Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

pkg, you say?

- Since I'm trying to get a server going for department-wide use in a way that my assistant can administer the thing when I'm not here, I've been trying to document everything I do; all my docs started with pkg_add.

- Then I read about the advantages of pkg, and I updated everything for use with it. I used the pkg2ng tool and then updated my docs to use just pkg.

- Then when updating from 9.1-RC3 to 9.1-RELEASE, the install somehow added a bunch of packages to the old database pkg_add uses. "pkg_version" and "pkg info" listed two sets of installed packages, with different versions of many things. The "pkg2ng" command would not work.
I just got message after message like "the package info for package 'apache22-2.2.23_3' is corrupt"

- I removed all installed packages/ports and tried to start fresh again with pkg, but then the pkgbeta site was emptied out, so I couldn't use that.

- I tried to fall back to pkg_add, but the 9.1-RELEASE binaries still aren't out.

- I re-installed all my stuff with ports / portmaster and updated my docs to use that.

- I then read I should be using 9-stable with pkg_add if I want to avoid compiling stuff but still get updates.

- And now you're saying I should wait for pkg to get updated. :/

I guess I picked a weird time to get into FreeBSD.

The pkgbeta packages are a beta and I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending you put them on official documentation, as they already got wiped once. If you were fine with using pkg_add there is no reason to switch from it, just change the PACKAGESITE environmental variable to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/ (replace arch + version if needed). Also if you switched to pkgng and back then make sure it is actually gone with pkg delete -af. As for the benefits of pkgng vs ports/old packages, you can use portmaster (install it from ports) and it should give you all of the functionality that pkgng gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, it looks like I will stick with pkg_add using 9-stable for initial package installations (to keep things quick), then update things with portmaster when needed.

Despite being new to this stuff, most things have been "perfect" with our server running FreeBSD (network logins, LDAP/Kerberos, AD authentication, NFS & SMB shares, Linux-based backup program, etc), except Samba 3.6.9 not working with Windows 8 roaming profiles. We end up with many files being written as zero-byte files, which of course screws up the whole roaming profile sync process.

3.6.10 is out, but not in ports, yet. I was going to test 4.0, but it's still listed as "samba4-devel".

Will Samba 4.0 final make it to 9-stable?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, it looks like I will stick with pkg_add using 9-stable for initial package installations (to keep things quick), then update things with portmaster when needed.

Despite being new to this stuff, most things have been "perfect" with our server running FreeBSD (network logins, LDAP/Kerberos, AD authentication, NFS & SMB shares, Linux-based backup program, etc), except Samba 3.6.9 not working with Windows 8 roaming profiles. We end up with many files being written as zero-byte files, which of course screws up the whole roaming profile sync process.

3.6.10 is out, but not in ports, yet. I was going to test 4.0, but it's still listed as "samba4-devel".

Will Samba 4.0 final make it to 9-stable?

If the port is done before 9 is EOL'd then yes.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
You did pick a weird time, but I believe packages installed by pkg_add can be managed by pkg and vice versa. If you have a system running well with packages added by one of the tools there's no reason to remove and reinstall with a different tool.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've been putting it off long enough. Our big FreeBSD server goes into production tomorrow.
The only issue with it is that Roaming Profiles don't work with Windows 8 - which no user currently has.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ninja Rope posted:

You did pick a weird time, but I believe packages installed by pkg_add can be managed by pkg and vice versa.

Not really. You can upgrade a pkg_add system to pkg with pkg2ng, but no tool has been written to convert in the other direction.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

It's out!
code:
The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team is pleased to announce the availability
of FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE.  This is the second release from the stable/9 branch,
which improves on the stability of FreeBSD 9.0 and introduces some new
features.  Some of the highlights:

