Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Der Shovel posted:

Holy poo poo, I couldn't believe Arino's blind fall through that ninja cavern.

The way he flew right through that one ninja caught me by surprise. I guess they can't one-hit kill you during their invincibility frames? Either that or the game liked Arino way more than any other game in the show's history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Watching the New Year's 'Special', I'm curious: why does the sound quality go to hell in the last couple minutes? Anyone know?

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

FredMSloniker posted:

Watching the New Year's 'Special', I'm curious: why does the sound quality go to hell in the last couple minutes? Anyone know?

Until someone else contradicts me, I'm blaming it on Inoko MAX, but I immediately forgive him.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

It's a problem we noticed from the master video. The volume suddenly jumped to absurd levels at that point in the video. We normalized it but it jumped so high that a lot of the range got cut as a result. Given the options this seemed the better choice.

Edit: I am so glad that there's only one more standard definition challenge after this. Or at least one more broadcast SD challenge. There's still a the Nintendo Channel ones that aren't in a widescreen format and a few of the DVD challenges...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 1, 2013

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Silentman0 posted:

The way he flew right through that one ninja caught me by surprise. I guess they can't one-hit kill you during their invincibility frames? Either that or the game liked Arino way more than any other game in the show's history.

I'm not 100% sure what happened here either, but the ninja he went through ended up taking his life down from 5 to 3. Maybe hitting them with a bomb reduces the amount of damage they do so they don't instakill? Maybe the bomb hit temporarily stops them from being an instakill sprite, and touching any other part of the enemy's body instead of the sword does less damage? I dunno, just throwing out ideas. Truly another Arino "Miracle Play".

edit: :laffo: Man, Inoko MAX can't do anything right!

Shock Trooper fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 1, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Shock Trooper posted:

I'm not 100% sure what happened here either, but the ninja he went through ended up taking his life down from 5 to 3. Maybe hitting them with a bomb reduces the amount of damage they do so they don't instakill? Maybe the bomb hit temporarily stops them from being an instakill sprite, and touching any other part of the enemy's body instead of the sword does less damage? I dunno, just throwing out ideas. Truly another Arino "Miracle Play".

Maybe the bomb's blast hurts the player as well, reducing him to 3, and the temporary invincibility after that damage let him pass through.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I have learned something about Abe that I had forgotten. Apparently he's a closeted philatelist.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Gutcruncher posted:

How will you all spend your New Years Eve? Partying? Drinking? Watching the ball drop? Me, Im gonna watch japanese men hanging out and rambling in The Dullest New Years Special In History! This whole shindig got translated by Zari-gani.

For best results, begin watching at exactly 11:55 PM tonight

Download torrent81 (1 file; 120.48 MB)
View torrent stats

http://depositfiles.com/files/xw5dr3n4s

I will be giving this a go at 11:55. The TV is just making me cringe. 10 minutes to go.

Edit: That was pretty cool. The syncing 5 minutes in advanced worked perfectly.

orochi fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 1, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
After watching the 2011 New Year's Special, it makes me want to see the Iwate Special subbed so we can see Arino finish the Pilotwings challenge for good.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 1, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Obeast posted:

I would actually love a vending machine that did put out a small bowl of ramen or dried chicken noodle soup and filled it with hot water to cook in a few minutes.

I actually ran into one of these in a hotel in City of Industry, California. The water wasn't hot enough and it wasn't filtered very well/at all. Disappointing.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Allen Wren posted:

I actually ran into one of these in a hotel in City of Industry, California. The water wasn't hot enough and it wasn't filtered very well/at all. Disappointing.

Even if the vending machines suck, they still never cease to amaze me. Human beings suck a lot of the time too at making food. I had a teacher in high school (quite a few years ago at this point) who said all of the low end jobs like making food and grocery cashiers would soon belong to robots. The pre-engineering/robotics teacher to be exact. It seems more relevant every passing year.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shock Trooper posted:

Now I really want to see the Tecmo Wrestling segment Inoko MAX and the other AD did on that live show. Has it been translated?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

orochi posted:

Even if the vending machines suck, they still never cease to amaze me. Human beings suck a lot of the time too at making food. I had a teacher in high school (quite a few years ago at this point) who said all of the low end jobs like making food and grocery cashiers would soon belong to robots. The pre-engineering/robotics teacher to be exact. It seems more relevant every passing year.

