Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midwat
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

I don't even know how to reply to this:

Jerry Rice only caught passes that meant something, gulldarnit. His yards had a grit index of 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

midwat posted:

Jerry Rice only caught passes that meant something, gulldarnit. His yards had a grit index of 100%.

This, but unironically.

But I may not be an impartial source on this subject.

OK, sort of ironically

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Brannock posted:

I don't even know how to reply to this:

The funny part is, when Rice set the record, 1995, radios were put in QB's helmets for the first time, resulting in a large jump in leaguewide offensive scoring, yards, yards per play and plays run.

During the '95 season, the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th highest receiving yardage in a season occurred.

(2nd place by the way was set by Isaac Bruce, another loser on a team that lost a lot.)

Kalli fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 25, 2012

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
There totally are "meaningless" yards. That's why there PFF, FO, etc are trying to qualitatively judge player contributions.

But if you're counting straight up with regard only for volume, then more = better than.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Kalli posted:

The funny part is, when Rice set the record, 1995, helmets were put in QB's helmets for the first time

Uh huh!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kalli posted:

The funny part is, when Rice set the record, 1995, radios were put in QB's helmets for the first time, resulting in a large jump in leaguewide offensive scoring, yards, yards per play and plays run.

During the '95 season, the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th highest receiving yardage in a season occurred.

(2nd place by the way was set by Isaac Bruce, another loser on a team that lost a lot.)

It's amazing how many people forget that Isaac Bruce was around long before Kurt Warner made him famous. Not to mention that he and Rice both broke the record in '95. Rice just did a little bit of a better job breaking it.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

Fenrir posted:

It's amazing how many people forget that Isaac Bruce was around long before Kurt Warner made him famous. Not to mention that he and Rice both broke the record in '95. Rice just did a little bit of a better job breaking it.

Bruce was always a good guy and a drat fine receiver. He was pretty much the one reason I'd feel vaguely unhappy with the biannual trouncings the Rams tended to receive in the nineties.

There was a story about Bruce lining up against Deion during Bruce's rookie year. Basically Deion was bored from QBs not challenging his side, so he spent a bit of the game coaching Bruce up and telling him how to camouflage his cuts better.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Grozz Nuy posted:

This, but unironically.

But I may not be an impartial source on this subject.

OK, sort of ironically

Rice caught a ton of his yards in blowout wins, roughly 700 of them according to some thing I read. Calvin owns

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

Blackula69 posted:

Rice caught a ton of his yards in blowout wins, roughly 700 of them according to some thing I read. Calvin owns

That's because he was the reason for the blowout win duh

ETA: Seriously records are made to be broken. Good on Calvin, though I'd expect he'd rather have a winning record.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If your team is losing by a lot you shouldn't be rewarded for catching footballs thrown to you because in winning scenarios those footballs might not have been thrown to you :colbert:

So when do I start commentating football games?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

If your team is losing by a lot you shouldn't be rewarded for catching footballs thrown to you because in winning scenarios those footballs might not have been thrown to you :colbert:

So when do I start commentating football games?

I don't see a worthless anecdote about how your are a literal child and an entitled douchebag in real life.

You can intern for Bob Costas.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Peter King posted:

2. I think this is what I didn't like about Week 17:

h. Too many officials look too heavy to me.

[img-growing_ironicat]

midwat
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

[img-growing_ironicat]

I bet he wants the replacements back, on the grounds that they "look scrappier."

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Texans fans, allow me to introduce you to one Dan Shaughnessy, the very worst of Boston sports writing.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/01/06/texans-win-puts-patriots-easy-street-again/Nn59dnCMHkyP2TKiaAetIL/story.html

quote:

The 2012-13 New England Patriots just became the first team in NFL history to get back-to-back byes before advancing to the conference championship game.

Could this get any easier?

I mean, seriously? The planets are aligned and the tomato cans are in place. The fraudulent Houston Texans are the only team standing between the New England Patriots and a trip to the AFC Championship game. All the Patriots have to do is beat the terrible Texans. One week from today. At Gillette Stadium.

Pass Go and collect $200. The Patriots are in the AFC title game.
If they lose look for the follow-up column, "PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN 6 WEEKS".

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Someone needs to tell that guy the Terrifying Tale of the 1996 Denver Broncos.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He doesn't even need to go back that far. Does that guy really not remember the 2010 Divisional loss to a Jets team they curb stomped a month earlier?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That would be this guy by the way:

So really, that should answer any questions.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ozu posted:

Texans fans, allow me to introduce you to one Dan Shaughnessy, the very worst of Boston sports writing.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/01/06/texans-win-puts-patriots-easy-street-again/Nn59dnCMHkyP2TKiaAetIL/story.html
If they lose look for the follow-up column, "PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN 6 WEEKS".

"The 2012-13 Texans? Pure frauds. The worst 11-1 team in the history of the NFL. These Texans have absolutely zero chance of beating New England here next week. And everybody knows that this is true."

lol

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I know what you are thinking. Just two years ago, the Patriots beat the New York Jets, 45-3, in December, then lost a first-round game to the same Jets just a few weeks later.

