Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well gently caress, I'm getting some Ravenwing then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw Eldrad with a unit of Wraithguard soak up Kharn + 10, and then a Dark Apostle w/ Axe + 10. Rerolling saves is loving amazing.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
^^^^ I remember before they FAQ'd Destructor Eldar Seer Council was redonks in combat. Charing into like 8 heavy flamers before fighting ninja dodging warlocks was shocking.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Tau player was being whiny. It even fits the fluff, as people in totalitarian societies will always blame failure on outside influences.

Whenever anyone talks about having beaten a Tau army all I can think of is that picture of the Possessed Marines in the Chaos Marines codex murderizing a bunch of firewarriors.

"Congratulations on proving your martial prowess on a worthy foe." :slowclap:

... I can't wait til late 2013/never.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 31, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey, do we know who wrote the new DA codex?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fix posted:

Hey, do we know who wrote the new DA codex?

Jeremy Vetock

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Who?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Bloke who wrote the Ogre Kingdoms armybook.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ah. How did that work out?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Big Willy Style posted:

Bloke who wrote the Ogre Kingdoms armybook.

Skaven, too. All in all some solid books.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fix posted:

Ah. How did that work out?

Pretty good.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Well gently caress, I'm getting some Ravenwing then.

5 twin-linked plasma guns with a apothecary in case you still roll loving ones. Lead by a hit-and-run IC with a plasma cannon and 6 AP2 attacks. That better be a 400 point unit right there.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

LordAba posted:

5 twin-linked plasma guns with a apothecary in case you still roll loving ones. Lead by a hit-and-run IC with a plasma cannon and 6 AP2 attacks. That better be a 400 point unit right there.

I'd be more than happy considering Sammael + six bikes naked is 425 points right now

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

All right then.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Skaven is very good still in 8th, and was definitely not written for the new edition from the start, but it's translated well. They're probably near the top of the good armies after DE and Daemons and Lizards, all of whom have amazing Magic phases/were written for 7th. Ogres was the second 8th ed book, and is really solid. It's not top tier, but it is strong, has lots of cool choices, and went from a joke army in it's last iteration to good in 8th. It has issues, but they're more issues with monstrous infantry in general and not the book in particular.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
are flakk missiles starting to appear in codices now? I remember a friend saying that they were basically going to be implementing them in the codex for each faction as it rolls out and that seems like it would make certain groups much more independent again. I know space wolves basically have to ally to get anti air and such, is there anything in the dark angels codex that looks like it supports that rumor?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

mmj posted:

are flakk missiles starting to appear in codices now? I remember a friend saying that they were basically going to be implementing them in the codex for each faction as it rolls out and that seems like it would make certain groups much more independent again. I know space wolves basically have to ally to get anti air and such, is there anything in the dark angels codex that looks like it supports that rumor?

Chaos Space Marines can purchase them for Havocs, but they are prohibitively expensive and are generally avoided.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Yeah, Dark Angels get it on everything that has a missile launcher - Vets can have one, Tacs can have one, and presumably Devs can have up to four for way too many points.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Speaking of anti-air, what are the best options for a mech Guard army around 1000 points? Heldrakes in particular look like they'll chew up my guys without even trying. Vendettas seem like the obvious answer but I'm short on twin-linked lascannons, meaning I can't use them thanks to a particularly picky store manager who still enforces WYSIWYG. Am I just stuck with a quad gun (leaving the gunner dangerously exposed) or Hydras (leaving my wallet dangerously exposed)?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Sykic posted:

...picky store manager who still enforces WYSIWYG.

I'd tell him your enforcing "I don't shop here anymore" and play elsewhere. gently caress that noise.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CyberLord XP posted:

I'd tell him your enforcing "I don't shop here anymore" and play elsewhere. gently caress that noise.

Yeah really what the hell. If they're being a dick about things or cheating then it's fine to tell someone to WYSIWYG their stuff but if their opponent is fine with it and they're being reasonable then the manager is just being a loving sperglord.

mmj posted:

Armored Fist heavy weapon teams can supposedly take them in the new Imperial Armour 1 rules but I don't have the book yet to confirm.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 31, 2012

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Hydras aren't good, man, and I'm not a fan of the Quad-gun. Get some lascannon bits cheap on ebay, the conversion is simple.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Sykic posted:

I'm short on twin-linked lascannons, meaning I can't use them thanks to a particularly picky store manager who still enforces WYSIWYG.

What you need is some bluetack and a few empty biro tubes. Counts as Lascannons for your Vendettas. You could also paint, LASCANNON onto the tubes so your manager is left under no illusion as to what they are. Problem solved.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Just stick some straws on there in the meantime.

In life related news, I made the conscious decision to spend Christmas cash on a new winter coat instead of grey plastic. I feel like I passed a test of human versus ham.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sammael only has 3 attacks basic, not 5.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'd be more than happy considering Sammael + six bikes naked is 425 points right now

Haha, it's been a while before I looked at the dark angels codex.

I have Sisters of Battle and want some marine allies. Dark Angels are perfect because if I want to gently caress around with bikes or terminators as troops I can. I'm going to make them Rainbow Warriors for the irony angle (one of the first notable pictures of a sister of battle is Sister Sin blasting away a Rainbow Marine), and they look bad rear end with the Mayan/Incan theme (aka random lizardmen bits) even if the Rainbow Warrior legend that inspired the boat that inspired the french to gently caress up that inspired Games Workshop is Native American.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

serious gaylord posted:

Sammael only has 3 attacks basic, not 5.