- New Intel GPU driver with GEM/KMS support
	- netmap(4) fast userspace packet I/O framework
	- ZFS improvements from illumos project
	- CAM Target Layer, a disk and processor device emulation subsystem
	- Optional new C++11 stack including LLVM libc++ and libcxxrt
	- Jail devfs, nullfs, zfs mounting and configuration file support
	- POSIX2008 extended locale support, including compatibility with
	  Darwin extensions
	- oce(4) driver for Emulex OneConnect 10Gbit Ethernet card
	- sfxge(4) driver for 10Gb Ethernet adapters based on Solarflare
	  SFC9000 controller
	- Xen Paravirtualized Backend Ethernet Driver (netback) improvement
	- hpt27xx(4) driver for HighPoint RocketRAID 27xx-based SAS 6Gb/s HBA
	- GEOM multipath class improvement
	- GEOM raid class is enabled by default supporting software RAID
	  by deprecated ataraid(8)
	- kernel support for the AVX FPU extension
	- Numerous improvements in IPv6 hardware offload support.
Don't download or upgrade to it if you want any prebuilt packages whatsoever!

code:
Due to the security incident reported here:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/news/2012-compromise.html

only the small third-party package set on the DVD image is available at this
time for users who require pre-built packages (just GNOME and KDE windowing
systems).  The FreeBSD Project's package building infrastructure is undergoing
a complete review and redesign.  At this time we can not commit to a date
the full release package set will become available.  A separate announcement
will be made when that becomes available.  If you wish to install 9.1-RELEASE
now you can build your own packages using portsnap(8) to obtain an up to
date ports tree and then build the packages.  If you require pre-built
packages you should wait for the announcement of the full release package
set becoming available.
entire ml post here: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2012-December/001448.html

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

hifi posted:

It's out!

It looks like the 9.1 ISOs still have the same Dec 4th build date.

OK, this looks wonderful:

quote:

[November 2, 2012] The current mfi(4) driver has an overflow bug when handling disks larger than 2^32 sectors in SYSPD volumes, also known as JBODs, which will cause data corruption. This bug has been fixed on this FreeBSD-CURRENT but was too late for inclusion in this release. An Errata Notice for 9.1-RELEASE is planned.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/errata.html

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=173291

This is exactly how our server is configured. mfi driver, JBOD disks, 3TB in size.

It says the fix has been rolled into stable already. I can I check what version of the mfi driver I have loaded, and how do I get the newer/fixed one?

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 31, 2012

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
csup with the stable-supfile and build/installkernel should get you the new one. Some modules tell you what version they are when you load them.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ninja Rope posted:

csup with the stable-supfile and build/installkernel should get you the new one. Some modules tell you what version they are when you load them.

Welp. I guess I better go learn what those words mean.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
The FreeBSD Handbook covers it well. You probably won't need to update world or change the GENERIC config file, but you do need the csup step to make sure you have the latest stable sources.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

You can get -stable snapshots here, and it's fine to download the sources via csup now, but it is currently deprecated and will be gone in the future. Development is currently done with SVN, although you can also get the sources through rsync (see handbook) or the semi-official git repos here.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

hifi posted:

You can get -stable snapshots here, and it's fine to download the sources via csup now, but it is currently deprecated and will be gone in the future. Development is currently done with SVN, although you can also get the sources through rsync (see handbook) or the semi-official git repos here.

Would it be easier to grab a stable snapshot and just extract the newer kernel from there?

Edit:

I tried to grab the source with SVN and buildkernel:

# pkg_add -rv subversion
# mv /usr/src /usr/src.release
# svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel

quote:

/usr/src/sys/amd64/acpica/acpi_switch.S: Assembler messages:
/usr/src/sys/amd64/acpica/acpi_switch.S:146: Error: no such instruction: `xsetbv'
/usr/src/sys/amd64/acpica/acpi_switch.S:147: Error: no such instruction: `xrstor (%rbx)'

From what I've seen (googled the error), I have to do a "make buildworld" first. Can I not build & install just the updated kernel by itself?

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 2, 2013

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

# make buildkernel
did you use KERNCONF=GENERIC?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

It defaulted to Generic when no kernel was specified, I thought. I saw a ton of "GENERIC" scrolling by while it was compiling.

Other pages (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html) mention that just "make buildkernel" can be used.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

It defaulted to Generic when no kernel was specified, I thought. I saw a ton of "GENERIC" scrolling by while it was compiling.

Other pages (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html) mention that just "make buildkernel" can be used.
tmyk, honestly I do not use the "new" way of compiling a kernel so I was throwing that out there as a possibility

you may just simply want to update the src tree and try again if something changed

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Since this compiling stuff has now entered its second hour, would it be possible for me to just fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/amd64/9.1-PRERELEASE/kernel.txz and boot from that?

