Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I mean what do you want? It's a phone. It does things phones do in the year of our lord 2012, except apparently that isn't a touch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TurnipFritter posted:

I mean what do you want? It's a phone. It does things phones do in the year of our lord 2012, except apparently that isn't a touch screen.

Actual specs? To say "oh yeah as much power as a smartphone" and then not have any actual specs is silly. I have my doubts the processor and GPU are anywhere near as good as you'd get in a Nexus 4 or SGS 3 or anything.

so uh anyway megaten huh

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Actual specs? To say "oh yeah as much power as a smartphone" and then not have any actual specs is silly. I have my doubts the processor and GPU are anywhere near as good as you'd get in a Nexus 4 or SGS 3 or anything.

so uh anyway megaten huh

You're right, this phone that's like two years old at this point probably isn't as powerful as those new phones released last month are. (It's still strong enough to summon demons though)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TurnipFritter posted:

You're right, this phone that's like two years old at this point probably isn't as powerful as those new phones released last month are. (It's still strong enough to summon demons though)

Turnip, do you plan a change of avatar? I have gotten more than one bemused look when reading the thread. I mean, it's just so goddamn big. (I'm aware you can turn off titles if you want).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

I missed the date on the page. So, swap SGS3 and N4 with the N1 and Milestone, I guess?

Also Nakajima summoned demons with a PC that was probably equivalent to PC-8801 or something, so I guess demons don't require a lot of processor cycles :v:

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 30, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Turnip, do you plan a change of avatar? I have gotten more than one bemused look when reading the thread. I mean, it's just so goddamn big. (I'm aware you can turn off titles if you want).

It wouldn't matter if I did because a very special individual keeps buying them for me (thanks a bunch Ju~). Though to their credit, this is the first one that's actually been funny.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I missed the date on the page. So, swap SGS3 and N4 with the N1 and Milestone, I guess?

I honestly don't know when it was released, but since it was featured in DS2, and that came out in the middle of 2011 in Japan.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It came out in 2009 or 2010. How long was DS2's development time? A touch screen just doesn't allow your demon summoning to be as dramatic, anyway. Whip the phone out and flip open, versus whip the phone out and tap the screen? :colbert:

Looks like they do make some touch screen phones for Android, though.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

TurnipFritter posted:

It wouldn't matter if I did because a very special individual keeps buying them for me (thanks a bunch Ju~). Though to their credit, this is the first one that's actually been funny

I'm pretty sure a mod gave you that one.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The GIG posted:

I'm pretty sure a mod gave you that one.

Maybe that explains why this one is funny.

Schubalts posted:

It came out in 2009 or 2010. How long was DS2's development time? A touch screen just doesn't allow your demon summoning to be as dramatic, anyway. Whip the phone out and flip open, versus whip the phone out and tap the screen? :colbert:

Looks like they do make some touch screen phones for Android, though.

The only way to dramatically summon demons is with a sweet guitar riff.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

If they ever advance the Persona 2 characters into adulthood the way they did with Mitsuru and Akihiko in P4U, this better be the basic idea behind Eikichi.

EDIT: Either that or some kind of ridiculous visual kei drag queen or something.

Baku fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 31, 2012

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If they ever advance the Persona 2 characters into adulthood the way they did with Mitsuru and Akihiko in P4U, this better be the basic idea behind Eikichi.

Not enough crazy hair or machine guns :colbert:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Actually if they go back to the concept of something like the evoker or glasses in Persona 5, musical instruments would be pretty cool and a thing they could fit with each character's personality and style.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

musical instruments would be pretty cool and a thing they could fit with each character's personality and style.

I hope you're joking.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Actually if they go back to the concept of something like the evoker or glasses in Persona 5, musical instruments would be pretty cool and a thing they could fit with each character's personality and style.

