Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I decided to get into Gunpla while I was overseas, and bought two kits to start off: an old HG RX-78 to cut my teeth on and the RG Zeta Gundam because I always liked that machine. The former went very smoothly, and though I ended up breaking the hyper launcher I finished in about two hours. The latter took three days of effort to assemble, and when I was finally done and tried to transform it (a ridiculously arcane process, incidentally), the left leg fell off. I put it back on immediately, but now it's loose. :shepicide:

I think I'm going to stick with High Grades. Much less frustrating, and even if they can't do many poses at least the assembly is fun. Cheaper too.

To be fair, you kinda set yourself up for disaster. RG kits are not for beginners, and RG Zeta is almost laughably bad due to it being the first transforming RG kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Honestly, the assembly was pretty smooth. Once I figured out that the designers intended for you to totally remove any trace of the sprues (ask me about breaking the forehead jewel because I didn't notice that there was still a bit of a sprue preventing one of the head plates from sliding in :suicide:), everything was just dandy except for the god damned backpack. It's when I tried to transform it that the whole thing just fell apart.

Literally; there's pretty much no good place to grip the thing, so every time I tried to push something in on the back, one of the skirt parts fell off.

EDIT: I also bought three more HGs. Anyone have any comments on the HG Nu Gundam (not sure which version of it), Exia Repair II, and Unicorn Destroy Mode?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 30, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: I also bought three more HGs. Anyone have any comments on the HG Nu Gundam (not sure which version of it), Exia Repair II, and Unicorn Destroy Mode?

Exia Repair II and Unicorn Destory Mode are both great kits. Nu Gundam is an older kit and uses annoying yellow stickers for the fin funnels, but it's still good.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Try an MG as well. Ask before you buy with MGs though, because they WILDLY vary in quality.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I dunno, I kind of want to keep all the kits I buy at the same size (1/144). Is there a MG of a Psycho Gundam or some other already gigantic thing? That might fit well with everything else being smaller.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I dunno, I kind of want to keep all the kits I buy at the same size (1/144). Is there a MG of a Psycho Gundam or some other already gigantic thing? That might fit well with everything else being smaller.

There is a HG 1/144 kit of the Psycho Gundam, which would obviously fit to scale with your current kits. There is also the HG GP03 Dendrobium, but i'm pretty sure that is FAR out of your price range.

Edit: For size comparison purposes

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

You could always get one of those 1/48 mega size kits. It should tower over your smaller kits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Popehoist posted:

Try an MG as well. Ask before you buy with MGs though, because they WILDLY vary in quality.

The same for some of the older HG's as well. If you want an example, go through my posts in the thread for my comparison of the HG and RG Freedom's.

Oh, and I put my HG Seravee GNHB/W (thank you whoever it was that mentioned this existed. MORE GUNS! :black101:) and Seraphim over christmas. They came out looking pretty drat good together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BlitzBlast posted:

Just keep the different scales separate, man. Get an MG, they're way more fun than HGs. I suggest the RX-79 and Ez8 MG's, those were my first aside from the original RX-78 and Zaku kits(HORRIBLE :negative:) and still among my favorites, even after building dozens of Gunpla.

And when you're sick of Gundams, there's always the Kotobukiya line to drain your wallet with. I enjoyed assembling some of the Super Robot Wars stuff far more than the Gundam stuff, and the R-1 1/100 kit is INCREDIBLE. The Aussenseiter kit is probably my favorite Gunpla kit to assemble ever. It's just an absolute joy to put together, has outstanding articulation, and comes with rubber wheels, yay!

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
My personal favourite MG of all time is the Strike Noir. Comes with special hands for both swords, for holding guns, for shooting the grappling hooks, and just some standard movey fingers hands. Flexible wrists, and one of (IMO) the most agreeable backpacks in SEED. And of course it's built on the Strike E, which is based on the Strike, which is one of the nicest Gundam designs ever.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I got the HG Hi-Nu Gundam for Christmas, and I know it's gotten some flack for being a UC Gundam with wings, but I don't care. It's beautiful to me, and probably one of my favorite Gundams now. Building it and seeing it from every angle really helped me appreciate it more. I even put all the sticker decals on it, and with most of the kits I build I usually just stick with the eyes.

