Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Colonel J posted:

I started learning some Veil of Maya (the track is Mark my Words) and it's my first foray into deathcore. The fast triplets on the low string are killing my forearm and elbow, and lots of times they're not even right as the pick gets "stuck" on the string and I can't complete them.

What are those called, and what's the right way to practice them? Start slow and speed up with a metronome I guess, but what's the best way not to get tendinitis?

Just wondering, what picks are you using? Are you only playing that low string or are you playing the full power chord? How good are you at playing sustained, fast, alternate picked palm mutes?

Just by guessing, I think you're likely moving your pick too much when it doesn't need to go that far back and forth. Also are you moving your elbow to palm mute? That's kinda weird, your wrist and fingers should be doing a lot of the leg work and your elbow shouldn't be moving much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Moogs posted:

So I'm at the point where I can pretty accurately pick out notes on the guitar based on what I'm hearing. I'm working on soloing (blues scale, minor pentatonic, etc.) but I'm not really sure where to go from here. Just keep at it?

Also, what's a good way to learn about chord progressions? I can generally tell what key a song is in, but I don't know where the chords go from there.

You could try following Justinguitar's lesson plan, it's nice to have something structured to follow and build on what you've already learned. It's probably worth learning the CAGED system too (Justin has a section for this), and learn your fretboard. Studybass has a nice exercise for learning that, along with the circle of 5ths/4ths (which will come in handy) - obviously you'll need to fill in the other two strings yourself, but of course the top one is the same as the bottom!

For your chord progressions you want to read up on diatonic chords, musictheory.net will learn you a bunch and studybass is worth working through too - it's focused on bass but the basic theory applies to everything.

The short version is that for the key of C major, you have the major scale C D E F G A B, and that gives you the chords:

C major (C-E-G) or Cmaj7 (C-E-G-B)
D minor (D-F-A) or Dm7 (D-F-A-C)
E minor (E-G-B) or Em7 (E-G-B-D)
F major (F-A-C) or Fmaj7 (F-A-C-E)
G major (G-B-D) or G7 (G-B-D-F)
A minor (A-C-E) or Am7 (A-C-E-G)
B diminished (B-D-F) or B7b5 (B-D-F-A)

You're basically starting on a tone in the major scale, then hopping two over to get the next, then two again to stack the next... this pattern works no matter what major key you're in, you'll always get the same I ii iii IV V vi viidim chords based on the key (capitals for major, minuscule for minor). So you tend to get the same patterns in songs, like the V7 resolving to the I, or pop punk songs using I IV and V (so in C major, that's C F and G). The vi is called the relative minor, it's common to hop over to that to change the feel of the progression and give it a melancholy turn. Stuff like that, there are tricks to pick up. There are a bunch here.

Minor keys give you a different pattern of chords, if you read the theory links up there you'll find out what they are! You also might want to use this to train your ears:
http://www.iwasdoingallright.com/tools/ear_training/main/
Interval recognition is a good skill to work on (like saying yep that's a perfect 5th), and you can also try setting it to play a sequence of notes with a delay, and trying to repeat it yourself on the guitar

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Francostein posted:

Just wondering, what picks are you using? Are you only playing that low string or are you playing the full power chord? How good are you at playing sustained, fast, alternate picked palm mutes?

Just by guessing, I think you're likely moving your pick too much when it doesn't need to go that far back and forth. Also are you moving your elbow to palm mute? That's kinda weird, your wrist and fingers should be doing a lot of the leg work and your elbow shouldn't be moving much.

I'm using a Jazz III. I practiced more today and things are already better. It's a pretty subtle movement! My elbow doesn't move that much, it's more that I tend to stiffen it up to get that fast movement.

I think it's just going to be a question of taking it slowly. I love that sound though, and if anybody has suggestions of good songs to learn for that type of music I'm all ears. It seems that often those tracks are either way too easy or way too hard. It's the first time I play in drop B and I'm in love with the sound.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Colonel J posted:

I'm using a Jazz III. I practiced more today and things are already better. It's a pretty subtle movement! My elbow doesn't move that much, it's more that I tend to stiffen it up to get that fast movement.

I think it's just going to be a question of taking it slowly. I love that sound though, and if anybody has suggestions of good songs to learn for that type of music I'm all ears. It seems that often those tracks are either way too easy or way too hard. It's the first time I play in drop B and I'm in love with the sound.

