Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ursine Asylum posted:

I do enjoy the mechanic in theory, since it basically resulted in you being able to "stack" weapons with no weight penalty if you had a high enough repair skill. My only complaint with the base game is the lack of sniper rifles-- after finding the one in poo poo condition from the guy in Landmine and squealing like a little girl, I proceeded to keep using the hunting rifles for sniping for the next 80% of the game just because I could never find more snipers to repair it with. :(

And that's why New Vegas is the superior game. Jury Rigging is the best perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Actually never mind, this discussion is better suited to Games.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 17, 2012

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Haledjian posted:

I wanted to do that in Skyrim but I read somewhere that items in public barrels can randomly disappear pretty frequently, and so I became paranoid.

It's not random at all, though. Every map has a respawn timer except for certain ones, like player houses. The house of your chosen Riverwood buddy also never respawns, and neither does the cellar in the old woman's shack nearby or the empty house after the Molag Bal quest is over. There are a bunch of other safe storages, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. The internet should be able to tell you.

Oblivion works the same way.

I think in Morrowind everything is safe.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Lizard Wizard posted:

Maybe sometimes you just can't have all the items and all the gold.

B-but video games...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'll have you know that I singlehandedly ran Whiterun's broom economy into the ground over the course of a week, running the top 1% of rich broommakers out of business and providing free brooms for all from my broom warehouse in the Underforge :colbert:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ursine Asylum posted:

That and all the merchants have like 20 repair skill until you invest a fuckton of caps into the travelling ones. So the best you could do was half a dungeon of enemies before the stupid thing broke again anyways.

I think Moria has a pretty decent repair skill, and I remember looting a sniper rifle from the Rivet city gun-store.I'm pretty paranoid with the rifles and magnums so I guess I didn't break them as much since I saved them for emergencies, and used hunting rifles/That plasma rifle from that Rivet city quest as my sniping stuff.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And that's why New Vegas is the superior game. Jury Rigging is the best perk.

It definitely is. It's the only way to get both versions of the cyber dog gun without having to use one to repair the other. Can't say it was better in all accounts though (loading screens in New Vegas are murder, especially that one where you have to help those Love-Birds out of town, that I can't skip because I have to be the best goodest person ever) but Honest Hearts and Old World Blues were probably my favorite of all Fallout Add-Ons though I haven't played the Pitt save for the intro (I really got to stop modding and actually finish Oblivion first :().

Lizard Wizard posted:

Bitches don't know bout my console commands - And then in Honest Hearts the game just decides to just drop all the unique weapons/armor that Npcs' own at the end in a tiny box.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'll have you know that I singlehandedly ran Whiterun's broom economy into the ground over the course of a week, running the top 1% of rich broommakers out of business and providing free brooms for all from my broom warehouse in the Underforge :colbert:

Clearly what needs to be rectified in the Elder Scrolls games is the player's lack of economic power.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

idonotlikepeas posted:

Probably the best way of handling inventory in this sort of game would be to have a way of automatically selling things you don't need, with the six trips back to base camp to drop them off taken as read. That way the game can retain a limit on active items, without needlessly encumbering players who just want a few extra gold coins to buy spells with.

They could do it like Torchlight, where you can just give your stuff to your pet to sell in town for you and come back with the money.

Unfortunately in Prequel, Katia is pretty much the "pet" and welp

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I check out the MSPA thread from time to time, mostly to submit commands so I can't complain about having no control over the story, and while most of the discussion and such in there isn't worth bringing up, here's a bit of magic that happened recently. (rehosted because imageshack)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Every town square should have a statue of Freddie Mercury.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Lizard Wizard posted:

Clearly what needs to be rectified in the Elder Scrolls games is the player's lack of economic power.

I remember when they were making Skyrim and Todd boasted that the player would have a REAL IMPACT on the economy of places they shopped at.

(he meant they were going back to the Morrowind system where merchants had limited money per day).

Cthulhuchan posted:

Got a bit too fancy for your own pants, eh? A shame it didn't work out. Do you think it was an issue of the technique not translating to what you wanted to do, or just a lack of familiarity with it?