I saw a vending machine at... atlanta international was it?... that makes a no-poo poo pizza in like three minutes from flour, yeast, water, tomato paste and toppings. Cook it in an IR oven right in front of you, I was like :stare: for five minutes.

(the pizza was quite awful, but it was fast!)

vgperson
Oct 29, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Now I really want to see the Tecmo Wrestling segment Inoko MAX and the other AD did on that live show. Has it been translated?

Yes, it's part of the Lemmings Live highlight reel. (LE3, I think?)

"We'll never show it again."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, the Nakayama and Inoue match is in the 24 hour special with a special guest appearance by Emoto.

vgperson posted:

"We'll never show it again."

And when they found out that fans outside of Japan knew about it, "How'd they find out about that? Wasn't it an exclusive clip?"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh awesome, now to look that clip up.

Also until recently I thought Inoko MAX had done some amateur pro wrestling in some minor league somewhere, but apparently he was in a pro wrestling club in high school :psyduck: How many different clubs do Japanese schools have!?

Cudgeon
Dec 31, 2012
The Dullest new years special was great :D

@ Die Schaufel As far as I know they are organized by students, so theoretically there is an indefinite number of clubs, of course limited by space and number of actual students. ;)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

I have learned something about Abe that I had forgotten. Apparently he's a closeted philatelist.

I was surprised to learn recently that Abe got married at the age of 40, during the show's run. For some reason I thought he was married longer than that.

Also, Abe is an expert on everything.

ETA: I managed to squeeze in one more translation before the new year :3:

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 1, 2013

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

Also, Abe is an expert on everything.

Abe may be the only man in the universe who's could honestly answer the question of "What's your biggest weakness" with "I have no weaknesses." That, or that his awesomeness is not strong enough to penetrate Arino and thus turning him into an expert game player.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Cemetry Gator posted:

Abe may be the only man in the universe who's could honestly answer the question of "What's your biggest weakness" with "I have no weaknesses." That, or that his awesomeness is not strong enough to penetrate Arino and thus turning him into an expert game player.

Well, we know he's not that good at Street Fighter II, at least.

On the other hand, if they ever had Abe play one of the quiz games, he wouldn't need any help from the staff. Or any extra continues.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I grew up in Hawaii so rice cookers were literally everywhere including McDonald's, but I eventually had to learn how to cook rice without one. And then I spent some time on the mainland and me and rice, we kinda fell out. Bread is good, though, everyone should know how to cook that.

You can make bread in a rice cooker! :science:

Came out pretty good too...

And that water heater I linked is pretty pricy, you can find much cheaper ones, still not optional :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Abe is not a gamer and he doesn't know the who was the hero and who was the villain in the movies he's seen. On the other hand, he is a cameraman, chef, comic artist, motorcyclist, fisherman, and expert in nearly any other thing that has come up on the show...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

victrix posted:

You can make bread in a rice cooker! :science:

Came out pretty good too...

And that water heater I linked is pretty pricy, you can find much cheaper ones, still not optional :colbert:

I see someone has watched Yakitate Japan as well.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I see someone has watched Yakitate Japan as well.

Which what where? My SO is asian, and loves to bake, so it was her creation :shobon:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

victrix posted:

Which what where? My SO is asian, and loves to bake, so it was her creation :shobon:

Oh fair enough. But it's an anime series about baking all kinds of bread, and they have a live action segment where they show you how to make bread inside a rice cooker in one episode.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Oh fair enough. But it's an anime series about baking all kinds of bread, and they have a live action segment where they show you how to make bread inside a rice cooker in one episode.

This bears investigation - she loves cooking tv in general, so she might well like that if it actually has real cooking stuff in it

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Ineffiable posted:

But it's an anime series about baking all kinds of bread
Japan continues to make the craziest things.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Pyrovile posted:

Japan continues to make the craziest things.

