Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
They've also revised the number of people who may have survived upwards, from between 41 to somewhere around 58 people based on fresh medical analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Seemed a more appropriate place for this rather than getting lost in the TRPest thread, the Mirror are hosting the video for the Hillsborough tribute:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/hillsborough-charity-single-video-watch-1472224

e: it's very well done and I'm welling up at work like a big girl.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 5, 2012

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Why are you watching videos at work?

Best regards,

Your boss.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xabi posted:

Why are you watching videos at work?

Best regards,

Your boss.

Some of us get lunch breaks.

marcadia
Sep 13, 2005

Ninpo posted:

Seemed a more appropriate place for this rather than getting lost in the TRPest thread, the Mirror are hosting the video for the Hillsborough tribute:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/hillsborough-charity-single-video-watch-1472224

e: it's very well done and I'm welling up at work like a big girl.

Can't see it not being the xmas #1 and deservedly so. £1m at least for the families is fantastic. Hopefully it prompts some of your stereotypical X-Factor viewers into finding out the reasons behind the JFT96 campaign. Great cover in that it stays true to the original, too.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Ninpo posted:

Some of us get lunch breaks.
Lucky bastard.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
I hope it raises all the money and that but there's no excuse for giving people like John Power and and Jon loving Mclure the oxygen of publicity in 2012

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

marcadia posted:

Can't see it not being the xmas #1 and deservedly so. £1m at least for the families is fantastic. Hopefully it prompts some of your stereotypical X-Factor viewers into finding out the reasons behind the JFT96 campaign. Great cover in that it stays true to the original, too.

All the more important because Anne Williams, one of the driving forces behind the campaign, was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. Her son Kevin was the one of youngest of the 96, at 15 years old.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Babby Thatcher posted:

I hope it raises all the money and that but there's no excuse for giving people like John Power and and Jon loving Mclure the oxygen of publicity in 2012

What's wrong with John Power, a singer/songwriter from Liverpool, singing on it?

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

T. Mascis posted:

Her son Kevin was the youngest of the 96, at 15 years old.

Unfortunately no, there were many there younger than 15. Lee Nicol, one of my friends' uncle was 14. Pretty sure there was a 10 year old too.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

NeoNaoNeo posted:

Unfortunately no, there were many there younger than 15. Lee Nicol, one of my friends' uncle was 14. Pretty sure there was a 10 year old too.

Yep, I don't know why I had that in my head, youngest was indeed 10, Jon-Paul Gilhooley. Shameful of me.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Ninpo posted:

What's wrong with John Power, a singer/songwriter from Liverpool, singing on it?

he's John Power. I mean, I'm all for letting the locals have a go but they've got loads of musicians to choose from that weren't in loving Cast. Like, if there was a Munich memorial/fundraiser song with famous Manchester-based musicians you'd hope they wouldn't invite Rick Witter

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008

Babby Thatcher posted:

he's John Power. I mean, I'm all for letting the locals have a go but they've got loads of musicians to choose from that weren't in loving Cast. Like, if there was a Munich memorial/fundraiser song with famous Manchester-based musicians you'd hope they wouldn't invite Rick Witter

Yeah but hes been involved in the Hillsborough justice campaign for a long time (& was also in the La's) - so its sound.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Justice Secretary has ordered a new police investigation into the disaster. All of the accidental death verdicts have been quashed.

More here.

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW
Love me a good quashing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The charity single has made it to #1 for Christmas

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Saw that, great news.

Btw, heard an 'interesting' rant the other day from a nutter who was complaining about the fact that the justice song was written by a band from Manchester. Some people....

e: apparently it was written by a couple of Americans, but I don't think that'll convince him

Xabi fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 23, 2012

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

irlZaphod posted:

The charity single has made it to #1 for Christmas

Bought it for me mum, it's the first music I've bought in years, and I felt pretty drat good about it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I haven't bought a single for about fifteen years.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

I haven't bought a single for about fifteen years.

The long term relationship haver.

I bought the single too.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Irvine Patnick, the Tory who fed Mckenzie the misinformation leading to the The Sun's headline, has died, possibly of a guilty conscience:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20872924

The story makes extensive mention of his involvement with Hillsborough. Had he died a few months earlier, it probably would not have done so.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Psybro posted:

Irvine Patnick, the Tory who fed Mckenzie the misinformation leading to the The Sun's headline, has died, possibly of a guilty conscience:

The story makes extensive mention of his involvement with Hillsborough. Had he died a few months earlier, it probably would not have done so.

good, let's hope his old boss is next

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
At least he got a chance to come to terms with the possibility of being punished for his actions before he snuffed it. That must have frightened the poo poo out of him.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Zero Star posted:

At least he got a chance to come to terms with the possibility of being punished for his actions before he snuffed it. That must have frightened the poo poo out of him.

come on, that only became a 'possibility' in the sense that when I go to the shop tomorrow there's a 'possibility' of getting pierced by a shaft of frozen urine from an airliner passing overhead

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Babby Thatcher posted:

come on, that only became a 'possibility' in the sense that when I go to the shop tomorrow there's a 'possibility' of getting pierced by a shaft of frozen urine from an airliner passing overhead
Fair enough. I must have momentarily forgotten that Tories don't have souls.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
ladies and gentlemen, Donal Blaney

http://blaneyblog.dailymail.co.uk/2012/12/why-are-so-many-of-my-fellow-liverpool-fans-so-unpleasant.html

quote:

Rather than debating whether it is in any way decent or humane to crow over the death of another human being (even a hated Tory such as Sir Irvine Patnick), most Liverpool fans who leapt to the defence of Tony Evans (with the noble exception of Hal Cohen) decided to send me delightful messages such as 'nonce', 'fat greasy headed tit', 'Tory and LFC fan should never be seen in the same sentence' (no, seriously), 'you turkey necked four-eyed tw*t', 'f**k off you toffee nosed c**t', 'u cheeky fat f**kin skum (sic) bag', 'your (sic) no red you Donal you filthy c**t', a particularly delightful 'f**k off you bastard your nans (sic) dead', 'why don't you die you fat goggle eyed tw*t' and, of course, 'we're gonna have a party when Maggie Thatcher dies' (as well as 'gonna have a party when Donal Blaney dies').

