Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Azran posted:

Even so, some had good/great gameplay, and that's the important bit. :v: Didn't Abnett write the Ultramarines movie, by the way?

Let's do ourselves a favor and not think or talk about the Ultramarines movie ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mechafunkzilla posted:

THQ is a publisher, not a developer. Relic and Volition are almost assuredly going to be snatched up by one of the other big publishers.

Yeah, but Relic's already been gutted pretty badly, and THQ is the one who held the 40k license, not Relic, I believe.

Also, Abnett is a decent writer, but I'm also not completely taken by his treatment of the fluff. Too much magic, and I don't entirely like his treatment of Chaos in general. Also, yes, he has a writing credit on the Ultramarines movie, which is kind of weird considering how utterly inaccurate it was (ignoring its actual quality).

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 2, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

THQ is a publisher, not a developer. Relic and Volition are almost assuredly going to be snatched up by one of the other big publishers.

And one of them might just be Ubisoft. :(

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I kinda like the story to Space Marine v:shobon:v

Does that make me a bad person?

It was a cliche rogue inquisitor dude, with a classic alien invasion with chaos in the background story. Game was dumb and super repetitive (coming from a guy with 500 hours played of Dawn of War 2 alone) although it was a well done repetitive game. Other parts that were dumb include: 3 dudes running around with 0 other marines even pictured until the end yet, they make a big deal about the Codex Astartes. Also not even a single tech priest or skiitari seen at a titan manufactorum, one of the Mechanicum's most holy sites. Game would have been so much more satisfying to just see a couple of scouts, rear end marines, commissars in the background or something just to spice it up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Why does Sanguinius killing a daemon mean all that much? N'kari died every time he showed up in Fantasy, but it never stopped him turning up randomly to piss off Aenarion's line whenever he had five minutes. Was it some warp-invasion beatdown of psychic might? I haven't gotten that far into the HH novels yet, but last I remember from the game fluff he just pulled a Bane on the thing.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Well, it's one of the (if not THE) most powerful bloodthirsters, and kicked the poo poo out of Sanguinius the first time.

But then at Terra, while Sanguinius is already beaten and bloody from holding Eternity Gate, the angel manages to defeat him for round 2. This gets him so pissed that he continues a vendetta against the Blood Angels well into M41.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Its basically just a super boss/heroic thing, even if in the end it isn't so final a resolution to this particular daemon existing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nephilm posted:

Well, it's one of the (if not THE) most powerful bloodthirsters, and kicked the poo poo out of Sanguinius the first time.

But then at Terra, while Sanguinius is already beaten and bloody from holding Eternity Gate, the angel manages to defeat him for round 2. This gets him so pissed that he continues a vendetta against the Blood Angels well into M41.

It also breaks the offense against the Eternity Gate, leading to a total route of the traitor forces, and puts Horus in the position of "challenge the Emperor one-on-one and hope to win, or surrender and die"

Really, if the Emperor had remained as cold blooded towards Horus as he was towards everyone else and waited for the reinforcements to arrive and smash the remnants of the traitor forces while they were pinned by Earth, it would have been a lot better.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Nephilm posted:

Any excuse to post this awesome pic:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was wondering why this was an issue. Didn't seem like a big deal to me beyond Sanguinius being badass.

Scoobi posted:

Betrayer spoilers: Argel Tal can't really be dead, right? Isn't he supposed to get owned at the Eternity Gate by Sanguinius?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Arquinsiel posted:

I was wondering why this was an issue. Didn't seem like a big deal to me beyond Sanguinius being badass.

Spoilers: Because Argel Tal is cool & he is supposed to die at the Eternity Gate not stabbed in the back by Erebus? Its a huge swerve from what was established in prior books & fluff.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Any excuse to post this awesome pic:

I loving love this picture. All the traitor marines are all "you fight him. No you fight him!" and Sanguinus is all "Who's next, bitches?!"

I'm sad there isn't a 40k art thread in Traditional Games, but I guess a dedicated art thread would be too specific.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

I loving love this picture. All the traitor marines are all "you fight him. No you fight him!" and Sanguinus is all "Who's next, bitches?!"

