done in Max with Mental Ray.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 30, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like a framing issue to me. Just crop out the massive empty spaces at the top and bottom of the image and you should be fine.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Looks like a framing issue to me. Just crop out the massive empty spaces at the top and bottom of the image and you should be fine.

Yeah, something like this perhaps, but probably fit to a better resolution like 16:9

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good point, thanks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ervin K posted:

Looking for some feedback for this:

I've been doing 3d for about a year and a half now and this is my first full room scene. I didn't OCD it much at all, and at the moment it still seems somewhat too empty, but I don't want to spend another 50 hours just filling it with stuff because I wouldn't learn much from that. I'm open to criticism on pretty much anything you see here, from modelling to lighting and beyond. The final render will be much larger of course and with higher settings. The settings on this one were pretty high already.

edit: I should mention this was done in Max with Mental Ray.

The first thing that throws me off is the scale. Primarily the fixture/ceiling appears really low and the bent wood arm chair in the foreground seems really huge and if the person were to stand up they'd have to stoop to avoid hitting the ceiling.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

BonoMan posted:

The first thing that throws me off is the scale. Primarily the fixture/ceiling appears really low and the bent wood arm chair in the foreground seems really huge and if the person were to stand up they'd have to stoop to avoid hitting the ceiling.

I don't see that at all. It looks pretty standard, that's a big armchair :shobon:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jewel posted:

I don't see that at all. It looks pretty standard, that's a big armchair :shobon:

I disagree. That might be an appropriate size for some sort of oversized chair/one-and-a-half, but that type of chair is typically an smaller standardized office chair type of thing and it appears way too big for that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That film the guys at Portsmouth are working on is interesting. I like some of the stuff, including the character designs and the lighting. The facial mo-cap is freaking me out though, I'm getting the zombie Zemekis movie vibe. Are the bodies done with keyframe animation or motion capture? It seems there's noise in the motion that could be smoothed out.

But it's cool that you can take captured motion and apply it to rigged characters and tweak it.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

BonoMan posted:

I thought it was just me when I saw that, but I guess not.

A couple other things I noticed:
-The room looks empty because it is. You may be able to fill it up enough by just putting a rug below the coffee table, then cropping it like Jewel did.
-Cubicle Gangster is probably typing this as well right now, but the scene looks just a little dark. I increased the exposure by .75 in Photoshop and it looked about right to me, but YMMV.
-Don't forget the sky outside your windows.

I'm not a professional (yet) and am mostly self-taught, so you can take these with a grain of salt.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!

I work for a Japanese game developer making online Gundam games (GNO) and Gundam Masters and work from plastic models. I'd check the head a bit (probably the hardest part of the gundam.)

The shading and lighting look good, but if you want a more anime style look, we use 3DS Max and the ink and paint shader. Make a composite shader and in slot one put the paint and ink shader you made, in the second the texture you made. There are several settings you can alter, but definitely turn off the object ID option in the paint and ink shader options (keep the shading ID option on). Then alter the shading groups on each object to make the lines.

This is what you'll get. These were just random renders and not finished yet.

Actually taking a look at it and comparing it with this -

It looks a little off. Give it a look and change the scale a bit, good work though!

Edit: Actually, are you modelling a different version? Can you post your reference pictures? I searched RX-78-2 and they look different to what you modeled in several key areas.

Rekka fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 30, 2012

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Ccs posted:

That film the guys at Portsmouth are working on is interesting. I like some of the stuff, including the character designs and the lighting. The facial mo-cap is freaking me out though, I'm getting the zombie Zemekis movie vibe. Are the bodies done with keyframe animation or motion capture? It seems there's noise in the motion that could be smoothed out.

But it's cool that you can take captured motion and apply it to rigged characters and tweak it.

Bodies are mocapped, hands are key framed. I will mention the noise to the animation guys and see what they think.

Edit: Real movement is alot more noisy than animation, therefore motion capture will always be slightly more noisy. Is there a particular part of the sequence that strikes you as too noisy?

Skilbs fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 30, 2012

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

When I want to chamfer the edges of a model, and the edge orientation isn't properly, it seems the respective tool won't work. Am I screwed or is there a function in 3dsmax that averages the rotation of all edges according to geometry? I turned a C-Ext in a mesh and the chamfer tool gives me grief.

