Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
How long can I keep prepared nước chấm for? Also, if I can keep it for an extended period of time, does it need to be refrigerated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

CzarChasm posted:

So, I'm planning on making chicken stock for the first time this weekend and I had some questions.

I'm planning on removing the breast and poaching them to put into soup later, but the rest of the chicken is going to go into the stock. Should I brown the chicken and veg first, then add the water to the pot? Should I take the skin off? Should I take some of the meat off the drumsticks and roast those bones separately? Could I get away with tossing everything into the pot raw?

Were you looking to make something like this? Poach the chicken whole, skin and all, with some vegetables. Pull out after an hour and demeat the chicken, simmer the bones for another handful of hours, and strain out the stock. I'd take as much meat as you could pull off. I personally don't bother with browning but I don't see how it could hurt.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

CzarChasm posted:

So, I'm planning on making chicken stock for the first time this weekend and I had some questions.

I'm planning on removing the breast and poaching them to put into soup later, but the rest of the chicken is going to go into the stock. Should I brown the chicken and veg first, then add the water to the pot? Should I take the skin off? Should I take some of the meat off the drumsticks and roast those bones separately? Could I get away with tossing everything into the pot raw?

Roast everything first, just in the oven and give it a nice little roast..

Everything goes in the pot - skin, meat and bones (not really neccessary to put in the meat though - but hey...)

A little bit of salt, and some veggies (green of leek, carrots, onions that has been blackened (by bad humors in your bedroom) but nothing starchy)... Then low and slow for a few hours - I usually put it in the oven for 5 or 6 hours at 110-120*c and then take out, and reduce...

You should scum it at the beginning too - a couple of times ladeling the scum out of it, untill you've gotten the most out.

Let it congeal, and then scrape off the fat from the container (this is schmaltz, I think it is disgusting, but some people use it for some stuff).

It should end up as a jelly.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Hawkgirl posted:

That all sounds awesome. I was going to suggest putting cucumber slices in water too but it sounded boring. Strawberry plus cucumber sounds interesting though.

The weirdest thing was that it actually almost tasted like melon when it was done. I don't know if it was the strawberries I used or what, but it tasted almost melon-y. Which made my sister quite happy, as she is allergic to melons but loves the taste.

Next time I'm thinking cucumber lemonade.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Funny story - so some friends of mine bought a 10lb ham for Christmas, and then watched some food documentary that made them weep and swear off eating any meat or dairy, eating an Xmas dinner of side dishes instead. (bonus - ordered Dino's cook book on Amazon prime for a late holiday gift for them!)

So, I have a 10lb, bone-in, smoked ham in my fridge right now, and not sure what to do with it. I generally have ham once a year, at Christmas - I eat a slice to make my yiayia happy and that's it. I don't hate it but it's not something I ever seek out.

Thoughts so far are first to roast it (as it says "ready to cook" so I'm assuming it can't be eaten as is) with some sort of glaze, then eat some as ham, some in a bean soup, and some sandwiches - which leaves me with about 8 lbs of ham remaining.

Any advice or recipe suggestions, for the above or other uses?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

The weirdest thing was that it actually almost tasted like melon when it was done. I don't know if it was the strawberries I used or what, but it tasted almost melon-y. Which made my sister quite happy, as she is allergic to melons but loves the taste.

Next time I'm thinking cucumber lemonade.

That's not so strange, I think there's a melon that tastes like cucumbers (Casaba melon), so it's only fair that cucumbers should taste a bit like melon.

EVG posted:

Ham

And about ham, I'd say invite some people over, that ham could probably feed like 20 people or so. I think 1/2 lb per person could work easily, it sounds like you got a monster on your hands. Isn't the definition of eternity a ham and two people or something? There's no way you could plow through 10lbs of ham by yourself before it goes bad in the fridge, so maybe look into freezing some of it. You can use the ham bone for some beans, too. I put ham in mac & cheese before, too. Ham can go in a lot of things, be creative I guess.

And on a side note, why would someone buy a ham and then waste it like that? I'd understand never buying a ham again, but to just throw it out is worse in my mind than eating it, regardless of their new ethical imperative. The drat thing's been killed already and you might as well eat it because you can't unkill it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

RHIN0002 posted:

How long can I keep prepared nước chấm for? Also, if I can keep it for an extended period of time, does it need to be refrigerated?

It depends on your exact recipe, the more acid, salt and sugar in your sauce, the longer it will last.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Eeyo posted:

That's not so strange, I think there's a melon that tastes like cucumbers (Casaba melon), so it's only fair that cucumbers should taste a bit like melon.

