Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
The fash is a mental disorder, as such there is no arguing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

the2ndgenesis posted:

The fash is a mental disorder, as such there is no arguing with it.

Mental disorders invoke empathy and hope for treatment or cure.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

hotgreenpeas posted:

I am shocked that a white supremacist conservative let his son go to New College of Florida. Not that mostly-white, hippie, liberal arts colleges don't have their share of clueless racists, but unless things have really changed in the last few years, NCF is basically the Hampshire College of the South. Not exactly a comfortable and accepting environment for neo-nazis.

Yeah, New College was pretty liberal when I went there in '01, but it was also pretty much entirely white middle-upper class (which is probably mostly due to location and the size of the school, this was also a school with a pretty active anarchist group, amoung other activist groups). He probably just figured everyone else there was also racist, but just were quiet about it.

In other news, has there been much in the conservosphere on the fiscal "cliff" deal? I am pretty curious how they will spin Boehner's refusal to bring the deal to a vote before we went over the Jan. 1 deadline.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

bigtom posted:

Looks like people have been jumping off the "Stop Obama Express" - http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/sean-hannity-big-loser-2012-election-article-1.1228269

I get a perverse joy out of seeing his ratings crumble...I just wish the guys radio ratings would fall like his Fox News Channel Neilsens have.

It's seriously about loving time Hannity lost his audience visibly. That insufferable hack has been irrelevant and worthless for years.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Spacedad posted:

It's seriously about loving time Hannity lost his audience visibly. That insufferable hack has been irrelevant and worthless for years.

Don't forget a thieving parasite who held "freedom concerts" allegedly to benefit veterans and AD armed forces members and then pocketed like 90% of the money that came in! :shepface:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Chachi posted:

Don't forget a thieving parasite who held "freedom concerts" allegedly to benefit veterans and AD armed forces members and then pocketed like 90% of the money that came in! :shepface:

During certain years, more like 97% - only 3% went to vets in 2005, the rest went to 'expenses' such as Hannity's private Jet.

Oh and then there's this: http://www.truth-out.org/buzzflash/...s-investigation

quote:

CREW points out that Premiere Marketing actually puts on the concerts, a company led by Duane Ward, also head of the organization that represents Hannity and North on the speech circuit, Premiere Speakers Bureau. As Melanie Sloan, executive director of CREW, explained on an appearance on MSNBC, "At the concerts, they [even] sell tour collectibles under Premiere Collectibles. So basically, the whole thing is a money-making enterprise for Premiere Marketing." Crew says that after the concerts, Premiere Marketing then offers an as-yet unidentified cut of the money it takes in to the charity.

It's worth noting that Premiere Marketing is often cited as an 'employment scammer' as well.

But yeah, this is *yet another* example of how right wing political commentary is associated at every level with scamming elderly and vulnerable gullibles with snake oil routines. Turn on right wing radio or Fox and you'll see/hear the pundits pushing marketing scam linked bullshit in between segments or see several of those scam-ads between regular programming. Almost all of right wing media is essentially part of an elaborate scam to separate suckers from their money - and a lot of this is rooted in the televangelist takeover of the republican party during the 70s and early 80s. The house of cards is starting to fall apart now though, because the right wing can no longer pretend they are being 'effective' politically by relying on the simple majority of gullible white christian heterosexual males to give them automatic political power - people like Karl Rove have been exposed as the cheap scam artists they really are.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 1, 2013

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Spacedad posted:

Just to follow up on this, here's a link that another goon posted in the Republican rebuilding thread, about how Maddow and O'Donnell are still beating Hannity and GVS in the ratings. :buddy:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Chachi posted:

I'm reminded of this article, which basically says that setting up dodgy charities and snake oil and whatnot where they pocket most of the money for "overhead" is a long-running tradition in hardcore conservative circles, along with fomenting a powerful, cartoonish us vs. them mentality.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Speaking of Hannity, I caught about 30 seconds of his radio show today and I'm not sure if it was a caller or a guest he had on, but the guy was railing against "Right to Work" laws and explaining how they drive everyone's wages down, not just union workers'. Sean went on about lower taxes, fewer regulations, etc. Then the caller/guest brought up "The Tea Party" and pointed out that it was a violent rebellion when Hannity cut him off and mistakenly assumed the guy was talking about the 2010 thing and not the original uprising that the caller was referencing. He said "you're confusing it with Occupy Wall Street!"

