Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Here's my question for you, Wrestling Questions thread.

What are some examples of a wrestler being able to completely and totally change your personal opinion on them?

I ask this because a thought occurred to me about how much I used to hate Kane, and how flat-out entertaining he's been in the Team Hell No storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tyma posted:

I thought PWG had a pretty professional reputation, but a match where two guys just casually trade Vertebreakers with each other sounds indie as gently caress :{

It's the finish of a long match where two dudes spent the last 20 minutes destroying each other. It was kinda indie but it's not like they watched a bunch of All Japan tapes and used the burning hammer as a transitional move.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

What are some examples of a wrestler being able to completely and totally change your personal opinion on them?

I ask this because a thought occurred to me about how much I used to hate Kane, and how flat-out entertaining he's been in the Team Hell No storyline.

Usually for me it is someone I have high hopes for and then they get exposed like RVD.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bully Ray and Joe Park became incredibly entertaining after many boring years.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Mark Henry

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yup, Mark Henry is the main one. After 15 years of being mediocre big guy, to becoming one of the best monster heels in recent memory.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
X-Pac.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Abyss/Joseph Park and Bully Ray.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
The Undertaker

I didn't hate him or anything, but I used to think he was a mediocre wrestler who needed to retire. Then he feuded with Kurt Angle in 2006 and started having awesome matches, which carried over to his Wrestlemania matches with Batista/Edge/HBK/HHH.

Now I love him and want him to keep going as long as he can (even if he basically just comes back every year for WM)

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I used to hate Eve because she was a bland Kelly Kelly friend and also was bad at wrestling but after the terrible way she turned, she showed a lot of personality and her wrestling has improved too.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Bad to Good:
Mark Henry: House of Pain run
Bubba Ray: Bully Ray run

Good to Bad:
Randy Orton: Orton Man Love Locker room to his incredibly boring face run
Ken Kennedy: Realized how limited and dangerous he was. Also needs to learn a second promo.
Evan Bourne: poo poo upon talented low carder to drug addled fuckup deserving to be poo poo upon low carder.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 30, 2012

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I used to be the biggest Randy Savage mark in the world, but his entire WCW run did absolutely nothing for me.
He went from a guy who would keep my glued to the TV for 2 hours just to see him for a few minutes, to a guy I would flip the channel on after about 30 seconds.

Then I grew up, got on the internet, got into smarkdom, and read about what a drug-addled, paranoid, and woman-abusing mess he was in real life.
To say I despise him now would be way too strong however; I feel more pity than anything that he never really got the help for his personal issues at any time during his life.

Still, it dampens my spirits now watching his spectacular body of WWF work, even his WM7 reunion with Liz, knowing how everything turned out :smith:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Have there been any titles other than the ROH Pure and WWE Hardcore Championship that are contested under alternate rules for a finish?

edit: edit for pedantic sake.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 31, 2012

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

jscolon2.0 posted:

Have there been any titles other than the ROH Pure and WWE Hardcore Championship that are contested under alternate rules?

The Divas title requires the participants to be women.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Frot Lesnar posted:

The Divas title requires the participants to be women.

Not so sure about that. Punk considered taking it!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I hated Bret Hart as I still bought into a lot of kayfabe in 1998, until he dragged Van Hammer kicking and screaming into a 30-or-so-minute three-star match on a random Nitro in 1998. Then I got his appeal.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

This almost never happens for me. Just about every bad wrestler in the world has a small niche where they can be used less horribly, it doesn't make them good.

Take most of the ECW roster. Just about everyone in their who was good was either really broken down (Tazz, Terry Funk), or quickly snatched from the company (Foley, Austin, Benoit, Eddie), but Paul Heyman could still generally find a use for them even if the guys were really limited.