It really shouldn't be strange at all, they are in the same genus.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumis

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Charmmi posted:

Were you looking to make something like this? Poach the chicken whole, skin and all, with some vegetables. Pull out after an hour and demeat the chicken, simmer the bones for another handful of hours, and strain out the stock. I'd take as much meat as you could pull off. I personally don't bother with browning but I don't see how it could hurt.

The recipe you posted is pretty close to what I'm looking for, but on a smaller scale and with noodles instead of matzo.

Happy Hat posted:

Everything goes in the pot - skin, meat and bones (not really neccessary to put in the meat though - but hey...)

A little bit of salt, and some veggies (green of leek, carrots, onions that has been blackened (by bad humors in your bedroom) but nothing starchy)... Then low and slow for a few hours - I usually put it in the oven for 5 or 6 hours at 110-120*c and then take out, and reduce...

You should scum it at the beginning too - a couple of times ladeling the scum out of it, untill you've gotten the most out.

Let it congeal, and then scrape off the fat from the container (this is schmaltz, I think it is disgusting, but some people use it for some stuff).

This is very helpful, I will use these tips.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Every time I go to the Asian market I eye up their huge local made kim chi selection. However it all comes in friggin bags. If I get some, I assume I can dump the bag in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge forever?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

Every time I go to the Asian market I eye up their huge local made kim chi selection. However it all comes in friggin bags. If I get some, I assume I can dump the bag in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge forever?

It's a constantly fermenting thing so airtight isn't the best idea. You want it tight but allow for CO2 to escape. It will keep forever, but know that the older it gets, the less you'll want it for just nomming raw and the more it will be suited for jjigae, fried rice, etc (it'll get hella sour).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Saint Darwin posted:

Not forever but months for sure. It gets more sour with time. Get a nice tight sealed container because it will make your fridge stink like nothing else does, but once a week or so (doesn't have to be strict but do it regularly) take it out and open it up to let built up gas escape.

The special kimchi containers they sell over here in Korea lock up like Fort Knox and Koreans often have a special fridge just for kimchi. I currently am trying to get kimchi smell out of my fridge, it penetrated like ten layers of plastic bags and overwhelmed my charcoal smell absorber.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 29, 2012

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

Happy Hat posted:

My stock adventures have never gone down this route. The way I do it is (thanks to another goon from these forums + my butcher):
1. collect enough bones to fill whatever pot you use, with half of the bones as chicken feet
2. roast everything first
3. add bones to pot to capacity, fill the crevices with water (NO SALT- add salt to taste when you're actually making a dish with the stock; NO VEG- after lord knows how long on the heat, veg flavor just disappears imo)
4. simmer for 6+ hours (don't bother to skim the scum off)
5. strain solids out, come to room temp, go into the fridge
6. fat rises to the top of the stock-jelly, and slice/spoon the fat off
7. voila! rich gelatinous jelly

One chicken varcass + veg has NEVER made an unctuous stock-jelly for me (it makes pleasant chicken-water however), though admittedly I've never reduced the pot in an oven. I one hundred percent agree about pre-roasting the bones, but I never actually put meat in the pot, except for leftover gristle from a whole roasted chicken- why waste perfectly delicious meat when the bones and gristle get the job done?

Chicken feet are absolutely the best for stock.

Yehudis Basya fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 29, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I froze a half finished package of lunch meat earlier this month right before the 1 week safety period. I just thawed it out to make a midnight snack where I pan fry until crispy and the throw munster cheese to make a ham and cheese melt thing. It should still be safe to eat, right?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If your one chicken carcass + veg isn't making a nice gelatinous stock then you are using too much water. The proper ratio is three parts water to two parts bone by weight. Weigh your chicken carcass then fill with appropriate amount of water. If using veg (you should) add it in during the last hour of simmering. Otherwise they just needlessly soak up all that delicious stock.

Peven Stan posted:

I froze a half finished package of lunch meat earlier this month right before the 1 week safety period. I just thawed it out to make a midnight snack where I pan fry until crispy and the throw munster cheese to make a ham and cheese melt thing. It should still be safe to eat, right?

You should be fine. Give it a smell to make sure it doesn't stink like rot. If it smells fine just go for it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 29, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

EVG posted:

Thoughts so far are first to roast it (as it says "ready to cook" so I'm assuming it can't be eaten as is) with some sort of glaze, then eat some as ham, some in a bean soup, and some sandwiches - which leaves me with about 8 lbs of ham remaining.

Any advice or recipe suggestions, for the above or other uses?

Ham freezes super well. Portion it out into one or two pound baggies and freeze away.

