Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Downhome posted:

Is there a litter here that most of you guys deem as "the best"?

I really like Dr. Elsey's. I used their Cat Attract for a while after having a cat with some peeing issues, but moved to their less expensive "Ultra" in the blue bag after a year or so of the peeing being under control and really like it. I have found it to the the least dusty of the unscented scoopable clays I have found. I was using the Arm and Hammer Naturals, but I'm pretty sure that was the reason the cat started peeing outside the box. I don't think he liked the corn based litters. I've heard good things about the Blue that others have mentioned, but I'm scared to try anything new with my one cat. I've probably tried no fewer than 20 different litters in my 17 years of owning my my own cats. I was trying to make a list and stopped at 20. I'm a crazy cat lady apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Chaco posted:

Cat herpes is not an STD, it's a respiratory virus that causes snotty noses and goopy eyes. It is highly contagious and usually kittens acquire it from mom, so most of them have it.

I looked at her today, and her goopy eye is gone. However, her other eye is a little bit cloudy, so if snow tonight and tomorrow morning isn't bad then I'm taking her to the vet.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

hhgtrillian posted:

I really like Dr. Elsey's. I used their Cat Attract for a while after having a cat with some peeing issues, but moved to their less expensive "Ultra" in the blue bag after a year or so of the peeing being under control and really like it. I have found it to the the least dusty of the unscented scoopable clays I have found. I was using the Arm and Hammer Naturals, but I'm pretty sure that was the reason the cat started peeing outside the box. I don't think he liked the corn based litters. I've heard good things about the Blue that others have mentioned, but I'm scared to try anything new with my one cat. I've probably tried no fewer than 20 different litters in my 17 years of owning my my own cats. I was trying to make a list and stopped at 20. I'm a crazy cat lady apparently.

I'm surprised nobody's talking about silica (sodium silicate) kitty litter. It's more expensive but you end up using half the quantity of a clay-based litter, and you get close to no odor if scooped periodically.

My only issue with it is the cost, but how could I complain?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I don't think many people here use crystal litter... I don't use it because they're pretty nasty if the cats eat them (and I have :downs: kittens) but also with two cats, I suspect I'd end up using more $$$ worth of crystals than clumping litter because I'd be changing it every 1.5 weeks to avoid piss puddles when the crystals reach capacity.

In terms of actual litter I do use, I just use my local pet store's brand of clay clumping litter. I've had no issues with it and have never had stink problems unless one of the cats drops a bomb and doesn't cover it up.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Tony Sorete posted:

I'm surprised nobody's talking about silica (sodium silicate) kitty litter. It's more expensive but you end up using half the quantity of a clay-based litter, and you get close to no odor if scooped periodically.

My only issue with it is the cost, but how could I complain?

I'm pretty sure my one cat that is picky about litter would hate the silica litter like he did the corn. I don't really like the feel of it either. I think it is pretty much the same as the desiccant I used to use in a lab, and I don't particularly like the feel of it myself. It's a bit like fingers on a chalkboard to me.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Hat has spent the last half hour meticulously licking a four-inch spot on the bedsheet. There is no food on it. He looked like he was grooming it.

Why would he do that?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

marshmallard posted:

Hat has spent the last half hour meticulously licking a four-inch spot on the bedsheet. There is no food on it. He looked like he was grooming it.

Why would he do that?

:ohdear: Is this abnormal? Indy does that to blankets and pillows sometimes.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

marshmallard posted:

Why would he do that?

Because he's a cat?

No, seriously it could be that the spot has a slightly different texture than the rest of the bedsheet.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

My cat Willow has pretty much healed up without me having to take her to the vet. She's as fine and spry as ever. No more goop and no more cloudy eyes plus the snow storm has subsided.

Yesterday afternoon during the snowstorm, I picked up an outdoor or stray cat that was looking for warmth. He has a collar but no tag. This afternoon, I'm taking my two youngest kittens to get their final set of shots, so he's coming along with us. Hopefully, he's got a a chip. I'd really like to find the owner. Also, he's sickly as in sneezing quite a lot and really skinny. My girlfriend used some cat wipes to clean him up a bit. The only other thing is he has an unbearable smell. I guess he was living in one of the sewer openings and foraging through the nearby dumpsters or maybe he is just a naturally smelly cat. I don't know what it is but the girlfriend and I have dubbed him Sewer Cat.

