Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Sock Puppet posted:

I couldn't work that way personally. Why does the government insist that you work for free sometimes? It sounds like there is more to this. Do you have some kind of internal company system that supports you during these times? are there poor/hungry lawyers? is that a thing?

It's written into certain kinds of laws (social security disability is the most notable example), I'm not sure why. But no, I'm a solo, there's no support. Other firms might allow you to credit contingency fee time as billable hours, but that requires a nestegg that I don't have. And yes, there are plenty of poor hungry lawyers....check out the lawyers megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its not spec work but it is really badly worded so that it appears to be. Entrants are basically making unity store art assets. Not a bad way to earn money if the assets are universal enough.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
This is the third such contest for game artists I have seen recently. I've also seen contests placed by car manufacturers for vehicle modelling work and ad agencies for animations for their debt management clients.

Sock Puppet
May 21, 2001
Nap Ghost

Diplomaticus posted:

And yes, there are plenty of poor hungry lawyers....check out the lawyers megathread.

The TV has lied to me for all those years. From L.A. Law onwards. A lifetime of lies..

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Aliginge posted:

This is the third such contest for game artists I have seen recently. I've also seen contests placed by car manufacturers for vehicle modelling work and ad agencies for animations for their debt management clients.

Oh yeah, didn't Ford do something like that for CAD work on some concept car?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SynthOrange posted:

Its not spec work but it is really badly worded so that it appears to be. Entrants are basically making unity store art assets. Not a bad way to earn money if the assets are universal enough.
They'll be "generic post apoc" assets, because that's all inXile could possibly risk to this process. They're not going to let any of their key assets get made this way, this is how they're going to get their "crushed barrels" and "turret #26" variants.

... which is to say, yes, they'll be the kind of thing that would sell on the asset store. It isn't a bad deal for the artists already working in that space, though I remain a little skeptical of how much it could possibly pay.

I keep going back and forth on the idea of productizing a few of my solutions for asset store plugin sales. I may do it for my warped 2d world + AI systems, since as it stands, they're pretty unique in the space and allow for a whole other sort of side-scroller.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

As an artist, I would never work in that format. I would rather work on whatever I want to do to improve my portfolio and it would be time better spent.

Do you guys feel the same way about the dota 2 and tf2 contests? I have heared that the people who do win make lots of money because they get a royalty from their item sales. That doesn't seem like a bad deal.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Chernabog posted:

As an artist, I would never work in that format. I would rather work on whatever I want to do to improve my portfolio and it would be time better spent.
Same here. I'd rather make cool stuff like Gundams and poo poo that directly enhances my portfolio.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chernabog posted:

Do you guys feel the same way about the dota 2 and tf2 contests? I have heared that the people who do win make lots of money because they get a royalty from their item sales. That doesn't seem like a bad deal.

the dota2 and tf2 contests have significantly more creative flexibility and much better EV, as not only the winners get integrated, and the payment is tied directly to the success of the win, rather than a flat rate.

If Dota2/TF2 paid $200 per winner or something they would be just as offensively worthless.

The issue with spec work "contests" is that they're designed to produce higher quality assets for the cheapest price, at the expense of a whole lot of artists who don't know any better.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

So is this not working to make stuff from concept art?

Sock Puppet
May 21, 2001
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure how comparable they are. The Wasteland stuff is for an unfinished game, creating art that fits - leading to the potential glut of similar looking assets in the Unity store that Sigma referred to.

