Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

I played for a few hours today and I agree completely. The lack of challenge really brings the game down. I liked the introduction scene in the slave camp and I was expecting to start the game with a low level of ability due to the protagonists lack of experience, but as soon as he gets the magic tattoo he is the golden god of firearms able to operate anything with an absurd mastery. Where does the game go from here if I am so powerful at the beginning?
And there is no reason to fear the army of armed pirates as they all seem to be either short sighted or massively incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

The AI was modeled after a retarded child who was obsessed with thrown rocks.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I find it difficult to believe that the Rakyat are great hunters when every predator and half of the prey species on this island have evidently learned to charge directly at the source of any gunfire they hear instead of fleeing in terror.

Watching a pissed-off cassowary murder a jeep full of Rakyat armed with AK-47s also makes me doubt their supposed hunting prowess. :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Surely that's why one of their self morale boosting quotes ends in a question.

"Who's the man?!...Me??"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Trisk posted:

The worst part is that Far Cry 1 had better AI.

az
Dec 2, 2005

The AI in FC1 shot through a mile of bushes if you pissed it off though.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Morter posted:

Surely that's why one of their self morale boosting quotes ends in a question.

"Who's the man?!...Me??"

That's part of their tactic. Wait until you completely clear an outpost then wander in there like "that's right! You'd better run!"

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Sometimes if I clear an outpost without unleashing any caged animals onsite, I like to jump onto the cage, shoot the front, and test the Rakyat warriors. Normally they all die unless it's dingos or a cassowary, though.

Serves them right for talking about how they cleared the outpost all on their own :v:

Also it's fun to bean people or animals in the head with rocks :3:

EDIT: Ok, I have to share this story. I planted 6 mines and 3 C4 on the front of a cargo truck. While driving on the road with it, a loving hawk or something swoops down and triggers the mine.

Dodecalypse fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 1, 2013

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man, I'm glad I picked this up in the Steam sale. Just did the weed-burning mission, which was a barrel of laughs. The end was the best bit - the boat starts pulling away as you reach it, but there's a rocket launcher there for you. I was already holding C4, though. Throwing it safely onto the back of the boat and waiting until it got to a decent distance before blowing it up was maybe the James Bondest thing I ever did in a videogame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Trisk posted:

I dunno, the enemies in this game are really good at flanking and investigating positions if they get the least inkling of where you're at. If not, yeah, they walk around bumping heads off one another.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So you guys are telling me you don't instantly turn around whenever you hear the slightest noise and investigate thoroughly before moving on? Good luck with bears.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I 100%'d Red Dead Redemption and watched a Skyrim bear stick its head down a dragon's open, fire-belching mouth only to waddle away afterwards. Rook Island wildlife ain't got poo poo.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Not my work, but by a very cool guy who also used my FC2 tools for modding and has continued with FC3 shenanigans (RaZoR-FIN). Note there's still much work to be done on this, don't expect anything soon.

Posted on UPlay forums.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

The worst part is that Far Cry 1 had better AI.

Not really. They were more frustrating than good. Not saying that the AI in this game is particularly intelligent, either.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
So I've just gotten the game, still in the tutorial part, just activated the first radio tower.

When watching a video on youtube, I saw a thing where a mission objective was to kill "the Golden Tiger". I'm all for seeing pirates getting eaten by tigers, and for having to run away from an angry tiger, but I really don't like the idea of hunting one.

I have the digital deluxe edition, which comes with all the pre-order DLCs, and reading exactly what that contains... yeah it seems one of them is a mission to kill 5 super-rare dangerous animals. I'm guessing that's the mission in question. Guess I'm going to be avoiding that mission and missing out on whatever the reward is, cause there's no way I'm going to hunt a tiger. Are there any tiger-hunting missions in the normal game? Or is that the only one. Tigers are beautiful, awesome and terrifying all at the same time and very endangered, so the game giving you missions to hunt them seems all kinds of wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqXomRi1oE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

your evil twin posted:

So I've just gotten the game, still in the tutorial part, just activated the first radio tower.