What do you mean exactly, gives you grief? Does it create N-gons where you have intersections of 5 or more edges, something like that? Can you show a picture?

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
made another render with some changes:

the blue carpet will probably go, too much carpet already and they're making the rest of the room look dark. I did re-size the chair a tiny bit because it did look big when i put it inside of the couch. I increased the brightness of the lamp and windows a little bit but the carpets counteracted that somewhat, I'll increase the brightness more but not by too much since it just seems mostly fine now. Thanks for all the comments so far.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I'm making this Glock and I'm not sure if I should combine all the small parts into one object so I could save UV space.

I think I'll make the extractor a separate object since it's metallic but it could work with all the flat plastic parts.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ervin K posted:

made another render with some changes:

the blue carpet will probably go, too much carpet already and they're making the rest of the room look dark. I did re-size the chair a tiny bit because it did look big when i put it inside of the couch. I increased the brightness of the lamp and windows a little bit but the carpets counteracted that somewhat, I'll increase the brightness more but not by too much since it just seems mostly fine now. Thanks for all the comments so far.

Chair is still too big, ceiling too low, light fixture appears too big (even if it's correctly sized... it's placement plus the low ceiling makes it look huge).

It's getting better for sure though. One odd thing is the placement of the armed chair. It's facing... nothing. Just an empty space in front of the camera. It looks a little unrealistic. Also with the rug right out in front of the coffee table instead of under it.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm making this Glock and I'm not sure if I should combine all the small parts into one object so I could save UV space.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't put the entire gun all on one UV sheet. They're tool small to warrant another texture sheet, and you should have plenty of room to squeeze them in, especially if you end up mirroring the main body of the gun.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I think I'll make the extractor a separate object since it's metallic but it could work with all the flat plastic parts.

Pretty much all modeling/rendering apps allow you to mix materials on the same object. Typically you just have to define polygon selections for each material, and then assign the material to the specific polygon selection.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Hazed_blue posted:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't put the entire gun all on one UV sheet. They're tool small to warrant another texture sheet, and you should have plenty of room to squeeze them in, especially if you end up mirroring the main body of the gun.

That's what I wasn't sure about. Does it matter what material each part of the gun is supposed to look like since I'm using images to affect texture or could I shove all of it into the same UV sheet?

VVVV Sorry, I meant that I was using images for normal and detail maps. I do plan on hand-painting it. Also, I found that function where I can layout multiple objects.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 31, 2012

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Action Tortoise posted:

That's what I wasn't sure about. Does it matter what material each part of the gun is supposed to look like since I'm using images to affect texture or could I shove all of it into the same UV sheet?

Why are you using images to texture it? It's not that hard to hand-paint a pistol. If it's not a game model then just use different materials/shaders for each part. You can use different materials/shaders on the same UV sheet just need to make sure the objects are seperate so you can apply different shaders.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 31, 2012

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BonoMan posted:

It's getting better for sure though. One odd thing is the placement of the armed chair. It's facing... nothing. Just an empty space in front of the camera. It looks a little unrealistic.

This bothered me too. Push the chair next to the speaker and put the computer on it, then it'll being something and making more sense than it's current placement.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Some super slow progress from me. Yes it is that model I started back in 1872!

Painting the diffuse:

I'm toying around with the backpack colour, I want there to be colour regions from top to bottom so it really has to be a kind of yellow or wheat or brown but I need to keep experimenting. Also the hair is going to be blonde when I get around to it :v:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Anyone have any suggestions for how I should go about modeling an insect/arthropod shell like a wood louse or lobster? It's driving me crazy.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for how I should go about modeling an insect/arthropod shell like a wood louse or lobster? It's driving me crazy.
I would probably model a single carapace section, instance it, and keep going. Once you're satisfied with the overall shape, you can de-instance the copies and start fleshing them out into a full-bodied shape. It might even be worth it to group them all into an FFD so that you can form the body up without having to go through each individual section.

Additionally, it would be easiest to start out with modelling in single-sided planes to get the shapes correct. Once you do, extrude to add your thickness.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
And it goes without saying but use symmetry a lot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Don't model ears, it sucks.

Especially don't try to model them to look good at 1x subdivision, it really sucks.

Is there a less appealing part of the body than the ear? gently caress ears right in their ear holes.
*strict rules in play: only quads, intersections of more than 5 edges are not allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Right, so with extruding and symmetry how should I go about matching my two guide planes?