Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was a front-page article in I believe USA Today a couple days ago that was literally comparing Lego buying to the stock market and how much more profitable and low-risk it can be. So yeah, there's a lot of people doing it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
'Sup bi-weekly build buddies. Have some Formula Robo, which is something I just made up.

Basically someone put legs on a Formula One chassis and said "this is a good idea!"

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I want to see that thing stand up. Maybe you should put some brakes/stands on the backsides of the legs?

Other than that, it's pretty brilliant as an idea and I can certainly see it being one of many.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Why is it so loving hard to just get a minifig to hold handlebars in LDD. This poo poo is infuriating.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I want that on my shelf :allears:

:siren: more racers for the goon build :siren:

This is what happens when you spend the day listening to the F-Zero soundtrack: an Ice Planet-inspired colour scheme (no driver, the robots have entered the race) and Alien Conquest aliens who suddenly have a desire for a hawg.

I made sure that it spins all the way around, though I don't know what the best way to hold it would be if it were built.

Also, I may have been itching to watch Redline again, hence the giant engine in a dangerous position on a small ship.

Guzwar fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 30, 2012

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Picked up 70702 Warp Stinger tonight, and Galaxy Squad is insane. It's like Nijago in space, with bugs. Seriously, there is an 8 inch mosquito on my desk.

The mosquito spaceship is a little repetitive to build, but the snot work is great, and the parts are awesome. Lots of the sand color, along with bright green and dark red. And a purple ball, haven't seen a ball in awhile.

Main thing is the angle parts in it:
6 4278046 Angle plate 1x2/2x2
12 4654582 Angle plate 1x2/1x2
14 6000606 Angle plate 1x2/1x2
Plus a shitload of technic connectors.

The red/grey good guys look great, and I love the robot head. The alien's mosquito head is pretty cool. Definitely worth buying. Think I want 70704 next, as the car looks great.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Babby's first MOC :3:

It's some sort of spaceship or whatever

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Oh hey, it's the farthest I've gotten so far on a LDD project:

I haven't built legos seriously in like 12 years.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Poisonlizard posted:

Picked up 70702 Warp Stinger tonight, and Galaxy Squad is insane. It's like Nijago in space, with bugs. Seriously, there is an 8 inch mosquito on my desk.

The mosquito spaceship is a little repetitive to build, but the snot work is great, and the parts are awesome. Lots of the sand color, along with bright green and dark red. And a purple ball, haven't seen a ball in awhile.

Main thing is the angle parts in it:
6 4278046 Angle plate 1x2/2x2
12 4654582 Angle plate 1x2/1x2
14 6000606 Angle plate 1x2/1x2
Plus a shitload of technic connectors.

The red/grey good guys look great, and I love the robot head. The alien's mosquito head is pretty cool. Definitely worth buying. Think I want 70704 next, as the car looks great.

No kidding, I've picked up 4 of the sets so far (the only ones I'm missing are the Star Slicer, which I haven't seen in stores yet, and the Swarm Interceptor). I just put together the Vermin Vaporizer, and the number of new angle plates it uses for SNOT is crazy. The Horizon Express has a few of the new pieces, too, but Galaxy Squad is going crazy with them.

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time until Lego says 'gently caress it' and releases a half-dozen different pieces with studs on top and bottom.

Vermin Vaporizer surprised me with another new piece, a 4x4 plate with two clips.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Holy poo poo those are some amazing entries on this page.

3, what program was that made in?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww yiss. Bought in John Lewis in London.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Merchant of Death posted:

The resellers arent bad per say, they will help lego move more product and when they keep 'investing' in the big sets I like I am happy that lego keeps coming out with more of them because they sell.

I keep jokingly saying I'm providing liquidity in the LEGO marketspace, but it's kind of true. I'm buying when people want to sell -- such as WalMart's half off sales -- and selling when people want to buy -- months later when one person really wants that Recycling Truck but there's no more on the shelves because WalMart blew them out.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
I'm cross-posting from the Makerbot/3D Printing thread and I thought I'd ask the same question here. I was wondering if anyone had any experience converting .LDD files to .STL files for printing purposes? LDD is obviously pretty accessible to people who have no 3D modeling experience and I thought it'd be really fun to ask friends and family to build things and have me print them off. I guess you could ask why someone would have access to a 3D printer but no Lego bricks but, you know, whatever.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I have only bought a few NIB sets from resellers just because I missed out on them and/or it was cheaper then retail and I didn't want to wait for a sale.

