Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eye in Sky Weather is actually pretty cool looking, for being a weather app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Zero VGS posted:

I mentioned this in the main android thread, but just wanted to reiterate that Intellicover https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dragonnis.intellicover&hl=en is the best Nexus 4 app ever. It sleeps your phone when you put it face down or in your pocket, wakes it when you pick it up, and somehow does all this proximity sensor wizardry without wake-locking the phone or using more than a couple % of extra battery. Just set it up, disable your lock screen, and never think about power buttons or butt-dialing again.

Seems not really a great idea considering if your phone ever gets stolen your first line of defense against idiots is down

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Guilty posted:

Seems not really a great idea considering if your phone ever gets stolen your first line of defense against idiots is down

Well, you don't have to disable your lockscreen. And you might be able (now or in the future) to have it play nicely with Tasker and do a direct wake when you're at home and only turn the screen on when you're not.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

LastInLine posted:

Is there a way to stop the notification after it updates?

No, I don't think so.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Does it not let you uncheck "Show Notifications" under App Info?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Does it not let you uncheck "Show Notifications" under App Info?
Obviously I could do that but I was hoping there was a way to disable that specific notification without having to just do it for everything in the entire app. I suppose though that works just as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Guilty posted:

I always set up my phones with rooted/hidden Avast Anti-Theft and no lock screen. I don't live in a tech savvy area, usually it's a drug-addict type that would steal my phone. If my phone works fine for them right off the bat, they're more likely to continue to use it, or to sell it to someone who will use it. Avast can be set so it doesn't show as an app, and it can be written as a system app to survive Factory Resets. Then I can just call the cops and give them a nice web link with the Google Maps coordinates straight to the phone.

Plus if it is found by a decent person, they can actually call someone on my phone list and get it back to me. I've found and returned two phones this way, and a third phone had a lock screen so I had to bring it to a carrier retail store. Luckily they could look up the ESN but they can't always do that, for example if it's a random prepaid.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Zero VGS posted:

I always set up my phones with rooted/hidden Avast Anti-Theft and no lock screen. I don't live in a tech savvy area, usually it's a drug-addict type that would steal my phone. If my phone works fine for them right off the bat, they're more likely to continue to use it, or to sell it to someone who will use it. Avast can be set so it doesn't show as an app, and it can be written as a system app to survive Factory Resets. Then I can just call the cops and give them a nice web link with the Google Maps coordinates straight to the phone.

Plus if it is found by a decent person, they can actually call someone on my phone list and get it back to me. I've found and returned two phones this way, and a third phone had a lock screen so I had to bring it to a carrier retail store. Luckily they could look up the ESN but they can't always do that, for example if it's a random prepaid.

The stories I've read have people that try to give locations of their phone to cops and they don't really care/can't do anything.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eye in Sky Weather is actually pretty cool looking, for being a weather app.

Yes, it is. Thanks for that.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Got some Google Play giftcards for Christmas. Figured I'd get Tasker. I ignored the reviews about the tertible/confusing UI because I figured, hey I'm a web developer so I'm familiar with code..

That :smug: turned to :stare: as soon as I launched it. Good God this is a great example of a powerful(?) app with terrible UI. Can't even learn from example since of the two sites it mentions to download them, one site has expired abd the other isn't mobile friendly.

I wanted to see if I could turn on Airplane mode on my Android 2.3 device if it's between 8:00 - 8:30 AM mon-fri, but hell if I know how to do it or if it's even possible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Merkinman posted:

Got some Google Play giftcards for Christmas. Figured I'd get Tasker. I ignored the reviews about the tertible/confusing UI because I figured, hey I'm a web developer so I'm familiar with code..

That :smug: turned to :stare: as soon as I launched it. Good God this is a great example of a powerful(?) app with terrible UI. Can't even learn from example since of the two sites it mentions to download them, one site has expired abd the other isn't mobile friendly.

I wanted to see if I could turn on Airplane mode on my Android 2.3 device if it's between 8:00 - 8:30 AM mon-fri, but hell if I know how to do it or if it's even possible.

It's definitely not "easy", but you get the hang of it pretty quick once you fiddle with it. I started with some of the pre-made templates on the Tasker Wiki and sort of went from there.

Unfortunately, a lot of the functions are locked down if you're not rooted and don't work right, but it's still well worth the money I spent on it.

*Edit* What you're looking to do is pretty easy, set Time as the First Context when you're making a new profile as 0800 to 0830. Then hold down on the context and click "Add" and you can add days, so it's M-F. Then click "New Task" (Name it if you want) -> Net -> Airplane Mode.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 30, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Tasker has its own thread.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Medullah posted:

It's definitely not "easy", but you get the hang of it pretty quick once you fiddle with it. I started with some of the pre-made templates on the Tasker Wiki and sort of went from there.