Edit: I booted from that. Dec 30th build. I'm guessing it has the new mfi driver (since the updated mfi.c was in the source), but the only things newer than 9.1-RELEASE are all labeled 9.1-PRERELEASE. I'm guessing because they were build before 9.1-release was officially announced??

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 2, 2013

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

Since this compiling stuff has now entered its second hour, would it be possible for me to just fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/amd64/9.1-PRERELEASE/kernel.txz and boot from that?

Edit: I booted from that. Dec 30th build. I'm guessing it has the new mfi driver (since the updated mfi.c was in the source), but the only things newer than 9.1-RELEASE are all labeled 9.1-PRERELEASE. I'm guessing because they were build before 9.1-release was officially announced??

You are correct, and the kernel sources after the 31st will build a kernel that reports as 9.1-stable.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I gave it another go. I didn't want the original 9.1-release kernel (Dec 4th), but I also didn't want the 9.1-PRErelease kernel (Dec 30th).

Compiling the kernel from the Dec 30th sources failed. So I grabbed *just* the MFI driver from the Dec 30th sources and put it in the Dec 4th source tree, then compiled that.

Entire process (as if coming from a clean install):
code:
# pkg_add -rv subversion
# cp -pr /usr/src /usr/src.release
# svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/sys/dev/mfi/ /usr/src.mfi
# cp /usr/src.mfi/* /usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/
# rm -fr /usr/src.mfi
# cd /usr/src
# make -j8 buildkernel
# make -j8 installkernel
# reboot
Before:

quote:

FreeBSD derp.local 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825: Tue Dec 4 09:23:10 UTC 2012
root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

After:

quote:

FreeBSD derp.local 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0: Wed Jan 2 12:30:38 CST 2013
root@derp.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

I don't know if that's the best way of updating it, but it seemed to work, and it is easy to document.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Xenomorph posted:

I guess I picked a weird time to get into FreeBSD.

I'm sorry; your timing really was unfortunate.

FYI the pkg_add database is just directories/files in /var/db/pkg. The new pkg database is a sqlite database. If you want to continue to make sure you use the new pkg format you need to have WITH_PKGNG="YES" in /etc/make.conf.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Xenomorph posted:

The 9-STABLE branch is marked as 9-STABLE until a release nears. At some point it gets branched into 9.1-RELEASE branch, but things might still say 9.1-RC1, -RC2, -PRERELEASE, etc. Before the final build a commit is made so it's changed to 9.1-RELEASE.

It's possible for things to be backported to the 9-STABLE branch that won't make the 9.1-RELEASE branch and your builds still say 9.1-PRERELEASE. Anyway, after the release the 9-STABLE branch is put back to 9-STABLE and development moves on until 9.2 nears.

clicky here to see things: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/

hth

feld fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 2, 2013

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

To add to that, the next set of snapshots will report as -STABLE, and any set of sources from the stable branch downloaded after this commit will report as -STABLE. Since the release has gone off (so far) without a problem, the -PRERELEASE designation in the uname string is cosmetic.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Hey over the weekend 2 of the GPT devices in my ZFS Raid-Z2 decided to disappear. Sort of. I can still pull the smart info from these drives with their adaxx designation, but their (label?) in /dev/gpt/ is missing. And 'zpool status' shows the following -

code:
root@hydra:/dev/gpt # zpool status
  pool: storage
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator.
        Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
        degraded state.
action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device with
        'zpool replace'.
  scan: scrub canceled on Sun Jan  6 15:10:29 2013
config:

NAME                      STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage                   DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz2-0                DEGRADED     0     0     0
            4294506216448113758   REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/gpt/bay7
            13165379476280596928  REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/gpt/bay8
            gpt/bay9              ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/bay10             ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/bay11             ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/bay12             ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Contemplating trying to add the "failed" devices back after recreating their GPT labels I guess, but this is probably a bad idea.

On the other hand with the two problem children failed out that particular array is faster than its been in a long time!

Two fresh drives is probably the right answer here eh?

'gpart show' output appears to be missing for the two devices in question.

I apparently did not write down the correct /dev <-> gpt translations. Great.

