Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
I'm trying to remember the name of two old BBS/BBX games.

The first was a coliseum/arena game where you started off as a slave with bare fists as your weapons and chest hair as your armor and you could only die a certain number of times per day. As you beat more monsters and leveled up your title would change and eventually you could become a king and then emperor.

The second was a ship battle game that may be pirate themed. You would fight another ship and could either fire your cannons or ram the opponent's ship. You could repair your boat, buy bigger ships that held more cannons or buy more cannons or a better ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Idiootti posted:

The Z game might be it, but I can't really say for sure.

It's not fully 3D, but it is pretty ugly and set on Mars, try Dark Colony.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Loanarn posted:

The first was a coliseum/arena game where you started off as a slave with bare fists as your weapons and chest hair as your armor and you could only die a certain number of times per day. As you beat more monsters and leveled up your title would change and eventually you could become a king and then emperor.
Usurper?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Loanarn posted:

The second was a ship battle game that may be pirate themed. You would fight another ship and could either fire your cannons or ram the opponent's ship. You could repair your boat, buy bigger ships that held more cannons or buy more cannons or a better ram.

As said, the first sounds like Usurper; until you got to the king part I thought it would be The Pit.

The second sounds like TradeWars 2002.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

I can hardly remember the game but after playing Usurper online a bit I think it may be it or if not another game in the same genre. The only thing that I remember that is different from Usurper is that you had a title that changed as you leveled up and in combat your armor could completely deflect blows.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

When I was a kid I had some sidescrolling fantasy game for the NES. The intro had a fairy in it. I cannot remember a single other thing about it.

the_cotter
Oct 20, 2012
I have two which I'm not holding out much hope for as they're both quite old and (I'm guessing) quite obscure. I believe both are from the 90s.

Superfrog Thanks to Geographica! ~ First is a (Shareware?) PC 2D Platform game which seemed like a fairly generic Sonic/Mario/Titus etc. clone. I think you played an animal. First level was set either on a big tree with smaller trees on it or a forest with lots of trees on it. I remember moving up and down the level. Second level was a haunted castle level. I remember the game had a Level Select screen (you couldn't select the later levels in the version I had though). It also had some sort of collectible. That's about it. Pre-emptive: It's not Jazz Jackrabbit. Update: I remember the first level had a "bee" enemy, and I even have a slight suspicion you might have been able to turn into a bee and gain a flight ability.

Still looking ~ Second was a Macintosh Adventure game which I got on a big shareware compilation CD back when CD drives were still a relative novelty. The style was a graphic window and I believe you typed in commands (so like the Gateway games). It had "Hotel" in the title I think. It started in your hotel room. You could do stuff like open the drawer, search the bed etc. You could go downstairs into the hotel foyer and into the liquor? store inside the hotel I think. Then you could go outside and I think you were meant to hail a cab but I could never work out how.

I'll be impressed and thankful if people know these, particularly the latter.

the_cotter fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

the_cotter posted:

I have two which I'm not holding out much hope for as they're both quite old and (I'm guessing) quite obscure. I believe both are from the 90s.

First is a (Shareware?) PC 2D Platform game which seemed like a fairly generic Sonic/Mario/Titus etc. clone. I think you played an animal. First level was set either on a big tree with smaller trees on it or a forest with lots of trees on it. I remember moving up and down the level. Second level was a haunted castle level. I remember the game had a Level Select screen (you couldn't select the later levels in the version I had though). It also had some sort of collectible. That's about it. Pre-emptive: It's not Jazz Jackrabbit.

Second was a Macintosh Adventure game which I got on a big shareware compilation CD back when CD drives were still a relative novelty. The style was a graphic window and I believe you typed in commands (so like the Gateway games). It had "Hotel" in the title I think. It started in your hotel room. You could do stuff like open the drawer, search the bed etc. You could go downstairs into the hotel foyer and into the liquor? store inside the hotel I think. Then you could go outside and I think you were meant to hail a cab but I could never work out how.

I'll be impressed and thankful if people know these, particularly the latter.

Could the first one be Bubsy?

the_cotter
Oct 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Could the first one be Bubsy?

Actually that's not the game I was thinking of, but I have played that before and had forgotten about it. Thanks but still looking.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

the_cotter posted:

First is a (Shareware?) PC 2D Platform game which seemed like a fairly generic Sonic/Mario/Titus etc. clone. I think you played an animal. First level was set either on a big tree with smaller trees on it or a forest with lots of trees on it. I remember moving up and down the level. Second level was a haunted castle level. I remember the game had a Level Select screen (you couldn't select the later levels in the version I had though). It also had some sort of collectible. That's about it. Pre-emptive: It's not Jazz Jackrabbit. Update: I remember the first level had a "bee" enemy, and I even have a slight suspicion you might have been able to turn into a bee and gain a flight ability.

Doesn't completely fit your description, but maybe Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Vargs posted:

When I was a kid I had some sidescrolling fantasy game for the NES. The intro had a fairy in it. I cannot remember a single other thing about it.

