Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

greatn posted:

Yeah she did.

No Mark. Clinton won more delegates than Obama in the primary, 65 to 61, however Obama won the caucuses by a much wider margin giving him the overall victory: 99 to 94.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's like Nixon never left us :allears:

Nixon may have left us, but the network of true believer conservatives that he rode to power never did. Nixon was just a opportunistic vessel, smart and politically nihilistic enough to read the tea leaves and use their operatives for dirty tricks, all the while the GOP establishment held their noses at such things. Those GOP moderates and liberals found themselves on the ropes soon enough, largely thanks to dirty tricks, and low and behold, 50 years later, they're still pulling dirty tricks: only now they are the establishment and foundation of the party.

Republicans win elections because they're not afraid to cheat, lie and steal.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/national-affairs/how-republicans-cheat-democrats-and-democrats-cheat-themselves-20120612

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

It was the texas two-step. You had a caucus, which Obama won, and then an election, which he lost. He walked away with more delegates, though Hillary claimed victory because the election was all that mattered and the caucuses were silly things.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I would unironically support more states adopting the dumbfuck Texas primary system because the hilarity would be magnificent.

Also, because there's something to be said for having a candidate prove they can work both the ballot box and the caucus, would certainly make campaigns step up their ground operations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Dancer posted:

So, I'm kinda new to the scene of US politics. Joe, do you predict any kind of actual comedy (even one quarter of what we got in this year's republican primary would be enough) from the Dem side of things? I know Obama vs. Clinton was heated, but was it actually... funny? (Were any other Dem primaries?)

I'm not sure if it made it to the archives but the HilaryIs44 thread was one of the crown jewels of LF. It started with a bunch of shrill but basically coherent Hilary supporters and ended maybe a degree or two away from the worst sort of freep insults aimed at Obama.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I'm not sure if it made it to the archives but the HilaryIs44 thread was one of the crown jewels of LF. It started with a bunch of shrill but basically coherent Hilary supporters and ended maybe a degree or two away from the worst sort of freep insults aimed at Obama.

To be fair though, the hilarity came from batshit nuts supporters, not the candidates themselves. In the Republican primary the insane seems much more evenly distributed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sil posted:

To be fair though, the hilarity came from batshit nuts supporters, not the candidates themselves. In the Republican primary the insane seems much more evenly distributed.

I have a nagging feeling that a more than measurable segment of the Tea Party is just old Hillary supporters from 2008 who were either the last pinch of Dixiecrats being voided, or just a bunch of bitter old blue dogs who took 2008 very personally.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I don't think PUMAs actually existed. They were some kind of Rovian nightmare golem.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh, they existed all right. I saw one at the precinct caucus. She was an old white lady in a raincoat, and her white-bearded husband wore a pained expression as she went on about how Hillary earned this, and who was this Obama anyway, and he doesn't have any experience and we don't know who he is, and HILLARY EARNED THIS :qq:

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Oh, they existed all right. I saw one at the precinct caucus. She was an old white lady in a raincoat, and her white-bearded husband wore a pained expression as she went on about how Hillary earned this, and who was this Obama anyway, and he doesn't have any experience and we don't know who he is, and HILLARY EARNED THIS :qq:

Hillary's life was, to some extent, a weird story of the woman doing everything she was required to and still not being let into the old boys' club. A lot of the reaction that many women had to the primaries reflects as much on the weirdness of American politics as it does on the fact that gender roles and relations in the country are still in flux.

e. And then of course there's the undercurrent of "If she'd had been a he..." which I have no idea about. I definitely think her views made her a worse choice than Obama, but that doesn't mean she lost because of her views(or that there's any way to know).

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Sil posted:

Hillary's life was, to some extent, a weird story of the woman doing everything she was required to and still not being let into the old boys' club. A lot of the reaction that many women had to the primaries reflects as much on the weirdness of American politics as it does on the fact that gender roles and relations in the country are still in flux.

e. And then of course there's the undercurrent of "If she'd had been a he..." which I have no idea about. I definitely think her views made her a worse choice than Obama, but that doesn't mean she lost because of her views(or that there's any way to know).

The 2008 election was also the story of someone who'd faced obstacles doing a whole lot of sneering and insinuation at a black guy who was never going to be welcome in the country club. The racial politics of the primary were no less insane, and Hillary lost largely because she hosed up the three biggest advantages she had - oddly by leaning on them too hard: her inevitability, her talent pool access, and her whiteness.

The first two she wasted by relying too much on old trusted associates who didn't know how the loving primaries worked, and she actually had a sizeable chunk of the black vote and a large chunk of the Hispanic vote before Iowa because there's a lot of skepticism among minorities about the electability of minority presidents. Then Bill got out there talking about fairy tales and Jesse Jackson and that was that.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I canvassed likely Democratic voters in 4 different states in 2008. I can confirm that they existed.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

B B posted:

I canvassed likely Democratic voters in 4 different states in 2008. I can confirm that they existed.

