Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

Speed bumps were knowingly put there and are a hazard. They should be banned to be honest, because they can damage vehicles easily that are obeying the speed limit not to mention things that have a reason to be exceeding it.

At least here in Finland, speed bumps' point is that speed is lowered even beyond the speed limit. I have never heard anyone even consider that it should be possible to drive through one at speed limit.

Of course, there still is the danger that when there is speed bump in the road drivers will stare at the bump instead of surroundings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Banemaster posted:

At least here in Finland, speed bumps' point is that speed is lowered even beyond the speed limit. I have never heard anyone even consider that it should be possible to drive through one at speed limit.

Of course, there still is the danger that when there is speed bump in the road drivers will stare at the bump instead of surroundings.

This. Whenever there are speed bumps in Denmark, the speed limit is reduced to (typically) 30 km/h, and you are expected to slow further down to 15-20 km/h when driving over one. They are also only used in residential areas outside of thoroughfares. I have never heard of problems with emergency vehicles tripping on them, most likely since if they need to cross any it's only on the very last leg of the trip.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Banemaster posted:

Then why don't they just lower the speed limit to the speed that it'd be safe to go over the speed bump? A person should be able to expect that following the speed limit would mean a safe speed on the road as it is, without undue risk of damage to vehicle, providing there aren't external factors like severe weather going.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Merry Boxing Day, all!

onemanlan posted:

So in my hometown of Birmingham, AL we have a terribly designed road-way, highway 280. It's a nice drive until you hit morning and evening rush hours where it's jam packed and sucks. Please tell me if this is part of the problem.

Also oddly the proposed ALDoT changes to 280 traffic involve eliminating left turn lanes/signals in favor of cross-lane u-turns further down the road. I'm not sure what the hell to think, but it doesn't sound better than our current morning clusterfuck that turns a normally 15 minute commute into 1 hour.

http://aldotapps.dot.state.al.us/US280/Proposed%20Layout.html

The big problem there seems to be the weaving just before that left turn. The whole interchange could be much better built as a single-point. Putting in median u-turns is another approach, and it's a tried-and-true thing. Better capacity, lower accident rate. It might seem strange, but a right turn and a u-turn are safer than a single left turn.

As far as speed bumps, I've already said my piece. Most modern traffic engineers see them as outdated as cloverleafs.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I don't see any speedbumps in this animated gif, so I'm not really sure what you're posting about here :colbert:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

I'll see your derail and raise you a real train wreck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0nb1g3xXP4&t=4m40s

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 27, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Aww, it doesn't model damage very well. Where are the telescoping passenger cars and exploding engines?

Kahta
Dec 31, 2006
How would you redesign I-295 through portland?

http://goo.gl/maps/c2Zol

I believe that there was supposed to be an upgrade to 6 lanes, but local residents believe that building train service for the 500 people that live north of Portland is a viable alternative.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Install Gentoo posted:

Then why don't they just lower the speed limit to the speed that it'd be safe to go over the speed bump? A person should be able to expect that following the speed limit would mean a safe speed on the road as it is, without undue risk of damage to vehicle, providing there aren't external factors like severe weather going.

I am not sure if the statement that 'speed limits always being a safe speed' is actually a given. For an extreme example, in the UK the "National Speed Limit" is 60mph for a single carriageway road in a non-urban area. The NSL applies whenever there are no signs that indicate what the current speed limit should be. This means that practically all single lane country roads, like this one, have a speed limit of 60mph. Obviously in reality you need to go much much slower.

Edit: In the UK speed bumps are explicitly defined in law. As long as they follow the regulatory dimensions in height and width and have the appropriate signage you cant sue for any damage caused by them.

nozz fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 27, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Cichlidae posted:

Aww, it doesn't model damage very well. Where are the telescoping passenger cars and exploding engines?

"Telescoping" seems almost like a polite euphemism for that...