Sandwiches, soups, breakfast - on the side or mixed into eggs, or chopped into little strips for a chef's salad. Ham is great stuff to have around.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I need to pick up two "gift presentable" spices, Cumin and Cinnamon. Appearance is more important than the actual quality of the contents. Thoughts?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got a Williams Sonoma near you?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/sear...ad-viewset=ecom

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Or if you've got a Penzeys nearby, their jars are pretty presentable in an olde-timey way.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's a constantly fermenting thing so airtight isn't the best idea. You want it tight but allow for CO2 to escape. It will keep forever, but know that the older it gets, the less you'll want it for just nomming raw and the more it will be suited for jjigae, fried rice, etc (it'll get hella sour).

They don`t all ferment, lots of the storebought ones are pasteurised.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

They don`t all ferment, lots of the storebought ones are pasteurised.

I'm assuming his market has housemade ones that they sell in bags. Regardless, when he transfers to a new container there will be plenty of new buggies to start fermenting again.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
My nutmeg fell into my soup. I rinsed it off and let it dry, it should be fine, right?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Jenkin posted:

My nutmeg fell into my soup. I rinsed it off and let it dry, it should be fine, right?

Sure.. and it is so expensive that just doing that is way better than just buying a new one..

LikeFunOnlyBoring
Sep 3, 2008
Hey, so I'm thinking about making some kind of chicken curry for New Years. I'm having trouble finding a good recipe, and was wondering if anyone had a good one that they like to use. I'd prefer a Thai curry recipe if possible, but I do like Indian curry as well.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I bought a tray of mexican wild uni from a japanese grocery store, on the off chance that it is not up to par for straight up sashimi/rice, what are some other ways to eat it?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Carbonara is probably one of THE most popular uses for uni outside of sushi that I've seen.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Carbonara is probably one of THE most popular uses for uni outside of sushi that I've seen.

Uh I think you have the wrong word there.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What word? I'm confused.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Happy Hat posted:

Sure.. and it is so expensive that just doing that is way better than just buying a new one..

I get my nutmegs so cheap from the bulk spices section at the store it's silly. It's only like $36/lb, which is not very much considering how much spice is in a single nutmeg.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Kenning posted:

I get my nutmegs so cheap from the bulk spices section at the store it's silly. It's only like $36/lb, which is not very much considering how much spice is in a single nutmeg.
My point exactly

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
My local asian market has absolutely gorgeous lemongrass right now. I'd like to make something with it, but my wife is mildly allergic to coconut so tom yum is right out. Can I just use it (flavorwise) similarly to citrus?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

My local asian market has absolutely gorgeous lemongrass right now. I'd like to make something with it, but my wife is mildly allergic to coconut so tom yum is right out. Can I just use it (flavorwise) similarly to citrus?

Tom yum has no coconut. You're thinking of Tom kha.

Lemongrass is citrus like so yes in some ways. It doesn't really contribute sourness like citrus does. That said it pairs well with tamarind or lime (like in Tom yum), works with fish sauce. A great thing to do is use it in Vietnamese grilled meats (mich has a recipe in the wiki).

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Happy Hat posted:

My point exactly

Eh, it was our last one and I didn't want to throw it out in case we'd need it in the coming days before I go grocery shopping again.

This is an excellent excuse to go to Penzy's soon, however.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm trying to do a substitution for tomato paste, and have a few cans of diced tomatoes. I figure I can make something approximate by boiling the diced tomatoes to reduce down to a paste-like substance. How much diced tomatoes should I start with if my eventual goal is 6 oz?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

is spicy miso just white miso with some chili sauce mixed in?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Powdered Toast Man posted:

You could make satay and use the lemongrass as a flavor/tenderizer. Mmmm.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
If I want to puddle a tritip how long should I do it for? I usually roast or grill just to temp so I figure it should be tasty if I puddle it like a steak and it can be pulled once it hits temp. Or would it benefit from being treated more like short rib/chuck where you cook it for an extended period of time?

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
My family has taken to getting me exotic and rare foodstuffs for holidays and birthdays, which is awesome. Amongst the Christmas haul were some things I have no idea what to do with so I turn to this forum.

Chicken pate
Jarred spicy chunk yellowfish tuna in olive oil
Lime curd
Canned fresh tamarinds

Any ideas, goons?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I got a combination oven thermometer and meat thermometer. You're supposed to stick the pointy end in the meat while the other end (connected to the cable) measures ambient temperature. I'm trying to figure out how to use it just to measure the oven temperature, if I'm baking or just preheating it. Would it hurt the probe to just lay it on the oven rack? Should I stick it in a potato or something?

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone got a decent recipe for salmon? I suck at cooking fish because I don't do it much so something that's start to finish would be great. Pan sear or bake is fine with me.

Thanks!