Yeah, the last two months or so of the Democratic primary were extremely intense and when you got into 'old democrat' territory like West Virginia and Indiana they came out in droves. From personal experience, I saw more vitriolic hatred and my first 'Obama is a gay commie muslim' slurs from Hillary voters in suburban Indianapolis.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary Clinton has been admitted to a hospital for treatment on a blood clot that developed as a result of a concussion she got from a fall earlier this month.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
poo poo. Those can be nasty.

Houston Euler
Nov 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The powers that be really don't want her to testify. :tinfoil:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Houston Euler posted:

The powers that be really don't want her to testify. :tinfoil:
Allen West actually believes this

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Marco Rubio hired two new staffers. Their last job? Advisers to the Mitt Romney 2012 campaign.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Joementum posted:

Marco Rubio hired two new staffers. Their last job? Advisers to the Mitt Romney 2012 campaign.

How can those guys possibly still get a job?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

api call girl posted:

How can those guys possibly still get a job?

As it is at the C-levels of corporate America, it's much more who you know than how competent you are.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Pope Guilty posted:

As it is at the C-levels of corporate America, it's much more who you know than how competent you are.

Consultants?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

api call girl posted:

Consultants?

CEO, COO, CFO, etc.

Or alternately, if the stories about political conventions are true, Callgirls.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
As expected, Cory Booker filed to run for the Senate today, a day after Politico threw out another hit piece on him, this time because he wrote an article describing his hatred of gays.

The article was written in 1992 and the article was about how his freshman counselor at Stanford broke through his religious beliefs on homosexuality, but details and whatnot. Someone is really scared of Cory Booker though!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

jeffersonlives posted:

As expected, Cory Booker filed to run for the Senate today, a day after Politico threw out another hit piece on him, this time because he wrote an article describing his hatred of gays.

The article was written in 1992 and the article was about how his freshman counselor at Stanford broke through his religious beliefs on homosexuality, but details and whatnot. Someone is really scared of Cory Booker though!

That's a pretty classic story of evolution of beliefs regarding homosexuality. If anything, it's going to resonate with voters, not scare them away.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd have said Hillary, but six months in office before running for Pres has to be a little soon. Maybe she just wasn't aware of his plans yet and wanted to cross the t's?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Eric Bolling at Fox News says Rand Paul will run for President in 2016.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ron's handing over the keys to the flying saucer once and for all I guess.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

What timeline does this leave us with? Corey Brooker for President in 2020? That seems legit enough.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 11, 2013

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Cheekio posted:

What timeline does this leave us with? Corey Brooker for President in 2020? That seems legit enough.

Most candidates don't really follow the Obama trajectory. He could very well just want to be a senator for a few terms and then maybe start thinking of a presidential run once he gets some elder statesman cachet.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I could see him being a VP choice in 2016 easily

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Yeah I see Cory Booker getting a Veep nod, even if that fails, he can attempt a presidential run after sitting in the Senate for a while. Either way, I imagine him being on the short line for a presidential run in the next 12 years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I think that will depend a lot on how well he does in the Senate, though. Being the Mayor of a city, no matter how big, allowed him to get down and dirty and do all the hands-on stuff that makes people like him. Whereas, the Senate gives him a national stage, but it also takes away his ability to go patrolling the streets and doing reality shows and forces him to do more policy-work and negotiating, etc. If he doesn't take to it, he might fade from the spotlight, and probably wouldn't be able to sustain a presidential run. Whereas, if he is able to sustain his charisma without the gimmicky stuff, he'll still go places. I have rather high hopes for Mr. Booker, but I am also a natural pessimist, so I won't try to guess what will happen.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Booker/Castro 2024?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

jeffersonlives posted:

Someone is really scared of Cory Booker though!

Hilariously, it's Frank Lautenberg (via his anonymous aide).

quote:

This guy is self-absorbed and disrespectful. It’s shameful that he avoided challenging a Republican just so that he can take on a long-serving, loyal Democrat.

An aide to Pallone is also quoted for some Booker bashing.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Well, Lautenberg should be afraid, because whoever is running the smear campaign seems to be incredibly incompetent. I mean, okay, I can buy the idea that I don't have any real historical perspective on this, and that somebody commissioned a hit piece on Guiliani about his connection to the mafia through his uncle or whatever. But publishing an article that underlines his gimmicky interaction with the media and the elites (and also underlining just how badly hosed Newark is, was, and most likely will continue to be), and then publishing an article about his juvenile homophobia (that underlines his advocacy and action for gay rights?) What, are they expecting everybody to just read the headline? If anything, it makes me like Booker more as a politician.

Unless that's what Booker For America wants me to feel? :tinfoil:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jonked posted:

What, are they expecting everybody to just read the headline?

That's worked before.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Joementum posted:

That's worked before.

Come on, don't hassle me. To be analogous in this situation, the headline would have to be on top of argument from Romney that Obama should nationalize the auto industry.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh, I agree with you that this isn't helping Lautenberg, except maybe with the NJ machine that's already in his pocket.

I just like poking fun at Mitt Romney.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Booker-Biden 2016 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't be bothered to read the constitution, can someone be elected VP for >2 terms?

• Locked thread