Take a look at Astyanax, maybe the screenshots will look familiar.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

the_cotter posted:

Second was a Macintosh Adventure game which I got on a big shareware compilation CD back when CD drives were still a relative novelty. The style was a graphic window and I believe you typed in commands (so like the Gateway games). It had "Hotel" in the title I think. It started in your hotel room. You could do stuff like open the drawer, search the bed etc. You could go downstairs into the hotel foyer and into the liquor? store inside the hotel I think. Then you could go outside and I think you were meant to hail a cab but I could never work out how.
This one sounds a lot like Deja Vu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01lZbrxxb0

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
PC Game.

You are a guy returning to his home country to try and get elected/maybe rebellion? for public office. I remember there were several factions at play, and you had to work with/against them to get to the top. Most of the gameplay consisted of your avatar wandering the city districts, finding places of importance, and talking to various people to try and get them on your side. You could also organize riots/other stuff.

I remember it had two cities, and the second was where the actual big bad lived, and once you got there, he could arrest your guys, messing things up for you.

It didn't have much in the way of story, and was disliked for being really repetitive, but there was a Let's Play on these forums in the last two years on it, where the person built up a huge story about the characters/what was going on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rookersh posted:

PC Game.

You are a guy returning to his home country to try and get elected/maybe rebellion? for public office. I remember there were several factions at play, and you had to work with/against them to get to the top. Most of the gameplay consisted of your avatar wandering the city districts, finding places of importance, and talking to various people to try and get them on your side. You could also organize riots/other stuff.

I remember it had two cities, and the second was where the actual big bad lived, and once you got there, he could arrest your guys, messing things up for you.

It didn't have much in the way of story, and was disliked for being really repetitive, but there was a Let's Play on these forums in the last two years on it, where the person built up a huge story about the characters/what was going on.

Probably Republic: The Revolution

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rookersh posted:

PC Game.

Republic: The Revolution?

E: God drat it.

Geographica
Jun 1, 2010

the_cotter posted:

First is a (Shareware?) PC 2D Platform game which seemed like a fairly generic Sonic/Mario/Titus etc. clone. I think you played an animal. First level was set either on a big tree with smaller trees on it or a forest with lots of trees on it. I remember moving up and down the level. Second level was a haunted castle level. I remember the game had a Level Select screen (you couldn't select the later levels in the version I had though). It also had some sort of collectible. That's about it. Pre-emptive: It's not Jazz Jackrabbit. Update: I remember the first level had a "bee" enemy, and I even have a slight suspicion you might have been able to turn into a bee and gain a flight ability.

Is this Superfrog (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GQqdGzaARY)?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yup, that was it. Thanks!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
SEGA game, I think. You controlled a bunch of different soldiers, with different weapons. It had a top-down perspective, and through the levels you would find other captive soldiers which would join your ranks if you liberated them. Losing a soldier meant you would never be able to use them again.
I remember one of the playable characters used a boomerang.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Azran posted:

SEGA game, I think. You controlled a bunch of different soldiers, with different weapons. It had a top-down perspective, and through the levels you would find other captive soldiers which would join your ranks if you liberated them. Losing a soldier meant you would never be able to use them again.
I remember one of the playable characters used a boomerang.

Gain Ground?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYlAGrTrQGU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Yes! Thanks a lot!

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Got a few from the '80s that I'm drawing a blank on.

1. Arcade game I played somewhere in 1987-1990. Had a little, round, brown critter with stubby little flipper arms. Side-scroller with the usual movement, jump, attack control set. He killed the bad men by throwing bubbles with water trapped in them. If you charged up the heavy attack, he threw a big bubble that made a river when it popped.

2. Google tells me it was Seven Cities of Gold. Man, that poo poo was fun.

Other 2. Goofy shooter with a cop character. When he got shot, he would yell, "My doughnut!"

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Great Horny Toads! posted:

1. Arcade game I played somewhere in 1987-1990. Had a little, round, brown critter with stubby little flipper arms. Side-scroller with the usual movement, jump, attack control set. He killed the bad men by throwing bubbles with water trapped in them. If you charged up the heavy attack, he threw a big bubble that made a river when it popped.

This sounds like Liquid Kids.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Bingo. Wow. I know it's not usually asked, but how the Hell, man?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Cross posting from the retro games thread:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

What's that game alert!

So I was thinking of arcade games I played as a kid. There was a game that I thought was Rolling Thunder wherein you're a dude with a gun and you shoot guys. Turns out it's not. I'm trying to recall the name of this game. The only discernible features I can recall was that you had a pistol, your life was in rectangular blocks at the bottom of the screen and one of the levels, probably the first, is a factory or a steel mill or something, something industrious. The character you played had either a red or white shirt, but that's all I can really remember.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I think you could tumble to dodge enemy attacks... Not a 100% on this.

Any ideas?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Other 2. Goofy shooter with a cop character. When he got shot, he would yell, "My doughnut!"
I know I played this one. Unfortunately I'm also fairly sure it was some obscure-ish shareware title, which makes it a pain to track down its name.

Still, I shall persevere because being unable to recall this kind of thing bothers the hell out of me. :reject:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Cross posting from the retro games thread:

Any ideas?