I'm sad there isn't a 40k art thread in Traditional Games, but I guess a dedicated art thread would be too specific.

There used to be one, don't know if it still exists.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Scoobi posted:

Spoilers: Because Argel Tal is cool & he is supposed to die at the Eternity Gate not stabbed in the back by Erebus? Its a huge swerve from what was established in prior books & fluff.
Oh, I was thinking he was the Bloodthirster and not a Daemon Prince. My bad, I see how that would be confusing.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

True but who knows what a new owner would do to either relic or Volition. Better the devil you know than EA or Ubisoft.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just started Battle for the Fang and goddamn these names are awful.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I think I'm about halfway through Imperial Glory, and I have to admit that I am absolutely loving it. There aren't nearly as many battles or fights as I'm used to (reading Gaunt's Ghosts or whatnot), but I actually am really liking the character of the Imperial Guard regiment presented there. Definitely has a British feel to it.

Also, has anyone else noticed how inconsistent the authors are at handling the lasgun? It's weird, Abnett treats it like a heavy caliber assault right (full auto capability, recoil, fairly heavy hitting shots, "bolts" striking surfaces) while in Imperial Glory it's treated more like a laser (gun heats up, semi-auto and has to recycle between shots, hits cause burns, doesn't hit very hard).

I have to admit I think that the second feels more "correct" than the first. From playing the tabletop and reading that fluff, the lasgun was supposed to be a super cheap mass-produced and every reliable weapon, that in great numbers can do damage, but individually is basically a laser pointer.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
In tabletop you fight in small squads against superhumans/gigantic aliens/deamons, where your lasrifles deal piddly damage. In the Ghosts series, they fight mostly against humans. Each time a xenos, deamon or space marine is fought, poo poo goes down, and gaunt has to swoop in with his power sword to be cool. I think that's where the power difference comes from. Lasguns are pretty goddamn powerful, against normal humans.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Safety Factor posted:

I just started Battle for the Fang and goddamn these names are awful.

Are you talking about the Space Wolves' names? Because there are two kinds of Space Wolf names, the Viking-inspired ones from the time of the Heresy, and the furry ones from 40k. Haven't read the book yet, but the book is closer to the Heresy than to the main 40k timeline, so... hmm.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

I think I'm about halfway through Imperial Glory, and I have to admit that I am absolutely loving it. There aren't nearly as many battles or fights as I'm used to (reading Gaunt's Ghosts or whatnot), but I actually am really liking the character of the Imperial Guard regiment presented there. Definitely has a British feel to it.

Also, has anyone else noticed how inconsistent the authors are at handling the lasgun? It's weird, Abnett treats it like a heavy caliber assault right (full auto capability, recoil, fairly heavy hitting shots, "bolts" striking surfaces) while in Imperial Glory it's treated more like a laser (gun heats up, semi-auto and has to recycle between shots, hits cause burns, doesn't hit very hard).

I have to admit I think that the second feels more "correct" than the first. From playing the tabletop and reading that fluff, the lasgun was supposed to be a super cheap mass-produced and every reliable weapon, that in great numbers can do damage, but individually is basically a laser pointer.

Yeah the flashlight analogy always comes to mind when discussing the las lock. I think in Abnett's case the las has more power because it fits better with the elite soldier theme he's running. Otherwise every trooper would need a hellfire gun. Gaunt's Ghosts are a small infiltration unit with incredible skills and experience and the Sabbat Crusade host as a whole is a professional and well managed force. This would seem out of character for the guard, which is predominantly a meat grinder, but we do have Criid's experience on Gereon as a reservist to point out that only organised regiments enjoy any real success and survivability.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah the flashlight analogy always comes to mind when discussing the las lock. I think in Abnett's case the las has more power because it fits better with the elite soldier theme he's running. Otherwise every trooper would need a hellfire gun. Gaunt's Ghosts are a small infiltration unit with incredible skills and experience and the Sabbat Crusade host as a whole is a professional and well managed force. This would seem out of character for the guard, which is predominantly a meat grinder, but we do have Criid's experience on Gereon as a reservist to point out that only organised regiments enjoy any real success and survivability.
That makes sense. I'm fine with license being taken with the equipment, it makes for a better story.

