Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Ohahahaha I'd forgotten the Beachfront Properteeeeee and the counting down from 1.

I'm pretty impressed by how good these old shows are, thinking I might listen through em all again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I forgot how great Chelsea's laugh after her Martha Plimpton joke is. Best laugh of 2012.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

I forgot how great Chelsea's laugh after her Martha Plimpton joke is. Best laugh of 2012.

I also love the slight hesitation Harris gives before calling the 8 year old the mother...and then plowing ahead completely. And Chelsea's insistence that he use the take-back and his complete refusal. So loving funny.

That being said, Clones and Oliver Stones not making the top ten is a travesty and everyone who didn't vote for it should sit in a corner and think about what they've done.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Don't worry Weird Al, I voted for you :smith:

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Farts and Proc 2 was so disappointing. I'm surprised it finished so high in the countdown. Absolutely loved the one that came first though. I must have listened to that episode upwards of 3 times!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Farts & Pro 2 paled in comparison to the original, but it's still a pretty strong installment on its own merits. I wouldn't rank it as #2, but it's definitely in my top ten. It gave us Harris Wittels saying "You gotta keep it fresh to death in the after-after" and that's gotta be worth something.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm still amazed Series Regulars crept in at number 10. How on earth does that not crack the top 3.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
"He said that Martha Plimpton hanged out with you, but she didn't really like you"

I can't stop laughing along with Chelsea every time I hear that part. Every time.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm still amazed Series Regulars crept in at number 10. How on earth does that not crack the top 3.

"Hand me that scooper."

I'm also amazed that episode just made the cut. Kroll and Mulaney take "Yes, and" to such extremes here, it's almost tiring to keep up. Even when one of them tries a joke that doesn't quite land, the other runs with it and 30 seconds later they're on an entirely new topic of conversation.

"See, we were smoking PCP...before we knew there could be problems."

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Beeez posted:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I like every PFT character, but it seems like he does Cake Boss, the worst one, most while doing the best ones, Ice-T and Werner Herzog, very little.

I disagree. The Ice-T character has no depth and is just a lisp. His product ideas are stupid and too obvious to be funny. It's like he takes them from rejected Foam Corner ideas. Cake Boss (cake boss) is one of my favorite characters. He has the gift of the second sight for chrissakes! He can take that anywhere!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That's non-canonical, isn't it?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

traveling midget posted:

That's non-canonical, isn't it?

No, I'm pretty sure that's just the cake lycanthropy. He's had the second sight since he was introduced, as far as I know.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He claimed to be an immortal cake-god but he had just taken a bunch of meth.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

If there's a character he doesn't do enough, it's John C. Reilly. Also his most accurate impression.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm getting tired of PFT's characters. The best CBB PFT moments for me in year(s) have been the best ofs where he's just being himself. Him and Scott have such a great rapport that I could easily listen to 2 hours of just them chatting.

The last time I remember finding one of PFT's characters above averagely funny was the ep with Gillian Jacobs and Garry Marshall.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I still like his characters a lot, but I agree it'd be good if he showed up as himself more often. He and Scott are so great together.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You're crazy. I think a lot of PFT shines through in each of his characters. I don't remember the two most recent of his appearances (though Herzog is always good in my book and he was on last), but that could be due to the supporting cast. Put Tompkins with a good accompanying guest (instead of a dull one who doesn't get it) and his eps are always great.

NotWearingPants posted:

I disagree. The Ice-T character has no depth and is just a lisp. His product ideas are stupid and too obvious to be funny. It's like he takes them from rejected Foam Corner ideas. Cake Boss (cake boss) is one of my favorite characters. He has the gift of the second sight for chrissakes! He can take that anywhere!

Listen to the one with Greg Proops, Adomian, and PFT doing Ice-T.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
If you want to listen to Paul F. Tompkins being Paul F. Tompkins you can listen to literally every other podcast.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I wish Paul would bring his preposterously offensive Juice Bar Guy character to CBB, it's his best character ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZqdg7k01lE

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Al! posted:

I wish Paul would bring his preposterously offensive Juice Bar Guy character to CBB, it's his best character ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZqdg7k01lE

Juice Bar Guy is basically God's gift to the world and probably the reason for the invention of podcasts to begin with.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I want PFT back on the Todd Glass Show as a regular show guest SO BAD. I don't even care if he does Juice Bar Guy (although I have no doubt Todd will make him), he's just simply the best guest for Todd Glass. He's the Todd whisperer.