Yup as I thought, just need to practice more. A good song in that tuning to learn would be At The Gates - Suicide Nation or The Duskfall - Cage Closed. Lots of fast triplets in those two and if you can match the duskfall then you're good to go.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Colonel J posted:

Got some of the carbon fiber jazz III picks; god drat they are nice and super grippy as all poo poo.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Francostein posted:

Yup as I thought, just need to practice more. A good song in that tuning to learn would be At The Gates - Suicide Nation or The Duskfall - Cage Closed. Lots of fast triplets in those two and if you can match the duskfall then you're good to go.

Plus At the Gates are just awesome. I've been working on Suicide Nation, Blinded by Fear and Cold when not drop-A'ing some Nile.

Also ATG are B Standard, not Drop B, which means you also get to play Carcass, Crowbar and Amon Amarth.

Also, speaking of picks, I'm using a Dava, it's got a nice flexible feel to its rubberised body but a solid picking edge, I really like it.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 31, 2012

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CitrusFrog posted:

Plus At the Gates are just awesome. I've been working on Suicide Nation, Blinded by Fear and Cold when not drop-A'ing some Nile.

Also ATG are B Standard, not Drop B, which means you also get to play Carcass, Crowbar and Amon Amarth.

I know, I may or may not be trying to subtly trick the guy into liking B standard over Drop B.

Also gently caress the solo for Cold, I've been meaning to learn it for years but just haven't felt like it for a while.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Francostein posted:

I know, I may or may not be trying to subtly trick the guy into liking B standard over Drop B.

Also gently caress the solo for Cold, I've been meaning to learn it for years but just haven't felt like it for a while.

The clean 4-6-8-0-0 4-6-8-0-0 etc bit that's also the basis for Flames of the End or the bit after?

And B standard is far superior, carry on ;)

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 31, 2012

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CitrusFrog posted:

The really fast trem-picked one with the unison bend or the clean 4-6-8-0-0 4-6-8-0-0 etc bit that's also the basis for Flames of the End?

And B standard is far superior, carry on ;)

The really fast one where the drums go into a double bass pattern.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Francostein posted:

The really fast one where the drums go into a double bass pattern.

That is a tasty solo, and you caught me before my ninja edit, haha.

I'm looking at the tab for that solo and listening to the track right now, oh yes, definitely a sexy bit of stringwork.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 31, 2012

bus stop
Jul 19, 2012
nah

Colonel J posted:

If you aren't picking from the wrist you really should be.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How do people like the black Ultex Jazz III 2mm's? I've tried a Big Stubby 3mm, Max-Grip nylon 1.5mm, and three different 1.38mm Jazz III's in red nylon, black stiffo and carbon fibre. None of which fit every situation for me.

I'm still just a beginner having bought my first guitar less than a month ago, playing through Rocksmith and a few Rob Chapman tutorial videos. I can get gold in the tremolo picking challenge using the Big Stubby but it gets sweaty after about 20 minutes playing and starts spinning. The rest are either too flexible or too small and I drop down to silver but they don't spin on longer tracks like the B.S. does.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 31, 2012

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I really want to try the 2mm Jazz III max-grips, but I can only find them online, and I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. The more picks I try, the more I know I like'em thick.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

bus stop posted:

If you aren't picking from the wrist you really should be.

Seconding this. You get much better control and you won't wear your arm out like you're :flashfap:

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I bought my first guitar ever yesterday, and tried playing the basic chords a little. My left arm/wrist got really sore/exhausted after just 10-15 minutes of me trying to get those chords right. Is this normal? I realize that these are probably muscles I've rarely used before, but I just want to know that I'm not doing something significantly wrong. I tried holding the neck with my thumb behind it, and only the tips of my finger touching the strings. The palm of my hand wasn't touching the guitar at all.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Completely normal! Your fingertips are going to hurt, too.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
Nevertheless you should always try to find an overall posture that allows you to relax as much as possible.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Warcabbit posted:

Completely normal! Your fingertips are going to hurt, too.