Then he plugged his TV show where 'so and so' will debate a "union thug". It was a tremendous amount of bullshit to cram into a half a minute. I can only imagine what the rest of the show was like.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
You don't have to like Lebron to recognize game, and by the same token, watching O'Reilly and Limbaugh has taught me that those men are actually very talented broadcasters, as opposed to Hannity, who just loving sucks at what he does. He just. loving. Sucks. I don't necessarily believe that O'Reilly or Limbaugh believe everything they say, but I do at least believe that in the general sense, they have political opinions that informs their work. Sean Hannity is just a deeply punchable, unwatchable choad who very obviously has no principles whatsoever. Have no idea why he was ever popular, can think of no one more deserving of losing viewers.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just to follow up on this, here's a link that another goon posted in the Republican rebuilding thread, about how Maddow and O'Donnell are still beating Hannity and GVS in the ratings. :buddy:

No doubt post-election fallout, but this last year was also Fox's best year ever for ratings and revenue.

I like to think that the 'fever broke' because of how hard Romney lost, thereby disillusioning a lot of Fox viewers - but I suspect it will creep back up.

...The ratings will creep back in...like a pale man who lurks in the bushes near the old folks home and screams about 'communist nazi birth cert secret gay muslims taking are chick-fil-a freedom guns' who steals away the brains of your grandparents and relatives when you're not there.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 2, 2013

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I was most surprised to learn that O'Reilly is (still) the number one rated cable news show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Spacedad posted:

No doubt post-election fallout, but this last year was also Fox's best year ever for ratings and revenue.

I like to think that the 'fever broke' because of how hard Romney lost, thereby disillusioning a lot of Fox viewers - but I suspect it will creep back up.

...The ratings will creep back in...like a pale man who lurks in the bushes near the old folks home and screams about 'communist nazi birth cert secret gay muslims taking are chick-fil-a freedom guns' who steals away the brains of your grandparents and relatives when you're not there.

I think there will always be a fairly sizable contingent of viewers that refuses to believe that Fox News is broadcasting anything but the unvarnished truth.

With that said, however, I also think a lot of FN viewers have become disillusioned as a result of Obama's re-election. Either they're disillusioned because some of the scales fell from their eyes and they realized Fox News was just telling them whatever they wanted to hear in order to get ratings; or else they're disillusioned because FN has revealed themselves to be just another bunch of RINOs, and thus is no longer "conservative enough" for them (because FN caved in and announced that Obama had been re-elected, instead of immediately reporting the "truth" that Obama stole the election, voter fraud was committed on a massive scale, voters were forced at gunpoint by Black Panthers to vote for Obama, and so on).

Of course, I highly doubt these people suddenly decided "well, might as well start watching that Maddow now" or anything like that. It's likely that they've just quit watching cable news altogether, and decided to either just stick to their local news networks, or else (in the case of the hardcore nutjobs) they've decided to seek out like-minded "real" conservative news sources on the Internet.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Only in the 25-54 demo. If you look at their total numbers, Fox News still has over twice the viewership of MSNBC. Old people watch cable news.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

(edit - wrong thread oops)

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

Spacedad posted:

One tip I think will help new players is to be checking who is alive and dead on your team or the other team. (Holding tab)

Try to move with your team rather than solo, and pay attention to when the enemy team is mostly wiped out to make a push for point capture or cart push.

If your team has been mostly wiped out, it is often better for you to fall back and stay alive - retreating will help you stay alive so you can be a part of your team when they come back to the front lines from spawn.

Get into the habit of checking with the tab key to get a good overview of where the battle is. Generally how it goes is your team fights and destroys several of the enemy, and then you make a push. (Or if you are on defense, you try to regroup to hold the line, and not over-extend. Staying alive is the name of the game for red defenders - blu attackers respawn faster so they can tend to take more risks.)

Im on the blue team I think!

I dont like the red team very much.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

watt par posted:

Only in the 25-54 demo. If you look at their total numbers, Fox News still has over twice the viewership of MSNBC. Old people watch cable news.

Old people don't matter to Madison Avenue ad buys - only if they are selling retirement investments, health insurance, reverse mortgages, or other products targeted specifically to 55+. AM radio stations are running into the same issue - not too many people under 35 listen to AM radio, unless it's sports.

