Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SamBishop posted:

I'm being dead serious here: did you just make up a bunch of names? I literally have no clue as to who these people are. What the gently caress is a Chilli anyway? Male? Female? Sentient pepper?

She was the C in TLC (the R&B group, not the network).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
In those commercials, there's that one lady who says "I put the 'faux' in 'fashion!'"

What does that mean even? That makes no goddamn sense!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jamesman posted:

In those commercials, there's that one lady who says "I put the 'faux' in 'fashion!'"

Probably meant, "I put the faux in fashion faux pas!" but it either got cut out or she's an idiot.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Some woman on Sweet Genius just said 'my favorite color is leopard'.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red Warrior posted:

Some woman on Sweet Genius just said 'my favorite color is leopard'.

She also used "epic fail" in a sentence. I was so happy when she got kicked off. I watch alot of these lovely cooking shows and rarely have I been quite that irritated by a contestant.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I had the TV on in the background and Sandra Lee's Semi Homeade cooking was on. Her recipe for corn muffins was literally:
1. Follow instructions on the box.
2. Add chopped corn.
3. Bake.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

dude789 posted:

I had the TV on in the background and Sandra Lee's Semi Homeade cooking was on. Her recipe for corn muffins was literally:
2. Add chopped corn.
3. Bake.

If you think that's a bad thing, as opposed to a MASSIVE improvement to what she would normally do to food, you clearly don't watch her show enough. She does terrible things in her kitchen. Horrifying. Every episode is a wasteland of food atrocities that make absolutely zero sense. I've still not been able to move on from seeing her make chilli with two jars of spaghetti sauce, frozen chopped onions, and half a packet of chilli seasoning. Yes, HALF. She "saved" the other half for...something. God knows what.

Semi Homemade is the best comedy on TV, in my horrible opinion.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

dude789 posted:

2. Add chopped corn.
3. Bake.

I do that all the time when I'm being lazy about cornmuffins but I can't imagine giving that out as a recipe.

I thought the guy/rachael thing started while I was still on vacation. Phew.

And the synesthesia person on sweet genius last night annoyed the hell out of me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

And the synesthesia person on sweet genius last night annoyed the hell out of me

Yet she was still less annoying than the "sparkly" one.

In general on Sweet Genius I always find it hilarious how much trouble they seem to have making something within the theme. Like literally all they have to do is make something shapes like the theme or something but they always go like six degrees of separation to justify putting into a bowl. The synesthesia woman was even worse in regards to this because she didn't even make an attempt because she thought her disability made it not necessary.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 4, 2013

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Well, she won anyway, but I kept thinking that someone who has "trouble" visualizing it should just try for something really literal- like just making something that looks like ruby red slippers or something.

I can't believe how terribly they all blew that one. HEY DON'T SCREW UP THE OZ THEMED STUFF, BASTARDS

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I don't know if it was the same in the States, but before it premiered FN Canada portrayed Sweet Genius as a more serious show, and specifically Ben-Israel as some kind of hardass. (Or at least, that's what I remember.) Certainly they depicted it as having a lot more artifice than it does.

I ignored the show for a while because of it, but holy crap: Robert Ben-Israel is great. It's nice to see a judge for a competition show who isn't an rear end in a top hat (yup, Canadian) and he seems to have such a good time with everything, especially the inspirations he picks. I think my favourite moment was an episode I saw where he chose himself as the inspiration, including a beaming trip down the conveyor.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ChetReckless posted:

I don't know if it was the same in the States, but before it premiered FN Canada portrayed Sweet Genius as a more serious show, and specifically Ben-Israel as some kind of hardass. (Or at least, that's what I remember.) Certainly they depicted it as having a lot more artifice than it does.

I noticed that as well. The bumper commercial was basically a girl laughing about something, then it cut to a stone faced Ben-Isreal saying "You think this is funny?!" followed by a shot of the girl's face that looked like she was getting ready to be executed on the spot.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

axleblaze posted:

Yet she was still less annoying than the "sparkly" one.

The "sparkly" one talked like a stereotypical Valley girl circa mid-90s. I felt kind of embarrassed for her.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Omniphile posted:

The "sparkly" one talked like a stereotypical Valley girl circa mid-90s. I felt kind of embarrassed for her.

Yes my wife was rolling her eyes at her, but the synthesia woman was pretty weird about it, she breathlessly talked about it like she could see auras.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
As someone with grapheme, number-form, sound-to-color, and lexical-gustatory types of synaesthesia, that woman was a total exploitation of synaesthesia. Sure, she was a wacky person, possibly both not taking it seriously and being egged on by staff. But I also blame the producer for using it in horrible ways, none of that had to be carried out the way it was. I almost want to say she was a plant to up the ante of goofballism and ... augh. None of that had to be in there the way it was..
And it's not a disability. It doesn't take away your other senses, it stimulates one or multiple. You don't lose your sight when you hear a song, or touch a rough surface. It's a kin to the feeling you get during memory recall, you don't go somewhere else and not be able to see someone waving their hand in your face.
Sorry about that rant, I know it was misplaced but.. Food Network irks me in about 1,000 ways. (which comes out to be navy blue and pastel yellow. :haw:)

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 5, 2013

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

dude789 posted:

2. Add chopped corn.
3. Bake.

whoa whoa whoa, you don't get to mention Sandra Lee without breaking out the Kwanzaa Cake scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

PB&J with cinnamon sugar on top

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I was holding out hope that Gibert Gottfried was holding out as a sleeper pro chef, but instead he went with the most hillarious option possible. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at the Food Network, it's too bad they didn't send home the hummus lady just to keep the show entertaining. I can't really see myself watching any more episodes.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

They're all so terrible, but I don't know why anyone might have expected anything else.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Did Gilbert get eliminated already? That would have been the only reason I would have watched.