Eventually you will also figure out that tiny shifts in your hand position can make a big difference in how hard you have to squeeze to get the chords to sound right. It will come naturally over time if you just keep practicing so don't worry about it too much. If it starts to hurt just take a break for a little bit.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Anyone have experience with the book "Voice Leading For Guitar: Moving Through the Changes" by John Thomas (Berkless Press)?

I've owned it forever and am just now working through it page by page. The material is pretty familiar, but I can't tell if I'm stupid or if the author just presents it poorly.

Page 9, for example, is hanging me up: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...pl0PvfR5G0BGLeg (link to a google doc)

-It's just a bunch of diatonic drop 2 voicings, but above the list it says "The following are in the key of C", then immediately above the staves it says "Key of G". No key signatures.

-The first example is "Ionian Major 7" voicings, but the first chord appears to spell a G6, and the second is a rootless Gmaj9. Only half of the chords in the "Major 7" example actually contain a Major 7th.

-The second example is "Ionian 6", and includes 6/9 chords, and at the end a Gmaj7 with no 6th at all.

-It's not until the third example (Mixolydian) that the chords actually contain the notes indicated by the mode and harmony: they are all clearly G7 of some sort.

So am I missing something or can I blame this confusion on the book?

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 1, 2013

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

This is really helpful, thank you!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ hey no probs! Feel free to ask if there's anything you want to know in more detail, there's helpful people around here

CalvinDooglas posted:

So am I missing something or can I blame this confusion on the book?

I don't totally understand what's going on, but couldn't you read the chords like this?

E B D G (Em7)
F# B D A (Bm7)
G D F# B (Gmaj7)
B F# A D (Bm7)
D G B E (Em7)
D A B F# (Bm7)

So the key signature is C, but the actual key you're in is G, so you get the accidentals. The third chord is the tonic, and the others are the key of G diatonic chords you get through parallel movement either way. The third chord in the next set is G6, so I'm guessing it's the same principle? I'd work them out if I had time, but I read music l___i_k__e_______t__hi_________s

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

baka kaba posted:

So the key signature is C, but the actual key you're in is G, so you get the accidentals. The third chord is the tonic, and the others are the key of G diatonic chords you get through parallel movement either way. The third chord in the next set is G6, so I'm guessing it's the same principle? I'd work them out if I had time, but I read music l___i_k__e_______t__hi_________s

After going through them methodically, I determined that it's a combination of poor editing/presentation and unclear explanation in the book. It appears to be diatonic drop 2 voicings that are appropriate for a root of G in the given mode. If you assume a root of G, the chords in the first example become G6, Gmaj9, Gmaj7, repeat.

I think "The following examples are in the key of C" was attempting to convey that "No key signature is indicated because these voicings can appear in any key".

The trick was hum the root over each series of chords, which made the modal aspect more clear. Who'd have guessed using one's ears would help with music!

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
more string talk:

moved my Strat from D'Addario 10s over to DR Pure Blues. I feel dumb for sticking with D'Addario for so long now, probably going to move my other guitars over to the DRs as well.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does it matter what channel I use if I've got a stereo EQ and only need one channel?

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Been following this thread for quite a bit now. I guess I can share a story, and see what you guys think.

I was at my local goodwill, and in the electronics section was this offbrand no name guitar, after a quick inspection of the fretboard, action, and pickups, I bought it for $10. I think the strings might be hosed up, but they ring clear... As I've been playing, I notice sometimes the intonation is off, and sometimes it's on I've picked up a strobe tuner for Iphone which told me that my intonation is correct. Could the notes sounding off be an issue with finger placement/fretboard pressure? Is there something I'm forgetting? should I restring it with the new strings I have sitting on my desk?

I've played the guitar off and on for a few years, never really being serious, but since I'm in Afghanistan now, I figured the best time would be now, with all the free time I have.

I've been using Rocksmith to teach myself techniques and to "practice" playing some songs I like (this is a huge motivator for me to play what I know, especially 90's Grunge/alt)

I plan on using Justinguitar.com to cover more techniques, that I'm sure rocksmith will not cover. As for music theory, I just can't get it. I'm reading it, and reading it, and it's just not clicking. Where is the most basic "Alright 1st graders, let's learn music" that I can start with. I promise not to be offended!!

Cowboybot fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 3, 2013

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Cowboybot posted:

Been following this thread for quite a bit now. I guess I can share a story, and see what you guys think.

