Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
Was the old App completely re-written or along those lines? I'm posting from a searched app as the old one wasn't available to update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

SierraNovember posted:

Was the old App completely re-written or along those lines? I'm posting from a searched app as the old one wasn't available to update?
As outlined by Pokeyman earlier, the App Store doesn't let you "pass along" an app to another developer, so it makes a lot more sense to have a new app with Pokeyman as the developer rather than OHIO (as I recall?) getting pestered to submit the new app or whatever.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Yes, but if people think it's only happening to them there's no reason they'd think to do that. Surely?
If we're getting into that train of thought, surely you would want to check the thread first to see if it's a common problem? Much better than "post post post".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Allan Assiduity posted:

If we're getting into that train of thought, surely you would want to check the thread first to see if it's a common problem? Much better than "post post post".

But as stated, the app isn't displaying those recent posts where people are bringing up the bug in the first place. For me, it looked like the most recent post was Dec 24th or so. I posted my bug report, and lo, a bunch of interim posts suddenly appeared, making me look like a jackass who can't read.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't even get the old posts in mine, I get the ad banner and no posts at all. I checked with the android app on my phone and got exactly the same result so I used a real browser and found omg everything has changed and the breadcrumbs suck balls.

I learned a long time ago to not post without being able to read the thread.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Cryptic Edge posted:

I don't even get the old posts in mine, I get the ad banner and no posts at all.

Are you using the old app? Because that's the behavior I got when I tested out the old app just now.

It seems like this redesign has killed off the original versions of Awful once and for all on both Android and iOS.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
I am having the same issue on both the iPad and iPhone.

Just starting today whenever I open a thread it says it is only 1 page long and then won't refresh or go to the last unread post.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fix is awaiting approval.

Edit: can that just be added to the topic?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I don't understand, I haven't had a single issue with the app and the new forums. Either way, we have an awesome dev on top of it.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

pokeyman posted:

Submitted version 1.9.2 which fixes the problems with the new forum design.

I asked for an expedited review, as the app is next to useless in its current state. If all goes well we might have the update out this week.

If anyone's curious, the change that caused us grief is the new page number pulldown menu on thread pages. For what it's worth, there are some simple things we should be doing that would leave Awful in a much more usable state than it is now. Those things are on the list.

I pulled down the code from Github and pushed it to my phone, but I'm still having the page problem. XCode is reporting that I'm screwing with v1.10. I'm relatively new to Git having been a MS guy for 18 years. Any suggestions other than "wait for the app store version"?

Edit: Works now. I fail at reading and Git. Thanks to the developers for fixing this so drat quickly!

Tarq fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 1, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you did a git clone, it will be the latest version. Maybe someone didn't update the version in xcode? :iiam:

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

xzzy posted:

If you did a git clone, it will be the latest version. Maybe someone didn't update the version in xcode? :iiam:

Turns out I'm retarded and can't read.

1.9.2 is the fixed version. I cloned the git repo which by default was giving me 1.10 (which apparently doesn't have the fix). Turns out the Mac GUI client doesn't do tagging very well.

I used the command line git to checkout the 1.9.2 version and volla, it workie!

TFS is awesome but makes you lazy and stupid.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Is 1.9.2 not actually on the app store in iTunes yet? How soon will it be up?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Thunderfinger posted:

Is 1.9.2 not actually on the app store in iTunes yet? How soon will it be up?

When Apple approves it.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I've been using and appreciating this app on my phone for a while, so first, thanks for all the work, goon coders! That being said, I got an iPad for Christmas this year and have a small bug to report... I can't go back to any previous pages to make sure it hasn't been reported. I made a post in another thread a bit ago, and ever since, I can only access the page I'm brought to (e.g. First page of unvisited thread, bookmarked page on visited). As shown in the picture, the option to go to other pages is gone. I've never seen this before. I tried rebooting the app, but it didn't change. The rest of the app is functioning as intended. This is on a 4th gen iPad, iOS 6.0.1.

Once more, thanks for the app. It's helped me blow many hours away waiting for the bus, classes, and what have you.

Edit: Oh! Now that those posts have appeared, I feel dumb. Bugs are crazy. Sorry for repetitive/useless post.

broken pixel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 1, 2013

mewse
May 2, 2006

:ughh:

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I am using Awful S Maxx on a 4th Gen iPod Touch v. 6.01 which worked great for me until the forums change. Like other posters, the app behaves as normal besides the slight problem of not loading any thread content (loads a single page with a banner ad and no posts).

I thought Maxx was the current, supported app and having found this thread it seems I was wrong. I see changes are coming and so the best solution would be to wait for Apple to push through Awful 1.9.2?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

mistressminako posted:

I thought Maxx was the current, supported app and having found this thread it seems I was wrong. I see changes are coming and so the best solution would be to wait for Apple to push through Awful 1.9.2?
Yes, that's correct. You could download 1.9.1 (the current version) so you know when the update's been released, but it obviously won't work until then.

The Dave posted:

Fix is awaiting approval.

Edit: can that just be added to the topic?
That would probably be helpful! Maybe something like "1.9.2 (forum fix) awaiting approval"?

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Allan Assiduity posted:

Yes, that's correct. You could download 1.9.1 (the current version) so you know when the update's been released, but it obviously won't work until then.
I appreciate the information and will do just that. Thanks to everyone who jumped on fixing the app after the forums update.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

mistressminako posted:

I appreciate the information and will do just that. Thanks to everyone who jumped on fixing the app after the forums update.