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

I love how there's a jump cut the MOMENT of impact, so it's absolutely impossible to tell why they derailed.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Hedera Helix posted:

"Route conflict"

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

You mean like this, but with more flames?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Kahta posted:

How would you redesign I-295 through portland?

http://goo.gl/maps/c2Zol

I believe that there was supposed to be an upgrade to 6 lanes, but local residents believe that building train service for the 500 people that live north of Portland is a viable alternative.

I don't have much time to go into details, sadly, but I did drive through there twice this summer. Even under construction, it's still better than paying the toll on 95. The whole area feels like it was built in the 50s, and nearly every interchange is substandard. The first thing I'd do is cut out half of them to increase the spacing and weave distances. Then, I'd make sure lane continuity is maintained and try to upgrade/modernize the interchanges. Getting rid of the sharp curves is also good, but would require a ton of money.

Hedera Helix posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescoping_%28railway%29

Varance posted:

You mean like this, but with more flames?

Yeah. It's always horrible to see accidents (and even reconstructions), but there is a kind of savage glory to those kinetic sculptures of twisted steel.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So, is the Nutmeg game still going, or is that on hiatus until 2013?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

So, is the Nutmeg game still going, or is that on hiatus until 2013?

Oh yes. Now that you've numbered all the routes, it's time to think about the future. The most heavily traveled routes are crammed with carts and cars! This is the twentieth century, and we like to plan ahead. So why not plot out some new routes that are redundant to the existing ones, focusing on high-volume corridors?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Here's the original map:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

You all had better appreciate how long this took me to do:

Volume = thickness. You can approximate these same results with the gravity model!

What's the gravity model? Well, remember that gravitational attraction a = G * m1 * m2 / r^2. Now, we take that same equation and apply it (for no good reason) to traffic engineering: v = G * p1 * p2 / d^2, where v = the volume, G = some constant, p1 and p2 are the populations of each of the towns/cities in your network, and d is the distance along the road between p1 and p2. Thing get hairy when you have to start doing integration of every portion of a city, or developing multiple routes.

And here's Grey's road volume map for reference.

Edit: Sanctum REALLY needs another bridge!

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 29, 2012

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
How many bridges over the big river are allowed?

Also looks like there is a ton of interstate traffic.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
I found out earlier today that Pasco County, Florida and FDOT are looking into expanding this intersection. 3 lefts, 4 straights and 2 rights from all directions. I know this is Florida and our Republican masters don't want filthy taxes, but we can't build an overpass somehow? :stare:

Poor Bruce B. Downs. He never asked for this. Not with his name on it.

Varance fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 29, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Varance posted:

After this expansion, they'll need to name this particular intersection Down's Corner after John Langdon Down. In fact, I think you should suggest that to the local authorities.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 29, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

mamosodiumku posted:

How many bridges over the big river are allowed?

Also looks like there is a ton of interstate traffic.

I'll let you widen bridges at this point, but not build new ones. Connecticut didn't get a new crop of bridges until the 50s and 60s.

Varance posted:

I found out earlier today that Pasco County, Florida and FDOT are looking into expanding this intersection. 3 lefts, 4 straights and 2 rights from all directions. I know this is Florida and our Republican masters don't want filthy taxes, but we can't build an overpass somehow? :stare:

Christ. Florida really hates pedestrians, doesn't it? Putting in more lanes at this point will only offer a marginal improvement in capacity, at the expense of longer clearance intervals and reduced safety.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

I'll let you widen bridges at this point, but not build new ones. Connecticut didn't get a new crop of bridges until the 50s and 60s.

Oh god do it, that poor bridge in Sanctum :negative:

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

Merry Boxing Day, all!

The big problem there seems to be the weaving just before that left turn. The whole interchange could be much better built as a single-point. Putting in median u-turns is another approach, and it's a tried-and-true thing. Better capacity, lower accident rate. It might seem strange, but a right turn and a u-turn are safer than a single left turn.

As far as speed bumps, I've already said my piece. Most modern traffic engineers see them as outdated as cloverleafs.