I was at my local goodwill, and in the electronics section was this offbrand no name guitar, after a quick inspection of the fretboard, action, and pickups, I bought it for $10. I think the strings might be hosed up, but they ring clear... As I've been playing, I notice sometimes the intonation is off, and sometimes it's on I've picked up a strobe tuner for Iphone which told me that my intonation is correct. Could the notes sounding off be an issue with finger placement/fretboard pressure? Is there something I'm forgetting? should I restring it with the new strings I have sitting on my desk?

Yes. Restring it. If you still have problems, is the intonation in and out at the same spot randomly, or are you having it be out at different spots on the fretboard? If you have uneven, or particularly worn frets in places, they'll intonate poorly, even if you're dead on, on the twelfth.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
The fretboard is in really really good condition. I'll have to check specifically on the frets themselves. The 1st E string gets stuck on the edges of frets sometimes, but thats it. I'll restring it this afternoon, and see how it sounds.

As for the Intonation, I've noticed on the 6th E string, I hit open it's great, 3rd fret Great, 5th fret it's either/or.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Holy poo poo why did I not start barre chords earlier?! Advice to everyone starting: Don't be an idiot like me and put off barre chords as long as you can. They're tricky but not as insanely hard as they seem to be at first. That and they sound cool as well as give you way more things to play with/along with.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

syntaxfunction posted:

Holy poo poo why did I not start barre chords earlier?! Advice to everyone starting: Don't be an idiot like me and put off barre chords as long as you can. They're tricky but not as insanely hard as they seem to be at first. That and they sound cool as well as give you way more things to play with/along with.

What's your practice routine on them? I've been putting it off for 6+ months now :(. I'm starting to get too good to not be able to play barre chords and it's shameful as poo poo.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

muike posted:

Does it matter what channel I use if I've got a stereo EQ and only need one channel?

Generally the guideline that I know goes "left channel is the Mono channel" but it may not matter for your particular EQ.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
http://www.jemsite.com/vrg/main.swf

Virtual RG Builder. Have fun.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Koth posted:

http://www.jemsite.com/vrg/main.swf

Virtual RG Builder. Have fun.

I didn't even succeed in building one as ugly as Steve Vai plays.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
That's a lofty feat to set for yourself.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

KingColliwog posted:

What's your practice routine on them? I've been putting it off for 6+ months now :(. I'm starting to get too good to not be able to play barre chords and it's shameful as poo poo.

Seconding this. I've been putting off barre chord practice in favor of learning wanky metal solos for far too long.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

My practice schedule is just the JustinGuitar schedule basically, with a few easy songs thrown in (Specifically Today by The Smashing Pumpkins and Lightning Crashes by Live). The reason I picked Today (Aside from liking the song) is its barres are around the middle of the neck which are a tonne easier than ones right up either end. It's more about just trying to play them any chance I get. Chord changes, practice each shape (E, Em and A/Asus2 mainly) and then try and roll them in to a song.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I'm sure this has been asked before, and if this is the case, please bear with me.

I'm just looking for some advice about some guitar modeling software. I am planning on picking up a Scarlett 2i2 soon, and would like to know what the consensus would be on either Amplitube 3 or Guitar Rig 5. Is there a clear winner, or is it super subjective?

I feel like this would be right up Agreed 's alley.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Holy poo poo, I changed the strings on my 10$ goodwill guitar, and mein gott in Himmel, it sounds so much better. The notes ring bright and true, and I don't have anymore intonation problems.
As I was taking off my old strings, I noticed just how crummy they were, all jacked up, wound too tight at some point, and just freakin old. I wonder why they got rid of the guitar in the first place.

So, now it's back to blaming myself for lovely notes, and dirty intros. Gotta keep up the practice.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Maybe a silly question, but is Rocksmith actually good for learning to play the guitar, or is it just fun and games?

Sjonkel fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 4, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My rhythm guitarist swears by it and my bassist just bought herself a copy. To be fair, we are a terrible garage band, but it does purport to contain instruction. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Sjonkel posted:

Maybe a silly question, but is Rocksmith actually good for learning to play the guitar, or is it just fun and games?

I like it, especially how you can just play along with the songs if you want.

ed

And yeah, it's probably a big help for the rhythm section.