Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

So, status:

- Jake, as we see, is waffling over the question of Dirk, and completely ignoring all incoming messages, not that anyone's trying anymore for a while.
- Dirk has his hands full of muscles dealing with his ludicrous sprite and various related issues.
- Jane was last seen sadjumping in her house's general direction and, at best, is sulking in there now.
- Roxy is invisible. Her messages aren't, but might as well be because nobody's gonna be answering. (Possibly she'll try Jane next and we'll see what, if anything, is going on there.)
I'm starting to think the B2 kids are turning into the A1 trolls, given how useless they are being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is what happens when you let 16-year-olds play instead of 13-year-olds. :argh: :emo:

Oxxidation posted:

Looks like Treestuck is finally getting ready to pull the trigger on Cascade. Personally I figured she'd dropped it for good like every other Tumblr read-along, so that's nice.

I'm amused she seems to think the A1 trolls will be harassing the B2 kids. It's a reasonable guess to make, and I think some of us guessed it would happen, too. But she's so wrong. :D

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

This is what happens when you let 16-year-olds play instead of 13-year-olds. :argh: :emo:

I'm amused she seems to think the A1 trolls will be harassing the B2 kids. It's a reasonable guess to make, and I think some of us guessed it would happen, too. But she's so wrong. :D

Well, there was one exception.

Although if anything, the B1 kids were harassed more by the A1 trolls considered John was on the receiving end of thrown tridents not once, but twice.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Two exceptions!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Gay as hell.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Anyone else getting a server error on the tinyurl link?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

mightygerm posted:

Here if you can't see it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

mightygerm posted:

yep.

e: beaten, and fixed now.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Two brain damaged idiots talking to each other?

Two brain damaged idiots talking to each other.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jake, don't be racist to the horrible space monster. Gosh!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Jake English you manipulable rube, get your poo poo together.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
So now jake english's reputation of believing everything everyone tells him without question is finally gonna start loving things up for our heroes

Edit: new theory, caliborn's need to keep pushing himself further and further to improve himself causes him to create lord english as a sparring partner. he gives him all of his abilities to make it an even match, as well as naming him after jake as a tribute to his first manbro gay challenge buddy. i guess lord english goes out of control though? maybe caliborn can't rise to the challenge and overcome his own self, and as a result lord english starts rampaging through paradox space trying to fine calliope

Rooreelooo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 31, 2012

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I like to think that Caliborn is completely loving himself over in both the short and long runs by associating with Jake in any way.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

What the hell is Jake holding in the drawing there? It looks like... a briefcase wearing a green smurf hat?

edit: I wish I still had my childhood etch-e-sketch so I could make some Caliborn fanart.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Bobulus posted:

What the hell is Jake holding in the drawing there? It looks like... a briefcase wearing a green smurf hat?

edit: I wish I still had my childhood etch-e-sketch so I could make some Caliborn fanart.

What Pumpkin?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Guys I think Caliborn might be a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Fat_Cow posted:

Here if you can't see it.

That wasn't too nice!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I just realized that he traced it over Dirk and Jake's picture.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seriously? That's a pumpkin? I can see it, but, wow, Hussie went out of his way to make it extra lovely.

edit: So this is apparently replacing his old wallpaper...

Does it mean anything that two face masks have been replaced with a Cal head and a pumpkin?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 31, 2012

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So, now Jake is the first(?) character to learn what Cherubs actually look like. I wonder how that's going to affect things.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

KaosMachina posted:

So, now Jake is the first(?) character to learn what Cherubs actually look like. I wonder how that's going to affect things.

He will never make the connection by himself that Caliborn is a green skull monster.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Caliborn is acting a lot like Vriska here: trying to raise a powerful adversary for him to defeat in a massive battle, working hard to be the absolute best and most powerful he can possibly be, associating with pages and telling them to work hard and not be so weak and useless, among others. I wonder what this means for him in the future.

Caliborn = Vriska - intelligence + misogyny.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

KaosMachina posted:

You're assuming that there are relevant brain processes going on up there in that empty skull of his.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I remember back when I wondered just how Grandpa could have possibly believed it to be a good idea to let a toddler play with guns, without being either a complete lunatic, or as stupid as hell.

Enter, Jake English. :downs:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Funny how Caliborn thinks the girls are incompetent and the guys are competent when it's pretty much the other way around.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Funny how Caliborn thinks the girls are incompetent and the guys are competent when it's pretty much the other way around.

Dirk is kind of nuts, but you can't really call him incompetent.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Dirk is the most competent person on the team, he just has the emotional intelligence of a confused turtle.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Fat_Cow posted:

Gay as hell.