Here's pictures of sewer cat

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mad Pino Rage posted:

My girlfriend used some cat wipes to clean him up a bit.
Yeah, this isn't going to help; cat'll need an actual bath to clean up.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
This cat is so awesome.

His original name was Mr. Bigglesworth but it was bullshit because he doesn't even look like the cat from Austin Powers. So I named him Zucca (Italian for pumpkin.) I made him a litter box with some dirt and he hasn't used it yet. He poo poo in my room the other day but it was my fault. I had made a little bed for him out of an old sheet (but he prefers to stay on the bed with me) and he got up and went to it and started pawing at it and I was like "oh cool he's gonna use the bed that's so cute" then he started crapping. Instead of just letting him poo poo on the sheet and throwing it out, I panicked and picked him up and tried to put him outside so there was a trail of cat turds across my floor.

He didn't seem too stressed about the situation and I put the litterbox I made in the same spot so hopefully he'll poop there.

I'm really kinda attached and I'd love to take him home with me but I can't even imagine the goddamn paperwork and hassle. Also we live in an apartment and we have a nice leather couch and nice curtains that I don't want to get all hosed up. It's just not possible so I'll make him happy while I'm here and make sure someone else takes care of him when I leave. That's the plan anyway.

baw fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 30, 2012

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

AtomikKrab posted:

:ohdear: Is this abnormal? Indy does that to blankets and pillows sometimes.

I've seen Grumples nuzzling on fluffy things before but just repetitively licking a bit of fabric seemed a bit odd to me.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Yeah, this isn't going to help; cat'll need an actual bath to clean up.

Yeah, he got one just a minute ago after we got back from the vet. He's got a respiratory and eye infection. Other than that, he's a sweet cat. We got him some meds, flea control, and dewormer, and I made him a little bed since he's probably going to be with us until he gets neutered... January 22nd. :sigh: I think I'm the owner of six cats now.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

baw posted:

This cat is so awesome.

His original name was Mr. Bigglesworth but it was bullshit because he doesn't even look like the cat from Austin Powers. So I named him Zucca (Italian for pumpkin.) I made him a litter box with some dirt and he hasn't used it yet. He poo poo in my room the other day but it was my fault. I had made a little bed for him out of an old sheet (but he prefers to stay on the bed with me) and he got up and went to it and started pawing at it and I was like "oh cool he's gonna use the bed that's so cute" then he started crapping. Instead of just letting him poo poo on the sheet and throwing it out, I panicked and picked him up and tried to put him outside so there was a trail of cat turds across my floor.

He didn't seem too stressed about the situation and I put the litterbox I made in the same spot so hopefully he'll poop there.

I'm really kinda attached and I'd love to take him home with me but I can't even imagine the goddamn paperwork and hassle. Also we live in an apartment and we have a nice leather couch and nice curtains that I don't want to get all hosed up. It's just not possible so I'll make him happy while I'm here and make sure someone else takes care of him when I leave. That's the plan anyway.

Orange cats are the guaranteed best cats. I'll enable you and let you know that the paperwork to bring a kitty back from Europe is very minimal and most cats leave leather furniture alone as long as you have something else for them to scratch. You should consider taking him to a local vet for a checkup, chip check, and to get some general wellness stuff done (shots, etc). As for the litter box, you can try some other substrates. I'm sure there is probably some sort of unscented clay at your local pet store or in the pet aisle at your grocery mart.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Enelrahc posted:

Orange cats are the guaranteed best cats. I'll enable you and let you know that the paperwork to bring a kitty back from Europe is very minimal and most cats leave leather furniture alone as long as you have something else for them to scratch. You should consider taking him to a local vet for a checkup, chip check, and to get some general wellness stuff done (shots, etc). As for the litter box, you can try some other substrates. I'm sure there is probably some sort of unscented clay at your local pet store or in the pet aisle at your grocery mart.