Unfortunately, a lot of the functions are locked down if you're not rooted and don't work right, but it's still well worth the money I spent on it.

*Edit* What you're looking to do is pretty easy, set Time as the First Context when you're making a new profile as 0800 to 0830. Then hold down on the context and click "Add" and you can add days, so it's M-F. Then click "New Task" (Name it if you want) -> Net -> Airplane Mode.
Thanks.
Oh, sorry.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Yeah, but that thread has been pretty dead. :(

NP, if you want to figure out how to do something else send me a PM if you want. I'm far from an expert but I can probably point ya in the right direction.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
edit: I'm dumb

kmcormick9 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 30, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

What you're looking to do is pretty easy, set Time as the First Context when you're making a new profile as 0800 to 0830. Then hold down on the context and click "Add" and you can add days, so it's M-F. Then click "New Task" (Name it if you want) -> Net -> Airplane Mode.
Airplane Mode cannot be toggled on 4.2 without Device Admin rights. Look for Secure Settings on Play.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Merkinman posted:

Tasker is getting a UI overhaul to be more user friendly and follow android guidelines. No idea when it'll be out though.

Tunga posted:

Airplane Mode cannot be toggled on 4.2 without Device Admin rights. Look for Secure Settings on Play.

His device is running Gingerbread.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I am looking for an app which can record video on a short loop (e.g. 5 minutes) in the background while other apps are running. You've probably guessed, but I want to use my phone as a dashcam because I'm fed up of getting screwed over on insurance claims which would clearly have not been my fault if I had video to prove it.

Can anyone recommend anything like that? If not, is there something which will take a photo / start recording video if it senses an impact via the accelerometer? That'd be better than nothing. Again, it would need to run in the background because I need Google Maps Navigation up front.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
This works well enough for me: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dailyroads.v

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

That looks ideal, thank you very much!

edit:
For anyone else interested in dashcam apps, I can't find much to fault with this one after playing with it for a bit. It can record video on loop (you can define the quality and the max loop storage space before it starts overwriting old videos), it can take photos at regular intervals and you can tap the screen to retain the current video section to avoid it being overwritten. It can also retain the current video section based on a configurable g-force shock level and, most importantly for me, can overlay a 'retain' button on top of Google Maps Navigation. Oh and it can auto-upload to remote storage if you like.

Pretty drat good for free.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 30, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What a good music player? Play Music murdered the poo poo out of my battery today.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Phone posted:

What a good music player? Play Music murdered the poo poo out of my battery today.

Poweramp is the one everyone (myself included) seems to recommend. I'm certainly happy with it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It also comes with its own platform optimized decoders, that run faster and subsequently need less battery.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

rolleyes posted:

That looks ideal, thank you very much!

edit:
For anyone else interested in dashcam apps, I can't find much to fault with this one after playing with it for a bit. It can record video on loop (you can define the quality and the max loop storage space before it starts overwriting old videos), it can take photos at regular intervals and you can tap the screen to retain the current video section to avoid it being overwritten. It can also retain the current video section based on a configurable g-force shock level and, most importantly for me, can overlay a 'retain' button on top of Google Maps Navigation. Oh and it can auto-upload to remote storage if you like.

Pretty drat good for free.

I know this isn't in the spirit of the android app thread, but I saw some flashmem dashcams that had forward and rearward cams linked from another thread recently and they were only like $30-40.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

I know this isn't in the spirit of the android app thread, but I saw some flashmem dashcams that had forward and rearward cams linked from another thread recently and they were only like $30-40.

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, but when I tried to find a dedicated device all I could find was sketchy looking stuff on ebay or even sketchier looking stuff on websites which were clearly not legit. I have to admit I was surprised, I'd have thought there'd be more about. I'm in the UK but wouldn't have thought that would make a difference, they're perfectly legal.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Phone posted:

While Poweramp is pretty good, I would also suggest you check out Just Player. It's free, has an EQ, gapless playback and is pretty customizable. Also, it's light on resources.
And if you happen to have music stored in Dropbox, Box or on an Ampache server, it can stream from those as well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rolleyes posted:

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, but when I tried to find a dedicated device all I could find was sketchy looking stuff on ebay or even sketchier looking stuff on websites which were clearly not legit. I have to admit I was surprised, I'd have thought there'd be more about. I'm in the UK but wouldn't have thought that would make a difference, they're perfectly legal.