What a silly way to end this conversation. I've got to say, Jake's portrayal has really been making him a grating presence to me. :c I daresay I might understand how some tumblr denizens feel negatively towards some characters.

Pentachronic Snail
Nov 2, 2011

Technique posted:

Dirk is the most competent person on the team, he just has the emotional intelligence of a confused turtle.

Could you tell me what the emotional intelligence of a confused turtle, or any turtle, would comprise of? I'm not sure if a turtle could handle Dirk problems.

I do enjoy that little doodle of Caliborn's. Just because it took me a few seconds to figure out what that orange blob was. And also that Jake looks horrified.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Caliborn considers "silver-tongued" an insult because Calliope has a literal silver tongue.

That drawing means something. The objects in the photo correspond to helmets, masks, and other head objects. Jake is holding a pumpkin (of which he has plenty), and Caliborn has Lil Cal's head. Pumpkins have been used as head objects in the past, but we've never seen Lil Cal beheaded (shredded yes, beheaded no); however, the last time we saw Lil Cal, he was sinking into the ocean, just like Lil Seb, who has a penchant for decapitations. The rabbit was sleeping inside a body, and Lord English was sleeping inside of a puppet. Dear. God. I. Am. Not. A. Religious. Man. But. Please. Help. Me. See. The. Connection. Here.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
"GT: Hey watch it now. Youre DARN TOOTIN i love to roughhouse!!!"

"uu: THIS IS GOING TO BE GAY AS HELL."

It's like both Caliborn and Jake English are vying for my heart

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Jake English posted:

GT: That maybe there is something special about me that nobody can understand. And maybe thats why i always seem to be botching things up the wazoo with my pals.

Jake, stop being 14 year old me, I hate that guy.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I've never cared much for Jake and still don't. His old-timey ignoramus shtick quickly becomes tiresome and I hope he doesn't end up being the key to defeating English, at least not unless he has a "holy gently caress I'm awful" breakdown like Dirk did and develops into someone tolerable.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

tinaun posted:

Caliborn is acting a lot like Vriska here: trying to raise a powerful adversary for him to defeat in a massive battle, working hard to be the absolute best and most powerful he can possibly be, associating with pages and telling them to work hard and not be so weak and useless, among others. I wonder what this means for him in the future.

Caliborn = Vriska - intelligence + misogyny.
Caliborn will never replace Vriska. :crossarms:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roger Explosion posted:

Caliborn will never replace Vriska. :crossarms:

And Jake is a piss-poor substitute for Jack. But they're doing the best with what they have to work with!

I love how Jake is so loving stupid that Caliborn is trying to connect with him because he thinks they share a learning disability. I wonder how much of this Hussie planned from the start and how much he tweaked based on the negative response to every non-Roxy Alpha kid.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

After listening my cousin bang on about "How the world really works" and "What women really like (surprise it's being treated like poo poo)", it was oddly reassuring to get home and see Caliborn - a villain - repeating these points and reasserting to me that by and large these lovely opinions are rightfully seen as the domain of obvious antagonists.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Oxxidation posted:

I wonder how much of this Hussie planned from the start and how much he tweaked based on the negative response to every non-Roxy Alpha kid.
Pretty sure most people like the Alpha kids well enough. Seemed like most of the hate came from a handful of people in this thread.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Now Jake will truly be Van Pelt.

Sonny Jim.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Pretty sure most people like the Alpha kids well enough. Seemed like most of the hate came from a handful of people in this thread.

Nah, there was a pretty large subset of the mspaforums, including people on the music + art teams, that lost interest pretty fast during the beginning of act six. They didn't really complain about it, just moved on to other things.

The non-roxy alpha kids have improved for me a lot in this subact, however.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I know one guy who's livid about Dirk, which makes some sense. Him getting all the coolest scenes, following the most conspicuously self-centered development of the eight, and having a very powerful personality means he gives the impression of being something of a plot hog. This is basically also the reason for a significant portion of the infamous Vriskachat we get around here.

More generally, one gets invested in the earlier-introduced characters, who then spend a lot of time off-screen while the story follows newcomers; it's exhausting keeping track of new problems and old problems, when all you want is to see what happens next.

Then there are those who assume Hussie pulled this all out of his rear end to avoid wrapping up the comic so he could sell more merch, an opinion which I think is motivated by some more deep-seated frustrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Caliborn behaving towards Jake a little like Vriska did to John…

What are the odds that the new year will ring in with Jake getting killed by the meteor (spherical object) and going godtier? I feel like I'm forgetting a few handfuls of important details in the process, though.