Probably a bit of both. A lot of times animators have time-saving techniques they swear by, but when I actually see footage of them working I'm outright shocked by how long it takes them. I guess I'm always looking for a silver bullet that doesn't exist, though I've tried enough animation software that I definitely have opinions about what that silver bullet would entail (and nobody has made it yet! :emo:)

The animations I went with were done very quickly using Anime Studio (a version probably badly outdated by now). The animations were simple so I didn't make a skeleton or anything for them, just tweened the points manually. A lot of people liked it, so I'm probably going to look into, like, updating my AS to a version that doesn't suck and maybe making some proper skeletal models for the next time Katia has to do something more complicated than wiggle her arm.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kazerad posted:

I remember when they were making Skyrim and Todd boasted that the player would have a REAL IMPACT on the economy of places they shopped at.

(he meant they were going back to the Morrowind system where merchants had limited money per day).

This is why I don't bother listening to anything that the TES devs say about their AI or their world. I remember having them boast about the radiant AI that one NPC killed another for a rake to complete a task, and it turns out that was utter bullshit.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

Volmarias posted:

This is why I don't bother listening to anything that the TES devs say about their AI or their world. I remember having them boast about the radiant AI that one NPC killed another for a rake to complete a task, and it turns out that was utter bullshit.

I thought that Radiant AI actually did do all that stuff, but they ended up having to take most of it out because they couldn't figure out a way to stop all the townsfolk from stealing each others stuff and having fights to the death over it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Madoushi posted:

I thought that Radiant AI actually did do all that stuff, but they ended up having to take most of it out because they couldn't figure out a way to stop all the townsfolk from stealing each others stuff and having fights to the death over it.

That's exactly it, but they still talked about it. If you tout something then pull it because it doesn't actually work, then screw you.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
This discussion reminds me of something I saw on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEd1D-KD5xc

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Volmarias posted:

That's exactly it, but they still talked about it. If you tout something then pull it because it doesn't actually work, then screw you.

Wasn't there that one unmarked little town in Oblivion where they let the radiant AI just run unchecked?

Admittedly it might have been added by one of a dozen mods because hey who even plays un-modded Oblivion?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Admittedly it might have been added by one of a dozen mods because hey who even plays un-modded Oblivion?

Console players :smug:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

:golfclap: Bravo, sir.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

What's the point of even owning it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Achievements.

I ended up buying Fallout 3 - 3 times:
-The game.
-The game and add-on edition.
-The Steam version. So I could mod it.

Achievements mean nothing too mods. :negative:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

What's the point of even owning it.

:thejoke:

But yeah, that always has floored me w/r/t sandbox games, and Bethesda "QA? What QA?" in patricular. From things as simple (and almost required) as the Unofficial Patches up to things like Nehrim (and that's not even mentioning the quest-modifying console commands to get past game-breaking issues), I literally don't get why people buy those games for consoles.

I mean, just look at Skyrim and the major questgiver whose audio is bugged. The first time you meet him he talks to you from behind a door for a good 2 minutes, and he's got a decent chance to bug out and prevent the questline from continuing to boot. I can't imagine spending $60 on a game that I might have to randomly start over in the hopes that maybe the critpath blocker doesn't show up 20 hours into the game this time.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Wasn't there that one unmarked little town in Oblivion where they let the radiant AI just run unchecked?

This sounds pretty amazing, but my googling is turning up nothing useful.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I could do a test if you'd like, though I'm not sure what the radiant AI is exactly but Google seems to think its the daily schedule routines and the spontaneous violent outbursts that usually get important Npcs killed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

scarycave posted:

I could do a test if you'd like, though I'm not sure what the radiant AI is exactly but Google seems to think its the daily schedule routines and the spontaneous violent outbursts that usually get important Npcs killed.

It's quite all right. Please don't play Oblivion. :shobon:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's quite all right. Please don't play Oblivion. :shobon:

I enjoyed Oblivion quite a lot. Never played any other elder scrolls games.

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person in the world who liked the game, by the tone discussions take online. Which is a bit odd, considering.

(Kaz, save us from this derail, upload a new comic)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

I enjoyed Oblivion quite a lot. Never played any other elder scrolls games.

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person in the world who liked the game, by the tone discussions take online. Which is a bit odd, considering.

(Kaz, save us from this derail, upload a new comic)

It's just a severe letdown compared to that which came immediately before and after.

The moral of the story is, go play.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

On its own, Oblivion is a good game. The problem is that there are glaring differences which a lot of people felt were for the worse. It was obviously designed for consoles (though skyrim is even worse with this), features were removed, and the world felt more constrained even if it was technically larger. Large promises were made and then blatantly broken (Radiant AI is the best example here). The leveling was broken which made every fight exactly the same. Patrick Stewart is billed as a voice actor, then gets like 2 minutes before he's killed off.