I'm in Afghanistan for work right now and he's just the local cat that wanders around on the very small FOB we're on. I live in Italy so that's where I'd have to get paperwork for and I'm gonna get some information about it just out of curiosity (if it's anything like other Italian bureaucracies, then it's probably a big ordeal.) I've heard of people bringing back dogs and I'm sure it isn't impossible but it wouldn't be easy. He's lived his life here and I think he'll be alright after I leave.

Hopefully he likes poopin' in dirt because it's all i have for him to poop in.

edit:

wow that is super easy to bring a cat to the US and i can't imagine it being much more complicated for europe. hmm

edit 2:

also thank you kaworu for your advice on the litter box i really thought there was something magical about cat litter that made them like pooping in it :blush:

baw fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 30, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

marshmallard posted:

I've seen Grumples nuzzling on fluffy things before but just repetitively licking a bit of fabric seemed a bit odd to me.
Patches will groom a body pillow that's about six or so times her size as if it were her kitten. For hours.

Diagnosis: cat.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

marshmallard posted:

I once had a cat that loved to lick pictures. Photographs. True story. Cats are weird.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

baw posted:

I'm in Afghanistan for work right now and he's just the local cat that wanders around on the very small FOB we're on. I live in Italy so that's where I'd have to get paperwork for and I'm gonna get some information about it just out of curiosity (if it's anything like other Italian bureaucracies, then it's probably a big ordeal.) I've heard of people bringing back dogs and I'm sure it isn't impossible but it wouldn't be easy. He's lived his life here and I think he'll be alright after I leave.

Hopefully he likes poopin' in dirt because it's all i have for him to poop in.

edit:

wow that is super easy to bring a cat to the US and i can't imagine it being much more complicated for europe. hmm

edit 2:

also thank you kaworu for your advice on the litter box i really thought there was something magical about cat litter that made them like pooping in it :blush:

Oops my bad. Into Italy seems pretty straightforward as well - ISO microchip, rabies vaccination, bilingual health certificate. I don't think it would be different coming from Afghanistan, but you'd have to check with Italy's version of the animal regulatory body, whatever that is.

In any case, good on you for helping the kitty in a less than cat friendly area. I'm sure he appreciates having a buddy!

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!

This lord of the derp is Moo Cow, and he has a sniffle. He's on antibiotics, but in the meantime he's licked his nose so much that he's got an irritation just above one nostril. Since he is a cat and can't understand concepts like "don't eat vaseline", is there anything we can do to protect him from himself?

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
My kitten goes nuts around the laser pointer. She gets excited as soon as I pick it up before I even turn it on.

This is all well and good but she does something rather odd. She makes clicking noises, opening her mouth with her bottom jaw shivering up and down rapidly. It's almost like she's trying to produce a sound her body won't allow.

I've backed off using the laser pointer (except when she finds the pointer and makes the "give me attention" whine while nudging it) until I understand what this behavior is. I can take a video if needed.

Is this normal? She's an otherwise intelligent and well behaved (if not overly affectionate) kitten normally.

edit: I'm concerned that she's frustrated she doesn't understand how it works but knows the thing's intangible and can never actually be caught. Or it's the only toy that can move fast enough to keep her entertained with that ridiculous goku-like kitten agility.

diadem fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 31, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
That's a hunting noise. Many cats do it while watching birds out the window. Not weird.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

baw posted:

And if the dirt doesn't work, you could try shredded paper if you have access to any newspaper or something like that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

diadem posted:

This is all well and good but she does something rather odd. She makes clicking noises, opening her mouth with her bottom jaw shivering up and down rapidly. It's almost like she's trying to produce a sound her body won't allow.

Completely normal. Our female does it whenever I pick up a toy, but haven't placed it within reach yet. If I mimic her, she'll do it even more. Adorable!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

diadem posted:

My kitten goes nuts around the laser pointer. She gets excited as soon as I pick it up before I even turn it on.

I've backed off using the laser pointer (except when she finds the pointer and makes the "give me attention" whine while nudging it) until I understand what this behavior is. I can take a video if needed.

Is this normal? She's an otherwise intelligent and well behaved (if not overly affectionate) kitten normally.

edit: I'm concerned that she's frustrated she doesn't understand how it works but knows the thing's intangible and can never actually be caught. Or it's the only toy that can move fast enough to keep her entertained with that ridiculous goku-like kitten agility.