Yeah this can't be emphasised enough. Pushing out an update so quickly (regardless of how long Apple take to sort it) is really impressive.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Good to know I'm not the only one who can only see one page of a megathread on my iPhone from the app. This is my go-to app when I'm bored.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

There was an update like...an hour after the forums broke. Pokeyman is the man for real.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
is there an update coming to the android version? posting from my browser.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Deep Winter posted:

Probably.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I second updating the thread title so people know they don't need to report the bug.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Deep Winter posted:

Here's a link to the android app thread. There's no affiliation between the two apps.

Edit: (At least I don't think there is)

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
iPhone iOS 6.0.1, Awful 1.9.1

I've been having some weird behavior when selecting a thread in the Bookmarks pane since I upgraded to 1.9.1. Instead of loading only the unread posts it loads practically the entire thread, and I have to scroll waaay down o the bottom to see new posts. It doesn't happen every time, and the problem has persisted through a force quit, logging in/out and an app reinstall.

Edit: oh hey a forums update and a bunch of posts that didn't load for me stating the exact same problem! Never mind, I love you pokeyman! Keep up the great work!

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 2, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Here's a link to the android app thread. There's no affiliation between the two apps.

Edit: (At least I don't think there is)

There's mutual love and understanding but no shared development or developers.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Thank you for pushing out an update so fast Pokeyman, especially considering it is during a holiday.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

serebralassazin posted:

Thank you for pushing out an update so fast Pokeyman, especially considering it is during a holiday.

Seconding. Glad to know the issue isn't me or my phone.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Yeah thanks guys. I saw the redesign of the site and knew it would effect the app. But you guys are awesome.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Does Apple approve updates on a regular schedule or are they wildly inconsistent? (I'm going to assume the latter) I mean, can we expect the update to go through in the next few days or a maybe week or is it just who knows? Posting from the browser is hard and I'm spoiled now. Oh well, it's better than the time my 3G fought with SA's login for months.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Al! posted:

Does Apple approve updates on a regular schedule or are they wildly inconsistent? (I'm going to assume the latter) I mean, can we expect the update to go through in the next few days or a maybe week or is it just who knows? Posting from the browser is hard and I'm spoiled now. Oh well, it's better than the time my 3G fought with SA's login for months.

It takes about a week on average to get an update through, but there's no guarantees so it really is a "who knows?" kind of thing. My understanding is that they only spend a very short amount of time actually reviewing each app, and most of that week is just the wait time for them to get to you. There is a mechanism to request an expedited review, and Pokeyman requested one for this case, but again there are no guarantees.

I'd be surprised if it's not out by early next week, but hopefully it will be much sooner.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
You can get some idea of the review times here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am actually really surprised that with the redesign, they didn't put any effort into making a native mobile version. I mean, it seems like the thing to do these days.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

It takes about a week on average to get an update through, but there's no guarantees so it really is a "who knows?" kind of thing. My understanding is that they only spend a very short amount of time actually reviewing each app, and most of that week is just the wait time for them to get to you. There is a mechanism to request an expedited review, and Pokeyman requested one for this case, but again there are no guarantees.

I'd be surprised if it's not out by early next week, but hopefully it will be much sooner.

Plus they shutdown for Christmas, between 12/21/12 and 12/28/12 no apps are reviewed. It probably takes them some time to catch up with the backlog.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

I am actually really surprised that with the redesign, they didn't put any effort into making a native mobile version. I mean, it seems like the thing to do these days.

Well the "redesign" was really just CSS/Image changes, nothing substantial, so it's not that surprising. Sort of putting lipstick on a pig... not the greatest shade of lipstick either.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is anyone else getting this weird glitch?

I'm on the current version, using iPhone 4S.

The app now only loads 1 page of a thread, regardless of which thread it is. If I'm reading it for the first time, it loads only the first page and I can't go forward to any other pages.

If it's a thread I've bookmarked it loads only one page from whatever the last unread post is. In the corner, it even says 1 of 1 and there's no way to jump pages even if its a 100 page thread.

This just started happening recently, prior to a few days ago the app worked fine.

EDIT:

Here's a photo example, using this thread

I can't tell if its literally only loading 1 page or if its putting every single post from a thread on one page. Either way.

I know it's not a setting I messed with in the browser version of the forums because I only read from my phone.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 2, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Blast Fantasto posted:

The app now only loads 1 page of a thread, regardless of which thread it is. If I'm reading it for the first time, it loads only the first page and I can't go forward to any other pages.

If it's a thread I've bookmarked it loads only one page from whatever the last unread post is. In the corner, it even says 1 of 1 and there's no way to jump pages even if its a 100 page thread.

This just started happening recently, prior to a few days ago the app worked fine.
Open the thread in Safari, there's an update for the app awaiting approval that fixes this. The glitch has prevented people from seeing that other people have also posted about it! Apparently it's come about from the recent forums update.

edit: The fact that you only browse from your phone is why didn't notice! :) Over the Christmas break I did almost all my browsing on my iPad so I was confused too until I gave the regular forums page a go on my PC.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

No, looks like you're the first person. Doesn't look like it's going to ever get fixed, either. Shame, this was such a good app.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If nothing else, this glitch reveals how many people read the forums using only this app and never ever visit the site in a web browser.

• Locked thread