25-49 is the money demo for TV, vs 25-54 for radio. That's why all the "oldies" stations are playing 80's music and no more Chuck Berry or The 4 Seasons...and why classic rockers are spinning Green Day. THAT'S the challenge for conservative talk stations - all the young'ns listen to NPR. It's why WTKK, despite being on a full class B FM signal in Boston, is flipping to jammin oldies today/tomorrow - no ratings to sell.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

watt par posted:

Speaking of cable news: how much longer do you guys think it will survive? Another decade or two? Or at least until the last of the previous generations that didn't grow up with the internet die off?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Judging by the number of boner pill and catheter ads I see on MSNBC every day, they seem to be going after the older demographic.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

beatlegs posted:

Judging by the number of boner pill and catheter ads I see on MSNBC every day, they seem to be going after the older demographic.

Hey man, kids today are into some pretty kinky stuff.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

beatlegs posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I watch/listen to a lot of MSNBC during the day and holy poo poo, there are a lot of catheter ads. Add life insurance and AARP Medicare supplements to the two things you mentioned, and that's about 85% of the ads during daytime.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

bigtom posted:

Old people don't matter to Madison Avenue ad buys - only if they are selling retirement investments, health insurance, reverse mortgages, or other products targeted specifically to 55+. AM radio stations are running into the same issue - not too many people under 35 listen to AM radio, unless it's sports.

25-49 is the money demo for TV, vs 25-54 for radio. That's why all the "oldies" stations are playing 80's music and no more Chuck Berry or The 4 Seasons...and why classic rockers are spinning Green Day. THAT'S the challenge for conservative talk stations - all the young'ns listen to NPR. It's why WTKK, despite being on a full class B FM signal in Boston, is flipping to jammin oldies today/tomorrow - no ratings to sell.

Cable news is so cheap to produce they turn a profit selling boner pills, catheters, reverse mortgages, and gold schemes at discount rates. The standard demo for advertising is pretty much irrelevant to them.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Guido van Possum posted:

Im on the blue team I think!

I dont like the red team very much.
I think that's just describing how to play Team Fortress 2...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I watch/listen to a lot of MSNBC during the day and holy poo poo, there are a lot of catheter ads. Add life insurance and AARP Medicare supplements to the two things you mentioned, and that's about 85% of the ads during daytime.

People with jobs don't watch daytime TV anyway, and the only people who have money to spend but no jobs are old folks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

People with jobs don't watch daytime TV anyway, and the only people who have money to spend but no jobs are old folks.

Yeah it's this. Well, old people and stay at home parents; but it's the olds who'll be watching the cable news.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Crasscrab posted:

Speaking of cable news: how much longer do you guys think it will survive? Another decade or two? Or at least until the last of the previous generations that didn't grow up with the internet die off?

I'm beginning to think this way with a lot of tv. Chord-cutting isn't as pronounced as some of you might think. But it's there. And if the destruction of the music and print industries are any indication, tv is probably next.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vertical Lime posted:

I'm beginning to think this way with a lot of tv. Chord-cutting isn't as pronounced as some of you might think. But it's there. And if the destruction of the music and print industries are any indication, tv is probably next.

Probably not. The reason print media and the music industry are dying is partly because that content can be found free online but also because it's more convenient. Setting up a media center box or automating torrents or whatever is much more of a hassle and far beyond the average consumer's technical ability. Where tv is changing is the balkanization of viewership patterns away from the networks and toward cable and increasingly niche programming, including cable news.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

watt par posted:

Probably not. The reason print media and the music industry are dying is partly because that content can be found free online but also because it's more convenient. Setting up a media center box or automating torrents or whatever is much more of a hassle and far beyond the average consumer's technical ability. Where tv is changing is the balkanization of viewership patterns away from the networks and toward cable and increasingly niche programming, including cable news.

To be fair, it used to be the same with music and print media before they became widely adapted to digital formats and disseminated through the internet. It's only a matter of time until the same happens to TV; some are trying to grab market share as we speak with sites like Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix working to capture as much of the market as possible. There are already a few dedicated boxes out there that do both DVR and streaming content like Roku as well, making it easier every day.