That, and to see if Kathy Najimy would make frito pie.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jamesman posted:

Did Gilbert get eliminated already? That would have been the only reason I would have watched.

That, and to see if Kathy Najimy would make frito pie.

I wanted to see Kathy Najimy make spa-peggy and meatballs or brown apple peggy.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Yep. It was great. He made PB&J for the first challenge and then, in the head to head cookoff, made PB&J again.

I am bedridden for yet another weekend because I keep screwing up my back more and more and even in a state where I am a captive audience and there is nothing else on, I can't get myself excited about watching iron chef anymore because of the ridiculous new twists they keep throwing in.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Yep. It was great. He made PB&J for the first challenge and then, in the head to head cookoff, made PB&J again.

I am bedridden for yet another weekend because I keep screwing up my back more and more and even in a state where I am a captive audience and there is nothing else on, I can't get myself excited about watching iron chef anymore because of the ridiculous new twists they keep throwing in.

Do you need a care package?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
The contrast of his opponent's grave seriousness about her mother's hummus and being concerned about losing made it that much better. If they cancelled all of the staged restaurant hidden camera shows and replaced them with "PB & J with Gilbert Gottfried" I would watch only Food Network.

e:

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I loved Flay's open disdain for the new 20 minute dish rule.

BXCX fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 7, 2013

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Next they'll stop chopping one of the Iron Chef's or challenger's sous chef every 15 minutes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really hate that poo poo. Just let the people make the best thing they can within their abilities. All these stupid twists just further cheapen something that was already pretty cheap. I just like it better when they pretend they aren't just a game show.

This poo poo annoyed me all the wya back in the cake challenges too. I want to see people make the best things they can make. Handicapping them and making it more likely that their creation is going to be destroyed just makes the whole thing more sad.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

It really showed last night how uncreative Bobby Flay is on ICA. Beef fat ice cream vs. "hey let's make meatballs and a burger!"

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

axleblaze posted:

In general on Sweet Genius I always find it hilarious how much trouble they seem to have making something within the theme.

I thought I saw something in a commercial for the show or maybe it was an episode preview. Wasn't there an episode where the inspiration was a dream catcher and someone just piped chocolate into the word "Dream" on the plate?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

cjg posted:

Wasn't there an episode where the inspiration was a dream catcher and someone just piped chocolate into the word "Dream" on the plate?

Yeah that was the guy with the weirdo glasses, I think we talked about him before.

BRB dumping fruity pebbles into chocolate mousse and calling it a dessert. It's the gross version of grape nuts in yogurt, which I actually do.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

It's the gross version of grape nuts in yogurt, which I actually do.

Pretty sure those are both gross versions, Ozma.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Yeah that was the guy with the weirdo glasses, I think we talked about him before.

BRB dumping fruity pebbles into chocolate mousse and calling it a dessert. It's the gross version of grape nuts in yogurt, which I actually do.

Grape nuts in maple yogurt is where it's at. Also grape nuts ice cream is pretty rad.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

criscodisco posted:

Pretty sure those are both gross versions, Ozma.

Hissssssssss

As long as the grape nuts stay crunchy it's fine

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

cjg posted:

I thought I saw something in a commercial for the show or maybe it was an episode preview. Wasn't there an episode where the inspiration was a dream catcher and someone just piped chocolate into the word "Dream" on the plate?

He tried to tie it in a little more. He also made a dark and a light candy (y'see one was a good dream and the other was a nightmare). That was still saner than the previous round in which the inspiration was "Firemen" and he made a chocolate World Trade Center.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

BXCX posted:

I loved Flay's open disdain for the new 20 minute dish rule.

Both this and the culinary curveballs are pretty terrible.

Please start subtitling the new Japanese episodes, internet.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Johnny Weir and Chili did a lot of hugging this week and it seemed kind of weird.

Though I really do like Johnny Weir a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub6cy-EGZWE

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I'm not sure if tonight's episode of Iron Chef is new or not, but I guess the show wasn't complicated enough because now they added some "GRUDGE MATCH" aspect to it. That being said it's worth watching because the secret ingredient was Scotch and the food looked really good. Also the judges were getting pretty buzzed by the end and it was pretty funny.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Johnny Weir and Chili did a lot of hugging this week and it seemed kind of weird.

Though I really do like Johnny Weir a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub6cy-EGZWE

Haven't watched the episode so don't ruin for me 'til morning when my partner wakes from his bloody mary stupor.

But, here's the thing... you gashes seem to like sassy gay men. Those homos like me who tend goats and wear mostly wool blends just hate them. Something about Johnny Weir bugs the crap out of me. We're not women! Who on earth would want to be?

I have chest hair, drat it.

Although... I had a nice long phone call with a goon once, and he told me that I sounded exactly like Hal Sparks. drat it.

Just tell me that Peggy Hill didn't go home.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I won't spoil it but will at least tell you that peggy hill did not go home, and I can see why Weir would annoy folks. The SASSY GAY GUY act doesn't do much for me but I think he's a good skater (I love figure skating), so that's why I like him. ;)

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Well, I suppose I can see that. Every time I step on ice I fall and make a new flat spot on the back of my head, so it's sort of impressive.

I guess that, deep down, I'm somewhat angry that I don't get to be covered in sequins when I do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Jamesman posted:

I believe it is the lady who reminds you every 30 seconds she is raising money for PETA. I have no idea why I cannot stop watching RVG. This show loving sucks and is even worse without uber troll Gilbert.

• Locked thread