3 + dual wielding + charge

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Unfortunately I can't find any on ebay for a reasonable price, nor on any bitz sites I use, to the point where it would end up being cheaper to just buy the conversion kit from Forgeworld. As for the manager, this is the same guy who says I can't "proxy" wargear, so a meltagun is a meltagun and never a plasma gun, not even in a friendly game. There's no way in hell he'd let me use straws as lascannons unless they looked almost exactly like the real deal. Then he watches me like a drat hawk because a fair number of my models are full of magnets to swap gear around and I "might damage the store computer". I'm pretty sure the only way he'll be happy is if I buy duplicate models for each piece of wargear.

:negative:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sykic posted:

Unfortunately I can't find any on ebay for a reasonable price, nor on any bitz sites I use, to the point where it would end up being cheaper to just buy the conversion kit from Forgeworld. As for the manager, this is the same guy who says I can't "proxy" wargear, so a meltagun is a meltagun and never a plasma gun, not even in a friendly game. There's no way in hell he'd let me use straws as lascannons unless they looked almost exactly like the real deal. Then he watches me like a drat hawk because a fair number of my models are full of magnets to swap gear around and I "might damage the store computer". I'm pretty sure the only way he'll be happy is if I buy duplicate models for each piece of wargear.

Why would you ever play a game with this guy?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Sykic posted:

Just leave.

Nobody should have to put up with stuff like that. Take your money elsewhere or start a sweet garage gaming club.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sykic posted:

"might damage the store computer".

Unless he's opened up his hard drive and has it lying on the counter or he's using a CRT monitor then this is pretty much impossible.

Is he the owner of the store or just some manager? If it's the latter then politely tell his boss you'll no longer be shopping there because his employee is creating an unpleasant atmosphere by being a shitlord.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 31, 2012

The Toy Taker
Dec 10, 2004
1,500: Blood Angels vs. Orks

The Blood Angels: Dante, Sanguinary Guard (5), Assault Troops (10), Vindicators (2), Baal Predators (3), maybe some other unit I'm forgetting.
The Orks: 1 Big Mek KFF, 1 Warboss Biker with a Big Choppa (for initiative), Nob Warbikers (7), Ork Boyz and Power Klaw Nob (11) in a Trukk (1), Shoota Boyz with Big Shootas and Big Choppa Nob (30), Grots (15), Deff Dread with Skorchas (1), Looted Wagons with Boomguns (2)

Two vindicator hits raped my Warbiker Nobz, thanks to Ignore Cover and Instant Death (S10), but they managed to wreck one Predator and one Vindicator before that. One Warbiker Nob survived, and he captured the objective.

At the end of the game I had one Warbiker Nob, 1 Big Mek with a KFF, and one Nob and one boy left from the troop squad. I had foolishly charged my Deff Dread into the Assault Troops when I should have stayed back and put down skorcha templates.

I technically won the game because the one surviving Warbiker held the enemy objective (I can't remember the name of the mission) and the Grots created a tarpit long enough to keep the Assault Troops from getting to my objective.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Enentol posted:

Just leave.

Nobody should have to put up with stuff like that. Take your money elsewhere or start a sweet garage gaming club.

I think the point the manager is making is that he's not getting the money in the first place.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What the christ just happened? I leave for five minutes...

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

Is he the owner of the store or just some manager? If it's the latter then politely tell his boss you'll no longer be shopping there because his employee is creating an unpleasant atmosphere by being a shitlord.

Lone staff member and manager of the local GW store. Says it all, doesn't it?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sykic posted:

Then he watches me like a drat hawk because a fair number of my models are full of magnets to swap gear around and I "might damage the store computer".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HJxya0CWco

Seriously, grab your regulars and try to work something out off-site. There is no WYSIWYG requirement in 6th Edition at all and even if there was, if two people can agree on proxies there's no reason they can't play with them. Get some cheap MDF boards, make or but some terrain, play your own game and be free from warham tyranny.

e: holy poo poo forum software upgrade
ee: holy poo poo this owns

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

I think the point the manager is making is that he's not getting the money in the first place.

Well, if you don't buy any of the models and use his store for free then he can be a little irked. If you buy 90% of your army there, he should let the 10% fly. If you are in-between, he should still favour not being a dick. What does he do for Ork players? I would be hosed if I went to play there.

Edit:

I went to B&Q/Homebase (can't remember). £15 for a table sized piece of MDF that served as a table in our house. Our house, our rules. Beerhammer is the besthammer.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

The Toy Taker posted:

Two vindicator hits raped my Warbiker Nobz, thanks to Ignore Cover and Instant Death (S10)

What? Demolisher cannon don't Ignore Cover.

Also don't use "rape" in this context tia.

The Toy Taker
Dec 10, 2004

adamantium|wang posted:

Cool, thanks for the info Tia. But be careful, it is considered bad form to sign your name at the end of a post here on SomethingAwful.com!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
As funny as that Dad joke was I hope you've taken his advice on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

adamantium|wang posted:

Sup a|w?

• Locked thread