They're extremely popular in Russia due to the massive popularity of staged accident insurance scams there, so a lot of the stuff looking bad is likely targeted to and/or defrauding consumers in Russia.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Phone posted:

I used Deadbeef before I got an iPhone and I'm using it again today on my Note 2 after trying out a few different ones. It's pretty nice. I'm also super picky and OCD about music players (foobar is the only thing that makes me happy).

What do people use for IRC though? I can't really get into AndChat but I was hoping to get a few suggestions instead of trying them all out for myself like usual :v:

e: I can try out my own IRC clients but just wondering if there's anything more definitive than MX Player. Haven't really had the chance to look into the various video player options so far, but subtitle support is pretty crucial for me, and I noticed it had a lot of codecs for different CPU's. Does it or anything else have (or even need) special support to perform better with the Cortex-A9?

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 31, 2012

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got a galaxy s3 a few days ago. I downloaded the SwiftKey app just out of curiosity. This app is godsend, it revolutionized typing for me coming straight from an iphone 4. My god the speed and fluid movement. It does feels a bit like it might be undoing years of trained spelling and accuracy but for the first time, I think I'm actually comfortable enough to use this phone as a medium to type longer documents. Definitely a nice surprise find for me!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

ACID POLICE posted:

e: I can try out my own IRC clients but just wondering if there's anything more definitive than MX Player. Haven't really had the chance to look into the various video player options so far, but subtitle support is pretty crucial for me, and I noticed it had a lot of codecs for different CPU's. Does it or anything else have (or even need) special support to perform better with the Cortex-A9?

There's really nothing better than MX Player, it's the VLC of Android (which is getting an Android release actually someday). And it will test your device and tell you if and what codec you need, if you need one.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've found BS Player do to everything MX Player can do and more, not to mention it still supports DTS which MX Player removed support for due to licensing issues. Although if you're willing to mess around with finding the right codecs you can get it to work again.

That said though the free version of BS Player is ad supported.

For IRC I've found AndroIRC to be the best (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androirc)

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Is there any point in installing a "cleaner" app that clears cache and some data that isn't being used anymore? I have the feeling my android device is getting cluttered.
I just typed cleaner in the play store and found some different apps. But I have no idea if: a) they're legit, and b) if they are necessary.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sdmaid cleared out about 55mb of unused orphaned crap on my phone, even unrooted so I'd recommend that, even though it assumes you designed the app & therefore know what all the buttons do.

(Ui is poor)

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rolleyes posted:

Maplin had dedicated cams for this last time I was in there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

beedeebee posted:

Is there any point in installing a "cleaner" app that clears cache and some data that isn't being used anymore? I have the feeling my android device is getting cluttered.
I just typed cleaner in the play store and found some different apps. But I have no idea if: a) they're legit, and b) if they are necessary.

I just do it by hand, I tried SDMaid but it kept deleting my Kariosoft saves :arghfist:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kerbtree posted:

Maplin had dedicated cams for this last time I was in there.

I've literally just come back from maplins & looked at what they had on offer. 640x480 for £40 ( plus an identical branded copy with a suction mount & 4gb card for £80), 720x? For £60, 1080x? For £120.

I'd venture £40 on the cheapo one, maplins have a good return policy.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Thanks guys, but considering that I've already got the smartphone which can do the same with that DailyRoads app (as well as providing GPS logging with the video) it seems a bit daft to be spending that much money on a standalone device. I'll try with the phone for now and if it turns out to be more of a hassle than I thought I'll bear Maplin in mind.

/end of dashcam derail.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I just recently bought a Nexus 7 for school and basic use, and I'm looking for an app that will manage my PDF documents and allow for better overall PDF viewing than the standard viewer. I didn't notice anything in the op, so I'm sorry if I missed it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rolleyes posted:

Thanks guys, but considering that I've already got the smartphone which can do the same with that DailyRoads app (as well as providing GPS logging with the video) it seems a bit daft to be spending that much money on a standalone device. I'll try with the phone for now and if it turns out to be more of a hassle than I thought I'll bear Maplin in mind.

/end of dashcam derail.

There's a guy called Techmoan on Youtube that reviews a lot of dashcams in a lot of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

PSA for those frustrated by not being able to use LastPass with Chrome:

There is a workaround!
http://0xndc.tumblr.com/post/29837855851/chrome-for-android-and-the-lastpass-bookmarklet

Works pretty well for me, too.

Edit: gently caress it, can't get the URL to format right with awful betamax.

Lemons fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 31, 2012

• Locked thread