Also, I just saw Garry Marshall on Louie. I had no idea that's who that was, but as soon as I saw the name I realize the voice should've been a giveaway.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
There's no wrong way to enjoy PFT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhU4NSg01wo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I listened to the Juice Genie bit again last night when I posted that and still laughed. Then I listened to it yet again just now and still laughed. I would listen to Todd Glass all the drat time if he could get PFT more often.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

If we're linking PFT musical selections: http://youtu.be/X28OeoOCZCM (unfortunately no video with this one)

"You blew it. That's on you. Talk to some people at the club"

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Speaking of wanting to hear underused characters, I miss Huell Howser. Seems kind of weird that one of the more famous CBB characters doesn't get used often. Although it doesn't matter much because any James Adomian character ends up being gold.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

NienNunb posted:

Speaking of wanting to hear underused characters, I miss Huell Howser. Seems kind of weird that one of the more famous CBB characters doesn't get used often. Although it doesn't matter much because any James Adomian character ends up being gold.

I'd like to hear more Jesse Ventura, Lil Gary and maybe some Bob Ducca

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I got sick of Jesse Ventura, especially once Adomian started doing Gary Busey which is basically the same character but less intense and with a tedious acronym obsession.

Would love to see Huell, Li'l Gary and/or Bob Ducca return, though.

And I know there's whatever history/bad blood, but man... I'd kill for another Cyberthug takeover.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

NienNunb posted:

I think you mean any James Adomian character ends up being just another part of...CALIFORNIA'S GOLD.

I'm guessing that a lot of the characters get cycled out when the performers don't feel like they're doing anything new, to keep them from growing stale for the audience as well as themselves. In the case of Lil' Gary, though, I imagine it's 95% because Thomas Lennon doesn't like doing that voice. High pitched and scratchy? It must be hell on the throat.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

Ice-T isn't just the product ideas, there's also the whole thing about him being a big film and TV nerd.

epitasis posted:

If there's a character he doesn't do enough, it's John C. Reilly. Also his most accurate impression.

True, I didn't mention that because I actually had forgotten he used to do John C. Reilly.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The thing that weirds me out about his John C Reilly is that John C Reilly is the kind of person who would just be on CBB anyway, when I first heard a clip of him with Jon Hamm I thought it really was Reilly.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

piratepilates posted:

The thing that weirds me out about his John C Reilly is that John C Reilly is the kind of person who would just be on CBB anyway, when I first heard a clip of him with Jon Hamm I thought it really was Reilly.
Yeah, but the kind of person who'd do CBB is the kind of person who'd enjoy a good-spirited impression of them. Adomian does Tompkins and Todd Glass and whatnot.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've heard Adomian's Todd Glass, but I've never heard his PFT. Is it available to be heard in podcast form somewhere?

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
It's at the very end of one of the CBBs. I think it's the "Best Of" with Adomian PFT and Reggie, if you haven't heard the bit I don't want to ruin it but Scott's egging on really makes it wonderfully absurd.

Edit: hmm yeah I'm having a hard time finding it too. It's an episode with PFT and Adomian in it for sure.

Vv Adomian does it there too. The one I'm thinking of is where Huell visits the Large Hadron Collider. vV

Urk! fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 6, 2013

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think you might be thinking of his episode of Who Charted; I think Adomian did a bunch of impressions of comedians at the end of that?

e: if conduit for sale! is willing to brave ~5 minutes of Howard Kremer, that section at least is worth listening to

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I've heard Adomian's Todd Glass, but I've never heard his PFT. Is it available to be heard in podcast form somewhere?

I'm pretty sure he did it when he was on who charted. Probably the best episode of who charted too, although I haven't listened in a while.

e: Guess that confirms it :v:

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

plastered quack posted:

It's at the very end of one of the CBBs. I think it's the "Best Of" with Adomian PFT and Reggie, if you haven't heard the bit I don't want to ruin it but Scott's egging on really makes it wonderfully absurd.

Edit: hmm yeah I'm having a hard time finding it too. It's an episode with PFT and Adomian in it for sure.

Vv Adomian does it there too. The one I'm thinking of is where Huell visits the Large Hadron Collider. vV

You're right, it's near the end of 103, the Second Anniversary show.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

plastered quack posted:

The one I'm thinking of is where Huell visits the Large Hadron Collider. vV

Oh yeah, that. I think it was the 2nd anniversary show.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
The glorious return of Ben Schwartz on the podcast makes my mp3 player tingle with glee.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ben Schwartz repeatedly dropping "two straight-men" killed me every time.

#2straight-men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Well... Just heard on the radio. R.I.P. Huell Howser.

I was lucky enough to have him film an episode at my house and street right after the 1994 earthquake. He was delighted to discover what pupusas were in his own special way. He was a good dude.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 12, 2013