Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

VanillaGorilla posted:

Wandered down to my local bookstore to grab a copy of EOTW that I'd like Harriet to sign when she's down with Brandon for a signing next month, and asked to pre-order MoL on a whim. I was summarily informed that they had about a million copies in the back and that I didn't need to worry about it.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually offered the customer service rep a non-insignificant amount of money to sell me one early. She's a better employee than I would be.

I had to try, I guess :smith:

Reminds me of when I bought my copy of Forza 3 on Xbox. I knew it was due out the next day, but I also knew they'd have it, so I just went store to store asking for it. I got a winner, when a girl turned to the stack of the game behind the counter, moved the 'DO NOT SELL THIS GAME' notice, ignored the 'DO NOT SELL UNTIL DATE' sticker on it, and sold it to me.
:allears:

Seriously, if you try it, you'll find someone who doesn't give enough of a gently caress and will sell it to you, you might have to try a few places is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
NPR has the first POV of Chapter 3 up.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/29/168075551/exclusive-first-read-a-memory-of-light-by-robert-jordan-and-brandon-sanderson

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
#35 What did you do when the One Power failed, the thing you relied upon to raise you above common folk?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

VanillaGorilla posted:

FYI first spoilers are hitting the net - it was a doozy, too. I can't help myself, and I can't wait to read some of this stuff in text.

Yeah, that was a real doozy. Holy poo poo.

e: I can't say I wasn't warned, but drat, I wish I hadn't read that. Now I'm jonesing harder than ever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 30, 2012

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
They generally don't release major books between Thanksgiving & New Years, so once they decided to move it past November, January was where it was most likely to hit. Brandon explained when talking release dates of one of the previous books.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

api call girl posted:

Yeah, that was a real doozy. Holy poo poo.

e: I can't say I wasn't warned, but drat, I wish I hadn't read that. Now I'm jonesing harder than ever.

Oh god, please let this thread stay spoiler-free... I just ordered it on amazon with super-fast shipping but I am sure I will run across a spoiler or two before I get it. It's been so long since I read the series I doubt if a spoiler would even mean anything to me but better safe than sorry.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Oh god, please let this thread stay spoiler-free... I just ordered it on amazon with super-fast shipping but I am sure I will run across a spoiler or two before I get it. It's been so long since I read the series I doubt if a spoiler would even mean anything to me but better safe than sorry.

The spoilers are just making me even more excited for the finished product. The neat thing with a book is there's so much detail that goes along with the spoilers that it isn't too big a deal (to me at least) to have the spoilers known but so much meat to get to.

Needless to say, the spoilers are pretty spectacular as well. I haven't seen all of them or know everything remotely but it does appear that this book is not going to be a cliche affair that wraps everything up neatly and nicely which as has been posted before is something that was never in the cards by intent on RJ's part.

say no to bats fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 30, 2012

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I've never been of the opinion that spoilers hinder my own experience very much. The sort of snippets you get out of this sort of thing just make me more interested. So I went digging and wow, I can't wait to see how these things fall out.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I'm dying to get spoiled but google shows me the same stuff we've been posting here.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

How long until an end book spoiler gets posted as a new "theory" here? I'm out of this thread for the next few weeks. Take no chances.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I hit up dragonmount, they have a subforum for spoilers. I haven't found out much but what I have read there made me bump my preorder up to the fastest shipping. If there's another place spilling the goods I haven't found it yet.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yeah, I wouldn't go to Dragonmount - the first post in a real spoiler thread is a totally no context superspoiler. Which is surprisingly less satisfying than having more context.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Just preordered, now I'm going to download the whole rest of the series to my Kindle, reread, and geek out.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
#36 The Blight had consumed the Two Rivers.

^^^ well that explains the opener chapter.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Velius posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't go to Dragonmount - the first post in a real spoiler thread is a totally no context superspoiler. Which is surprisingly less satisfying than having more context.

I'm not sure what else you'd expect given that the policy is apparently that if you're not talking about big fat juicy spoilers you should use one of their other forums instead but how you like your spoilers is really subjective in the first place.

fraidykat
May 8, 2004

Not too brave...
I keep bloody going back there and peeking at the thread in question. There's something wrong with me :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

api call girl posted:

For everyone else out there, holy poo poo, this is how you get someone's attention.
What? How? When? Why? What in the gently caress?

Goddamn, I want this book.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

fraidykat posted:

I keep bloody going back there and peeking at the thread in question. There's something wrong with me :(

I'm still hoping someone seriously answers the question that was raised. Like I'm prettttttty sure I know the answer but I just have to know for sure. :ohdear:

Of course the best part of all of this is one of the accidental early shipments was apparently from Chapters to my city, so I keep feeling like if I'd just ordered from them instead of Amazon...

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I keep promising myself I won't check the spoilers, but oh it's so freaking tempting.

