Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.
I've fallen for the Smartest Man in the World Vodkast. Can anyone recommend more like it?

I tried citizen radio but I find Kilstein abrasive and want him to sometimes just enjoy his loving day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
And out of the blue, MATES returns with a new ep.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

The Filmdrunk frotcast has made me laugh a lot on occasion. The hosts are decent but a lot of their guests are really hilarious. This is the most recent one and it got good pretty fast and kept getting funnier.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I feel like this is as good a place as any to ask: do any of yall have experience with San Francisco Sketchfest? I'm going this year and would love to hear any tips, tricks, or general info about the thing.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

indigi posted:

I feel like this is as good a place as any to ask: do any of yall have experience with San Francisco Sketchfest? I'm going this year and would love to hear any tips, tricks, or general info about the thing.

I have made it a mission to go every year to at least one event. (This is only my third year coming up, though, so that's not saying a lot!) But for what it's worth, here are my impressions:

- There will invariably be a few last-minute events that are really cool, so sign up for emails and be on the lookout. That's how I scored the Children's Hospital tickets before they sold out.

- Come to think of it, expect that the more popular shows might sell out and plan accordingly. I remember the year my wife and I went to the Paul F. Tompkins show, PFT himself was at the ticket counter desperately trying to find tickets for some of his friends (hope he succeeded :ohdear:).

- Parking will suck for pretty much all the evening events. That's just San Francisco for you, though. Oh, and also admission lines can be pretty long, so you might want to show up an hour or two early if your tickets are unassigned seating.

- I've been to the live Rifftrax the past two years and it was fantastic both times. Bruce McCollough was probably my favorite guest riffer---he had a way of saying the darkest things and making them funny---but Paul F. Tompkins is neverendingly brilliant every time he does one of these. I remember Janet Varney being extremely funny both years, too.

- The Paul F. Tompkins show in 2011 was a lot of fun and makes me mad we don't have our own Largo for him to perform regularly at. I would mention that Gillian Jacobs and Neil Patrick Harris are both great comedic actors, but you probably already know that. He's really, really fit, by the way. (NPH, not Tompkins, though let it be said the latter does cut a dapper figure.) (Also, I am a huge Paul F. Tompkins fan.)

- The Benson Interruption last year was saved by surprise guest co-host Zach Galifianakis. Benson was super baked thanks to doing skillets, but it was cool because Galifianakis kept things going. The line-up was Chris Hardwick (good, but had heard all the material before; got some fun improv bits in during other comedians' performance), Greg Proops (first time I'd seen him live, liked it), Tom Lennon (hilarious), and Michael Ian Black (sadly truncated set, but still great).

- An Evening With Children's Hospital: Lots of fun. Got to see the Mythbusters cast up-close as they were standing in the aisle next to me for a few minutes before being ushered to their (much closer and nicer) seats. Rob Huebel is a giant of a man and he poked my wife during the Q&A because he thought she fell asleep. Also, Ken Marino is much shorter than I imagined.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I don't understand how anyone could think her podcast appearances are not good. Her on YMIW, The Todd Glass Show, and CBB of course - all amazing. She's a little befuddled anytime she's on DLM but I can give her a pass.

What I'm sayin is gently caress the haters Chaz is on my top 5 list of podcast guests. If I had shades and a motorcycle I'd put them on and ride away on it respectively.

I love Chelsea, her stand-up, I talk to her on Twitter, but she sucked on DLM. Which IMO is a generally lovely podcast anyway. Now I'm a hater?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

escape artist posted:

I love Chelsea, her stand-up, I talk to her on Twitter, but she sucked on DLM. Which IMO is a generally lovely podcast anyway. Now I'm a hater?

Well you're clearly a DLM hater.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

LesterGroans posted:

Well you're clearly a DLM hater.

I love the games. Don't like Doug-- or rather, his taste in movies. "Fellini sucks, his movies are boring!" I only listen when they've got great guests. The episode with Silverman/Notaro/Schumer/Glaser was phenomenal, though.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

So The Bone Zone is amazing. Brendons ex girlfriend Sheila is my favorite bit of ever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ibntumart posted:

I have made it a mission to go every year to at least one event. (This is only my third year coming up, though, so that's not saying a lot!) But for what it's worth, here are my impressions:

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it. Can't wait til they announce the lineup.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Politicalrancor posted:

So The Bone Zone is amazing. Brendons ex girlfriend Sheila is my favorite bit of ever.

Can someone recommend a good episode of Bone Zone as a starter? I listened to a random one and wasn't feeling it, but I really want to like it since I love Brendon.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Hands down, the recent Rory Scovel episode.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

plastered quack posted:

Hands down, the recent Rory Scovel episode.

Red Red Wine COOOOOOOOLLLLLEEEERRRRSSS

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Politicalrancor posted:

Red Red Wine COOOOOOOOLLLLLEEEERRRRSSS

Its weird that you bring those up, they just started serving them at my church.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
New Dana Gould Hour is up!

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise it had its own thread.

tnimark fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 19, 2012

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The last scene in Improv 4 Humans loving killed me on the latest episode.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Any recommendations for Judge John Hodgman epsiodes? I'm listening to it for the firs time now and I really like the tone of the humour, but I don't want to bother with 50+ episodes, I'd rather hear the best ones first.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Ep 21, where a someone accuses his friend of mispronouncing the name of his own hometown, is a favorite. The recent Mr. Mxylptk episode was also very good.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Die Flederhouse is pretty amazing, and there was an update from the disputants in a recent episode (I think Ipso Lacto, which is a pretty fun episode about an insane person, even by the standards of people who call up a deranged millionaire for him to settle their pretty disagreements).