Only if there's a dude that wheels around a full sized organ everywhere he goes. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

So if we rolled with this concept, then the new Persona would basically be a JRPG version of K-On and the fifth game would have an even more anime story than the past two games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

EDIT: Either that or some kind of ridiculous visual kei drag queen or something.

If Trish's show on the P3 dorm TV is to be believed, Eikichi pretty much turned out exactly how you thought he would: visual kei rock star who loves to make sushi. He's probably cool never remembering that he had a Persona.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Soul Hackers already has a monopoly on stupidly impractical things used to summon demons.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So if we rolled with this concept, then the new Persona would basically be a JRPG version of K-On and the fifth game would have an even more anime story than the past two games.

Well, it's Atlus, so they'd probably just shrug off their final shred of dignity and just license K-On and make Persona-On! The Dating Sim.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
So to anyone who's played Soul Hackers, are the dungeons ballbusters? Is it harder than, say, Strange Journey?

I kinda want a 3DS for it for whatever reason.. Oh well, I have four months to decide

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cromlech posted:

So to anyone who's played Soul Hackers, are the dungeons ballbusters? Is it harder than, say, Strange Journey?

I kinda want a 3DS for it for whatever reason.. Oh well, I have four months to decide

Soul Hackers is far and away easier than Strange Journey (as are pretty much all the games in the series - nothing else really matches the sheer level of "gently caress you" in SJ's level design), both in terms of dungeon design and battles. Let's look at some examples:

These are different floors from different dungeons pulled from different parts of the game. They're fairly simplistic compared to SJ and earlier SMT games.

And this is the requisite teleporter maze, and it does look kind of daunting at first, but when you start looking at it you realize most of those sections are actually linear, and everything's two-way so none of this "How about you go back to the start motherfucker" mess from Sector E.

If you're looking for a super challenging dungeon crawler... um... I guess your best bet will be Etrian Odyssey IV, but even that's gotta be easier than Strange Journey.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Well that's good! I was looking forward to Soul Hackers because of the setting and that maybe it would've been less of a bitch than SJ. Glad to hear I was on the mark.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I never thought SJ was that bad.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I was always shocked by the number of people who were daunted by Strange Journey, I went whole hog and mapped all of the teleporter maze, even.

Now, its absolute bullshit that you couldnt annotate the map, especially since they were working off of the Etrian Oddessy engine which lets you do it, but even without that tool it wasnt that bad.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
My one problem with SJ was the hidden door to get out of the teleporter maze. That was the one time I broke down and looked up a map online. Everything else I bulled through and was more or less okay with. ...okay, Grus got pretty annoying with all the tiny interconnected rooms and poison floors, but it still wasn't as big of a gently caress you as that door.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

If they go back to evokers there’s got to be at least one person that physically drags or punches their persona out of their head. And one protagonist that isn't a transfer student.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I'm bad at RPGs and SJ was my first introduction to the SMT style of play where you need to exploit weaknesses to even have a chance, etc. etc.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Cityinthesea posted:

I never thought SJ was that bad.

Don't get me wrong, SJ was one of the best RPGs I have ever played, but holy poo poo the dungeon design was just straight up hateful.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dogbutt posted:

Don't get me wrong, SJ was one of the best RPGs I have ever played, but holy poo poo the dungeon design was just straight up hateful.

My favorite part of Sector E were the one-way doors that put you on sleep floors and the random encounters can cast Eternal Rest. At least Sector E was pretty.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really did not like SJ, I mean I didn't hate it, but the best parts of the game took far too much crap to get to and I quit the game at the last dungeon because I was fed up with the dungeon design and stupidly powerful last boss that would take assloads of grinding good demons for me to beat and I was just done, forever. The music also had too much ominous chanting for my tastes, I mean the battle themes are really cool, but I'd like my basic dungeon music to not be too drat oppressive.

Gotta say though everything involving Captain Jack was pretty loving great, even his boss fight was kind of okay.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 31, 2012

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The music also had too much ominous chanting for my tastes, I mean the battle themes are really cool, but I'd like my basic dungeon music to not be too drat oppressive.

