Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
In my group people don't narrate everything ("I'm drawing a card") but will generally at least say the name of anything I play or any choice I make. So a Dominion turn might sound like "Village, Fishing Village, Village, Spy, Festival, Fishing Village", and so on and so forth, probably while everyone else has an unrelated conversation during this guy's pointless five-minute turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Food Court Druid posted:

In my group people don't narrate everything ("I'm drawing a card") but will generally at least say the name of anything they play or any choice they make. So a Dominion turn might sound like "Village, Fishing Village, Village, Spy, Festival, Fishing Village", and so on and so forth, probably while everyone else has an unrelated conversation during this guy's pointless five-minute turn.

EDIT: quote=/=edit. Sorry guys.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Dominion is actually probably where vocalizing stuff started for my group, and we're still constantly going "Market, Village, 8 Copper, TAKIN' A PROVINCE."

EDIT: We also always show the amount of money in our hand and I know that's because we don't trust each other, haha.

We also call Duchy "douche-ees." Because my friends and I are 10. :v:

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

bobvonunheil posted:

Fantasy Flight has republished Hey That's My Fish, and the box is literally about half the size of the Citadels box. It's a pretty nifty reprint, actually, and goes for about 10 bucks.

they've reprinted it again, and it's back to a big-arsed box twice the size of citadels at least.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Quidnose posted:

Dominion is actually probably where vocalizing stuff started for my group, and we're still constantly going "Market, Village, 8 Copper, TAKIN' A PROVINCE."

EDIT: We also always show the amount of money in our hand and I know that's because we don't trust each other, haha.

We also call Duchy "douche-ees." Because my friends and I are 10. :v:

To be fair, the correct pronunciation is dookie which lends itself to ten year old humor as well.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Malkar posted:

To be fair, the correct pronunciation is dookie

I don't think this is true.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

According to my wife it's Dukeee, because that's where the Duke lives right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Well it kind of is. The only real way to interact with players is through attacks and it seems like most attacks are only undertaken if the primary (+draw, +action) effects benefit the player casting it. Well, I guess the other way to interact is by purposely ending the game through buying cards in 3 stacks.

Militia is the bane of my existence :argh:

More seriously, being able to disrupt other players makes otherwise marginal cards quite playable. You're still not going to load your deck with them (you're not going to load your deck up with a ton of any action, in most kingdoms), but depending on how disruptive the effect is it can be worth grabbing even when a different card would benefit you more.

Attack cards also tend to get better the more players you have, so if you stick to two-player "competitive" Dominion then you need a stronger effect for an attack to be worthwhile.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

dishwasherlove posted:

Does that mean that Duchess is pronounced "dookess"?

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Orange Devil posted:

I don't think this is true.

dishwasherlove posted:

poo poo. For some reason I thought it was pronounced that way. Apparently I am vastly mistaken. Dutchee it is.

Also, amusingly, wiktionary lists "douchy" as a homophone. Douchy: (pejorative) Like a douche bag.

Won't find that one in Webster's.

Malkar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 30, 2012

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Malkar posted:

Dutchee it is.

This is correct. duchy noun \ˈdə-chē\ :eng101:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Pass the duchy on the left hand side... :v:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Star Wars LCG is out, and I'm deckbuilding and really starting to see the depth of the weird objective set system. Very different than I'm used to but still makes you make hard choices. Excited to play some games of it soon.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
Lightning Round: Need 6-8 player game for tonight. Was betting on being able to get 7 Wonders: Cities and could not. Need alternative. Mid-level attention spans; some complexity acceptable, euro-grog games probably out. Help me Obi-Wan Kenboardthread, you're my only hope.

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Lightning Round: Need 6-8 player game for tonight. Was betting on being able to get 7 Wonders: Cities and could not. Need alternative. Mid-level attention spans; some complexity acceptable, euro-grog games probably out. Help me Obi-Wan Kenboardthread, you're my only hope.

Cash n' Guns, Resistance, RoboRally, Apples to Apples/Cards Against Humanity, Shadow Hunters, Bang! are my go-to for larger groups.

Most larger group games tend to be a bit on the lighter/party side

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Lifeboat (NOT Lifeboats, which is different but also good). I believe with expansions ($3 each) it is up to 8-9 players. It's a ~60-90 minute negotiation/backstabbing game.

Each player is a survivor on a lifeboat after the cruise ship goes down. Players jockey for position and gear vying to be the one who survives with the most VP. VP comes from a) killing the randomly assigned hidden other player that you "hate" b) keeping alive the randomly assigned hidden other player that you "love", and c) collecting treasure along the way.

Every single group of non or not too crazy gamers has loved it. And it's super cheap too. CSI has it for ~$20 with all 3 expansions.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Formula D (roll-and-move racing game) works with up to 10 and isn't a party game. Cosmic Encounter (FFG edition) with all three expansions supports eight but that might be more than you want to invest for one night. The Resistance is a social deduction game. Bohnanza is a trading game that supports up to 7.

Two side-by-side 4-player games of Dominion probably wouldn't differ appreciably from a theoretical 8-player version.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!