Away With the manger from a few weeks ago is notable for Hodgman getting pretty real about some serious stuff.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

wafflesnsegways posted:

The recent Mr. Mxylptk episode was also very good.

Which one is this? Was on Hodgman Hiatus, but I like the sound of these recommendatons. (And thanks!)

http://judgingjudgejohnhodgman.tumblr.com/episodes

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

SKULE123 posted:

Which one is this? Was on Hodgman Hiatus, but I like the sound of these recommendatons. (And thanks!)

http://judgingjudgejohnhodgman.tumblr.com/episodes

#72. It's about a guy who had a long standing bet that he would give 5 dollars to anyone who could trick him into saying his own name backwards.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The newest episode of the Dead Authors podcast is fantastic. Matt Gourley and Jeremy Carter are on some next level poo poo.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

The newest episode of the Dead Authors podcast is fantastic. Matt Gourley and Jeremy Carter are on some next level poo poo.

I just wish there was some sort of podcast with both of them on it improvising and being hilarious, often with PFT. Then maybe someone could make a thread for it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

"Without sarcasm, people would JUST be calling each other stupid all the time." - Paul F. Tompkins

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I would assume he's already listening I
Superego, unless he was some kind of god damned idiot or something. I want those three to hire a full-time editor so they can put out a podcast together every week.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I have 3 of the 34 posts in the Superego thread already. What am I supposed to do, give you a brimstone boyjob :mad:

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I feel like this is probably the right place for this. I don't really have much more to say than Holy poo poo though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhU4NSg01wo

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I feel like this is probably the right place for this. I don't really have much more to say than Holy poo poo though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhU4NSg01wo

Holy poo poo is right. I knew PFT had a lovely singing voice, but daaaaaaamn. And what a sweet suit.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I know he's in the entertainment field and that allows him a little more leeway, but I think my favorite aspect of Paul F. Tompkins is how he seems to live his life like an eccentric millionaire.

Of course he's going to bring in a horn section to sing the theme from Skyfall, loving why wouldn't he?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

I have 3 of the 34 posts in the Superego thread already. What am I supposed to do, give you a brimstone boyjob :mad:

I wasn't accusing you of not listening to it, I was just making people who may have listened to DAP but not Superego aware that there's tons more where that came from. Although there's got to be a pretty big overlap between the listenership of DAP and Superego.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

If I don't get a new Harmontown soon, I'm going to stick a sharpie up my butt.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

If I don't get a new Harmontown soon, I'm going to stick a sharpie up my butt.

I don't know what city you're in, but Harmontown is going on tour this month.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Binowru posted:

I don't know what city you're in, but Harmontown is going on tour this month.

Yeah they're not coming here, unless they add some dates to the end. Jeff Davis et al's stupid bottom rung of the comedy pyramid poo poo is though.

e: is it weird that if I could go, I'd be more excited to see Adam Goldberg than Harmon? I assume he's following them around Deadhead style.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

caligulamprey posted:

I know he's in the entertainment field and that allows him a little more leeway, but I think my favorite aspect of Paul F. Tompkins is how he seems to live his life like an eccentric millionaire.

Of course he's going to bring in a horn section to sing the theme from Skyfall, loving why wouldn't he?

Paul F. Tompkins and John Hodgman should tour this year as THE ECCENTRIC/DERANGED MILLIONAIRES.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011
Hi thread! Looking for recommendations after about a year long hiatus from podcasts (spent most of the last year in Central Asia). Before I left, I listened to and plan on resuming:

-Bill Burr
-Bob Kelly's "You Know What, Dude?"
-Greg Fitzsimmons
-Mohr Stories
-Joe Rogan
-Smartest Man in the World
-Walking the Room
-Comedy Bang Bang
-Who Charted?
-Superego

Ones I just don't like:
-Doug Likes Movies
-Nerdist
-Harmontown

Those are the main ones...basically. Any new ones pop up this year I that might meet my tastes? Thanks!

edit: Basically, anything where Patton Oswalt, Bill Burr, or Greg Proops have a chance of showing up.

A Fistful of Dicks fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 3, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

Ones I just don't like:
-Harmontown

edit: Basically, anything where ... Greg Proops have a chance of showing up.

:raise:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I only started listening to it a couple of days ago, but The Reality Show Show is really good. (You don't need to watch any reality TV to enjoy it)

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
My favourite podcasts that have started up within the last year(ish) are probably Matt Besser's Improv4Humans and The Dana Gould Hour.

Greg Proops has been on the Todd Glass Show, which can be a good podcast at times.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

Hi thread! Looking for recommendations after about a year long hiatus from podcasts (spent most of the last year in Central Asia). Before I left, I listened to and plan on resuming:

-Bill Burr
-Bob Kelly's "You Know What, Dude?"
-Greg Fitzsimmons
-Mohr Stories
-Joe Rogan
-Smartest Man in the World
-Walking the Room
-Comedy Bang Bang
-Who Charted?
-Superego

Ones I just don't like:
-Doug Likes Movies
-Nerdist
-Harmontown

Those are the main ones...basically. Any new ones pop up this year I that might meet my tastes? Thanks!

edit: Basically, anything where Patton Oswalt, Bill Burr, or Greg Proops have a chance of showing up.

I'd say try: The Dana Gould Hour, Nerd Poker (Brian Posehn and friends playing D&D. It's brand new and amazing), Throwing Shade (if you're into the preachy part of Smartest),and Dead Authors Podcast (I'm amazed Proops hasn't done this)

In Case of Emergency and Satellite Dish were good while they lasted to. If you even kind of like MBMBAM give them a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

You Made It Weird

• Locked thread