I might want to branch out and do some non-UC HG kits. I'm thinking something from 00 since that's my favorite non-UC timeline (besides Turn-A), but some of SEED's mobile suit designs are pretty interesting. Are there any good SEED HG kits? At all? I've heard that the HG SEED kits can be pretty abysmal, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the headaches of an RG kit again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

I might want to branch out and do some non-UC HG kits. I'm thinking something from 00 since that's my favorite non-UC timeline (besides Turn-A), but some of SEED's mobile suit designs are pretty interesting. Are there any good SEED HG kits? At all? I've heard that the HG SEED kits can be pretty abysmal, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the headaches of an RG kit again.

SEED, 00, and AGE kits benefit from being relatively recent (the latter two especially). I can tell you from personal experience that the HG Freedom has some really bad proportions. The M1 Astray (R16 in the SEED HD series released this year) wasn't part of the initial series and while it likely shares some parts with the earlier Astray kits, it has a better chance of not being terrible.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
HG Seed kits mostly all suffer from poor proportions and mediocre articulation. You'd be better off going for HG 00 kits cause that's when Bandai's HG kits started getting really good. The HG AGE kits are really good as well if you care about any MS's from that series.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Just keep the different scales separate, man.

Well it's more that I don't think I really have the space on my desk for a bunch of 1/100 models.

TaurusOxford posted:

Exia Repair II and Unicorn Destroy Mode are both great kits. Nu Gundam is an older kit and uses annoying yellow stickers for the fin funnels, but it's still good.

That's good to hear, thanks.

I don't suppose they ever made an Exia Repair II Seven Swords kit? I saw a bunch of variants for the 00 nearby where I picked up the thing, but it looked like there wasn't any for the Exia II.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Well it's more that I don't think I really have the space on my desk for a bunch of 1/100 models.

That's good to hear, thanks.

I don't suppose they ever made an Exia Repair II Seven Swords kit? I saw a bunch of variants for the 00 nearby where I picked up the thing, but it looked like there wasn't any for the Exia II.

I think the only Exia variants you get from Bandai are the Avalanche Exia and the Astrea/Astrea Type F if you count those.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Haven't had a chance to start my Turn A yet, as I've been lagging on finishing Epyon to a horrific degree. To put this in perspective; Epyon was my christmas present last year.

However, I have cracked the box open, and I was immediately greeted by a single tiny sprue neatly placed on top of the others, with absolutely nothing on it except the infamous moustache.

:allears:

Considering how much rage the kit inspired on release, I have a hard time believing that wasn't deliberate.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought you were going to say it was Loran's cow.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I somehow missed the brouhaha over the MG Turn A, but the amount of rage being generated by the HG Rozen-Zulu's less-than-accurate color molding has been nothing short of phenomenal. I have seen the word "debacle" used, along with that old favorite "slap in the face," and the hills are alive with the sounds of crying, crying, and more crying from legions of spoiled infants who are apparently too delicate to buy and use a can of loving spray paint.

Gunpla fans really suck. I have no idea how this thread stays so chill, but I'm grateful for it.

In other news, I've been building the HG AGE-FX. It is basically an early-2000s era MG, only smaller and better. I'm diggin' it so far.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

I somehow missed the brouhaha over the MG Turn A, but the amount of rage being generated by the HG Rozen-Zulu's less-than-accurate color molding has been nothing short of phenomenal. I have seen the word "debacle" used, along with that old favorite "slap in the face," and the hills are alive with the sounds of crying, crying, and more crying from legions of spoiled infants who are apparently too delicate to buy and use a can of loving spray paint.

To be fair, it's not unreasonable to expect Bandai to mold their kits in the proper colors, especially when it's a model from one of their most successful series. That said, the overreaction is ridiculous although I find the 40+ stickers needed for the kit more offensive than the wrong colored plastic.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

Gunpla fans really suck. I have no idea how this thread stays so chill, but I'm grateful for it.

I think it's because the ones of us who want color-accuracy but can't be assed to paint things ourselves just buy the toys. Seriously, I know Bandai molds these in particular colors and gives you sticker sheets for detialing, but it's still a model kit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Best part is all the hopeless fartsniffers who angrily denounce Bandai for perceived "laziness" when they themselves can't be arsed to make the very simple effort required to correct the issue. The irony is so thick you could spread it on toast.

I'm wondering why they didn't just mold the thing in the same colors as Sauper's Geara-Zulu – would still be inaccurate but maybe not as evidently and offensively so to the overly entitled pants-making GBS threads brigade who, again, have been SCREAMING about this on various corners of the net since the final runners were unveiled. You'd think that Bandai, instead of making a large, nice-looking model kit with some cool extras, had instead pinched off a fat steaming loaf, boxed it, and forced unwitting consumers to buy it at gunpoint. It's WEIRD, man.