It is a joke among resellers that fire brigade is only around because they keep speculating on it and buying it and lego keeps adding another production run.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Luminaflare posted:

Holy poo poo those are some amazing entries on this page.

3, what program was that made in?

I think it's just ldd with outlines hand-drawn on. Anyway it's fantastic.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Yep, just regular ol' LDD with some quick inking done in Flash.

The Muffinlord posted:

I want to see that thing stand up. Maybe you should put some brakes/stands on the backsides of the legs?

But one of the best things about LDD is that you don't have to bother with things like "physics!" If I ever make more FR racers, I'll probably start making more concessions to reality though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Chainsaw Ninja needed a fort, so we built him one. The only requirement is that it needs to eat three bad guys a day, and werewolves must be declawed first.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

3 posted:

Yep, just regular ol' LDD with some quick inking done in Flash.

But one of the best things about LDD is that you don't have to bother with things like "physics!" If I ever make more FR racers, I'll probably start making more concessions to reality though.

Ah, would you mind posting some shots of the back of it? I'm really curious as to how it's built.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Holy poo poo, giant burst of activity in the MOC-off, Everything's really drat good!. Love the formula robot racer.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sloppy posted:

Chainsaw Ninja needed a fort, so we built him one. The only requirement is that it needs to eat three bad guys a day, and werewolves must be declawed first.

That is pretty neat looking, looks like The Legion of Doom had their headquarters designed Medusa.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sloppy posted:

Wait...you have ANOTHER Blacktron base?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Luminaflare posted:

Ah, would you mind posting some shots of the back of it? I'm really curious as to how it's built.

Here, I'll do you one better. Anyone who wants to roll their own, feel free to grab that LXF and go bonkers.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

^^^ Very cool, I'll definitely be checking that out.

And look! I made a thing! And it's finished!

though yeah the back end is sort of halfassed and doesnt have 'engines'

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

I like it! Especially that offset rear section, gives it a lot of character.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

As good as the basic Lego wings are, I love love love to see brickbuilt wings. The shapes and colour patterns that can be built are too good to pass up.

Really digging the recessed parts, Buttz. Have you thought about just using grills for the engines at the back? Big round turbines are all well and good, but grills, or even more recessed cavities, with trans plates or bricks work well enough as engines.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait...you have ANOTHER Blacktron base?

:blush:

If I only had one, I could never part with it! However this MOC was just made using random parts from a CL lot I picked up.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I was messing around in the LDD program for the first time playing with MOC ideas and such and was wondering how did you guys render your models and change the background to a basic color?

I was also working on this basic design idea for a working lamp made of Lego for a friends soon to be newborn baby.

The base is 16x16 bricks wide, which will give it a sturdy base to stand on and it is 21 bricks high which puts the lamp about a foot tall, kind of a perfect height for a desk lamp I think. I figured I would glue it together to keep it from falling apart and use my Dremmel to run the cords and to mount the light bulb assembly if I end up finding/ordering all the bricks.

I was wondering if anybody had any skills with Photoshop, could you take a shot at adding a lamp shade and a electrical cord to the design to see how it might look ( that is if the above picture is what you need to work with).

Rythe fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 31, 2012

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
Purchased and finished 9394 Jet Plane tonight. I'm absolutely hooked now and need more sets!

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Rythe posted:

I was messing around in the LDD program for the first time playing with MOC ideas and such and was wondering how did you guys render your models and change the background to a basic color?

I was also working on this basic design idea for a working lamp made of Lego for a friends soon to be newborn baby.

The base is 16x16 bricks wide, which will give it a sturdy base to stand on and it is 21 bricks high which puts the lamp about a foot tall, kind of a perfect height for a desk lamp I think. I figured I would glue it together to keep it from falling apart and use my Dremmel to run the cords and to mount the light bulb assembly if I end up finding/ordering all the bricks.