Yeah, I really like The Fear of God, but for the most part it was like Meguro was trying to imitate Xenosaga Ep 1's style.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

If you're looking for a super challenging dungeon crawler... um... I guess your best bet will be Etrian Odyssey IV, but even that's gotta be easier than Strange Journey.

I wouldn't say easier. Etrian Odyssey games are significantly more difficult, but also way less frustrating.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The most frustrating part of Strange Journey was the map design. The encounter design was generally pretty fair.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Cromlech posted:

I'm bad at RPGs and SJ was my first introduction to the SMT style of play where you need to exploit weaknesses to even have a chance, etc. etc.

And then you get to badass bosses with no weakness or changing weaknesses and it's crazy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I really like The Fear of God, but for the most part it was like Meguro was trying to imitate Xenosaga Ep 1's style.

It always sounded like a Jack Frost having a laughing fit to me. HAHOHEEHAHEHOHAHE

HEE

HEE

HO

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sauska posted:

And then you get to badass bosses with no weakness or changing weaknesses and it's crazy

Can I just say that bosses with changing vulnerabilities are literally the worst bosses? Noah is the perfect example of this, I basically spent nearly thirty minutes trying to kill it in Nocturne because of how stupid that bosses gimmick is and because my team was very physical based by that point.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Can I just say that bosses with changing vulnerabilities are literally the worst bosses? Noah is the perfect example of this, I basically spent nearly thirty minutes trying to kill it in Nocturne because of how stupid that bosses gimmick is and because my team was very physical based by that point.
Changing vulnerabilities don't bother me if and only if there's a way to tell besides "try and hope it doesn't get absorbed/reflected". Even Mem Aleph's wasn't that bad because you could figure out what to use by Gibo Eyes (BEST. SUBAPP. EVER.) and didn't just have to try blind. Guessing games aren't fun!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I hope you're happy Rinkles. Now I'm just a guy that loves Copper. :sigh:

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I really did not like SJ, I mean I didn't hate it, but the best parts of the game took far too much crap to get to and I quit the game at the last dungeon because I was fed up with the dungeon design and stupidly powerful last boss that would take assloads of grinding good demons for me to beat and I was just done, forever. The music also had too much ominous chanting for my tastes, I mean the battle themes are really cool, but I'd like my basic dungeon music to not be too drat oppressive.

I had to grind for several hours just to survive the last boss's attacks, and I honestly can't imagine how annoying it'd be to fight it legit instead of cheesing with low level reflect: everything demons.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Everything about Strange Journey is pretty rad. The problem with Strange Journey is that it is utterly devoid of mercy, and is often just a touch sadistic. It holds nothing back, pulls no punches, and sometimes the sheer wear on your patience that this game can create will just cause you to quit in frustration.

The game is about an expedition into an unknown place, and you--the player--must tackle the game like an expedition, with care, preparation and diligence. It's not just a game you can pick up and breeze through--you'll spend hours upon hours toiling away at leveling up your demons, fusing new ones, exploring old areas for new treasures or, especially later on, just trying to endure the nightmarish labyrinth of toxic floors, hidden pits and dead ends to find an invisible door that leads you into a spiraling maze cloaked in complete darkness and you can't loving see anything at all and always there are monsters and always they are hounding you over and over and over and over and over and it never ends you think it will but it doesn't ever end

And then, half-mad and delirious, you turn a corner and stumble through a doorway and find yourself in a terminal. You stagger out and find a health station nearby and then you're fine again. Everything's fine. You've made it, you can rest. You can recover. Everything's fine.

The journey can continue.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Noah at least went down like a chump to pierce+Freikugel like everything else and showed up plenty late for you to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SJ chat reminded me to go look up the other endings, I only ever got Chaos. This game had a really cool soundtrack for a DS game!

Also the Law ending is creepy