It is completely normal and means, I wanna eat that thing really bad, and its the cat imagining/practicing the kill bite.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My parent's cat would chirp all the time at birds or any bugs that got in the house. I miss the sound, I thought it was hilarious. My cats just do a regular meow or are silent.

Here's another cat doing it while watching birds out a window: http://youtu.be/l0jfFdg647E

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Asiina posted:

My parent's cat would chirp all the time at birds or any bugs that got in the house. I miss the sound, I thought it was hilarious. My cats just do a regular meow or are silent.

Here's another cat doing it while watching birds out a window: http://youtu.be/l0jfFdg647E

Good. That's the sound I was talking about.

Thanks for the relief, all!

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
We took the collar off our cat because she was practically shredding it from scratching her neck area. It's been about a month now and she seems to have these scars and wounds around her neck still. It looks like a bug bite that's been scratched raw.

Is there something else we should be looking out for?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Dragyn posted:

We took the collar off our cat because she was practically shredding it from scratching her neck area. It's been about a month now and she seems to have these scars and wounds around her neck still. It looks like a bug bite that's been scratched raw.

Is there something else we should be looking out for?

Was it just a normal collar? Have you had her checked for fleas otherwise? Probably the scabs are itchy so she keeps scratching them and thus making it worse, but it could be an actual problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife and I have been watching two cats for a friend from work while he and his wife await base housing. They house-sat for us while we went on Christmas vacation. We came back, and our apartment had a distinctly gross odor. We've washed almost everything (curtains are next), and found two spots where there had been urine (one on a rug, the other on the carpet from a litter-box splash zone), but the apartment still smells fairly strongly almost a day after we got back. We're thinking about getting the carpets cleaned, but is there anything else we could be missing, or is this just going to take some time?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Is there a good spot online for cat toys and stuff? My local pet store has pretty crappy selection. I just got two new kitties I love, but they are in the hiding phase of adjusting. I just want to get something they will enjoy because I understand they are scared, but it breaks my heart that they are in one tiny spot for hours a day becuse they are scared. I have seen both use their litter box, and they both have eaten some of their food. I just wanna make them feel at home and loved and waiting for them to come out is so heartbreaking.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Was it just a normal collar? Have you had her checked for fleas otherwise? Probably the scabs are itchy so she keeps scratching them and thus making it worse, but it could be an actual problem.

I'd say its a pretty normal collar, nothing unusual about it. She sleeps on our bed when we aren't around and I've yet to see a single flea around.

It may just be residual scars, but that begs a few questions. Why did she get the scars in the first place, and how do I get her to stop making it worse?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

waah posted:

Is there a good spot online for cat toys and stuff? My local pet store has pretty crappy selection. I just got two new kitties I love, but they are in the hiding phase of adjusting. I just want to get something they will enjoy because I understand they are scared, but it breaks my heart that they are in one tiny spot for hours a day becuse they are scared. I have seen both use their litter box, and they both have eaten some of their food. I just wanna make them feel at home and loved and waiting for them to come out is so heartbreaking.

Amazon. Also, just leave them alone for now. Let them come out on their own. You can call their names and hang out in the room and toss treats to encourage them to come out, but don't get in their face about it. Since they're eating and using the litterbox they're doing great.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

hooah posted:

My wife and I have been watching two cats for a friend from work while he and his wife await base housing. They house-sat for us while we went on Christmas vacation. We came back, and our apartment had a distinctly gross odor. We've washed almost everything (curtains are next), and found two spots where there had been urine (one on a rug, the other on the carpet from a litter-box splash zone), but the apartment still smells fairly strongly almost a day after we got back. We're thinking about getting the carpets cleaned, but is there anything else we could be missing, or is this just going to take some time?

There is usually a pad beneath the carpet to add extra cushion. It is probable that the urine soaked into the sponge like pad. Luckily you can easily cut off large swaths of pad and replace it cheap and easily. Pull up the carpet in the piss areas and check the pad.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
How often is it normal for a cat to vomit? I have a two year old male cat that typically vomits liquid once a week (not a hairball). My other cat, a bengal, is on the same food (Natural Balance, wet) and does just fine. Apart from the vomiting, he seems perfectly OK. Should I see a vet?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo for cats? We just took my cat to the vet and he told us to give her a bath about once a week or so for a while because she has mild skin problems.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Maximusi posted:

How often is it normal for a cat to vomit? I have a two year old male cat that typically vomits liquid once a week (not a hairball). My other cat, a bengal, is on the same food (Natural Balance, wet) and does just fine. Apart from the vomiting, he seems perfectly OK. Should I see a vet?