Tf2 and DOTA already exist, don't they. I just had a quick look at the DOTA info on Polycount and it seems to be pretty much 'make something cool that follows some guidelines we set and if it gets the vote, it'll be up for people to be able to purchase'. Same with Tf2 hats I think - people made all sorts of crazy stuff and if the players like it, it'll do well. The game is just a vehicle to show off your stuff (one with a big audience already). There doesn't seem to be any concept art involved.
This stuff would still be people taking a risk in the hopes of a payoff later, but I wouldn't class it in quite the same way. Also, given the difference in the potential size of the audience, the asset would keep on giving after it is made. People could be receiving cash from their work for years potentially. The same could be said of the Unity store, but I know which one I would take a shot with if I decided to work in this way

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Hmm, I put in an application with a company without waiting the "standard" 3 months since I last applied (different role) I'm definitely not being considered for anything else, but could that really effect my chances? Didn't really think about it at the time, just checked I didn't have anything outstanding.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shalinor posted:

They'll be "generic post apoc" assets, because that's all inXile could possibly risk to this process. They're not going to let any of their key assets get made this way, this is how they're going to get their "crushed barrels" and "turret #26" variants.

... which is to say, yes, they'll be the kind of thing that would sell on the asset store. It isn't a bad deal for the artists already working in that space, though I remain a little skeptical of how much it could possibly pay.

It's a form of passive income. Not a bad method to get a little extra on the side. That said, the main form I've encountered this in is in stock illustration. I did dabble a bit back when Turbosquid was doing the same kind of thing, but the pricing scale on there was all over the place and it's hard to get a gauge as to whats working and what's not. With illustration and stock photography, there's much more people talking about these kinds of revenue streams. http://www.illustrationinfo.com/tag/passive-income/

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Shalinor posted:

I keep going back and forth on the idea of productizing a few of my solutions for asset store plugin sales. I may do it for my warped 2d world + AI systems, since as it stands, they're pretty unique in the space and allow for a whole other sort of side-scroller.

I've a few friends doing a few grand a month from their decently popular asset store offerings. They built the stuff while they were making their own games, slapped a decently high pricetag on it and basically update it only when they update their own code. If it's clean and somewhat generic, there's not much downside in releasing it and hoping for a few sales.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

finally got time to finish my gundam :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9rLPXWtx5I

no time to get the high quality render pages done yet though. Curse moving house. :C

Not visible, the fine-detail decals.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 23, 2012

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

SynthOrange posted:

Alt answer: Have boobs hanging off your icon:

This is a hot tip, I must remember this!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Brackhar posted:

This is a hot tip, I must remember this!
Actually, it's a hot nip.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I'd like to formally propose that we call the span of time between Dec 22nd and Dec 31st - Gamedev Winter Hibernation.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe New Years Eve.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
NO. gently caress that. There is so much work to do. Stop taking vacation you fucks. I am so glad these lovely holidays are almost over.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Screw you man. :colbert: I never get the chance to play my games and work on my art stuff. Sucks I only have 2 hours before I have to sleep (cuz I get home at 8pm PST) and then wake up at 5am to catch the train, and then bus to the Presidio for LucasArts. I know you guys say get a car, but I"m on A QA contract. That and ya know, paying off student loans for my art school

(stupid I know)

I'm going to enjoy my break as much as I can. Besides I go back on this wednesday.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 31, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Hooray! Working on New Years day!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Hooray! Working on New Years day!
This dude knows what's up.

I have Far Cry 3 sitting upstairs, barely played, but where am I? Tweaking Unity prefabs for my level tiles. Woooooo.

EDIT: I am seriously digging how Jones is looking, though. Feeling like it actually looks, like, GOOD. Except for the pink firehouse. I really should finish that.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 31, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
At least you're doing something. I'm answering support tickets for people who got iOS devices for Christmas and don't know how mobile games work. :smith:

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I'm at work, too, off tomorrow. Taking the family up into the mountains to go sledding.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah went I meant by day off I mean working on pixel art and 3D modeling.

Hanging out with people? What is that? :v:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Trying to do some 3d modelling myself. Trying to model a woodlouse and it's driving me insane.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Life/work balance needs to be drastically improved, but all of you chumps taking a holiday off? gently caress you! :P

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

As a lurker of this thread I want to thank you guys for enduring terrible working conditions and working through the holidays so I can play video games. :cool:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

As a lurker of this thread I want to thank you guys for enduring terrible working conditions and working through the holidays so I can play video games. :cool:
INTRUDER! KILL THE INFIDEL!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Shalinor posted:

INTRUDER! KILL THE INFIDEL!