WWE has done this with the Miz, Mark Henry, the Funkasaurus, Kane, Ryback, and even (to a lesser extent) the Great Khali. My problem with this is WWE doesn't need to be pushing guys this crappy when they can have any wrestler they want, from any company they want, any time they want. Yet they keep doing it anyway.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

I hated Bret Hart as I still bought into a lot of kayfabe in 1998, until he dragged Van Hammer kicking and screaming into a 30-or-so-minute three-star match on a random Nitro in 1998. Then I got his appeal.

Was this the match?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gX6hut59gY

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I remember it being longer and Van Hammer being in his hippie gimmick, and I think this is early 1999 instead of late 1998, but it's entirely possible that I'm picturing an amalgam of different matches and that this is one of them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kofi Kingston feuded with Orton and I thought, hey he's pretty neat, now I think he's bland as all hell, and I hate seeing him on TV now. Basically I don't think I've ever gone, from not liking someone to liking them. I am neutral towards the Miz now where I used to not like him at all.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 31, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

I remember it being longer and Van Hammer being in his hippie gimmick, and I think this is early 1999 instead of late 1998, but it's entirely possible that I'm picturing an amalgam of different matches and that this is one of them.

Unless this guy has messed up, Bret and Hammer never had a match in 1998 on Nitro: http://kandd.shootangle.com/nitro98.html

However, I saw someone else on Wrestlezone Forums say, "I saw Bret and Van Hammer have a 45 minute match on Nitro, it was the best match I ever saw and nobody cared" so unless that was you as Flairfan misremembering, two people saw a match that never happened!

I must say, I hope this match does exist. The concept of such a carry job sounds legendary to me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Unless this guy has messed up, Bret and Hammer never had a match in 1998 on Nitro: http://kandd.shootangle.com/nitro98.html

However, I saw someone else on Wrestlezone Forums say, "I saw Bret and Van Hammer have a 45 minute match on Nitro, it was the best match I ever saw and nobody cared" so unless that was you as Flairfan misremembering, two people saw a match that never happened!

I must say, I hope this match does exist. The concept of such a carry job sounds legendary to me.

It sounds ALMOST plausible enough to exist. I mean, I'd buy Bret Hart carrying Van Hammer for half an hour to a solid match on a throwaway Nitro.

It's the new PSP Holy Grail.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord
Though I too would love to see Bret carry Van Hammer in a 30 minute classic, according to Cagematch, the already linked 10-minute match was the only one they ever had.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

FCW had a championship that was only contested in 15 mintute Iron Man matches. Brad Maddox was the last titel holder before the NXT changeover.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Devil Child posted:

WWE has done this with the Miz, Mark Henry, the Funkasaurus, Kane, Ryback, and even (to a lesser extent) the Great Khali. My problem with this is WWE doesn't need to be pushing guys this crappy when they can have any wrestler they want, from any company they want, any time they want. Yet they keep doing it anyway.

With the exception of the Miz (reality TV "star" who by all accounts really does love wrestling) all of the guys you listed are loving huge. Pretty sure that's the answer to your question right there.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Isn't Van Hammer a known goon via pictures he took of a lamp in his living room or something?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So we've all heard the stories, but just how involved are the yakuza in puro dealings?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

So we've all heard the stories, but just how involved are the yakuza in puro dealings?

very

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Has t here been any worse stupid finish than Test Vs. Bobby Lashley at Rumble '07, I believe it was?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yup. Other guy wasn't me. Maybe it was a Thunder? I was pretty sure it was a Nitro, though.

billy cuts posted:

Though I too would love to see Bret carry Van Hammer in a 30 minute classic, according to Cagematch, the already linked 10-minute match was the only one they ever had.
drat. Very weird that I'm not the only person who remembers a match that never happened.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

Has t here been any worse stupid finish than Test Vs. Bobby Lashley at Rumble '07, I believe it was?

vince mcmahon came out during Rhino vs Tajiri and told them to stop wrestling the match is over. the show then merely moved on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Capsaicin posted:

There is the time that Abyss black hole slammed AJ Styles through the ring and the match was immediately ruled a no contest, so despite knocking out AJ, Abyss didn't win the TNA title. Then Nigel and Flair fell into the hole.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Capsaicin posted:

You might as well post this in the "WCW Stupidity" topic, because they would dominate any Top 10 Dumbest Finishes list.

