Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

These Loving Eyes posted:

Do I have to progress the story to get the jade statue inside the restaurant above the street level somewhere in southern Central? I couldn't open the glass doors nor find any other way in. To get there, you have to climb some construction site and there's a health shrine and a lock box almost right next to it.

Yes. There are three statues that can't be got until late in the game: That one, one on a boat, and one behind some gates.
(All three will have a mission that sends you to the appropriate place)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh I was a terrible Batman, I can't combo for poo poo in that game. I never said it was the best way to play it, simply stating that if you want to counter then yes, mashing that button means that you can counter all the incoming attacks 100% of the time simply by pounding away at it. It's not the best way, but it is a way that works. Which is something that DOESN'T work in Sleeping Dogs.
In that case we are cool. :unsmith: Yeah, I suppose if someone is used to getting through combat in that way, they'll be at a disadvantage in Sleeping Dogs, at least until they get the upgrade that reduces the vulnerability period on failed counters.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

MMAgCh posted:

In that case we are cool. :unsmith: Yeah, I suppose if someone is used to getting through combat in that way, they'll be at a disadvantage in Sleeping Dogs, at least until they get the upgrade that reduces the vulnerability period on failed counters.

And to be fair, at the start of Sleeping Dogs I didn't realise how the counter system was different. I got confused when I tried to counter too early, got the failed counter animation thing that locked me out of doing anything, and got punched in the face while I mashed the counter button. Once I realised how it worked I fully approved and endorsed this design choice, but at the start I can see how it would throw some people off. Christ it sure got me. I think a single "if Wei counters at the wrong time he will be left vulnerable to attack" pop up would have helped a lot.

Edit: Giant Bomb's GotY video day 5 features Vinny playing some more Sleeping Dogs (it was 3rd on his top ten list). Well worth a look, he knows how to have fun in the big city.

http://www.giantbomb.com/game-of-the-year-2012-day-five-recap/17-6906/

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 29, 2012

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I missing something with the combat? At this point, I'll just drive over enemies for the drug bust stuff since attacking 10 enemies with my fists ends with a hospital trip and everyone still alive. I keep trying to pull of combos, but at this point I almost feel like I need to do like in Assassin's Creed and only attack by countering.

Do I just need to find more health shrines and never let my buffs fall off, or what?

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Health shrines and buffs help. But when you're still getting used to the combat I found that the easiest way of dealing with the regular dudes was just grabbing them and repeatedly smacking them into walls.

Eventually once you get stuff like the leg-breaker and arm-breaker grabs you don't need to use the walls so much anymore.

The fat guys are the only painful part, but combos and jump kicks and counters usually deal with them fairly easily.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

Do I just need to find more health shrines and never let my buffs fall off, or what?

Leveling up in general will make you a more effective fighter. Health helps a lot, obviously, and the next biggest help would probably come from the jade statues. Your master will teach you some pretty devastating moves that will also boost your face meter fast.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually, I do think my problem is not enough health. I do pretty well in fights, but then I get hit twice and my controller goes nuts with that loving vibration and I just wind up frustrated and die. :v: Suppose I'll go shrine and statue hunting.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Make sure you do some dates first. They're mostly dumb or cheesy events, but all the dates except one display the collectables on your map. Conveniently the first two accessible dates are the ones that unlock shrines and statues.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
What killed me most at first was getting tunnel vision on the enemy I was punching, the guy you are hitting is either busy blocking or getting punched it's everybody else in the fight that's dangerous. Countering their attacks is necessary to survive.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
How on earth do I not horribly mangle the everloving trash out of every car I drive? On the PC sans a controller, it seems like I only have "stop" and "go" as my speeds. In Saints Row, this was fine, you could powerslide everywhere perfectly fine, but this game's driving is a little more "realistic", ignoring the hilarious ram button.

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012
Is there anything I can do with the weird car camera? It's super fixed to every movement the car does...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SorcerousHam posted:

Eventually once you get stuff like the leg-breaker and arm-breaker grabs you don't need to use the walls so much anymore.