Reads like a typical 69 cent iOS app title. :downsrim:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

mutata posted:

Life/work balance needs to be drastically improved, but all of you chumps taking a holiday off? gently caress you! :P

I'm in the middle of a two week vacation :cool:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
We just had January 1st as paid holiday but I get a full week off for the Vietnamese Tet (new year) in February. :cool:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Hibernation crew reporting in :cool:
I'm going to head back earlier this year because in the last 4 years I've never literally had 4+ days off in a row at my own apartment, anything more than 4 days i will head somewhere else for a holiday

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Maybe someone in here has opinions on off-the-shelf analytics packages for mobile games!

We no longer have a team of analysts and engineers to put together sweet custom tools, so I'm looking around at various 3rd-party solutions.

Does anyone have a package they sing the praises of? I appreciate functionality (custom queries, strong segmentation abilities, real-time-ness, etc) over pretty graphs and buzzword-compliance. After looking around at the current offerings (MixPanel, Flurry, Localytics, Apsalar, Countly), they all come up short in one way or another, so now I'm looking for the lesser of the evils.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

devilmouse posted:

Does anyone have a package they sing the praises of? I appreciate functionality (custom queries, strong segmentation abilities, real-time-ness, etc) over pretty graphs and buzzword-compliance. After looking around at the current offerings (MixPanel, Flurry, Localytics, Apsalar, Countly), they all come up short in one way or another, so now I'm looking for the lesser of the evils.
I went Flurry, because it has a free version that covers all the major analytical needs. Localytics is semi-free, but locks some stuff (like session-related metrics) behind a pay wall.

The biggest issue I have with Flurry is that, while I can set up an all-time funnel, I can't set up a per-session funnel. So, for instance, I can figure out which people have EVER gotten to level 6, or have EVER bought an IAP, but I can't easily drill down to see the behaviors of a user in the specific play sessions that got them to level 6.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Fishbus posted:

I'm going to head back earlier this year because in the last 4 years I've never literally had 4+ days off in a row at my own apartment, anything more than 4 days i will head somewhere else for a holiday

U giv RAD soldiers codes yes?

I've already spent £15. :negative:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Monster w21 Faces posted:

U giv RAD soldiers codes yes?

I've already spent £15. :negative:

Went on holiday the day it was released worldwide, hopefully I'll be able to scope out some stuff and things when I get back :cool:

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

devilmouse posted:

Maybe someone in here has opinions on off-the-shelf analytics packages for mobile games!

We no longer have a team of analysts and engineers to put together sweet custom tools, so I'm looking around at various 3rd-party solutions.

After looking at Flurry and a few others, we ended up just buckling down and writing our own basic stats engine and viewer, but that may not be possible with your limited manpower right now.

Flurry in particular drove us crazy for reasons Shalinor has detailed; namely that you are extremely limited in what you can pull out of their DB. We got way more mileage out of rolling our own as far as granularity goes.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

icking fudiot posted:

Flurry in particular drove us crazy for reasons Shalinor has detailed; namely that you are extremely limited in what you can pull out of their DB. We got way more mileage out of rolling our own as far as granularity goes.
I'd kind of assumed you could mine the DB yourself, if you took the time... but you can't even do that? Yeach.

Anyways, Flurry is perfectly acceptable for what I'm using it for - simple event tracking for gameplay balancing and the like, basically. It's a good choice for most indies, as a result. I would NOT recommend it as the metrics system for a F2P subscription game, or anything you want to aggressively monetize toward that end of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Fishbus posted:

I've been off since the Wednesday before Christmas and I don't go back till Monday, I'm going stir crazy.

I opened hammer last night to do something and futzed around to no avail :(