'dmesg' says -

code:
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): CAM status: Command timeout
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): Retrying command
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 40 66 f2 ef 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 00 a6 ef ef 40 00 00 00 01 00 00
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 00 26 f2 ef 40 00 00 00 01 00 00
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 00 26 f1 ef 40 00 00 00 01 00 00
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 00 a6 ed ef 40 00 00 00 01 00 00
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 40 a6 f0 ef 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 01 22 76 46 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): lost device
(pass3:siisch3:0:0:0): passdevgonecb: devfs entry is gone
siisch2: device reset stuck (timeout 100ms) status = ffffffff
(ada2:siisch2:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 01 4d 6b 30 40 22 00 00 00 00 00
(ada2:siisch2:0:0:0): CAM status: Command timeout
(ada2:siisch2:0:0:0): Retrying command
(ada2:siisch2:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 00 66 f3 ef 40 00 00 00 01 00 00
(ada2:siisch2:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 80 e6 f4 ef 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
(ada2:siisch2:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 80 66 f4 ef 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
(ada2:siisch2:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 01 22 76 46 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
(ada2:siisch2:0:0:0): lost device
(pass2:siisch2:0:0:0): passdevgonecb: devfs entry is gone
(ada3:siisch3:0:0:0): removing device entry
(ada2:siisch2:0:0:0): removing device entry

Yea that doesn't look good :)

roadhead fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 7, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Anyone mess with ZFS compression to check performance?

compression=on/lzjb doesn't seem to have any performance impact, but of course the compression isn't the best.
Samba = 100-110 MB/sec, with like a 2% compression on some binary stuffs (uncompressed videos and images).

compression=gzip/gzip-6 kills performance. This is a Dual Xeon E5-2630 system, 12 physical/ 24 logical cores. CPU utilization hit ~80%, and Samba speeds dropped to 40-50MB/sec.
Compression jumped to 50% for the same binary files.

compression=gzip-1 still makes an impact on performance, 70% CPU utilization, and Samba drops to 70-80MB/sec. Compression is almost as good as gzip-6, but I still don't want the performance hit.

I guess there's no "in-between" the lzjb and gzip-1.

Any idea why gzip compression would make things so unresponsive, network-wise? Not just the Samba performance, I was getting lag & delays just typing commands via an SSH shell when a file copy was in progress.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 8, 2013

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

Anyone mess with ZFS compression to check performance?

compression=on/lzjb doesn't seem to have any performance impact, but of course the compression isn't the best.
Samba = 100-110 MB/sec, with like a 2% compression on some binary stuffs (uncompressed videos and images).

compression=gzip/gzip-6 kills performance. This is a Dual Xeon E5-2630 system, 12 physical/ 24 logical cores. CPU utilization hit ~80%, and Samba speeds dropped to 40-50MB/sec.
Compression jumped to 50% for the same binary files.

compression=gzip-1 still makes an impact on performance, 70% CPU utilization, and Samba drops to 70-80MB/sec. Compression is almost as good as gzip-6, but I still don't want the performance hit.

I guess there's no "in-between" the lzjb and gzip-1.

Any idea why gzip compression would make things so unresponsive, network-wise? Not just the Samba performance, I was getting lag & delays just typing commands via an SSH shell when a file copy was in progress.

All that zipping isn't just using CPU, it taking a lot of memory (and bandwidth), kicking things out of your CPU caches, and if your root or swap (is this even possible?) are on the ZFS obviously you're contending for the drive heads as well.

I imagine that when the compression is on, all memory that can be freed, is and is used for caching/decompression. That means the bit of code that is the SSH daemon probably gets swapped. So that might explain the delay when connecting, as it has to wait for memory to be made available and then load the pages back in from (relatively) slow disk.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
So I'm jumping into the world of FreeBSD full time on my file server. However coming from Ubuntu where sudo just gets installed by default, I'm currently having to build it from source. A new experience for me and TBH I'm liking it so far. However is there a way I can get around hitting ftp.gnu.org for everything? <100K speeds on my cable connection is mind numbing.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Don't build from source, use FreeBSD's package management system - ports.

short answer:
code:
pkg_add -r sudo
better/longer answer:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm trying to get GDM working and it doesn't seem to want to. It's installed and I enabled it in rc.conf, but it doesn't start at boot. I can get it to start with /etc/ttys, but like the gdm port says it's broken if you do that.