Yeah, the leg-breaker move is one to get pretty early because it stuns one guy and the rest of them wince and back up, giving you some breathing room. Otherwise you're liable to get swarmed.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Another thing to remember is even if you're up against 50 guys at once, you can always counter. Even if you're mid-punch on one guy you can counter a guy attacking you from behind or whatever. Learning to counter is vital to survive some of the later fight clubs and so on, considering you're invincible during the animation too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just got the red wedding suit. How far into the story am I?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lack of a New Game + is depressing. Is there a DLC that throws cop xp at me so I don't have to pussyfoot around for half the game on my next play through?

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Lack of a New Game + is depressing. Is there a DLC that throws cop xp at me so I don't have to pussyfoot around for half the game on my next play through?

The SWAT Pack that lets you roll around in a swat van and help officers in various firefights (shoot outs, hostages, car chases). It's a good way to get cop xp and it's pretty fun to boot.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dodecalypse posted:

The SWAT Pack that lets you roll around in a swat van and help officers in various firefights (shoot outs, hostages, car chases). It's a good way to get cop xp and it's pretty fun to boot.

Thanks, I can deal with getting Triad and Face xp a lot slower, but this cop xp system is terrible.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I love Wei's car valet:

:c00l:: Hey, I need a car.
:downs:: A car? Tak ma! I'll be there right away.
:downs: *brings a motorcycle every goddamn time*

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Cop XP actually is pretty easy to max out via the drug bust missions, even if you don't give a poo poo about public safety during the story missions – as the actual experience is only awarded at the very end, you can even wear different outfits to make beating up the thugs easier and to get that bonus XP when you have the dealer arrested.

Getting to triad level 10 on the other hand, at least without any relevant DLC...ugh. 32 hours played and I still haven't managed to. Not that the final upgrade (improved melee weapons in my case) is really worth it, at least.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

These Loving Eyes posted:

I love Wei's car valet:

:c00l:: Hey, I need a car.
:downs:: A car? Tak ma! I'll be there right away.
:downs: *brings a motorcycle every goddamn time*

The next time you're at your parking garage, you can press Y (on the xbox controller, no idea what it is using keyboard) to set which vehicle you want your valet to bring. It's in the button prompts at the bottom of the screen :)

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Brownie posted:

The next time you're at your parking garage, you can press Y (on the xbox controller, no idea what it is using keyboard) to set which vehicle you want your valet to bring. It's in the button prompts at the bottom of the screen :)

Ah, I thought there must be something to change that. Thanks!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

As an aside, you should call him to deliver a car while you're already barreling down the road in one. Your valet will risk death to get it to you.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sonny Cheebah posted:

As an aside, you should call him to deliver a car while you're already barreling down the road in one. Your valet will risk death to get it to you.

Also, you can kidnap him if you get in the car and start driving before he has a chance to get out.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

This game is a loving blast, I'm really glad I got picked it up the other day. The game world is probably a close second to my favorite, right after Just Cause 2.

Ramming people on mopeds/bikes never gets old and Daptone Radio is the best station ever.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
After finishing the story I'm currently running around picking up collectibles, but I'm unable to find the last lockbox in Central. Is this a known bug, or am I just blind in the head? I've done the relevant mission to unlock them on my map, and I still can't find it.

Even though I try to avoid cosmetic DLC like the plague, the Drunken Master costume is pretty sweet. It's been a while since I watched the Drunken Master movies, but from what I can remember it's a pretty faithful recreation of the attacks and counters from the films.

If you're having trouble getting into the action, remember that the hand-to-hand combat is measured and rewards patience, while the gun play is all fast paced action jump crates and headshoot fools in bullet time. My initial approach was doing the opposite, button mashing during fights, and spending time behind cover during the shoot outs, and that made the game frustrating as hell. After wrapping my head around the mechanics I'm able to finish the fight clubs without breaking a sweat and pretty much blast through the stakeout fights with the armed triads.

EDIT: \/\/Found it. Thanks, dude!\/\/

Runaway Legs fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 31, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's up on Victoria Peak, in the little way back area with the radio tower. The marker is hidden by the text unless you zoom right in on it.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

If you're having trouble fighting, play the event called something like Death from A Thousand Cuts. Guys will basically swarm you until you die. It's great practice.

Mostly there are two things to keep in mind when fighting: Never counter unless an enemy is glowing red, and stay away from the big fat guys unless you're moving in to take them out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spaz Medicine posted:

stay away from the big fat guys unless you're moving in to take them out.