I was wondering if anybody had any skills with Photoshop, could you take a shot at adding a lamp shade and a electrical cord to the design to see how it might look ( that is if the above picture is what you need to work with).

LDD2POVRay It takes a while to render though

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Fayez Butts posted:

though yeah the back end is sort of halfassed and doesnt have 'engines'

Obviously it's using ion pulse projection to propel it through space. Duh!

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Mazel Tov posted:

Purchased and finished 9394 Jet Plane tonight. I'm absolutely hooked now and need more sets!

Technic wise, the unimog is probably the best 'big' set you can still get now. The crawler is the same price and sure it is remote control but its features are mostly eh, you are paying for the power functions. The remote control excavator is great as well but same price point and I think it is discontinued but unlike the crawler it is really crazy how complicated its insides are.

I love the technic line and it is what got me into lego other then the star wars UCS sets which I bought because I was a star wars fan more then a lego fan. Then I got the 8070 supercar and have bought almost every technic set I could find in stores since. I tend to skip over the smaller stuff because it just isn't as neat on the inside as most of the larger sets.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

AzMiLion posted:

LDD2POVRay It takes a while to render though

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the program and got it set up and started to try and render a design but I got a warning that said POV Ray-3.7 not found. Does that mean I need to find a newer version of the rendering program? Seems like a fairly easy program to use but I am screwing it up some how, any help would be appreciated.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Rythe posted:

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the program and got it set up and started to try and render a design but I got a warning that said POV Ray-3.7 not found. Does that mean I need to find a newer version of the rendering program? Seems like a fairly easy program to use but I am screwing it up some how, any help would be appreciated.

That's just a converter, you also need povray installed.

e: Here's a direct link to 3.7

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The wife got me a thing for christmas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3wUFaPARU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

That's just a converter, you also need povray installed.

e: Here's a direct link to 3.7

Well that makes sense now, thanks for the link. Time to get addicted to making some MOCs.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Rythe posted:

What kind of lamp shade did you have in mind? Would the electrical cord be where the switch is, or would that be somewhere else? What kind of light bulb assembly were you thinking of? If you can be more specific I'd be happy to photoshop it for you.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Koramei posted:

What kind of lamp shade did you have in mind? Would the electrical cord be where the switch is, or would that be somewhere else? What kind of light bulb assembly were you thinking of? If you can be more specific I'd be happy to photoshop it for you.

I was thinking just a basic white lamp shade that mounts on the light bulb itself, I was going to have the cord come out of a cutout in the bottom of the lamp base and have a clicker on the cord to turn the light on. I was going to go with a run of the mill screw in light bulb socket that would come with most normal standard desk style lamps. Let me load a better rendered picture for you to work with too, I need to add a post to the lamp really fast.

Edit: Here is a more finished design, I still do not have an idea on how I am going to mount the light bulb socket, but I figured I would buy the socket and build around it when I get the lamp done.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 31, 2012

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I got a neat Lego knock-off Stargate spaceship set for Christmas that I just finished assembling.

I had two pieces left over and I have no idea where they should've gone. :kiddo:

A question:

Are there any spray adhesives that will help a completed set stick together? It's pretty sturdy and no pieces have fallen off yet, but I'm wondering if there's something I can spray on. I'm not expecting it to stay together if it's dropped off a 3rd story window, but I was envisioning some kind of clear coat that would provide some extra protection. It's going to be put on display, not manhandled by toddlers.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Raere posted:

I got a neat Lego knock-off Stargate spaceship set for Christmas that I just finished assembling.

I had two pieces left over and I have no idea where they should've gone. :kiddo:

A question:

Are there any spray adhesives that will help a completed set stick together? It's pretty sturdy and no pieces have fallen off yet, but I'm wondering if there's something I can spray on. I'm not expecting it to stay together if it's dropped off a 3rd story window, but I was envisioning some kind of clear coat that would provide some extra protection. It's going to be put on display, not manhandled by toddlers.

You deserve applause for managing to get a Best-Lock set to go together in the first place, let alone the fact that it's apparently still standing. Kudos, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

YMMV but my local Target has all Heroica on clearance. Not the other board games though.