Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Lyon posted:

Also let's get the ki-center permanently fixed already.

This should've happened at least fifty chapters ago. Yeah it's great to see how cleverly he can manipulate his minuscule amount of ki or whatever to barely escape fights he must really be a prodigy we get it already. I hope this explosion deal knocks him out and kills a bunch of the clan including the gramps and then we timeskip to 6 months later to see SUC is doing all sorts of crazy bad poo poo. Cue two generic skulls talking about a rumor that someone has been taking out their guys and the one doing it is some untouchable beast. Next panel is Shiwoon utterly trashing them like Gramps did.

Because without a timeskip I don't foresee us getting to a full time badass Shiwoon until 400 chapters in at this pace, if ever. We get little tastes of it but that's it. Maybe the author doesn't want that at all, but I find that hard to believe.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
At this point, New Waves is all about filling up pages and killing time and I'm really starting to run out of patience with the current pacing. The original arc was a nice substitute for not getting another arc of Veritas, but this is for the birds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It was always horribly paced. There was just nearly the entire first arc translated before people really got into it. Not that it excuses anything of course

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Scott Bakula posted:

It was always horribly paced. There was just nearly the entire first arc translated before people really got into it. Not that it excuses anything of course

It certainly didn't FEEL like it was this slow. I guess it really is all relative.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The first series had pretty bad pacing, too. Except, it did eventually deliver on the promises it made. As it is, NW seems to be sloooooowwwwwlllllyyyy building up to Shiwoon fighting his master without actually showing why he should do so.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Part of the problem may be that we're 20 chapters ahead of where The Breaker ended now, and we really don't seem to have any better an idea of what the hell is going on than we did at the start. We don't really know who's running what. Who all the players are. Why everyone is so desperate to get rid of Shioon.

Or, even, how Nine Arts Dragon factors into all this.

Instead, we have an ever growing cast of weirdos who Shioon can't really engage directly who everyone has to kinda run away from lest they get pulped.

It's a big, shadowy menace that is getting a little bit oversold for being a big, shadowy menace.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

In other not Breaker news, God of Highschool has gotten a recent development that really leaves a sour taste.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

pandaK posted:

In other not Breaker news, God of Highschool has gotten a recent development that really leaves a sour taste.

:confused: It seems fine to me.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AtomikKrab posted:

:confused: It seems fine to me.

God of Highschool has been steadily going away from stylishly drawn martial art battles to more "anime" superpower fights. The newest character doesn't even make discernible physical contact when fighting.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

pandaK posted:

Yeah, I really really like GoHS. What's leaving a sour taste? Lu Buette v. Nine Tails was handled pretty well, IMO. And Jin Mori's rebuttal to the weaknesses of Renewal Taekwon was really awesome.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Yeah, I really really like GoHS. What's leaving a sour taste? Lu Buette v. Nine Tails was handled pretty well, IMO. And Jin Mori's rebuttal to the weaknesses of Renewal Taekwon was really awesome.

Jin Mori's last battle was actually awesome, but then it followed up with "I'm so fast / magical that I can hit this girl without even touching her."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

"Steadily going away from?" Do you not remember the giant, island-obliterating handprint in chapter one? :confused:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shugojin posted:

"Steadily going away from?" Do you not remember the giant, island-obliterating handprint in chapter one? :confused:

Yeah and then it was a great big block of people beating the poo poo out of each other with their fists and feet (+ sword).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm just saying you really should have expected it to go here at some point, since it started with that handprint.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They have established that beating the poo poo out of people with physical attacks is a viable alternative to all the magic nonsense. Likewise, all the magic nonsense didn't exactly come out of nowhere. It seems like you were hoping for a different manwha in spite of all available evidence.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I loved that fight. It successfully tricked me into thinking she was going to lose for a chapter or two, which is all I really ask of a kung fu series.

GoHS is probably my second favorite currently-running one after SMAHEPHS.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

pandaK posted:

Yeah and then it was a great big block of people beating the poo poo out of each other with their fists and feet (+ sword).