When watching a video on youtube, I saw a thing where a mission objective was to kill "the Golden Tiger". I'm all for seeing pirates getting eaten by tigers, and for having to run away from an angry tiger, but I really don't like the idea of hunting one.

Trust me, you're not going to have a choice, because tigers have no qualms about hunting you.

Seriously, it's a video game animal located on an island in an undefined part of the Pacific, lighten up.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Oh I'm sure I'll have to kill a tiger. Hell I'll probably have to kill 10 of them. Kill or be killed. I was just pretty surprised they have a mission GO KILL A TIGER. What do you get for it?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

your evil twin posted:

I have the digital deluxe edition, which comes with all the pre-order DLCs, and reading exactly what that contains... yeah it seems one of them is a mission to kill 5 super-rare dangerous animals. I'm guessing that's the mission in question. Guess I'm going to be avoiding that mission and missing out on whatever the reward is, cause there's no way I'm going to hunt a tiger. Are there any tiger-hunting missions in the normal game? Or is that the only one. Tigers are beautiful, awesome and terrifying all at the same time and very endangered, so the game giving you missions to hunt them seems all kinds of wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqXomRi1oE

God drat, dude. It's a video game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

your evil twin posted:

Oh I'm sure I'll have to kill a tiger. Hell I'll probably have to kill 10 of them. Kill or be killed. I was just pretty surprised they have a mission GO KILL A TIGER. What do you get for it?

Unique animals pop up on hunt missions and they all drop crafting components needed for the final tiers of quivers, wallets, rucksacks, etc. The Golden Tiger's one of the first you can hunt, I personally haven't killed any other uniques yet.

And you will be killing many more than 10 tigers. You know how you can tell this is a video game? Because tigers are as far from endangered as you can get in Far Cry 3. I've watched a tiger maul people to death from a safe distance only to get flanked and attacked by another tiger. I have been Clever Girl'd by tigers.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

your evil twin posted:

Tigers are beautiful, awesome and terrifying all at the same time and very endangered, so the game giving you missions to hunt them seems all kinds of wrong.

Tigers in this game are not endangered in any way; there is literally an infinite supply of them.

Also, I'm not sure whether it's amusing or disturbing that you are really bothered by the notion of hunting virtual tigers in a video game but apparently have no qualms about murdering scores of virtual human beings in the same game. :raise:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

your evil twin posted:

I was just like you when I bought the game. I watched some gameplay of the animals being shot and killed and told myself, "Gross, I don't want to do that. I'll shoot one or two just to craft whatever I need but after that I'll just leave the wildlife alone."

Trust me, 30 minutes into the game you will eagerly be gunning down any and all wildlife you come across and gleefully plunging your knife into the still warm corpses. These video game animals are not the beautiful and majestic exotic wildlife of the real world, they are the piece of poo poo leave-me-the-gently caress-alone will-try-to-kill-you-no-matter-how-much-you-try-to-avoid-them wildlife that you will want to kill in the cruelest ways you can think up. Even the dogs sneak up behind you and try to rip your arms off.

My preferred method of killing tigers is with landmines. I kill sharks by ramming them with jetskis. I purposely wait for dogs to get close so I can stab them to death, just out of spite.

Animals in this game are equivalent to cops in the GTA series.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bilal posted:

Animals in this game are equivalent to cops in the GTA series.

Especially the loving cassowaries. God drat loving velociraptor birds.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Bilal posted:

I kill sharks by ramming them with jetskis.

Glad to see I'm not the only person doing this. Other notable ways of killing animals:

-rammed a jetski into a dog trying to swim out to me
-blew up a couple of sharks with c4
-killed a chicken with an RPG
-ran into a deer going 60mph
-ran over a komodo dragon
-burned a giant tortoise alive with the flamethrower

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna kill a manta ray. I've no reason to kill one other than because I want to.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

az posted:

The AI in FC1 shot through a mile of bushes if you pissed it off though.
I think the AI in FC1 adjusted its difficulty according to your performance, ie if you kept dying it would slowly become dumber and lamer until you could win, and if you had a great kill streak they would suddenly gain psychic Jedi marksmanship powers. Add to the fact that there was no regenerating health and medkits/armor were few and far between.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, I'm not very far in (just met Citra) but the storytelling is kind of garbage. I still really enjoy the story missions though because they're great scripted sequences, and I like all of the characters to varying degrees except for the PC himself (although that seems intentional).