Whats the issue with the weave? Can you elaborate more on that. I can tell you what happens in afternoon traffic, but I cannot understand why its an issue mathematically. You don't have to get all nitty gritty with it, but I'm curious as to why weaving is an issue there.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

Christ. Florida really hates pedestrians, doesn't it? Putting in more lanes at this point will only offer a marginal improvement in capacity, at the expense of longer clearance intervals and reduced safety.
Bonus points: the nearby exit ramp from I-75 onto SR56 (the east-west in that picture) is nearly 2 miles long. It typically takes between 30 minutes and an hour to get off the interstate. If anywhere in the bay area needs a DDI, that would be it.

Shops at Wiregrass, in the NE corner of the intersection, is a major mall. A mall with the typical indoor section replaced with roads.

Exurban planning at its worst.

We're supposed to get BRT out to Wiregrass from the university via Bruce B Downs by 2022 (the red line), with the bus bays and queue jumps going in now as they widen Bruce B Downs to 8 lanes... but with how pedestrian unfriendly the area is, I doubt it will see the use they expect from it. The green line from the university to downtown goes into operation this March. A commuter rail line through Lutz is in the cards, if CSX ever takes the stick out of its rear end.

Varance fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 29, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Varance posted:

Varance posted:

Bonus points: the nearby exit ramp from I-75 onto SR56 (the east-west in that picture) is nearly 2 miles long. It typically takes between 30 minutes and an hour to get off the interstate. If anywhere in the bay area needs a DDI, this would be it.

Shops at Wiregrass, in the NE corner of the intersection, is a major mall. A mall with the typical indoor section replaced with roads.

If hell is real, it could only look similar to this. :gonk:

Cichildae, for the Nutmeg game, will we still have opportunities to put in trains, or is it going to be primarily focused on cars and highways from now on?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That intersection is rather impressive.

Volmarias posted:

Oh god do it, that poor bridge in Sanctum :negative:

Think of the people using the barely modified rail bridge to avoid the crush...

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

onemanlan posted:

Whats the issue with the weave? Can you elaborate more on that. I can tell you what happens in afternoon traffic, but I cannot understand why its an issue mathematically. You don't have to get all nitty gritty with it, but I'm curious as to why weaving is an issue there.

To refer to an old image,

There are a few different types of weaving, but they all come from the same root issue: two vehicles must cross each others path in order to reach their destination. In the diagram, the red car just got on the on-ramp and needs to change lanes to the left in order to stay on the road. The blue car, on the other hand, needs to take the off-ramp, and must change lanes to the right. This leads, effectively, to a game of chicken every time those two cars arrive around the same time.

There's a further danger, too. Let's say the blue car isn't there. Now if you're the green car, and you decide to change lanes to the right (and, after all, there's no car in that lane yet), you are very likely to sideswipe the red car. While this is a potential problem with any road 3 or more lanes wide, it's especially potent at on-ramps like this where entering traffic is forced to move left. In France, there is a special kind of lane marking used in this situation to discourage that green car from changing lanes within an interchange.

Varance posted:

This seems to be a common design for new shopping centers; the newest extension of the Buckland Hills Mall was built the same way.
http://binged.it/WdFqY3

Hedera Helix posted:

If hell is real, it could only look similar to this. :gonk:

Cichildae, for the Nutmeg game, will we still have opportunities to put in trains, or is it going to be primarily focused on cars and highways from now on?

The railroad era is past. We won't be building any more, at least not until the 1990s and beyond, when HSR comes into prominence.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Cichlidae posted:

In France, there is a special kind of lane marking used in this situation to discourage that green car from changing lanes within an interchange.

This is Holland though, but are the markings you're referring to similar to these?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bred...315.13,,0,10.71

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

To refer to an old image,

There are a few different types of weaving, but they all come from the same root issue: two vehicles must cross each others path in order to reach their destination. In the diagram, the red car just got on the on-ramp and needs to change lanes to the left in order to stay on the road. The blue car, on the other hand, needs to take the off-ramp, and must change lanes to the right. This leads, effectively, to a game of chicken every time those two cars arrive around the same time.