Does not change that they cold open with a giant island destroying handprint. Also she still beat him and his magical fox poo poo with her sword.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Has anyone ever read Space China Dress? I just browsed by it recently, and it's been very entertaining. It's about a girl in a Chinese dress with tuna cans for hair-buns, who enters a Space Shaolin martial arts tournament. Along the way, she beats a lot of badguys up and generally causes a lot of mayhem. It's got sort of a Shaolin Soccer / Kung-Fu Hustle-esque comic wackiness and upbeat feel to it.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

DrSunshine posted:

Has anyone ever read Space China Dress? I just browsed by it recently, and it's been very entertaining. It's about a girl in a Chinese dress with tuna cans for hair-buns, who enters a Space Shaolin martial arts tournament. Along the way, she beats a lot of badguys up and generally causes a lot of mayhem. It's got sort of a Shaolin Soccer / Kung-Fu Hustle-esque comic wackiness and upbeat feel to it.
I've been keeping up with it and it's been pretty great so far!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Breaker 100

Is that the first good guy fatality in the series that doesn't involve a flashback? Assuming he stays dead I mean.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Algid posted:

Is that the first good guy fatality in the series that doesn't involve a flashback? Assuming he stays dead I mean.

It isn't the first, but you have to go back to the previous series to find it.

And in the previous series it was the beginning of a horror.

:allears: Somebody on that team has a really short memory. :allears:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I just hope the Sunwoo clan decides to stop loving around. The SUC need to end so we can get back to 9 Arts and the Black Forest Defense group.

The leader of BFD was the one who had the main female protagonist shot in the original series (right?), the guy fixing Shiwoon is going to revive her as well, and I really just want to get back to that story.

I really just want 9 Arts to come back to Korea, help finish this SUC plot (or show up after it finishes), find out that the chick is back alive and that it was the BFD guy who had her shot, reconnect with Shiwoon, and then just have the climax of 9 Arts and Shiwoon killing everyone.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 4, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Reading that I was finally like "Okay two chapters more better be the poo poo Im looking for, Shiwoon better destroy...or I'm done."
But I know that I'll keep reading just in case he does later :doh:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I kinda gotta agree at this stage.

We need a beatdown that would have JAM Project kick in.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I read through Girls of the Wild's this week, and I'm enjoying it. I like that unlike most "ordinary guy being trained by superhumans" premises, his power level is increasing at a reasonable rate. The girls/Wild's Guards are all more charming than obnoxious, too. Unfortunately, now that I've caught up, the shounen battle pace is really going to drag.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Quixzlizx posted:

I read through Girls of the Wild's this week, and I'm enjoying it. I like that unlike most "ordinary guy being trained by superhumans" premises, his power level is increasing at a reasonable rate. The girls/Wild's Guards are all more charming than obnoxious, too. Unfortunately, now that I've caught up, the shounen battle pace is really going to drag.

Yeah, it's probably my favorite "battle" manwha running. As over the top absurd as the premise is, I can relate to most of the people in it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The comparisons between the various factions in Cavalier of the Abyss are starting to get really interesting.

Also:

I did not think it was possible for Ouroboros to get MORE creepy. And Xix is starting to show signs of previously established Undead habits now, at last.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 10, 2013

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Noblesse 266. Last chapter linked in here was 260 so here's 261 in case you're like me and don't read a lot of things unless someone posts a link.

~*~spoilers for 266~*~

Really excited about where this is going. The union has two old rear end presumably strong rear end former clan leaders and...a werewolf. Not really sure if they were ever brought up before or if this is just coming straight out of nowhere. Balance of power kinda tipped against the good guys atm since the only person they have that can even compete against the clan leaders is frankenstein and he's still making his way there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Werewolves aren't new, M-21 is modified with a werewolf heart.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm particularly amused by the Union Elder that looks kind of like a Frankenstein's Monster to me. Frankenstein vs. Monster is something that I think I'll find enjoyable.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
It's been a while, but Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School 17 is here.

TWO BREADS

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

This series can't be translated fast enough.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Breaker 101. Finally. Maybe

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Someone's going to crush faces next week.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Well, I'm going to laugh if the only reason the bald guy was introduced was to have him get maimed when Shioon assumed his EVA Unit 1 Emulation Stance.

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

Someone's going to crush faces next week.

I can only hope so, but as we've seen several times he can have a few moments of badass and then go right back to doing nothing

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

chibi posted:

I can only hope so, but as we've seen several times he can have a few moments of badass and then go right back to doing nothing

Admitted, him punching the bald guy's heart out from front to back would probably have a chilling effect on this WHOLE operation.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I want to believe. At least they aren't saving the gramps, that would've been the ultimate in bullshit no matter how much I like the character.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Mo_Steel posted:

I want to believe. At least they aren't saving the gramps, that would've been the ultimate in bullshit no matter how much I like the character.

This.
Although it looks like my 2 more chapter ultimatum...could be pretty close :catstare:
Man this chapter is both a tease and what I've been waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
I like that even though everyone's been saying this whole time that if main character uses his kung-fu magic again his brain will explode, they had that aside with researcher talking to old guy about "nah, he'll be fine". When the story excuses its own premise, that's how you know poo poo's about to get real.