Donal Blaney has, of course, only been in the news in his own right twice iirc - once for an expose of his Young Briton's Foundation (who do all the Conservative Future activist training) calling for the abolition of the NHS among other stuff, and also most relevantly here - publicly praying for the impending death of a politician he didn't like (Ted Kennedy). But Liverpool fans and/or 'the left' are morbid etc for doing the same... over Irving Patnick, who himself defamed 96 dead men for decades.

Babby Thatcher fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 2, 2013

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Babby Thatcher posted:

ladies and gentlemen, Donal Blaney

http://blaneyblog.dailymail.co.uk/2012/12/why-are-so-many-of-my-fellow-liverpool-fans-so-unpleasant.html

Donal Blaney has, of course, only been in the news in his own right twice iirc - once for an expose of his Young Briton's Foundation (who do all the Conservative Future activist training) calling for the abolition of the NHS among other stuff, and also most relevantly here - publicly praying for the impending death of a politician he didn't like (Ted Kennedy). But Liverpool fans and/or 'the left' are morbid etc for doing the same... over Irving Patnick, who himself defamed 96 dead men for decades.

I literally got so angry at this I replied in the comment section. What a complete douchebag. Then again, his previous blog post is him suggesting Romney has a shot at the US election, posted just one week before the election when everyone but Karl Rove knew what was going to happen.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

The Mash posted:

Then again, his previous blog post is him suggesting Romney has a shot at the US election, posted just one week before the election when everyone but Karl Rove knew what was going to happen.

Welcome to the Daily Mail.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
The comments on that article are depressing but expected from Daily Mail readers.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I couldn't have hoped for a better introduction to Donal Blaney than this quote from his Mail biog:

quote:

Donal has been described by leading political commentator Iain Dale as "the closest thing we have in this country to a Fox News pundit". He takes that as a compliment.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
A contributing factor to safety standards at Hillsborough was the Thatcher government's apathy toward convenient scapegoats that didn't vote for them. It might be that the combination of that and senior Tories literally suggesting 1980s Liverpool be allowed to crumble to the dust makes Liverpool fans predisposed towards not supporting that particular party. But who knows, maybe it's just parochial small-mindedness.

I never knew Jeff off Peep Show was a Hillsborough survivor, I saw him talking about it on Sky and it was loving harrowing and now I will struggle to laugh at him in future.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 2, 2013

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Psybro posted:

A contributing factor to safety standards at Hillsborough was the Thatcher government's apathy toward convenient scapegoats that didn't vote for them. It might be that the combination of that and senior Tories literally suggesting 1980s Liverpool be allowed to crumble to the dust makes Liverpool fans predisposed towards not supporting that particular party. But who knows, maybe it's just parochial small-mindedness.

It's no secret how big a steaming dump Thatcher's government took on the North in general. Large parts of the North East are still largely financially hosed as a result.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Psybro posted:

I never knew Jeff off Peep Show was a Hillsborough survivor, I saw him talking about it on Sky and it was loving harrowing and now I will struggle to laugh at him in future.

Is that the one where he talks about how the crush around him was so bad the glass in his watch exploded?

Also there is an investigation now underway to see if the SYP illegally ran wiretaps of the survivor's family during the original investigation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ninpo posted:

It's no secret how big a steaming dump Thatcher's government took on the North in general. Large parts of the North East are still largely financially hosed as a result.

That report the tories got some from one of their think tanks about how certain North cities like Liverpool and Sunderland should be left because relocating everyone and such would be cheaper than regenerating them says it all really

Psybro
May 12, 2002

T. Mascis posted:

Is that the one where he talks about how the crush around him was so bad the glass in his watch exploded?

That's it yeah. I'd never really seen any eyewitness accounts because my curiosity isn't that morbid, but it was on a show I was watching whilst stuffed with Christmas leftovers and it certainly shook me out of that lethargy.

I think it affects me more now that I attend a lot of live games, it's so far away from anything I could imagine happening to me. I've even been in the Leppings Lane end a couple of times to watch League One football, but since the report came out I don't think I'd have the stomach for it. It's one thing to be at the scene of a tragedy, but the malevolence behind it makes it something more than that.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

T. Mascis posted:

Also there is an investigation now underway to see if the SYP illegally ran wiretaps of the survivor's family during the original investigation

I think it's actually West Midlands Police, as they were responsible for the investigation. SYP would have had a massive conflict of interest.

e: Here is a Guardian article about it. David Conn has been pretty consistently writing about all the developments that have taken place in the last few months.

franks fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 3, 2013

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Psybro posted:

Is it possible to be posthumously stripped of a knighthood?

If not, can they start doing it for this rear end in a top hat?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There is an Honours Forfeiture Committee, and what we want to do on that score is watch and see what happens about Sir Jimmy Savile OBE.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Oh dear.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...00252-32608590/

quote:

Margaret Thatcher aide Sir Bernard Ingham: I won't say sorry for telling Liverpool to shut up about Hillsborough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:stare:

loving hell.

• Locked thread