Technocop? You drive to the crime scene and then it becomes a side-scroller with your red-shirted brutal cop protagonist shooting everyone he sees

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Technocop? You drive to the crime scene and then it becomes a side-scroller with your red-shirted brutal cop protagonist shooting everyone he sees

Nope, it was definitely an arcade game. The hand in the UI would be something I would remember for sure.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nope, it was definitely an arcade game. The hand in the UI would be something I would remember for sure.

Maybe E-Swat? The 2nd player wears a red shirt I think.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alright, here's one that haunted my nightmares for a week or so in much younger days. There was a mini golf course in Hamlin, PA in the 90s that had a tiny arcade, and I got a brief look at the attract screens and it weirded my poo poo directly out. I want to say it displayed screens of some sort of urban setting and had text featuring the grim and gritty main character ruminating on his family, for whom he was presumably OUT FOR REVENGE. I mostly remember the text reading something like "MOTHER... FATHER..." in large red letters in a creepy font. I have suspected it was developed by Tecmo, since the font used for this text reminds me of that in the continue screen in the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden, but I've been unable to locate this mystery game via poking at Tecmo's production history on google and such. Any ideas?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Allen Wren posted:

Alright, here's one that haunted my nightmares for a week or so in much younger days. There was a mini golf course in Hamlin, PA in the 90s that had a tiny arcade, and I got a brief look at the attract screens and it weirded my poo poo directly out. I want to say it displayed screens of some sort of urban setting and had text featuring the grim and gritty main character ruminating on his family, for whom he was presumably OUT FOR REVENGE. I mostly remember the text reading something like "MOTHER... FATHER..." in large red letters in a creepy font. I have suspected it was developed by Tecmo, since the font used for this text reminds me of that in the continue screen in the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden, but I've been unable to locate this mystery game via poking at Tecmo's production history on google and such. Any ideas?

Longshot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KFBcN_Ya2k

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

boof posted:

Maybe E-Swat? The 2nd player wears a red shirt I think.

Nope wasn't ESWAT. The character you play had no access to armor. It's pretty much why I confused it for Rolling Thunder originally because it was just a guy and a pistol.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nope. Thanks for looking, though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The game I'm trying to remember was probably on the PS1, some time in the late 90s. It's about a little boy whose dog is kidnapped by aliens or something, and goes into another dimension to get him back. Most of the gameplay was side-scrolling, and most of the environments were drab and brown. The enemies were these black shadowy floaty figures.

VVVV that's it, thanks.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 2, 2013

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Krazyface posted:

The game I'm trying to remember was probably on the PS1, some time in the late 90s. It's about a little boy whose dog is kidnapped by aliens or something, and goes into another dimension to get him back. Most of the gameplay was side-scrolling, and most of the environments were drab and brown. The enemies were these black shadowy floaty figures.
Heart of Darkness.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This is definitely the Taito arcade game Crime City:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKhGtY4qI_o

The main characters are Raymond Brody and Tony Gibson, reused from Taito's rad driving game Chase HQ!

Allen Wren posted:

"Mom...Dad...Sis...please be careful..."
MIDNIGHT RESISTANCE!
"HA HA HA, you and family will DIE!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beoHC4KCq4I

Though for more text/revenge intro stuff Tecmo was a good guess, you might enjoy Tecmo Knight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7lwD_-NCbw This game has :black101: music, constant bloody decapitation, King Kong as a recurring mid-boss, and you ride around on a tiger or a giant man at the push of a button. The game LITERALLY has it all!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 2, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

MIDNIGHT RESISTANCE!

I think this is it. I'll have to poke around to doublecheck, since it doesn't look like anything on youtube has the attract sequence, but I think we've got a winner here.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
There was an arcade game, from the 80s or early 90s I think. It was a typical scrolling from the top shooter, but you were on a motorbike instead of the usual aircraft. It might have had a sidecar, but I'm not sure.

Another was the same sort of game though an aircraft, and you could choose your weapon type, by picking up a floating powerup which cycled through the four colours (red, green, blue, yellow). You started with red, which was a machinegun which powering up just added more bullets. Green was a laser, and one of the others fired in all four compass directions.

My last was an arcade game where you got a side view of a guy walking along. All I remember is that one of the things you could pick up was called a "K-Mark".

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Project1 posted:

There was an arcade game, from the 80s or early 90s I think. It was a typical scrolling from the top shooter, but you were on a motorbike instead of the usual aircraft. It might have had a sidecar, but I'm not sure.

Last Duel, maybe?
Though is sounds more like Action Fighter, which was a Sega Master System game.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Sizone posted:

Last Duel, maybe?
Though is sounds more like Action Fighter, which was a Sega Master System game.

Neither of those.

EDIT: Found it! It's called Thundercade. I wanted to mention that it had something to do with Thundercats, but I figured that couldn't be right. Apparently my childhood brain thought that Thundercade and Thundercats are the same thing.

Project1 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

This is definitely the Taito arcade game Crime City:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKhGtY4qI_o

The main characters are Raymond Brody and Tony Gibson, reused from Taito's rad driving game Chase HQ!

Seems to be it. I wasn't sure until I saw the tumbling and the 3rd level. Thanks.