You'll still have the Balkanization problem because once people have the ability to choose content that suits them and their world view they will continue to consume that content, usually to the detriment of all others. They already do it with their news anyway, it's just that much easier with streaming content. The big networks will adapt and overcome if they're smart, or die a slow death like many in the music distribution industry if they don't. Some already are adapting by partnering with sites like Hulu and Amazon.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

NatasDog posted:

To be fair, it used to be the same with music and print media before they became widely adapted to digital formats and disseminated through the internet. It's only a matter of time until the same happens to TV; some are trying to grab market share as we speak with sites like Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix working to capture as much of the market as possible. There are already a few dedicated boxes out there that do both DVR and streaming content like Roku as well, making it easier every day.

And yet record labels are still going out of business and consolidating, and print publications are closing shop as well, generally within a year or two after going all digital. Point is with tv, there's a convenience factor which even something dead simple and almost fully comprehensive like XBMC Hub can't compete against.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NatasDog posted:

The big networks will adapt and overcome if they're smart, or die a slow death like many in the music distribution industry if they don't. Some already are adapting by partnering with sites like Hulu and Amazon.

It's not exactly surprising that they work with Hulu seeing as Hulu is a joint venture of NBC, FOX, and ABC.

Hulu's 3 largest owners:
NBCUniversal Television Group (32%)
Fox Broadcasting Company (31%)
Disney-ABC Television Group (27%)

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Right, but that's my point. They're already embracing the inevitable switch to digital distribution and streaming they're seeing across other types of media. It just gets easier with every subsequent generation of hardware and software. The majority of the people who aren't embracing it now are the same people who weren't thrilled with the switch to digital music and print; namely the baby boomers. Basically the same people keeping Fox News' ratings as high as they are.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://secure.dslreports.com/shownews/As-Expected-Intel-Runs-Face-First-Into-TV-Licensing-Wall-122588

Relevant to the discussion I guess. This is looking like it'll be swatted down again. Still, I wonder how many people would forgo 24/7 cable news altogether if ala carte cable was available? Fox News has a very bad reputation outside the bubble. Maybe it'd just fall along partisan lines.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I wonder about the discrepancies in the contracts between a Hulu investor and a non investor.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, who wants to see what Glenn Beck is up to?

I do, I do! We totally haven't had enough of him and his bullshit!

All right, you little scamp, here are The Blaze's marching orders for 2013: Anybody who mentions Barack Obama's name or plays any audio of him is fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSsl9V7koO4

(I'm assuming this is hot off the presses, so I didn't check back that far. Hope it wasn't already brought up.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I wonder about the discrepancies in the contracts between a Hulu investor and a non investor.

CBS generally gets slightly worse deals on it because they wouldn't join in at the start.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I'll give you three guesses as to who Hannity blamed for the cliff deal:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/01/hannity-media-dysfunctional-and-illiterate-153187.html

Also, I don't know where else to put this, but this is something to keep an eye on. Al Jazeera is getting close to buying Current TV:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/al-jazeera-said-to-be-acquiring-current-tv/?smid=tw-share

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vertical Lime posted:

Also, I don't know where else to put this, but this is something to keep an eye on. Al Jazeera is getting close to buying Current TV:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/al-jazeera-said-to-be-acquiring-current-tv/?smid=tw-share

Is that good or bad...?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

Is that good or bad...?

It's interesting. A-J has been trying to expand their international profile for a while now, and this would be a step in the direction of becoming a legit cable news channel.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Is that good or bad...?

AJ is generally considered good but they're not without their issues. They're good in that they cover international stories that the US media or even the likes of the BBC won't touch and it's always nice to have a different point of view. However they are owned by the Qatari government after all so on certain subjects they'll be pushing the agenda that the government wants them too and you definitely won't be seeing anything that paints Qatar in a bad light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Crameltonian posted:

AJ is generally considered good but they're not without their issues. They're good in that they cover international stories that the US media or even the likes of the BBC won't touch and it's always nice to have a different point of view. However they are owned by the Qatari government after all so on certain subjects they'll be pushing the agenda that the government wants them too and you definitely won't be seeing anything that paints Qatar in a bad light.

Isn't the Qatari government ran by a monarch or dictatorship or something? I remember reading a story in Time recently about it and they threw a reporter or poet in jail for life because he wrote a piece that the government found unflattering.