Also, in xfce the terminal application doesn't seem to be working. It flashes on the screen for a split second then disappears. I can't tell from a simple ps if it's running in the background, but what should I do to solve this?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Also, in xfce the terminal application doesn't seem to be working. It flashes on the screen for a split second then disappears. I can't tell from a simple ps if it's running in the background, but what should I do to solve this?
Run it from xterm / look at the X log and see if it is throwing an error? Maybe it has a verbose mode that may assist you. Sounds like a dependency issue fwiw.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Starting it from xterm works, though it throws an error before starting:
code:
Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to session manager:
SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
Although that might be because I'm running it without the rest of xfce.

While xfce is running the terminal it's on gives errors if I try to start the program also:

(It's in a VM and I can't really copy text out of it)

What does all that mean?

Also, with GDM, trying to start it from the terminal gives warnings saying

code:
Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager: Connection ':1.7' not allowed to own service due to security policies in config file
and

code:
Could not acquire name; bailing out

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 16, 2013

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

icantfindaname posted:

I'm trying to get GDM working and it doesn't seem to want to. It's installed and I enabled it in rc.conf, but it doesn't start at boot. I can get it to start with /etc/ttys, but like the gdm port says it's broken if you do that.

*edit*

Whoops thought i was in the linux thread. Which BSD is this?

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 16, 2013

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Longinus00 posted:

What are you trying to do and what distro are you using? Also why are you doing what you're doing instead of just using something that's already setup like fedora xfce or xubuntu?

I'm trying to setup xfce in FreeBSD. I don't intend to actually use it for anything, just tinkering around in a VM.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

icantfindaname posted:

I'm trying to setup xfce in FreeBSD. I don't intend to actually use it for anything, just tinkering around in a VM.

Yea sorry, I got my tabs confused and was wondering why you were doing this by hand. I would look into your dependencies because although XFCE has a bunch of GTK dependencies it might not be enough to satisfy what GDM wants. You can try installing gnome and seeing if that pulls enough in to get it working. Alternatively look into using something like XDM.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Since this is the obscure *nix thread and there's apparent code sharing between BSD and illumos, I was wondering, what's the deal on illumos these days? I'm suffering from OS-dysphoria again and was looking around. Doesn't seem like the build number of the kernel was bumped that much, but ostensibly there's been tons of changes. Did it improve much over the last OpenSolaris release?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm having a bit of an NFS issue.

I thought this was working before, but it definitely is not, now. My FreeBSD server is hosting the NFS shares, and other clients (CentOS, Ubuntu, Mac OS X, etc) will be accessing the NFS shares.

Just browsing NFS is fine, but when a user has an NFS share as their home (/nfs/home/username), it takes a very, very long time for them to log in or out.

Server (FreeBSD 9.1), /var/messages:
code:
Jan 24 15:27:22 ServerBox kernel: NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat = 7, port = 28416
Jan 24 15:28:55 ServerBox kernel: NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat = 5, port = 28416
Jan 24 15:30:14 ServerBox last message repeated 2 times
Jan 24 15:33:13 ServerBox kernel: NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat = 5, port = 28416
Jan 24 15:33:38 ServerBox kernel: NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat = 5, port = 28416
Client (CentOS 6.3), /var/messages:
code:
Jan 24 14:52:12 ClientBox kernel: lockd: server ServerBox not responding, still trying
Jan 24 14:52:22 ClientBox kernel: lockd: server ServerBox OK
Jan 24 14:53:59 ClientBox kernel: lockd: server ServerBox not responding, still trying
Jan 24 14:54:27 ClientBox kernel: lockd: server ServerBox OK
Server:
(/etc/exports)
code:
/share -maproot=nobody 10.0.0.1
(/etc/rc.conf)
code:
# enable NFS
rpcbind_endable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
mountd_flags="-r"

# enable NFS locking
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"
Client: (/etc/fstab)
code:
ServerBox:/share /nfs/home nfs defaults 0 0
Nothing in hosts.allow/deny, no firewall/iptables running. Any idea why NFS takes so long or I get so many locking & rpcbind-related errors?