What is the las lock, anyway? I've only really seen it in Abnett's stories a couple of times, notably on Gereon. Single shot las rifle? Seems really weird.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is one of those things where both options are true depending on your story. While the Lasgun is a 'simple' design, bear in mind that we're talking simple by 40k standards: it's still a man-portable combat laser rifle. By today's standards it's magic. The number of 'shots' you get on tabletop isn't a good indicator either - they're just abstracted representations of your number of chances to wound in a given turn.

I just see it as the future equivalent of a modern day combat rifle - it has a fully-auto option but nobody actually uses it in that mode because you'll hit nothing and use up your clip in a couple of seconds.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just read Betrayer: digging down through a mountain of rubble while it skins you alive, then holding up a Titan? Goddamn Angron. :stare:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Depending on the intensity, a lasgun shot can cut right through flesh (scorching all around it) or outright blow off an unarmored limb (flash evaporation of soft tissue and cracks the bone). It's nowhere near as effective against body armor, in which autorifles with proper rounds have an advantage, but sufficient shots (either through mass or rapidfire) will get through.

It's a pretty powerful weapon, but in the context of the setting you have bolters which fire self-propelled armor piercing explosive rounds, or the space marines, which can survive a lasgun shot to the head by virtue of having really tough skulls.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

That makes sense. I'm fine with license being taken with the equipment, it makes for a better story.

What is the las lock, anyway? I've only really seen it in Abnett's stories a couple of times, notably on Gereon. Single shot las rifle? Seems really weird.
Yeah, pretty much. Think of it as the equivalent to a flintlock rifle - it will kill you dead, but if you miss, you're screwed. It's pretty much considered a ceremonial or backwater weapon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nephilm posted:

Depending on the intensity, a lasgun shot can cut right through flesh (scorching all around it) or outright blow off an unarmored limb (flash evaporation of soft tissue and cracks the bone). It's nowhere near as effective against body armor, in which autorifles with proper rounds have an advantage, but sufficient shots (either through mass or rapidfire) will get through.

It's a pretty powerful weapon, but in the context of the setting you have bolters which fire self-propelled armor piercing explosive rounds, or the space marines, which can survive a lasgun shot to the head by virtue of having really tough skulls.
In 2nd ed Lasguns were as good at penetrating armour as Bolters, they just didn't have as much of a chance of hurting the dude inside. 40k handles guns silly.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Picked up Pariah the other night. When I heard that the third trilogy was going to be Gregor VS Gideon, and would be told from the POV of Alizabeth, I was stoked. Love all of Abnett's Inquisition characters, so this book was going to be a real treat.

I'm on page 64. Does it... does it get better? Bequin shouldn't be this boring why the hell is she so boring why does she already know she's a blank why is Dan retconning the first trilogy argh!!!

I want to push through it but I'm going to be really disappointed if it doesn't get better soon.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Picked up Pariah the other night. When I heard that the third trilogy was going to be Gregor VS Gideon, and would be told from the POV of Alizabeth, I was stoked. Love all of Abnett's Inquisition characters, so this book was going to be a real treat.

I'm on page 64. Does it... does it get better? Bequin shouldn't be this boring why the hell is she so boring why does she already know she's a blank why is Dan retconning the first trilogy argh!!!

I want to push through it but I'm going to be really disappointed if it doesn't get better soon.

Keep going. And in regards to your spoiler... that's not what's going on. Pariah is really good, but starts off a little slow.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

RickVoid posted:

That's the beauty of Pariah, not everything may be what it seems.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm still rather bothered that it wasn't the original Alizabeth. Wasn't it always implied she could recover?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanSandman posted:

I'm still rather bothered that it wasn't the original Alizabeth. Wasn't it always implied she could recover?

No.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Safety Factor posted:

Keep going. And in regards to your spoiler... that's not what's going on. Pariah is really good, but starts off a little slow.