You guys would never do that, of course. You guys are cool.

(edit: this is a terrible and really embarrassing post that I regret making, but I'll leave it in place as a cautionary example)

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 2, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

To be fair, it's not unreasonable to expect Bandai to mold their kits in the proper colors, especially when it's a model from one of their most successful series. That said, the overreaction is ridiculous although I find the 40+ stickers needed for the kit more offensive than the wrong colored plastic.

There's a limit to how much color accuracy you can mold into a HG though, and the Rozen Zulu is a pretty busy design. If it were an MG or RG I could maybe understand it a bit better but come on, you get what you pay for.

And then you paint it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Amazon's top 31 best-selling Gunpla of 2012.

Some interesting poo poo here: Nu ver.Ka one of the year's top sellers despite being out for less than a month. SEED MGs pretty popular, RG Justice less so. Zaku Mariner hits but Anksha bombs. And people really loves them some Base Jabbers I guess!

Also, an 8-year-old recolored Marasai apparently outsold every single AGE release by a sizable margin. Ha loving ha.

edit: seriously, that's 22 HG kits and 5 MGs, all of which were outsold by the fuckin' JuAcg. Awesum job, guyz!

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 31, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

Amazon's top 31 best-selling Gunpla of 2012.

Some interesting poo poo here: [b]Nu ver.Ka[b]one of the year's top sellers despite being out for less than a month.

That's hardly a shock considering the popularity of CCA, Nu Gundam, and Amuro Ray. That's not even mentioning the prior MG being kinda underwhelming.

quote:

Also, an 8-year-old recolored Marasai apparently outsold every single AGE release by a sizable margin. Ha loving ha.

I've bought one AGE MG, and almost regret it. The Age-2 Normal is such a loose kit for being little more than a Wing Gundam-level transformer.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

TaurusOxford posted:

To be fair, it's not unreasonable to expect Bandai to mold their kits in the proper colors, especially when it's a model from one of their most successful series.
Half their red mobile suits end up with pink model kits somehow, enough said :colbert:

Bimmi posted:

I somehow missed the brouhaha over the MG Turn A, but the amount of rage being generated by the HG Rozen-Zulu's less-than-accurate color molding has been nothing short of phenomenal.
:stare: That's an... interesting color scheme. Why does it have pink legs on a maroon body, exactly?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

U.T. Raptor posted:

:stare: That's an... interesting color scheme. Why does it have pink legs on a maroon body, exactly?

Why does it have high heels?! God, this is Other M Zero Suit Samus all over again...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why does it have high heels?! God, this is Other M Zero Suit Samus all over again...

Char's zaku is pretty pink in the animation but its supposed to be red. The RG kit is not quite red either. They could have made it red if they wanted. They have a proven track record of not making it color accurate if its not blue, black or white.
I wont defend the heels

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 1, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

U.T. Raptor posted:

Because the pilot is probably gay and Sunrise has all the tact of a burning bag of poo poo sailing through the window of a lesbian's apartment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Char's zaku is pretty pink in the animation but its supposed to be red. The RG kit is not quite red either. They could have made it red if they wanted. They have a proven track record of not making it color accurate if its not blue, black or white.
I wont defend the heels

Johnny Ridden seems to have the lock on the deeper red mobile suits. More Char than Char?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Fauxtool posted:

I wont defend the heels

Oh no no no, I'm totally cool with the pink. I actually like the Rosen's color scheme, whether it's accurate or not. My salmon MG Char's Zaku and baby blue MG Gouf Custom sat proudly beside my computer. Lost the Gouf's saber though so hes out of commission for a while though :(

The heels are just loving retarded.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh no no no, I'm totally cool with the pink. I actually like the Rosen's color scheme, whether it's accurate or not. My salmon MG Char's Zaku and baby blue MG Gouf Custom sat proudly beside my computer. Lost the Gouf's saber though so hes out of commission for a while though :(

The heels are just loving retarded.

It has little funnel weapons that look like roses, too. I like to think someone in the sleeves just gave him the most offensively gay robot as a practical joke.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you are gay so everything about you must be gay.
Japan!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
and we were doing so well SIGH.