Edit: It WAS working before. How do I know? I just rebooted the server. I left the config as-is. Now I can log in and out quickly again.

I cannot be rebooting this server in the middle of the work-day. Anyone familiar with NFS on FreeBSD or rpcbind/lockd just crapping out?

--------------------

Edit, I'm guessing something with ZFS snapshots is causing hell.

I found this:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=29648
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=26727
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=168942

Reloading the NFS share (such as "/share/cats") gives me errors in /var/log/messages like this:

Server:
code:
can't delete exports for /share/cats/.zfs/snapshot/2012-12-28_18.00.00--30d: Invalid argument
can't delete exports for /share/cats/.zfs/snapshot/2012-12-28_16.18.44--30d: Invalid argument
can't delete exports for /share/cats/.zfs/snapshot/2013-01-22_15.00.00--30d: Invalid argument
Apparently NFS doesn't work with ZFS snapshots, and hasn't for YEARS, and there is no known fix. Am I reading that right?

Client:
code:
$ ls /share/cats/.zfs
shares  snapshot

$ ls /share/cats/.zfs/snapshot/
ls: reading directory /share/cats/.zfs/snapshot/: Input/output error

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 25, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Yesterday, I tried installing FreeBSD. I tried using the ports collection. It ended up creating an interminable series of configuration menus, spaced 10 minutes apart.

I discovered a command pkg_add and tried using that. It was trying to access a URL from a FreeBSD ftp server that did not exist. It was trying to access ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.1-release.

How can they release a system where installing packages doesn't work? The last time I had an installation experience as bad as this was when trying to install Arch Linux.

I wanted/needed to port some software to FreeBSD, a port that some people were asking for, but apparently they can't have that because the operating system doesn't really work.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

shrughes posted:

Yesterday, I tried installing FreeBSD. I tried using the ports collection. It ended up creating an interminable series of configuration menus, spaced 10 minutes apart.

I discovered a command pkg_add and tried using that. It was trying to access a URL from a FreeBSD ftp server that did not exist. It was trying to access ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.1-release.

How can they release a system where installing packages doesn't work? The last time I had an installation experience as bad as this was when trying to install Arch Linux.

I wanted/needed to port some software to FreeBSD, a port that some people were asking for, but apparently they can't have that because the operating system doesn't really work.

You can use 'make config-recursive' in the folder of the port to do all the config beforehand. As for the packages, I don't know, but port installation with that command is much easier. It still sometimes pings obscure ftp servers that haven't existed in years, but after a while it moves on, and you don't have to sit there for an hour with it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

shrughes posted:

Yeah, I mentioned a few times recently that this is a WEIRD time to get into FreeBSD. They are dropping some stuff, switching to some other stuff, moving stuff around, stuff is entering/leaving beta, they pulled/deleted stuff due to a system compromise, etc, etc.

To get pkg_add to work (which I used to set up a clean install of 9.1 the week after Christmas), you need to set up the environment to use something like the -STABLE binaries (not -RELEASE).

For example;

In ~/.bashrc (for bash/sh):
code:
# use latest 9-stable packages
export PACKAGESITE='ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/'
In ~/.cshrc (for csh/tcsh):
code:
# use latest 9-stable packages
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/
You can then initially install everything as a binary via pkg_add, then use portsnap & portmaster to download patches and update. You *only* have to compile if there is an update to some specific package.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Also, regarding the NFS issue I had (gently caress that), I have a work-around, and it seems to be working OK (for now).

One, instead of exporting the equivalent of "/tank/share" volume (which contains the .zfs snapshots), I've gone back and exported the sub-directories I needed, "/tank/share/home", "/tank/share/data", etc.

With that fixed, my logs stopped filling up with the "can't delete exports for ..." snapshot errors.

The 2+ minute delay on login/logout started again on the server. Apparently it has something to do with NFS locks.

bash & sh: always works.
tcsh & csh: 2+ minute delay on load or unload, unless the NFS path is mounted with the "nolock" option.

Is that some issue with Linux + BSD? Why would bash/sh be cool with locks, but tcsh/csh choke on them???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

shrughes posted:

How can they release a system where installing packages doesn't work?

Yep, it's pretty stupid. You should be able to install 9.0 and have everything work as normal.

• Locked thread