There's a further danger, too. Let's say the blue car isn't there. Now if you're the green car, and you decide to change lanes to the right (and, after all, there's no car in that lane yet), you are very likely to sideswipe the red car. While this is a potential problem with any road 3 or more lanes wide, it's especially potent at on-ramps like this where entering traffic is forced to move left. In France, there is a special kind of lane marking used in this situation to discourage that green car from changing lanes within an interchange.

This seems to be a common design for new shopping centers; the newest extension of the Buckland Hills Mall was built the same way.

The railroad era is past. We won't be building any more, at least not until the 1990s and beyond, when HSR comes into prominence.

Is there even any real hsr in the US? There's the Acela, but that has a lower top speed because of cruddy infrastructure and constant stops.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Volmarias posted:

Is there even any real hsr in the US? There's the Acela, but that has a lower top speed because of cruddy infrastructure and constant stops.

High speed rail is such a wondrously nebulous term.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
Internationally, anything over 125mph on "existing" tracks counts as HSR, or 150mph on dedicated new tracks. The US seems to generally agree with this, though sometimes seems to accept anything over 90mph as "High Speed", and 150mph as "Higher Speed". The Acela just about manages to be High Speed in parts (it gets up to 150mph), so it does count.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Fragrag posted:

This is Holland though, but are the markings you're referring to similar to these?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bred...315.13,,0,10.71

They look different, but the functionality appears to be the same, yeah.

Gat posted:

Internationally, anything over 125mph on "existing" tracks counts as HSR, or 150mph on dedicated new tracks. The US seems to generally agree with this, though sometimes seems to accept anything over 90mph as "High Speed", and 150mph as "Higher Speed". The Acela just about manages to be High Speed in parts (it gets up to 150mph), so it does count.

The average speed is so low! Even the new HSR from Springfield to New Haven will cut the travel time from the current 90 minutes down to... 70 minutes. HSR should be required to have no grade crossings.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

Are there any existing intersections as big as what's proposed there anywhere in the country? Las Vegas has some pretty huge ones, but even the ones on the Strip don't have that many lanes.

Pasco County is pure exurban hell.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
But you can be proudly be included in this document (or this page) with 1 line which is not dashed!

nozz fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 31, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Gat posted:

But you can be proudly be included in this document (or this page) with 1 line which is not dashed!

We already have a not-dashed line, and now we're going to build another.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

I tried to:
1) Offer low volume routes as alternatives to high volume routes.
2) Make more connections to low volume bridges.
3) Ring roads.

I'm not sure about the extra interstate route from Winchester. Maybe it should be closer to the existing route that runs through Winton.

Is there nothing to the left of G1 between Middleport and Hartshire because it's a flood plain?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

I think it's smart. A typical outdoor mall complex with all the stores at the edges of the parking lot really discourages going from one store to another with moving your car. By moving all the stores to the center of the parking lot and then pointing them inward, you get a much more harmonious layout.

Running an actual road down the middle with on street parking is mainly to evoke an old main street feel I would guess. It's just a fake though, that road doesn't get you anywhere and barely anyone can really park on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

mamosodiumku posted:

I tried to:
1) Offer low volume routes as alternatives to high volume routes.
2) Make more connections to low volume bridges.
3) Ring roads.

I'm not sure about the extra interstate route from Winchester. Maybe it should be closer to the existing route that runs through Winton.

Is there nothing to the left of G1 between Middleport and Hartshire because it's a flood plain?

Yeah, it's all farms and floodplain. For your bypass routes, you might want to think bigger. The routes being planned in Connecticut at the time eventually ended up becoming routes 15, 80, and 184, which run in a mostly continuous band across the state a few miles north of the coastal cross-state route.