DeepSpaceBeans posted:

Cash n' Guns, Resistance, RoboRally, Apples to Apples/Cards Against Humanity, Shadow Hunters, Bang! are my go-to for larger groups.

Most larger group games tend to be a bit on the lighter/party side
Lighter is fine and probably preferred. Is Bang! good? And what is shadow hunters and resistance? I'd look these things up but I'm also getting food ready, apologies.

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Lighter is fine and probably preferred. Is Bang! good? And what is shadow hunters and resistance? I'd look these things up but I'm also getting food ready, apologies.

Well, they are all hidden traitor types of games where people are attempting to co-operate to accomplish a goal but there are those mixed in that are trying to ruin it for everyone else.

Bang! is much more like mafia, where there is an outlaw trying to figure out who the sheriff is and kill him before he gets killed by everyone else. Certain roles get certain information, but also have an incentive to not just openly declare that information (lest they be killed themselves)

The Resistance is a great traitor game, very simple. You are members of a resistance cell plotting to overthrow... something (you can pretty much just make up whatever oppression you are fighting against, it doesn't really matter). Problem is, there are a bunch of people in the cell who are actually spies from the secret police out to thwart your freedom fighting endeavors. Every turn, you rotate the cell leader who is responsible for deciding who to send on a mission. Spies want to get in on these missions to make them fail. Resistance members want to figure out who the spies are and keep them out of the mission teams.

Shadow Hunters is of a similar vein. Hunters vs. Demons, trying to figure out who is what so you can call them and win. You have special abilities you can use, but they will also telegraph to everyone what side you're on, so it is about planning, deducting and then striking when you (think you) are sure.

Out of the three, my groups seem to enjoy Resistance and Shadow Hunters quite a bit.

Formula D and Bohnanza, mentioned above, are also great.

DeepSpaceBeans fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 30, 2012

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

DeepSpaceBeans posted:

Bang! is much more like mafia, where there is a sheriff trying to figure out who everyone else is and kill them before he gets killed by everyone else. Certain roles get certain goals, but also have an incentive to not just openly declare that information (lest they be killed themselves).

Fixing your description.

Bang! has a couple situations that can cause the game to take forever, and they pop up slightly more frequently than necessary. Still a decent game, though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It's worth noting that social deduction games require a minimum level of seriousness on the part of the players. One player who reveals or forgets his or her hidden role can basically render a game like The Resistance pretty pointless.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Self-plug: my game Sultans of Karaya is good for 7+ people (you can play with as few as 5, but it's pretty dry at that point). It gets more chaotic and unpredictable the more you play with and can take up to 15. In a nutshell, it's a hidden-role game like Werewolf/the Resistance/Bang!/etc. except its unique gimmick is that the gameplay focuses on exchanging roles (and therefore powers and victory conditions) with other players until such time as you think you have enough information and the right role/seating position to get a win for your team.

The scoring system can lead to issues in later rounds if you've got the sort of players who feel that games are 1st-place-or-nothing, in that people start killing whoever's ahead on points regardless of what that does for their own chances... but in a less serious group it's good silly fun. A surprising number of crazy scenarios can come up for a game with only 4 basic roles and 4 supporting/neutral roles.

----

There are other games I'd recommend as well of course, but they've all been mentioned. The Resistance is very good and clever. Formula D was a favorite of my friends back in our university days. I wasn't too keen on Bang!, but I only played it once.

For specifically 6, Power Grid is okay, though I prefer it with 5, and it's probably too thinky for your group. King of Tokyo would be perfect, but only has parts for 6 players... you could improvise extra "monsters" using action figures or whatever, but I don't know how well it would work with more than 6... it's certainly not designed for it. Maybe with 8 you'd also have to add a third "Tokyo" space.

Perudo is great, but there's really no point in buying the commercial version of it if you own a huge pile of six-sided dice and some cups. (I wish my upcoming game was out now as it was supposed to be before my publisher got backlogged... it's in the same vein and, in my not-even-remotely-impartial opinion, better. But it isn't out. Looking like spring now.)

xopods fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 31, 2012

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

We're going to go with Mage Knight as a game to play. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow morning, but are there good online resources that could be reviewed to get the game down, apart from the rulebook (Like a one page rules guide or tutorial video or something that is goon-vetted)

vvv Edit: It's just playing with my wife, so we're fine. This isn't high stress teaching or anything.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 31, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's also a game-walkthrough you can pick up online in the same place as the rules.

Really, though, I'd suggest playing a solo game or two before trying to teach anyone else.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Bang! is a terrible game. I know I've said this on this board more that once, but I really can't stress it enough. Player elimination games that allow for a player to be eliminated before their first turn are unacceptable.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Paper Kaiju posted:

Bang! is a terrible game. I know I've said this on this board more that once, but I really can't stress it enough. Player elimination games that allow for a player to be eliminated before their first turn are unacceptable.

Bang is a fun, quick game, but mechanically not great.