Yeah, the protagonist and his dipshit friends are just about as unlikable as can be. The best characters I came across were Vaas, Bud, Willis, and Sam. Willis barely gets screen time, but Sam is awesome. Vaas is a letdown only because the way they told the story is lovely. Bud is both an rear end in a top hat and strangely likable.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Aside from the fact that you have to perform rescues with like zero help from them, the two girls I've saved so far don't seem all that bad.

Oxxidation posted:

I dunno, the enemies in this game are really good at flanking and investigating positions if they get the least inkling of where you're at. If not, yeah, they walk around bumping heads off one another.

I've entirely stopped using sniper rifles for anything but hunting animals, because it just makes taking camps way too easy. Stealth around, then eventually get caught and flip the switch to rock n' roll.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

Aside from the fact that you have to perform rescues with like zero help from them, the two girls I've saved so far don't seem all that bad.

I've entirely stopped using sniper rifles for anything but hunting animals, because it just makes taking camps way too easy. Stealth around, then eventually get caught and flip the switch to rock n' roll.

Something addictive about sniping though, I always carry one but try not to use it all the time.

It's fun to lay mines or C4 in an area and then set fires with the flare gun to herd them to it.
:supaburn:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Sleekly posted:

Something addictive about sniping though, I always carry one but try not to use it all the time.

It's fun to lay mines or C4 in an area and then set fires with the flare gun to herd them to it.
:supaburn:

I can't seem to make use of C4 or any of the special weapons unless I'm forced to. It's just so much easier playing peakaboo with a sniper or AK.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I have a shotgun for upclose and personal, a silenced assault rifle with small scope for medium targets, and an UNsilenced sniper rifle with the biggest scope. 4th slot normally is bow, and the knife slot is the Tanto. That thing loving owns.

Even on a non takedown, it one hit kills normal pirates, and a quick sprint dash into the face of a heavy, 2 or 3 slashes and he's down.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I've been trying to keep shotguns relevant but now I'll get to free up a slot since I can take down a bear with 6 magnum rounds :clint:

Edit: I don't think I'd ever do anything as silly as put (not-night) sights on a shotgun that wasn't shooting slugs. That's just a personal choice :colbert:

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 1, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I think the Signature shotgun (The bull?) can one shot bears.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ak Gara posted:

I think the Signature shotgun (The bull?) can one shot bears.

Two shot actually. I keep it around as much as possible for that reason and Heavies.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's one shot if you hit them directly in the head at close range.

Wait until you see the whites of their eyes.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

The Spas 12 eclipses it once unlocked though; an auto shotty with a tighter spread, longer range and the ability to mount your choice of sights instead of being saddled with that ridiculous diamond reticule makes it sooo much better :colbert:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The SPAS 12 is one of the most hilariously broken weapons in the game. It's ridiculous.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
If you're not hip firing a pump shotgun, you're not using a shotgun right. :colbert:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I thought the game was really easy in the beginning too,but later on you get Molotov guys. You realize how fragile you are when you can't hide in cover,though I always forget to buy body armor so maybe that's it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Molotov guys are really fun to shoot once in the chest and watch as they run around setting everything on fire right up to the point you realize that they choose to run straight towards you and give you a hug. While on fire.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm liking the mod pack linked in the OP, but I noticed upon installing it I can't spend skill points. Only options I got is "view tattoo" and "View tutorial".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I recorded some random stuff happening in FC3 and figured this would be as good a place as any to link it.

This video involves a tiger and was made with a lovely encoder so the quality blows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2OlVxoYW8Q

This is a video about a Leopard corpse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdwkc3FBROI

Here's how co-op works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65zq_C6Tw7E

Here's why physics in games involving cars and sniper rifles owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ars3Pgt2CA

I love this game

• Locked thread