Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Unlucky7 posted:

I just got the classic dooms. Should I just jump into this Brutal Doom thing, or play them as they originally were? With gzdoom, of course.

You pretty much owe it to yourself to play the original episodes vanilla style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not to mention playing the classic megawads as they were designed. (Alien Vendetta, Scythe 1/2, etc)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I just got the classic dooms. Should I just jump into this Brutal Doom thing, or play them as they originally were? With gzdoom, of course.

Play it vanilla first. Then - if you feel like replaying it, or if you're having trouble getting into it vanilla - try Brutal Doom.

Also, once you start trying out third-party megawads, be aware that a lot of them are very finely balanced and will often become much harder than intended when played with Brutal Doom. The original episodes are a lot more forgiving in this regard.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm really impressed with the updated Doom launchers and Brutal Doom. Loads of carnage. If only they could produce something similar for LucasArts Outlaws...

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm really impressed with the updated Doom launchers and Brutal Doom. Loads of carnage. If only they could produce something similar for LucasArts Outlaws...

I know it's pretty inconsistent and almost vaporware, but the DarkXL engine is supposed to be adding Outlaws support eventually.

Eventually.

Edit- didn't pay attention to what your post meant, just saw Outlaws and posted. >.<

man in the eyeball hat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 31, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I know that I'm drifting dangerously close to TFR territory here, but my anticipation of the new ROTT drove me to buy a ROTT pistol.

My only regret is not buying a pair of them.

1.) What kind of gun is it in actuality?
2.) Why do your hand and the gun both look like they're 3D models?

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Because he couldn't manage to make them look like 2D sprites! :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, once you start trying out third-party megawads, be aware that a lot of them are very finely balanced and will often become much harder than intended when played with Brutal Doom. The original episodes are a lot more forgiving in this regard.

This is easily explained by simply remembering that half of Brutal Doom's point is to make the original campaigns harder since veteran doomers will find them far too easy after having triumphed over Alien Vendetta or Deus Vult 2. (The other half of Brutal Doom's point is to pretend to be in the Doom comic rather than the Doom game.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I know that I'm drifting dangerously close to TFR territory here, but my anticipation of the new ROTT drove me to buy a ROTT pistol.

I thought those were 3d models at first.

Also, it's not exactly an "old" fps, but can anyone tell me what mods I should get for Doom 3? There seem to be a bunch of different flashlight and graphics mods, and I don't know which to pick.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Also, it's not exactly an "old" fps, but can anyone tell me what mods I should get for Doom 3? There seem to be a bunch of different flashlight and graphics mods, and I don't know which to pick.

Try this pack - it includes pretty much everything important along with some preset configurations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wait, there are ROTT pistols? I must know about that!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am playing on Hurt me Plenty in Knee Deep in the Dead in the original Doom (I am presuming that the difficulties go Babby, Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard). Good fun and all, but I find it very easy compared to Blood. Then again, when I played Blood, it was nothing but brutal. Well made, but tough, often to my own enjoyment. I am fine with walking before running.

Or should I stop screwing around and restart on one of the higher difficulties?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unlucky7 posted:

I am playing on Hurt me Plenty in Knee Deep in the Dead in the original Doom (I am presuming that the difficulties go Babby, Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard). Good fun and all, but I find it very easy compared to Blood. Then again, when I played Blood, it was nothing but brutal. Well made, but tough, often to my own enjoyment. I am fine with walking before running.

Or should I stop screwing around and restart on one of the higher difficulties?
Do Ultra-violence. Doom 1 is pretty easy with it, especially if you have full mouselook. Nightmare is just a gimmick difficulty.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Ultra-Violence is a fantastic level of difficulty, with great monster density. I pretty much refuse to play on anything lower, even in too-hard wads. :colbert:

Nightmare is stupid.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I am playing on Hurt me Plenty in Knee Deep in the Dead in the original Doom (I am presuming that the difficulties go Babby, Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard).
The difficulties basically go:

Easy with double ammo
Easy
Normal
Hard
Hard with double ammo and respawning monsters

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stuntman posted:

Do Ultra-violence. Doom 1 is pretty easy with it, especially if you have full mouselook. Nightmare is just a gimmick difficulty.

I am playing with full mouselook. Does it break the game that much that I should turn it off?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

The difficulties basically go:

Easy with double ammo
Easy
Normal
Hard
Hard with double ammo and respawning monsters

Or for a lot of levels because the authors get lazy:

Double ammo
No differences
No differences
No differences
Double ammo and respawning monsters

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unlucky7 posted:

I am playing with full mouselook. Does it break the game that much that I should turn it off?
It doesn't break the game a ton, but it's a little bit easier than standard mouselook. Personal preference, I suppose.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Not exactly. Doom compensated for no vertical aiming by automatically angling shots up or down. What makes the game easier is that people actually strafe now, when in 1993 strafing wasn't really part of how people played.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Unlucky7 posted:

Nah, lots of us play with mouselook on.

It's worth remembering, though, that shootable walls (this goes both for regular switches, and the Icon of Sin, heh) aren't factored in by the vertical autoaim in the original game, and so if you're mouselooking you can cheat a bit by shooting a switch that's above or below you. This generally means there's some way you're supposed to figure out to get yourself up to the necessary height to aim at it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

1.) What kind of gun is it in actuality?