Without fail, if I'm trying to grab another guy (I can never never use lock on properly in combat), Wei will end up trying to grab one of the fat guys instead, even if it means spinning around more than 90 degrees.

Whenever I'm in Face meter rage mode, they're the first to get their legs broken.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A DLC question- which Sleeping Dogs DLC is worth buying? There's just... so much neat-sounding stuff ( Nightmare in North Point) and so much garbage (all of the clothing packs).

\/:hfive:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 31, 2012

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Some of the clothing packs aren't total garbage, as you can get some neat little perma-weapons and all that, but here's what I would get in order from good to bad:

Nightmare in North Point
Zodiac Tournament
SWAT Pack
Drunken Master Pack
Screen Legends Pack

Everything else is pretty superfluous, or gift DLC.

HelmetCheese posted:

Daptone Radio is the best station ever.
Completely agree.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 31, 2012

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, you can kidnap him if you get in the car and start driving before he has a chance to get out.

I prefer to reward his loyalty by punching him off the bike he brought me and then walking it backward over him.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Sonny Cheebah posted:

Some of the clothing packs aren't total garbage, as you can get some neat little perma-weapons and all that, but here's what I would get in order from good to bad:

Nightmare in North Point
Zodiac Tournament
SWAT Pack
Drunken Master Pack
Screen Legends Pack

Everything else is pretty superfluous, or gift DLC.

Seconding this list. Nightmare in North Point is a fun pseudo-epilogue to the main game, and has been appropriately described as a 'dessert' for after you finish up the game itself. It has jumping vampires and you can put them in the trunk of your car. I haven't played the Zodiac Tournament myself, but the general response seems to be that it's a fun diversion, especially if you liked the Fight Clubs but would like a bit more variety, though it doesn't reach quite the same level as Nightmare in North Point. The SWAT Pack adds the ability for you to do some work as Officer Wei Shen, Baddest Cop, which is a fun addition and makes Cop XP even less of a worry, since you can always just go do more SWAT missions. They're also a better Cop XP farm than the Police Protection Pack's mission thanks to the variation they have and that they're much quicker. Screen Legends' outfits aren't half bad and it gives you a sword in all your safehouses which is pretty nice.

The Triad Enforcer pack is pretty good too as it gives you two missions you can use to farm Triad XP if you don't want to replay missions for higher scores, one of which is just a never-ending melee. Also there is a special surprise hidden in the car's trunk. It is a golden cleaver and it NEVER BREAKS. The Martial Arts Pack's mission is apparently great too: You fight a ton of monks at the temple and bring great dishonor to their ancestors by whupping them hardcore.

I'd definitely recommend waiting to make sure Sleeping Dogs and it's DLCs don't go on sale for a higher discount again though, since half the DLCs end up at less than a dollar for 66% off.

Dross posted:

I prefer to reward his loyalty by punching him off the bike he brought me and then walking it backward over him.

After a certain point I tried to stop abusing the poor guy, since he was even bringing me my cars when Hong Kong had been overrun by the undead. Then he managed to get the car he was bringing stuck on a guardrail and I tossed him into the sea.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

RandallODim posted:

After a certain point I tried to stop abusing the poor guy, since he was even bringing me my cars when Hong Kong had been overrun by the undead. Then he managed to get the car he was bringing stuck on a guardrail and I tossed him into the sea.

gently caress him. He only brings me poo poo when it's convenient. Standing outside your safehouse? Cars all day. Stranded deep in a warehouse lot after a shootout, bleeding and almost scared to walk back to the road yourself in case there are 18k around? Claims he doesn't have time.

(Yeah, I know it's just a matter of whether the game can figure out how to get him to you without leaving main roads)

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

There sort of is a 'New Game +', you just have to take advantage of a bug or glitch or something (assuming they haven't patched it out since I last played a couple of months ago).

Replay the earliest mission until you get to the second or third fight - basically, any point by which the original game would have made an autosave - then reload the autosave. It'll lock up the game, I think because you can't retry retries, so to speak, so Alt-F4, then restart the game and Continue. It'll reload from the spot that would have been autosaved and ta-da, you're back at the beginning of the game with lots of awesome kung fu skillz and money and cars and outfits and poo poo.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

So I just finished the last case a little while ago, and I noticed that the outfit that you wear, you can't get again in your warddrobe. Is there anywhere to buy it? I'm still wearing it but I don't want to lose it, cause it is pretty pimpin'.