I prefer Guillotine as a time-filler these days.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm somewhat curious how the new Samurai Swords spinoff is compared to Bang. It's still very much a filler game, but I can't help but think that things are just going to become rather tedious when people don't die.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Finally got to play some two player Castles of Burgundy. My opponent and I each won one game. It's a lot of fun; my only complaint is the visibility of victory points. Unless you have some end of the game bonuses, it's pretty apparent how far behind you are. I can't wait to play more though. I'm hoping the 3 and 4 player games work just as smoothly.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Picking up on the Ticket to Ride and non-hobby gamers conversation from a while back, I was very happy when my girlfriend's cousin and her husband were quite pleased with getting it as a present. But I was kinda hoping they already had it so I could keep it for myself and get them something else.

What was interesting is that I was able to talk about Twilight Struggle with some of her family. None had played it, but apparently it's famous enough for some of them to know about it, and one of her cousins had even bought it as a present. The hobby is slowly creeping.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

thespaceinvader posted:

Bang is a fun, quick game, but mechanically not great.

I'm so confused by this.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Countblanc posted:

I'm so confused by this.

Sometimes a short playtime can turn a bad game into a decent one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

Sometimes a short playtime can turn a bad game into a decent one.

That's fair. I mean, I own Bang!, and defended the poo poo out of it for about 6 months because I laughed a lot while playing it, but eventually I just came to terms with the fact that the game itself was cause for very little of that excitement.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Got to play Galaxy Trucker tonight. I enjoyed this game a lot once I got all the rules figured out. I do wish there was a turn example included in the rules like there is in a lot of the other games that I own. We were playing meteor swarms wrong the first time in having each person roll separately for their ship instead of having the Leader roll for everyone.

I do have one question, though, that wasn't really clarified in the rules: when you land on a planet to pick up cargo, but you don't have enough space for everything, can you pick up only the things that fit and only pick up the most valuable stuff? Or do you have to be able to pick up everything? If you can't pick up everything can you dump low value cargo you have and pick the valuable stuff up?

Edit: formatting/spelling

pakman fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 31, 2012

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

You take whatever you want to fit on your ship when you land, and you can toss cheap cargo to make room for the expensive stuff.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

SilverMike posted:

You take whatever you want to fit on your ship when you land, and you can toss cheap cargo to make room for the expensive stuff.

Cargo is also the only thing that can be reshuffled between the cargo bays, unlike astronauts and battery charges.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My friends and I finally finished our Risk: Legacy game/campaign tonight. It really couldn't have ended better: Space Prussia winning, the final achievement for us (30+ Armies and a Missile) unlocked on the final turn and what ensued from it, and then opening the Do Not Open envelope and finding how well it fit with the ending of the game.

pakman posted:

I do have one question, though, that wasn't really clarified in the rules: when you land on a planet to pick up cargo, but you don't have enough space for everything, can you pick up only the things that fit and only pick up the most valuable stuff? Or do you have to be able to pick up everything? If you can't pick up everything can you dump low value cargo you have and pick the valuable stuff up?

You can even land on a planet, spend the days, and not even load any of the cargo you bought, if you really want to block it off from someone.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Countblanc posted:

I'm so confused by this.

Bang is a game with a strong theme and a lot of funny interactions (a personal favourite being the sheriff with the Gatling Gun, because it's in his best interest to just loving kill everyone, including his deputy), but if you think about it too much, it is not good.

But a game which can have 3 rounds in 30 minutes, is not one I have a massive problem with bad mechanics in. Yes, there are better short games, and yes, I probably prefer to play one of them these days, but Bang was one of my first, and is one I still find fun.

Shootthetanks
Oct 1, 2010
On the subject of playing board games with non-gaming folks, my friends and I played a game of Takenoko last night and all agreed it's a game that would probably be really easy to play at a family gathering. The rules are simple, the board tiles are bright, and the panda/bamboo/gardener minis are really cute and nicely painted, which is a nice touch. It seems like it might hold the attention of even the most anti-board game family member.

We also played Mice & Mystics, which is adorable. Even though we got pretty badly beaten, we all loved it and are planning on playing it as a campaign.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Archenteron posted:

My friends and I finally finished our Risk: Legacy game/campaign tonight. It really couldn't have ended better: Space Prussia winning, the final achievement for us (30+ Armies and a Missile) unlocked on the final turn and what ensued from it, and then opening the Do Not Open envelope and finding how well it fit with the ending of the game.

We just started a Risk: Legacy campaign and I won the first two games, annexing Indonesia as a Major City and renaming Australia as my own. Because I won twice we've already opened the envelope that unlocks the Homelands rule and my stronghold gains even more power if I pick the same Faction I took the first two games, which started in Indonesia both times. Everyone else is plotting against me already, because they're sick of seeing my name written on the board with a hot pink sharpie. I can't wait to play again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Yeah, been playing Risk: Legacy as well. Holy gently caress, love this game. I think the "unlock mechanics/stuff as you log in games" is a GENIUS idea that I would love to see more games copy. That alone pushes it to the table if for nothing else, "we are we gonna unlock?"

By the by, what is an average game time for Mage Knight like? Are we talking TI3 long?

• Locked thread