If I don't look at them this will be the first time I've ever went without spoiling something big for myself.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
My mission over the next 8 or so days is to spoil myself but not too much. Fly close to the fire but not get burnt.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

api call girl posted:

Geographically, how the gently caress can that even happen?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ramadu posted:

Geographically, how the gently caress can that even happen?

Perrin saw the Blight transposed because of the failing Pattern.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Yeah, I went to the dragonmount forums and managed to get a pretty massive context-free spoiler. In the form of a list of characters who die. No telling how they die, but now I know.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I've read through all of the spoilers, found the chapter titles along with a partial list of POVs in each chapter, and it's pretty much just whet my appetite for the main course.

I mean the good news is that the info is hitting, and it doesn't look like this thing's going out with a whimper. A lot of critical readers are saying they think it's one of the best books in the series, and that's great. God knows it could have gone the other way. It's lookin' like this might be up there with TSR or FoH (both in quality and length).

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

api call girl posted:

Perrin saw the Blight transposed because of the failing Pattern.

Uh what? When? Do you mean that Shayol Gul is now Emonds Field or something? I really have no idea what that means.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ramadu posted:

Uh what? When? Do you mean that Shayol Gul is now Emonds Field or something? I really have no idea what that means.

In Towers of Midnight, a section of the Blight had gotten transplanted into Ghealdan where Perrin was travelling through. Presumably something similar happens to the Two Rivers on a guided, larger scale.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Ithaqua posted:

Yeah, I went to the dragonmount forums and managed to get a pretty massive context-free spoiler. In the form of a list of characters who die. No telling how they die, but now I know.

Oh poo poo, people are actually gonna die. That's a first.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Personperson14 posted:

Oh poo poo, people are actually gonna die. That's a first.

Yep, this is the point where I bail to stay spoiler free.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

api call girl posted:

In Towers of Midnight, a section of the Blight had gotten transplanted into Ghealdan where Perrin was travelling through. Presumably something similar happens to the Two Rivers on a guided, larger scale.

Ohhh yeah, I remember that now. Thanks for the remind, theres just so drat much to remember in this series.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Fintilgin posted:

Yep, this is the point where I bail to stay spoiler free.

Yep, getting the gently caress outta the thread until I read it. You're going to be tempting me, thread, with all your new posts as the book comes out. But I will remain strong. And I will enjoy this book unspoiled. I have done it through every other book/release, and I can finish strong!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Yep, I'm out of here and everything else WOT related until I finish the book. I know I'm gonna get on Dragonmount one day and it will be hacked before the book comes out and it's like.

ALL THE 2 RIVERS PEOPLE DIE
RAND BECOMES THE DARK ONE
BELA KILLS EGWENE
ROBERT JORDAN IS THE DARK ONE
IT'S ALL THE DREAM OF A GOONISH FANTASY NERD.

That's all made up but If one of them is true. :haw:

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 31, 2012

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Personperson14 posted:

BELA KILLS EGWENE

Please Bela is the Creator's avatar. Well all know that!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

calandryll posted:

Please Bela is the Creator's avatar. Well all know that!

So the Creator kills Egwene?!!

I'm ok with that!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Seeya later shitlords, it's been real but I want to go into reading this as pure as the driven snow.

Catch you on the 9th!!

fraidykat
May 8, 2004

Not too brave...
My local indy store has one on a shelf behind the register, but it's reserved for someone else :( They reserved another one for me and said that I can pick it up as soon as it arrives, but that probably won't be until after I leave for a trip tomorrow!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

api call girl posted:

When exactly does this happen? Is it early on in the book? I don't remember it at all.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Two Finger posted:

When exactly does this happen? Is it early on in the book? I don't remember it at all.

Pretty much right before he meets the Whitecloaks. I can't be more specific than that because I'm tablet posting right now. He has the Wise Ones and Aes Sedai burn it all.

e: oh hey, new forum design

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
#37 "Run, Bela," Faile said. "If you've kept any strength back, now is the time to use it. Please. Run, girl. Run."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

api call girl posted:

Pretty much right before he meets the Whitecloaks. I can't be more specific than that because I'm tablet posting right now. He has the Wise Ones and Aes Sedai burn it all.

e: oh hey, new forum design

Huh, I must have had it mixed up with the dust-thingy later in the book. I'd completely forgotten it, just read it again. Nice foreshadowing to The Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

api call girl posted:

#37 "Run, Bela," Faile said. "If you've kept any strength back, now is the time to use it. Please. Run, girl. Run."

Earlier today I was wondering if Bela would appear in the final book, my question is answered!

I have a dilemma and need some advice. I started re-reading the series way too late and I'm only now just finishing book 4. What should I do?

1. Continue my re-read and get to Memory of Light whenever I get to it.
2. Finish book 4 and read chapter summaries for the rest before aMoL comes out.
3. Skip books 5-12 and power through Towers of Midnight in preparation for aMoL.

The problem is that I am really enjoying re-reading the series but it will be really difficult to delay reading the final book for probably several months if I do continue the re-read.

• Locked thread