I've also been working through the Tang's Toys face missions and holy poo poo I think I actually really like the Bisai!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kavingi posted:

So I just finished the last case a little while ago, and I noticed that the outfit that you wear, you can't get again in your warddrobe. Is there anywhere to buy it? I'm still wearing it but I don't want to lose it, cause it is pretty pimpin'.

I've also been working through the Tang's Toys face missions and holy poo poo I think I actually really like the Bisai!

It should be in your wardrobe, along with all the other custom suits that you unlocked along the way.

And hell yeah the Bisai owns, Smart Cars are terrific fun to hoon around in. That and the Blast (and occasionally the first race car they give you) were the only cars I ever drove. The free community gift pack gives you a United Front Bisai which is pretty swish, I rode that over to the Zodiac dock when I jumped back in for the DLC.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Parkingtigers posted:

It should be in your wardrobe, along with all the other custom suits that you unlocked along the way.

And hell yeah the Bisai owns, Smart Cars are terrific fun to hoon around in. That and the Blast (and occasionally the first race car they give you) were the only cars I ever drove. The free community gift pack gives you a United Front Bisai which is pretty swish, I rode that over to the Zodiac dock when I jumped back in for the DLC.

I'm planning on getting the Blast next, when I went to buy my first Class A car I ended up getting the Wangan which I really just don't like. I'm about a hundred grand short of the Blast, shouldn't take too long.

I kind of went back and forth about this game but now I really love it. Especially having paid more attention to the general atmosphere of the game and how ridiculous some of the things off the beaten path can be. I really like the recurring characters that sell various things for your apartments, they're just hilarious.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Sleeping Dogs has definitely been a sleeper hit of 2012 for me. First I thought it would be just a fun distraction before GTA V comes out, but it turned out to be something more. Even though it suffers from the same problems every game in this genre does (e.g. half the open world activities are quite monotonous and dull) and maybe it is not as polished as it could be, it has a really compelling setting, story and memorable characters. I really love how the game balances between crime drama and over the top Hong Kong action in a way that doesn't create a disconnection between the gameplay and the plot. One of the strongest aspects of the story is the fact that the player actually witnesses Wei's rise in the Sun On Yee and how he takes a crucial part in the internal struggle of the Triads. In GTA IV, I hated how Niko just stumbled from a mobster to another and halfway through the game it felt like the whole revenge motif was pushed to the background. In Sleeping Dogs, the story stays coherent and progresses swiftly from mission to another. Little touches like haunting voices in Wei's dreams and the way he swears and shakes his head after getting up add a lot to the experience. Sure it is quite a clichéd crime narrative, but Wei's voice actor really did a spot on job conveying the protagonist's conflicting emotions and interests (e.g. I felt really lovely when Jackie Ma tried to speak to Wei about quitting Sun On Yee triad just before he was going to get picked up by the police).

I'm not sure how many missions there are left (I messed around with Two Chin's feng shui in the last mission), but I hope the grand finale offers a satisfying resolution. :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would like to congratulate Sleeping Dogs for making me break my vow of buying myself cosmetic DLC. How could I possibly pass up the chance to play as Wei "Rico" "Jensen" "guy from Hitman" Shen? Only an hour in so I haven't actually gotten to it, but the game is great. It also brought my computer to its knees on its highest settings, but I can get 60 frames a second on a midpoint between high and extreme so I think it was the AA doing it. This is a very pretty game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I would like to congratulate Sleeping Dogs for making me break my vow of buying myself cosmetic DLC. How could I possibly pass up the chance to play as Wei "Rico" "Jensen" "guy from Hitman" Shen? Only an hour in so I haven't actually gotten to it, but the game is great. It also brought my computer to its knees on its highest settings, but I can get 60 frames a second on a midpoint between high and extreme so I think it was the AA doing it. This is a very pretty game.
They even come with signature weapons, a silenced weapon for Agent 47, a futuristic combat rifle for Jensen, and a pistol that fires explosive rounds for Rico!

• Locked thread