My personal favorite was the "Powerbomb" match between Nash and Sid.
No pinfalls, No DQ, the only way to win was to powerbomb your opponent.
Ref get bumped, Sid powerbombs Nash while the ref is out.
Someone interferes to lay out Sid, Nash recovers, starts to powerbomb Sid but decides he's too lazy to actually do so.
Nash wakes up the ref, tells him powerbombed Sid, and the ref awards the match to Nash.

So Nash won the "Powerbomb" match without ever doing a powerbomb.

EDIT:
It was loving Starrcade 1999, yes Starrcade, WCW's biggest show of the year.
Yes, the only Russo-booked Starrcade.
Also Jeff Jarrett hit Sid with a guitar. For some reason.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 31, 2012

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Capsaicin posted:

Relative to the platform, I'm going with Wrestlemania XXVII Main Event, which ended in a double countout, then was restarted, and then ended with the Rock interfering for the Miz.

Easily one of my least favorite matches ever, and relative to the platform, probably the worst since Hogan/Sting at Starrcade '97.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Devil Child posted:

Relative to the platform, I'm going with Wrestlemania XXVII Main Event, which ended in a double countout, then was restarted, and then ended with the Rock interfering for the Miz.

Easily one of my least favorite matches ever, and relative to the platform, probably the worst since Hogan/Sting at Starrcade '97.

Okay it was an undeniably lovely finish but holy Christ you did not just put it in the same breath as Starrcade, did you? Starrcade '97 was arguably the very very beginning of the end for WCW.

Oh and that match was probably called on the fly because Miz was concussed to hell.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

THere was a match in WCW between Malenko and ?Kidman? I think where a stipulation was you couldn't touch the floor or you'd lose. Either Dean forgot the stip or no one loving told him about it because he rolls out after like 2 minutes to catch a breather and the bell rings. I want to say I remember Dean looking around like he was really confused.

vv: fair enough

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 31, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

oldpainless posted:

THere was a match in WCW between Malenko and ?Kidman? I think where a stipulation was you couldn't touch the floor or you'd lose. Either Dean forgot the stip or no one loving told him about it because he rolls out after like 2 minutes to catch a breather and the bell rings. I want to say I remember Dean looking around like he was really confused.
That doesn't really count because it was not the planned finish.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay it was an undeniably lovely finish but holy Christ you did not just put it in the same breath as Starrcade, did you? Starrcade '97 was arguably the very very beginning of the end for WCW.

Oh and that match was probably called on the fly because Miz was concussed to hell.

Miz was only concussed to hell after the Double Countout, and the match was poo poo before then. If they were calling it on the fly because of injurf, they would've ended it after that.

I don't think the match was quite as bad as Starrcade '97, but definitely in the category. Largely because of the forum, but also because I actually expect respectable matches from Cena, and sometimes, even good ones. I haven't expected those from Sting since '94, and even longer for Hogan.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Devil Child posted:

Miz was only concussed to hell after the Double Countout, and the match was poo poo before then. If they were calling it on the fly because of injurf, they would've ended it after that.

I don't think the match was quite as bad as Starrcade '97, but definitely in the category. Largely because of the forum, but also because I actually expect respectable matches from Cena, and sometimes, even good ones. I haven't expected those from Sting since '94, and even longer for Hogan.

No, he was concussed on the spot that led to the DCO. I'm pretty sure the DCO only occurred because of the concussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SamuraiFoochs posted:

No, he was concussed on the spot that led to the DCO. I'm pretty sure the DCO only occurred because of the concussion.

That's what I meant when I said "after the DCO," since "concussed" implies that a previous event gave him a concussion, which was stated by "after." If they were planning a spot where Miz wouldn't have had to bump anymore, they wouldn't have done this.