Anyway I finished snapping out the HG AGE-FX and found it a hoot. I'd never built a 1/144 kit of the recent vintage (00 and onward) but am really impressed by the high level of design that goes into these things nowadays. Very satisfying build (not least because I feel that it's the one genuinely cool thing that AGE produced) but taken on its own, it's still a great Gundam kit.

It's so petite, too! I love how small it feels. If Bandai can do something this size, with this level of sophistication for this price point, then warez my F90 2.0 fuckers?

I cleaned up all the parts as I went along. Someday I will write a very long post about sanding, knifework and general parts cleanup which no one will read or remember. Until then, I'll just put in my yearly plug for the best Gunpla nippers money can buy, because all you idiots should have at least one pair of them by now.

So I wanna do another one! You choose it this time:

• HGUC Juaggu (UC ver.)
• HGAC Gundam X
• HGUC Gundam ZZ
• HGUC Gabthley
• MG Epyon ver.EW
• MG Deathscythe Hell EW
• MG 00 Raiser

Note how the Juaggu is the newest one. Kit of the Year 2012 if you ask me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'd choose MG Epyon personally, but you can't go wrong with any of those MGs.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have a raging boner for the gundam X and I want a MG off it so I vote for HGAC Gundam X

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

I'll accept your challenge on the nippers since I've been meaning to get one of these seam scrapers forever as well.

Also I vote on the Gabthley because: grunts (also I have a Juaggu).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
You want hilarious color issues, the blue parts of my HGAC HGAW Gundam X are a glowing, toxic turquoise for some reason. Certainly not blue as we generally know it.

edit: mistook one lovely alt continuity* for another. Also wish I'd held out for the GX-DV as it is the superior design.

*which reminds me that I've also got a Wing ver.Ka sitting around, kind of tempted to build THAT.**

** I drank WHAT?!?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 1, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

You want hilarious color issues, the blue parts of my HGAC Gundam X are a glowing, toxic turquoise for some reason. Certainly not blue as we generally know it.

I've noticed that too, as well as the red almost having an orange tint to it. For some reason HGAW X Divider has the proper colors however.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Well! It's been a long time since I've gotten thoroughly juiced and decided to build a model – an experience I have NO plans to repeat, incidentally – but now that sobriety's set in, a few final thoughts on my AGE-FX adventure:

First, I cannot believe how GOOD these kits have become. The next-most-recent HG I've built is the Guncannon D from 2004 (!) and the AGE-FX is just on a completely different level. The thing is packed so full of sophisticated, clever design and deft engineering that I'm basically in awe of it. Of the very few kits I've built over the last ten years, I'd say it's easily the best.

I only have one real complaint about this model, but it's a gooder: namely that the head flat-out refuses to stay attached to the body in any meaningful way. A harsh glance is enough to make the goddamn thing pop right off, and I'm just waiting for one of the V-fins to snap and ruin my loving day. Pretty sure it's a design flaw and not some stupid mistake I made, but whatever the cause it is genuinely Not Cool.

Beyond that, I can't really fault it for anything beyond "being from AGE." If anything, this kit is TOO good.

See, I used to think I was real hot snot at building these things. Older kits were a lot more forgiving of stuff like sprue and seam cleanup – parts were fewer, larger and not nearly as well-molded – so it was more difficult to gently caress things up. But from where I sit now, it's pretty easy. These kits are so precisely sculpted and molded nowadays that if you so much as touch sandpaper to plastic you're ruining the poo poo out of the part. I want to say I had nothing but fun doing this build, but the truth is it was so fraught with narrowly averted disaster and tricky cleanup issues that it left me feeling pretty stressed out. There is basically no margin for error anymore, and it's a little exhausting.

I've also got to note that I don't even have anyplace to display this thing (I prefer my living quarters to not look like a loving anime showroom and there's only so much display space to be had) and that this will be the case for whatever I might choose to build in the future, which makes me question whether I really want to expend any more of my time and treasure on model kits. I mean, I still love 'em, the product is GREAT now and the hobby is in a really good place, but personally... I think I may be done? Yeah, I think I may be done. I'm getting kind of old, and I'm not sure there's room left in my life for Gundams anymore.

Good note to go out on, though, if I do indeed go out. And even if I do quit I'll probably pick up a thing in 5 or 10 years just to see what crazy new poo poo Bandai's come up with. There are definitely worse ways to spend 20 bucks!

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
If you're that impressed by a modern HG, you really do owe it to yourself to pick up a RG at some point before giving up the nippers for good.

• Locked thread