This is not the same. Those Jets were not afraid of the Patriots. Those Jets had players and a coach who did not wet their pants at the sight of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. Those Jets had attitude.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

NC-17 posted:

He doesn't even need to go back that far. Does that guy really not remember the 2010 Divisional loss to a Jets team they curb stomped a month earlier?
Here was Shaugnessy's response to that game. It's beautiful.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/01/17/title_march_stops_short/?p1=News_links

quote:

There will be no Super Bowl for Messrs. Belichick and Brady this year. The braggarts and buffoons from the Meadowlands took it all away with four quarters of smashmouth football, sending the frontrunner Patriots home for the summer. If it makes anyone feel better, Red Sox pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to Fort Myers, Fla., Feb. 13.

“It’s a one-game season,’’ said Belichick. “If you don’t play well, you’re done. We all know that.’’

This was not your garden variety postseason elimination. Losing to the Jets is worse than losing to the Lakers. It might even be worse than losing to the Yankees and that is because of the lack of class demonstrated by the Jets in the days and months leading up to yesterday’s epic showdown. The Jets are all about smack talk. They hurled insults at New England for a week. Then they came to Foxborough and backed it up. This game was not as close as the score would lead you to believe. It was 28-14 before the Patriots scored a hollow touchdown in an empty stadium with 24 seconds left.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ozu posted:

Here was Shaugnessy's response to that game. It's beautiful.

quote:

There will be no Super Bowl for Messrs. Belichick and Brady this year. The braggarts and buffoons from the Meadowlands took it all away with four quarters of smashmouth football, sending the frontrunner Patriots home for the summer. If it makes anyone feel better, Red Sox pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to Fort Myers, Fla., Feb. 13.

:ughh:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yup, that's Dan all over. Remember that he's also the guy that really pushed the godawful Red Sox curse narrative throughout the 90's up through and after they won a loving world series.

He's the worst of the non-race baiting guys.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

NC-17 posted:

This gives me a bit more hope.

While Shaugnessy is a loon, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would place serious money on the Texans to win this weekend.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Kalli posted:

Yup, that's Dan all over. Remember that he's also the guy that really pushed the godawful Red Sox curse narrative throughout the 90's up through and after they won a loving world series.

He's the worst of the non-race baiting guys.

Who was it that compared the 2011 Red Sox to the 1927 Yankees?

Edit: Aw, not Dan O. Some dude named Eric Ortiz from NESN. Here

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Rooster Brooster posted:

Someone needs to tell that guy the Terrifying Tale of the 1996 Denver Broncos.
A week before the '96 AFC Divisional, Woody Paige wrote a column for The Denver Post about the Jaguars that was in the same vein as Shaughnessy's about the Texans above. I C&P'd it from here so there may be some typos. Shaughnessy's column is tame compared to this:

quote:

Jacksonville Jagwads? What league are they in?

When did the NFL start letting USFL teams participate in the playoffs? Did I miss something? Or, are the Jags from that goofy World League or the Continental Basketball Association? After the Broncos dispense with these Jagwads today, do they face the Barcelona Bobcats or the Birmingham Power & Light?

In the postseason the Denver Broncos are supposed to be playing the Cleveland Browns or the Oakland Raiders or the Buffalo Bills. The opposition should have an Al Davis or a Terry Bradshaw or a Bruce Smith to get riled about. There should be a 30-year rivalry and a playoff history and a spitting disgust for the other team. There should be bad blood and revenge and a suck-it-up sensation.

How do you get worked up to play somebody called Jacksonville with a bunch of nobodies?

Who wants to hurl insults and snowballs at Jagwads?

Mark Brunell is the quarterback. I give up.

Jacksonville? Is that a semi-pro team or a theme park? Isn't Jacksonville the only Florida city without a beach?

This is the playoff game Denver has been waiting for?

The Broncos go 13-3, yet are forced by the league to play kissyface with Jagwads. Bring on Pittsburgh - a mean team with meat on the bone.

When the Broncos reach the Super Bowl, skeptics will just say: "Oh, but they beat Jacksonville."

Wasn't Jackson (Miss.) State available?

Oh, I remember Jacksonville now. Expansion team. Been around for a couple of years. I get the Jacksonville Jags confused with the Carolina Panthers, or is it the Carolina Jags and the Florida Panthers? Isn't that the hockey team the Avalanche beat?

I looked it up, and the Jagwads did win six of their last seven regular-season games, against the likes of Baltimore (twice), Cincinnati, Houston, Seattle and Atlanta. That sounds like a Nebraska schedule. And the Jags squeaked into the playoffs on a quirky missed field goal by Atlanta. The Broncos didn't face such cupcake foes, except for Baltimore and Cincinnati and Seattle, and they marched into the playoffs cremating, for example, Chicago and Minnesota.