I think it had like 52 freaking episodes. And almost every episode had some different bread in it.

victrix posted:

This bears investigation - she loves cooking tv in general, so she might well like that if it actually has real cooking stuff in it

Be warned, the live action cooking segment is like only 3-4 minutes at the end, but it does at least show you what you need to make it, and a quick rundown of how to cook it.

The anime itself is actually pretty decent and she might enjoy it. It's got almost nothing very groanworthy that comes out of most anime these days. I think a lot of the breads in the anime series can actually be cooked so it'll introduce her to some interesting ideas.

Plus, this is a character that pops up pretty much every episode:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I pretty much completely stopped watching anime when whatever crazed batch of assholes took over and started producing weird creepy poo poo became the majority. Maybe there's some good stuff out there, but the last few years that I looked... most of the stuff was just :gonk: and the rest was formulaic in the extreme.

I'll check that out though, it sounds fairly benign.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

victrix posted:

I pretty much completely stopped watching anime when whatever crazed batch of assholes took over and started producing weird creepy poo poo became the majority. Maybe there's some good stuff out there, but the last few years that I looked... most of the stuff was just :gonk: and the rest was formulaic in the extreme.

I'll check that out though, it sounds fairly benign.

It is, and if you want to play a joke on your SO one day you should introduce her to the Absolutely Tasty series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLXb2A7saLs

Sorry for the derail from GCCX. Actually, to make it on topic; Arino and Abe and the rest of the ADs should have some kind of game corner segment with Absolutely Tasty. Make a meal that helps you game!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ineffiable posted:

I think it had like 52 freaking episodes. And almost every episode had some different bread in it.

It did have 52 episodes, although episodes near the end of the series are somewhat worse than the preceding due in part to the anime catching up to the manga and them having to come up with new poo poo on the fly that wouldn't undermine the author's work in progress.

Also the taster judge dude is the best dude.

Returning back to GCCX talk, watching the Mighty Bomb Jack episodes made me want to play it, and it turns out that they were quite right about the gambling-esque exhilaration one gets when going for repeated warps.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Oops! Triple post!

joek0 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 1, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

ETA: I managed to squeeze in one more translation before the new year :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUSyEQF7Zw

Here is a link to the 2013 GCCX New Year's Special. It follows the same format as the 2012 New Year's Special that was just subbed. Zarigani says that it will be subbed if there are no spoilers in the video. I wonder if this is what she translated for the last of the year.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 2, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Oops! Double post!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Random Stranger posted:

Abe is not a gamer and he doesn't know the who was the hero and who was the villain in the movies he's seen. On the other hand, he is a cameraman, chef, comic artist, motorcyclist, fisherman, and expert in nearly any other thing that has come up on the show...

You say like that not being a gamer is a weakness. Also, as to your point about not knowing who the heroes and villains are: I would contend that Abe is able to see the moral shades of grey in the movies he watches, and cannot make blanket statements as to who is good and who is evil. He can see the good in the evil and the evil in the good.

Also, which episode did that occur in?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 25 (Quiz - Feudal lords' ambition) where Abe got the movie question wrong and was corrected by Producer Kan (?) Much hilarity ensued.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

You say like that not being a gamer is a weakness.

He just needs to know who to kill.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Cemetry Gator posted:

You say like that not being a gamer is a weakness.

That reminds me of an exchange I saw in a chat somewhere that I felt rang true.

"Why is Abe so cool?"
"Because he's not a gamer."

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Took me a bit of Googling to find, but if you're wondering what that mini-cartridge Arino picks up in the game guessing segment, it's basically a plug-in roster update cart for the main Nantettatte Baseball game:

This is the only real clear shot I found online of the slot on the back of the main cartridge where that mini cart goes in. Cool idea by Sunsoft, I haven't seen anything like that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Outside of his undeniable charm, charisma and overall machismo, is there any precedence for Abe always being included in these little vignettes on the couch?
I understand Kan, Kibe and Fujimoto, but cameramen aren't usually considered in that authoritative of a position.

Clearly, I'm not complaining, I just wondered if there was something to it besides Abe potentially beating the crap out of people if they didn't let him.