1.) Old as hell Walther P-38.
2.) Crappy lighting.

I should probably just start a "pistols of early FPSs" collection now that I have both ROTT and Duke 3D covered. :v:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I just stumbled onto some sweet old school videogaming channels on youtube, one of which has this awesome little video about the history of the build engine. Man seeing that Ken's Labyrinth gameplay got me all nostalgic. Also incredibly jealous that I couldn't produce something like that when I was 17, still can't for that matter. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8tDBg4pfYk

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Why can't I change classes any more in Aeons of Death? I tried it with the newest GZDoom SVN and pressing left and right on the player options menu for it does nothing.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 3, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zeether posted:

Why can't I change classes any more in Aeons of Death? I tried it with the newest GZDoom SVN and pressing left and right on the player options menu for it does nothing

You don't have classes anymore, if I remember right.

Is there a source port for RtCW yet? There is that ET-XReal, but I'd like something for SP. Also still looking for single player mods or map packs.

Edit: vvv I do have that, but I can't remember where I got it either. Maybe the WSGF? It's not a pressing need for a source port, just idle curiosity.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 3, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

You don't have classes anymore, if I remember right.

Is there a source port for RtCW yet? There is that ET-XReal, but I'd like something for SP. Also still looking for single player mods or map packs.
I had a source mod to allow setting custom screen resolutions, but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it...

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I will keep the Reelism hype train going if I have to shovel the coal in MYSELF

The Municipal Transpo level is getting upgraded. gently caress yes.

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod.

I only just recently got back into playing some oldschool FPS games... I'm more than a little bit embarrassed that I got more excited reading this thread than I did about my last birthday or christmas.

Very :australia: but, from the age of about 14 onwards, I used to come home from house parties and sober up by playing all these games. Now I get to do it in with 3D sound!

Just want to say a big thanks to the OP for putting this thread together. I'm more excited than the nintendo64 kid right now. Who's up for a game of Tribes?

edit: I just reinstalled Duke3d and I'm having major flashbacks of waiting 45+ minutes downloading maps from Meccaworld to play on my dialup modem. I'm so loving old. :blush:

Favela Flav fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 3, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I will keep the Reelism hype train going if I have to shovel the coal in MYSELF

The Municipal Transpo level is getting upgraded. gently caress yes.
I just got the near-final version of this from the mapper. Doing some more tweaks to it now. It's a nice improvement!

Here's a weird mod I'm keeping an eye on: A Doom take on Mario 64, of all things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQRb8uDumg

A demo of In The Shadows was released for Quake 1 last month. It's a Stealth game, of all things... I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a good way of implementing a stealth system in a very stealth-unfriendly game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YArCZDpkcSA

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wasn't there some fake Quake competitor being advertised on the newsgroups all the time called Into The Shadows?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

Here's a weird mod I'm keeping an eye on: A Doom take on Mario 64, of all things.

You mean 'About time!'

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Reminds me of Super Sonic Doom, but more polished.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

Well since they're just kinda taking the setting & the idea of the magic paintings and otherwise keeping it pretty DOOM, that looks pretty awesome.

I was prepared for some kind of platforming nonsense when you said Doom Mario 64 :P

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So, uh, why does Map 10 in Scythe not work in Aeons of Death? The part where the level supposedly ends...doesn't end the level (I'm talking about the lava pit that kills you)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Just seeing the breadth of interesting Doom mods is depressing in a way, just imagine all the cool stuff we'd have if all companies released their source code when the game becomes obsolete.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Finished Memento Mori II with Brutal Doom...I'm not sure how I felt about it, I like the more visceral experience it gives and the bigger "punch" the weapons pack, but a lot of it seems unnecessary and the gameplay is changed a lot.

What big megawad should I tackle next? I've done Scythe, Scythe2, MM1, MM2, Alien Vendetta, Deus Vult, Deus Vult 2 (not megawads I guess but w/e), and probably some other I'm forgetting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Evan Montegarde posted:

Finished Memento Mori II with Brutal Doom...I'm not sure how I felt about it, I like the more visceral experience it gives and the bigger "punch" the weapons pack, but a lot of it seems unnecessary and the gameplay is changed a lot.

What big megawad should I tackle next? I've done Scythe, Scythe2, MM1, MM2, Alien Vendetta, Deus Vult, Deus Vult 2 (not megawads I guess but w/e), and probably some other I'm forgetting.

Speed of Doom.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Plutonia 2 and/or Plutonia Revisited are worth a try. I haven't played the entirety of Revisited, but I can at least vouch for Xaser's maps in it, both of which are great.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm going through Plutonia + Brutal Doom v0.18 right now and it's sublime.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Evan Montegarde posted:

Requiem is basically MM3 and very nice. Icarus: Alien Vanguard is also pretty neat though not as good as Requiem overall. I'll vouch for Plutonia Revisited; it's an absolute blast. You can also try Valkiriforce's vanilla megaWADs, Doom Core and Reverie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

There was a (G?)ZDoom mod a year or so back that I found on some forums which I can't remember the name of. The mod had a grayscale theme, but enemies would drop red orbs that you could use to cast what were essentially vampire spells. I also believe that either ammo or health were removed from the game in favor of placing mana (like a strict item replacement), and you could heal by basically devouring corpses I believe. I know it's not much to go off of, but does this sound familiar to anyone else?