I'm not really a cat expert, but based on the experience I had with my own cat you should see a vet. (My ten year old cat hasn't vomited once in the four months I've had her now. If she started suddenly vomiting once a week I would freak out.)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, my 6-year-old cat rarely vomits, and when she does it's semi-intentional, like munching on a bunch of cat grass she knows she won't digest in order to have a nice cleansing barf. The last time she barfed was a day or so after getting a shot of antibiotics for an infected ingrown claw she got removed, which was also understandable.

Basically, if your cat is throwing up a lot or on a regular basis something is wrong and a vet visit is in order. It may not be an emergency, but it's worth checking out.

edit: On a more general note I must state again what an exceptionally amazing feline my cat, Jackie, is. I have a really really really really hard time with the holidays, and seeing certain members of my extended and immediate family all in one place can be pretty goddamn painful and taxing in a "upper middle class white person problem" sort of way.

In any case, there were nights I came home just half-growling half-screaming at Jackie to leave me alone because I was in such an awful, black mood. And she did leave me alone. But I remember on that first awful night the second I started feeling a little bitter I looked in the direction of the kitchen and called out softly "Jackie? You there? It's okay now."

And I immediately saw a very concerned kitty-face peering around the corner and then padding right over to the couch and immediately jumping up to purr in my lap. No walking on my laptop, no annoying walking around and being all coy about her affections like cats are wont to do, she just immediately went exactly where I wanted her to be and let me hold her for a long longer than usual. Then she settled down on the couch next to me and proceeded to just keep me company for the rest of the night. She really can be difficult at times and impossibly picky about what she eats, but I swear she is THE most naturally empathic cat I've ever known. If I'm ever in emotional crisis she has never failed to do exactly the right thing. She's not as good with physical crisis, as she tends to get in the way if I have a stomach-ache or something, but hey. Nobody's perfect.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 2, 2013

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Figaro doesn't like it when I'm sad. If I'm watching a movie that makes me cry or if something upsetting happens in my life he's always right there chirping at me wondering what's wrong. Then he sits on my lap and goes to sleep. He's not a lap cat normally, he will sleep on you when you're asleep but that's about it. Unless I'm sad, then he's glued to me. It's sweet really, he's a good cat. Except when he's not, of course (which is most of the time.)

As far as the vomiting cat question goes, Figaro is super fluffy and extremely anal when it comes to being clean. Combining that with the fact that he makes sure the fat cat is also extremely clean means that once every three weeks or so I find a furball. That he likes to eat all things plastic doesn't do him any favors either. Fat cat hasn't been sick since I've had him (about a year and a half.) If either started being sick weekly I'd take them to the vet, especially if it's liquid and/or foamy.

motherfish
Nov 11, 2005

Dragyn posted:

We just got a pair of these:

http://www.petco.com/product/100573/PetSafe-2-Meal-Feeder.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

If you have an especially tenacious cat, they may be able to get them open. SO far I haven't had any trouble with them.

I need an automatic feeder myself that can handle wetfood so I was reading up reviews on these, however it seem it's tricky to get both lids popping up at the very same second confirm/deny? I got two cats so I can't have any delay between them...

Anyone know of other feeders that are wetfood friendly by the way?

VVVVV Aw man, thank you though!

motherfish fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

motherfish posted:

I need an automatic feeder myself that can handle wetfood so I was reading up reviews on these, however it seem it's tricky to get both lids popping up at the very same second confirm/deny? I got two cats so I can't have any delay between them...

Anyone know of other feeders that are wetfood friendly by the way?

Confirm. I can usually get within about 10 minutes of each other, but it'd be impossible to get them at the same time, since they're completely analog.

On a related note; fat cat has mastered the art of opening it. I'm going to build an apparatus that will cause the food to drop down from it into a bowl so he can't mess with it.