I actually skimmed the first two chapters thinking to myself "Ugh so some Alizebeth backstory.. yeah yeah whatever.. huh.. it.. contradicts the first books.. so what wait what just happened did she kill an inquisitor? I have to go back."

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

VanSandman posted:

I think when she first went into her coma... thing, it was implied they didn't know if she could or not. Then, as the series went on, including Ravenor, that they accepted that she was pretty much gone for good.

Affi posted:

I actually skimmed the first two chapters thinking to myself "Ugh so some Alizebeth backstory.. yeah yeah whatever.. huh.. it.. contradicts the first books.. so what wait what just happened did she kill an inquisitor? I have to go back."

I was the same way. Eisenhorn was the first WH40K book I read, and Ravenor was not too far after that, so I kept scratching my head wondering what was happening and if I completely forgot how the books went. After I finished Pariah, it all made sense as to what had happened, and then I went back to read the first two trilogies again just because.

I finished reading the Space Marines Battle books, (which is a pretty silly name for a series now that I type it out) "The Purging of Kadillus", which is all about Dark Angels killing Orks. It was pretty straight forward, nothing special. It was entertaining, but mostly just bolter porn. I then picked up "The Hunt for Voldorius" because it had the Alpha Legion and the White Scars in it. I loved the Alpha Legion from Abnett's books, and never read anything with the White Scars in it. I'm about half way through, and it sort of weak on the character department. All the White Scars are the same to me, and they all have Mongol names that sort of look alike too, which does not help. And then there are only two Alpha Legion characters, and one is the daemon prince from the title, who acts exactly as you think he would, and the other does just about nothing. Having said that, I do like where the story is going, especially when the White Scars meet up with another certain chapter, but it is one of the weaker books I have read. Still, only half way done, so I'll hold back on totally judging it.

Oh, and the short stories Abnett wrote about Eisenhorn and Ravenor, whose titles I cannot remember, are both very good and very, very shot. I think the one with Gregor and Nayl was like 20 pages on my Kindle, if even that.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Impaired Casing posted:

I then picked up "The Hunt for Voldorius"

Honestly it's the worst book in a series of bad books. Pick up Helsreach by Dembski-Bowden, its the only one worth reading.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ed balls balls man posted:

Honestly it's the worst book in a series of bad books. Pick up Helsreach by Dembski-Bowden, its the only one worth reading.

Well that's just a silly statement. Legion of the Damned is awesome, as is Wrath of Iron. Battle of the Fang isn't too bad either.

Socal Sapper
Jan 5, 2013
Has anybody read the new Eisenhorn vs. Ravenor book? Any good? I'm reading another book, The Stone of Tymora, currently but need something to read when I'm done.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Socal Sapper posted:

Has anybody read the new Eisenhorn vs. Ravenor book? Any good? I'm reading another book, The Stone of Tymora, currently but need something to read when I'm done.

It's called Pariah, and people have been talking about it on this page! Odd, but good is my summary. Written in a more obtuse way than the usual BL fare, not many huge action sequences but some interesting elements. Seems more like a prologue to the trilogy than an actual full book in its own right. Some people got annoyed with it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well that's just a silly statement. Legion of the Damned is awesome
Well, half of it is, anyway.

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Some people got annoyed with it.
Meh, don't listen to those people. Pariah is a good book - there is plenty of action and the end is pretty sweet.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mowglis Haircut posted:

It's called Pariah, and people have been talking about it on this page! Odd, but good is my summary. Written in a more obtuse way than the usual BL fare, not many huge action sequences but some interesting elements. Seems more like a prologue to the trilogy than an actual full book in its own right. Some people got annoyed with it.

I'm perfectly fine with it being a bit slower if it includes stuff like Eisenhorn straight up bodyslamming a traitor marine off a staircase and crushing him. I thought that was way awesome, especially considering what happened the first time he faced a traitor marine (he got lucky and killed him when he was "stunned" and the books made it obvious he stood no chance) Goes to show how far he's come (fell?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socal Sapper
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the information guys. I'm definitely going to pick it up and delve back into the Daniverse!