If you haven't played it, by all means do so, but it won't capture the same feeling that Morrowind had.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ursine Asylum posted:

:thejoke:

But yeah, that always has floored me w/r/t sandbox games, and Bethesda "QA? What QA?" in patricular. From things as simple (and almost required) as the Unofficial Patches up to things like Nehrim (and that's not even mentioning the quest-modifying console commands to get past game-breaking issues), I literally don't get why people buy those games for consoles.

I mean, just look at Skyrim and the major questgiver whose audio is bugged. The first time you meet him he talks to you from behind a door for a good 2 minutes, and he's got a decent chance to bug out and prevent the questline from continuing to boot. I can't imagine spending $60 on a game that I might have to randomly start over in the hopes that maybe the critpath blocker doesn't show up 20 hours into the game this time.

They probably don't know about it or their computer can't handle it at all.
90% of the people I had conversations with them about games like Fallout and Oblivion had the console version.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Stumbled over Prequel via this thread while skimming BSS, unable to sleep, a few days ago... and ended up reading through the entire thing over the last few evenings. Something about it grabs me in a way that Homestuck didn't (though maybe I should give that another look). I love the contrast between the increasingly adorable character design and animation and poor Katia's rather dismal everything-that-can-go-wrong-and-several-things-that-shouldn't-be-able-to-go-wrong-will existence, where every little triumph makes you brace yourself for the inevitable disaster that follows.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

New update, and the return of that guy

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Not much to say about this one. For a comic who's update pace makes glaciers seem fast and exciting, an entire entry of filler feels pretty pointless.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I've always wondered what's supposed to be on the Kvatch plate, it kind of looks like a fox/dog head.
Seeing how easily she's detected by that guy shows she needs some sneak training as well, and should crouch-walk 24/7. That way if she gets hammered again, nobody will notice.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Amusingly, while punching "kvatch emblem" into images.google.com does bring up some stuff that looks like screenshots / game art, the same search brings up quite a bit of Prequel fanart as well. Looks like maybe a wolf to me.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I have to say that this was a nice reference to either the possible PC nature of Katia or the fact that books rarely exceed dozen pages.

Kaz missed a chance long time ago to put a reference on how Katia can only sleep in whole hours, never taking a few minutes catnap.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I think we shouldn't push to much PC behavior on Katia, we've all had that blood lust before where we killed an entire town just for fun.
Take this video I made for the CAD thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQiqCZMhdDg
If Katia ended up going on a rampage I think the end result would be the same, though that would be a fitting end to this comic, having her snap. Hopefully well get some more updates soon and the comic discussion will kick up again. I'm on pins and needles waiting to see how this is going to end badly. :ohdear:

Iced Cocoa posted:

I have to say that this was a nice reference to either the possible PC nature of Katia or the fact that books rarely exceed dozen pages.
Kaz missed a chance long time ago to put a reference on how Katia can only sleep in whole hours, never taking a few minutes catnap.

I'd love to see a joke about waiting 12 hours in a public place or that according to some wiki article that female Khajiits are one of the worst characters to build, that reminds me I wanted to ask this before, but has Katia ever considered joining the thieves guild?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

scarycave posted:

I wanted to ask this before, but has Katia ever considered joining the thieves guild?

I don't think Katia would even entertain the notion. She wants to turn her life around, not thieve.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

scarycave posted:

I wanted to ask this before, but has Katia ever considered joining the thieves guild?

Racist.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Racials. :colbert:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Welp. Seeing that this thread is going to page 2. Would you mind if I ask questions - I have terrible memory? I haven't read the whole story so far - I left after a certain part for awhile and came back when Katia got robbed blind by that mage-guild chick (who she could rob back if she had some training *wink* *wink*). Is that necromancer with all the cats legit dead? I remembered he got stabbed by that Orc. If he is dead whats going to happen to those poor cats? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

scarycave posted:

Is that necromancer with all the cats legit dead? I remembered he got stabbed by that Orc. If he is dead whats going to happen to those poor cats? :ohdear:
Yes, he is quite dead.
And I'm guessing that the kitties will be fine: it's not like they don't have a decent supply of food, and the undead one doesn't even need to eat (or sleep, or breathe).

• Locked thread