Who do these upstart Jagwads think they are, anyway, coming to Mile High Stadium, where the Broncos haven't lost this season and only once ever in the playoffs? They must think they belong here, but they will learn.

"I told you back before the season began that Jacksonville was going to be a playoff contender," said Adam Schefter, the self-proclaimed, know-it-all pro football expert employed by The Post.

I don't recall that specific statement. I do know that when Jacksonville beat the Broncos in the final exhibition, I said something like: "The Jags are awful. They should have Anita Bryant at middle linebacker."

In Jacksonville, the Broncos put up 17 points early and retired. John Elway played two series Aug. 23, and the rest of the starters lasted about a quarter. But Jagwads coach Tom Coughlin acted as if his team had just won the Super Bowl. "It was a helluva victory. We played great in the second half to come back and win it."

As if the Broncos were serious.

The conference must be really down this year for Jacksonville to make the playoffs.

Jacksonville reportedly has the No. 1-ranked passing game in the NFL. Wait until the Jagwads try that stuff at Mile High Stadium. And the Jags bring back center Dave Widell, who was a nice player and swell talk-show host in Denver in his day.

This is easy. It will not be a Jag War.

The tanned, rested and ready Broncos will invalidate the Jagwads. Instead of "The Drive" and "The Fumble,"

Denver-Jacksonville will be known as "The Blowout." The Broncos are favored by 14. Not enough.

This is where you get off, Jagwads. No way, no (Natrone) Means.

Broncos 31, Jags 10.

Can we get a legitimate NFL team in here next Sunday.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

A week before the '96 AFC Divisional, Woody Paige wrote a column for The Denver Post about the Jaguars that was in the same vein as Shaughnessy's about the Texans above. I C&P'd it from here so there may be some typos. Shaughnessy's column is tame compared to this:

Not only is that about the worst thing I've ever read, it's made doubly hilarious by the flip-flop of teams' strength since then. "Denver should be facing real competition like Buffalo or Cleveland! Jacksonville only managed to defeat Baltimore and Houston!"

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

He also did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8rDZQVZ6x4

This guy gets paid probably a good sum of money for...what exactly?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

He's gotta be the father of the blond kid from "Bad Santa".

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

He also did this:

This guy gets paid probably a good sum of money for...what exactly?
He's every old white guy Boston fan stereotype that cares way more about the Sox than any other sport. He's their voice and there are a lot of them.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Fans shouldn't cover the teams they like.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Arian Foster is now using a screenshot of that article for his twitter avatar.

A full week of reverse NO RESPECT, this should be fun.

Ehud posted:

Fans shouldn't cover the teams they like.

Mike Reiss is pretty drat good for the Patriots, who started off as a wide eyed intern writing copy for the Patriots newsletter.

But yeah, whole lot of really awful guys out there.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 7, 2013

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

^ :argh:

In response, Arian Foster decided to make those opening lines of that column his twitter av

https://twitter.com/ArianFoster

Also, let me post the end of his column after last year's Super Bowl loss, because he felt Boston was going into sports hell

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/02/06/giants_edge_patriots_in_echo_of_gnawing_2008_super_bowl_upset/?page=full

quote:

When the Stanley Cup Champion Bruins visited the White House Jan. 23, President Obama said, “The Bruins, the Sox, the Celtics, now the Patriots. Enough already, Boston. What’s going on?’’

Nothing, Mr. President. Nothing at all. After a decade of dominance, New England seems to be shifting back toward the Big Middle. The Bruins have been in a midseason slump. The Celtics are calcifying before our eyes. The Red Sox are pinching pennies, falling further behind their rivals in the American League. And the Patriots have lost two straight Super Bowls in the final minute against the New York Football Giants.

Instead of celebrating a grand slam - championships in every major sport over a period of four years and four months - New Englanders are spitting out pieces of their broken luck, bracing for the avalanche of grief from those annoying New Yorkers.

Again.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

I love this article

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Has Woody Paige ever been not crazy? I only know him from his later years on "Around The Horn" and he seems like the kind of guy who could go from sportswriter to crazy religious cult leader without missing a beat.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I remember before the 2000 playoff game he was ragging on Baltimore and calling it "Baltiless". I guess it's his thing to be like that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Woody just doesn't have that ability to turn it off, as seen by his half dozen marriages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWOLdNBbp7U

He's crazy ranting uncle 24/7.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Kalli posted:

Woody just doesn't have that ability to turn it off, as seen by his half dozen marriages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWOLdNBbp7U

He's crazy ranting uncle 24/7.

Man, I bet he even orders pizza with that same voice.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 7, 2013

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
N/M

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I just saw this tweet and I had to revive this thread.

@OmarKelly: RT @robklopatek: no offense, but if Phins brass are influenced by beat writers that is the epitome of idiocy» they answer to me & my peers.

@OmarKelly: Really think about it? Who is the world asks Ireland, Ross, Philbin,coaches tough questions. Critiques them Challenges them.How many people?

Omar Kelly thinks NFL executives and coaches answer to him hahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
No loving way Omar is that delusional

• Locked thread